Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

He ain't dead! He's back a week on Thursday yo!

What !!! I thought he would be back this week, dat is bullpoo.

He's gonna have a big head and small boner when he catches up on all these threads.

We better put a plan in place to slate him when he comes back, something like "how much better was this place without Bearsy" or "So we are agreed Tokyo is the new boss of the Muppet Show".

I think Buckley and Austin are good players and could easily step up as far better squad players than those we have now. I'd throw Maloney and Kone in there as well

IMO you've got to think outside of the box, I'd wager that we do not sign one player from the NPC or a relegated club. Adkins isn't here any more. You've got to think Spain or Italy or Belgium, that's where the bargains are because of the contract structures in those lands.

IMO you've got to think outside of the box, I'd wager that we do not sign one player from the NPC or a relegated club. Adkins isn't here any more. You've got to think Spain or Italy or Belgium, that's where the bargains are because of the contract structures in those lands.
Like Clyne? You've got to keep an open mind on all options.

I think we need the following this summer.

Centre Back (1st choice)

This is the most important area where improvement is required IMO. Needs to be a real top class, international quality player. I know the rumour of Héctor Moreno of Espanyol came from a fake journo on twitter, but he would be an absolutely brilliant signing. Won over 40 caps for Mexico, won the Dutch title with AZ before moving to Spain, Espanyol's Player of the Season for 2011/12 and Pochettino was the man that signed him for them. Market value of £6.2m according to transfermarkt.co.uk. If I could choose one player for Poch to bring from his former side, it would be him.

Other names that have been mentioned - Davide Astori (Cagliari), seen plenty of him as a big follower of Serie A. A very good centre back, not as good as Moreno IMO and would be overpriced at £12-£15m for me. I'd admit to knowing next to nothing about Frickson Erazo (Barcelona SC), other than Man Utd have reportedly been looking at him too, would be the cheapest of the 3 names mentioned at a rumoured £2.5m.

Right Back (Cover)

Whilst we have Yoshida and Jack Cork who can play there, it isn't their natural positions by any means. Richardson and Butterfield will both be moved on, so we certainly could do with some quality here. We've been linked with Jesús Gámez (Malaga) for around £5m. I certainly wouldn't be removing Clyne as first choice, and I'm not sure that a player who featured in the Quarter Finals of the Champions League would be coming with a view to being 2nd choice. So that said, I think a better option (and cheaper, probably) would be a player we were linked with last summern, Kieran Trippier (Burnley). Earned a place in the Championship team of the season, and would offer a very decent alternative at RB if Clyne were ever missing, or needed to be moved over to LB. Burnley's parachute payments expire in August, so they'll probably be grateful for the money, and we could probably nab him for around £1.5m.

Left Back (Cover)

We can't expect a 17/18 year old to play 38 games, and we don't want to burn Shaw out. He already seems prone to niggling injuries, so some cover needed in this area too, as Fox is evidently not good enough at this level. Clyne can play here, and Forren is also left footed so could be used as cover if needs be, so it could be that we don't actually need to sign anybody. Struggling to think of names, but we've been linked with José Enrique (Liverpool) this morning for £5m who'd be a good signing, but again I doubt he'd be wanting to move, and definitely not to play 2nd fiddle. More realistic could be Maynor Figueroa (Wigan) who is available on a free transfer, but supposedly meant to be off to West Ham.

Defensive Midfield (Competition for starting spot)

Morgan and Corky have both had excellent seasons, but I think we could do with some more competition here. We've been linked with Radja Nainggolan (Cagliari), a real archetypal modern midfielder who would add some real quality. Could face stiff competition with some of Italy's biggest clubs for him, and Cagliari are reported to want £15m+ for him. Would be a international level signing. Last summer we were also linked with Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht) who may be a cheaper option than Nainggolan, as their Managing Director has said he can leave for about €5.5m (£4.5m). Another name we've been linked with recently would be Victor Wanyama (Celtic), at about £10m. All 3 would be very good signings.

Winger/Striker (Competition for starting spot)

I think we need a striker with genuine pace and quality, who is also versatile and can be pushed out wide if needs be. Jeremain Lens (PSV Eindhoven) was linked heavily with us last summer, and looks all but certain to leave PSV this summer. Would be a real coup for us, a marquee signing. Market value of £7m, could fetch up to £10m.

Ideal summer for me would be:

In: Trippier (£1.5m), Moreno (£6.2m), Figueroa (Free), Nainggolan (£15m), Lens (£7m). Total outlay of £29.7m.

Out: Fox (£1m), Richardson (Free), Butterfield (Free), Seaborne (Free), Stephens (Loaned out), Martin (Free), Dickson (Free), Hammond (£500K), Guly (£750K), De Ridder (£500K), Chambers (Loaned out), Isgrove (Loaned out), Chaplow (£500K), Sharp (£1.5m), Reeves (Free), Barnard (£200K), Forte (Free), Lee (£750K). Total received £5.7m

Net spend of £24m.

First XI with cover in brackets.

Boruc (Davis, Gazzaniga)

Clyne (Trippier) - Yoshida (Fonte) - Moreno (Hooiveld/Forren) - Shaw (Figeroa)

Schneiderlin (Davis) - Nainggolan (Cork)

Lens (Rodriguez/Puncheon) - Ramirez (JWP) - Puncheon (Lallana)

Rodriguez (Lambert/Mayuka)

A very strong squad there, more than capable of a top half finish.

Centre Back (1st choice)

This is the most important area where improvement is required IMO. Needs to be a real top class, international quality player. I know the rumour of Héctor Moreno of Espanyol came from a fake journo on twitter, but he would be an absolutely brilliant signing. Won over 40 caps for Mexico, won the Dutch title with AZ before moving to Spain, Espanyol's Player of the Season for 2011/12 and Pochettino was the man that signed him for them. Market value of £6.2m according to transfermarkt.co.uk. If I could choose one player for Poch to bring from his former side, it would be him.

Other names that have been mentioned - Davide Astori (Cagliari), seen plenty of him as a big follower of Serie A. A very good centre back, not as good as Moreno IMO and would be overpriced at £12-£15m for me. I'd admit to knowing next to nothing about Frickson Erazo (Barcelona SC), other than Man Utd have reportedly been looking at him too, would be the cheapest of the 3 names mentioned at a rumoured £2.5m.

Right Back (Cover)

Whilst we have Yoshida and Jack Cork who can play there, it isn't their natural positions by any means. Richardson and Butterfield will both be moved on, so we certainly could do with some quality here. We've been linked with Jesús Gámez (Malaga) for around £5m. I certainly wouldn't be removing Clyne as first choice, and I'm not sure that a player who featured in the Quarter Finals of the Champions League would be coming with a view to being 2nd choice. So that said, I think a better option (and cheaper, probably) would be a player we were linked with last summern, Kieran Trippier (Burnley). Earned a place in the Championship team of the season, and would offer a very decent alternative at RB if Clyne were ever missing, or needed to be moved over to LB. Burnley's parachute payments expire in August, so they'll probably be grateful for the money, and we could probably nab him for around £1.5m.

Left Back (Cover)

We can't expect a 17/18 year old to play 38 games, and we don't want to burn Shaw out. He already seems prone to niggling injuries, so some cover needed in this area too, as Fox is evidently not good enough at this level. Clyne can play here, and Forren is also left footed so could be used as cover if needs be, so it could be that we don't actually need to sign anybody. Struggling to think of names, but we've been linked with José Enrique (Liverpool) this morning for £5m who'd be a good signing, but again I doubt he'd be wanting to move, and definitely not to play 2nd fiddle. More realistic could be Maynor Figueroa (Wigan) who is available on a free transfer, but supposedly meant to be off to West Ham.

Morgan and Corky have both had excellent seasons, but I think we could do with some more competition here. We've been linked with Radja Nainggolan (Cagliari), a real archetypal modern midfielder who would add some real quality. Could face stiff competition with some of Italy's biggest clubs for him, and Cagliari are reported to want £15m+ for him. Would be a international level signing. Last summer we were also linked with Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht) who may be a cheaper option than Nainggolan, as their Managing Director has said he can leave for about €5.5m (£4.5m). Another name we've been linked with recently would be Victor Wanyama (Celtic), at about £10m. All 3 would be very good signings.

I think we need a striker with genuine pace and quality, who is also versatile and can be pushed out wide if needs be. Jeremain Lens (PSV Eindhoven) was linked heavily with us last summer, and looks all but certain to leave PSV this summer. Would be a real coup for us, a marquee signing. Market value of £7m, could fetch up to £10m.

In: Trippier (£1.5m), Moreno (£6.2m), Figueroa (Free), Nainggolan (£15m), Lens (£7m). Total outlay of £29.7m.

Out: Fox (£1m), Richardson (Free), Butterfield (Free), Seaborne (Free), Stephens (Loaned out), Martin (Free), Dickson (Free), Hammond (£500K), Guly (£750K), De Ridder (£500K), Chambers (Loaned out), Isgrove (Loaned out), Chaplow (£500K), Sharp (£1.5m), Reeves (Free), Barnard (£200K), Forte (Free), Lee (£750K). Total received £5.7m

Net spend of £24m.

Boruc (Davis, Gazzaniga)

Very much my thoughts except I cant see Lambert or J Rod being capable for the whole season, J Rod isnt ready yet and Id rather see someone more mobile than Rickie.

Centre Back (1st choice)

Right Back (Cover)

Left Back (Cover)

Net spend of £24m.

Boruc (Davis, Gazzaniga)

Really can't argue with much there and would be very happy if all those transfers came to pass.

Very much my thoughts except I cant see Lambert or J Rod being capable for the whole season, J Rod isnt ready yet and Id rather see someone more mobile than Rickie.

Seconded, good post (didnt want to repaste the whole thing in my reply).

JRod could be but i'd be uncomfortable knowing behind him and lambert was only mayuka!

Tripper I fancy would be more expensive and close the the five mil mark, Burnley seem to be a sensibly run outfit so wont be rushed to sell. He can cover lb as well apparently as well as playing further forward. He or Gamez should offer good versatility.

The only addition i'd make to the list of Phillips at blackpool. Pace, power and eager to prove himself at a higher level. Expect Blackpool to be forced to negotiate after his form was patchy when they rejected our approach last time around.

Good post, saints_is_the_south.

Think we will definitely see a top class centre-back join. Might see another, depending on what happens with Forren.

I'll be interested to see if what Monk posted about is true about him being saved for next season.

Lens could be play striker too though.

True, but the way we play lends itself to the need of an all rounder, Lukaku, Benteke etc Im not great with European talent TBH but someone of that ilk. Michu would have been perfect. And in fact we almost replaced Lambert for Michu in the summer but Laudrup got his man.

'best strike force', hmmmm. slight problem there. who plays with 2 proper strikers now? their whole 'success' is based on the nolan/carroll partnership. nolan seems like a good CM because he scores regularly, but he's not a CM at all, he plays off the striker. play him in a 442 and he's a liability. plus, how often do 2 giant strikers form great partnerships? you usually want them to bring something different to the table. lukaku is far better than carroll obviously, but imagine how much hoofball they'd play with those 2 up front.

have a feeling chelsea will want lukaku next season anyway.

Agree would be a hoofers charter. Their thinking isn't exactly subtle.

Think the partnership would work - both are big and pacey, a rare combination which is usually found in a little and large partnership. And West Ham doesn't need them to play on the deck or over elaborate. As long they're holding the ball up or running the channels, they'll fit the system fine. They're also pretty hardworking and regularly drop into midfield, meaning that 4-4-2 will be in name only. Unlike say Lambert, a Lukaku has the tools to create something from nothing, even from deep positions, so they'll retain a threat even if one or both players are tracking back.

I would agree. Depends who they get in this summer I suppose.

I would take Lukaku here in a heartbeat.

Absolutely this - but I doubt there's a team in the whole of the Premier League that wouldn't want him. Cracking first season for him at this level.

As for West Ham, I know they have a bit of money behind them, but if they spunk £15 million on Carroll, they surely can't have much left for other players - although their capture of Razvan Rat yesterday was clever.

Think Lukaku would fit our system really well to be honest. Pace, power, good in the air, will be a superb signing for someone this season if Chelsea get rid.

Agree completely. Lukaku is the defintion of "top 4" striker IMO.

I think Lukaku would be everyone's first choice. Definitely mine.

After him, if Carlton Cole is being released (see news today) maybe we could add him to the squad, to rotate with Lambert.

Carlton Cole?...no thanks. I hope we are aiming for better players than this. He will probably end up somewhere like Hull.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

[in: Trippier (£1.5m), Moreno (£6.2m), Figueroa (Free), Nainggolan (£15m), Lens (£7m). Total outlay of £29.7m.

Net spend of £24m.

Boruc (Davis, Gazzaniga)

Top post SitS. If thats the business we did i'd be delighted. I think i'd look to get better than Punch/Lallana and I think Ramirez will go and we'll replace with someone like Aspas or Verdu. I think we really need to concentrate on striker as well, Rickie slowed down towards the end of the season and you wonder if he could do a Grant Holt next year and struggle. If we could somehow get Lukaku or Guidetti or some Spanish/Argie Poch could drum up that would be the icing on the cake

How about

Boruc

Clyne Astori Moreno Shaw

Morgan Nainggolan

Lens Aspas JRod

SRL / A.N Other

They'd be better off buying a flair player and Lukaku and forgetting about Carroll.

They really aren't they just wouldnt be as effective without Carroll, he is basically the new Heskey, employed primarily to be a battering ram and causing chaos, you can tell nobody wants to play against him.

The way chelsea play I cant see them lending him to WHU anyways, he will go to a team that plays similarish football

I think Lukaku would be everyone's first choice. Definitely mine.

After him, if Carlton Cole is being released (see news today) maybe we could add him to the squad, to rotate with Lambert.

CARLTON COLE?!?!?!!?

Would struggle with first team at Wolves... Embarrassment he has 7 england caps

i have to disagree Matty...i think what the season showed us is that we played very well in patches but seemed to lack a plan B...also our high tempo playing style means we need to have a large squad as our players won't be able to maintain that over an average 45 game season.

Whilst we definitely need another centre back...we have no cover at right back...we need cover at left back as Fox is not good enough...we need another defensive midfielder to fill in for Morgan/Cork...definitely need more pace with a winger and i would argue that we need a big physical pacey striker as Mayuka is not likely good enough...

we have a nice spine to the team but we need 5/6 players this summer

i have to disagree Matty...i think what the season showed us is that we played very well in patches but seemed to lack a plan B...also our high tempo playing style means we need to have a large squad as our players won't be able to maintain that over an average 45 game season.

Whilst we definitely need another centre back...we have no cover at right back...we need cover at left back as Fox is not good enough...we need another defensive midfielder to fill in for Morgan/Cork...definitely need more pace with a winger and i would argue that we need a big physical pacey striker as Mayuka is not likely good enough...

we have a nice spine to the team but we need 5/6 players this summer

spot on, 100% agree with you on everything you wrote.

I think Scott Sinclair is a very good player...he would suit our style of football and his little brother plays here also which helps...however i can't help but feel that wages would be an issue.

He is currently on a reported £60k a week which is pretty hefty...and while i think he would take a pay cut to come to Saints...would he take below say £45k?? i would say not...which means he could come on loan and City could supplement his wages or he takes a big wage cut...i don't see us going for loans.

A player like Lens would probably cost a similar amount to Sinclair...7-8 million euro but would probably take a lower wage...around 20-30k i would think... and we would be getting an established international...

Be interesting to see where we go...i imagine a pacy winger must be very high on MP's summer wish list

Scott Sinclair would be a risky signing. Has had so many clubs and loan spells that its hard to judge how well he could do at SFC. Given the risk, I doubt NC will go for him unless its a cheap transfer fee and he takes a wage cut. As he may not fancy a wage cut, even if offered an increase based on performance, my guess is this won't happen.