Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

I believe Turkish said 'fast', John Terry is many things but he is not fast, although he does prove that top level defenders don't need to be quick.

Easily take JT the centre-back, if JT the man did come with him.

And more to the point not many of them are, despite pace being on the wishlist for most people on here.

I suspect we are aiming too high - in other words Cortese is being too ambitious. What we should be looking at is sustained improvement year on year, then in 2-3 years time we can aim to attract the bigger fish. Italian internationals will not come here.

http://www.clubcall.com/southampton/pochettinos-spanish-target-to-reveal-all-1599027.html

Southampton are understood to be in the race to sign Espanyol midfielder Joan Verdu, who will announce his future plans on Thursday.

Verdu, 30, looks set to walk out of the Spanish club and is highly rated by Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino - who worked with him for three seasons in La Liga.

The ex-Deportivo La Coruna player's contract with Espanyol is set to expire at the end of the month and the two sides have yet to make any progress in renewal talks.

A number of clubs are vying for the La Masia graduate's signature on a free transfer, but Southampton look to be in pole position.

Pochettino was in charge at Espanyol when Verdu signed on a free transfer in 2009 and made him skipper as the unhashionable Barcelona-based club finished 11th and eighth in consecutive Primera Division campaigns.

Atletico Madrid are also thought to be strong contenders for Verdu's signature but the player will announce his plans at a press conference on Thursday.

I suspect we are aiming too high - in other words Cortese is being too ambitious. What we should be looking at is sustained improvement year on year, then in 2-3 years time we can aim to attract the bigger fish. Italian internationals will not come here.

I expect we aren't really looking for all that many players...4 at the outside and that the "field" will be very narrow. Can only see us being interested in a CB (probably Astori) a FB (probably Gamez) and a striker with an AM being an option if we can find a good deal.

Might still happen, there can be loads of reasons for delays.

Wonder if there is anything in this Verdu story or if its yet more lazy journalism.

Undoubtedly this. Is there an Espanyol player we haven't been linked with since MP came here?

Could be verdu that Monk is referring to and we'll gave it announced tomorrow at some conference or another.

Tomorrow at 13:00 (CET) according to this....

http://www.marca.com/2013/06/12/futbol/equipos/espanyol/1371038488.html

Joan Verdú will this Thursday, at 13.00 a press conference to announce his future. The Catalan midfielder takes more than a year negotiating the renewal with the Catalan institution, your link just the 30th of this month, and last Monday's meeting reconfirmed that the positions between the two sides are far apart, economically. So it seems that the former player of Depor communicate its decision not to attend as Espanyol and therefore, the other offers, the League and abroad, that have arrived in recent months.

Verdú has been a core player in the scheme of Espanyol since arriving in the summer of 2009. This past year, for example, has played 36 of the 38 league games played.

1371038488_extras_noticia_foton_7_1.jpg

I suspect there'll be no signings announced before the end of June, then they'll reveal 2 or 3, maybe 4 signings along with the kit launch. That's if they can keep everything quiet until then.

People often say this but have we ever revealed signings along with a Kit?

Surely its better for the media team to spread out what happens anyway?

Hooper is a good player IMO, not slow, good feet, good in the air and has scored goals everywhere and in Europe. Unfortunately The SFL is a poor standard so it will still be a risk. Still, at 4-6 mil he could end up a steal.

Agree. Have to remember too that he has been doing well for over 2 years and will have been watched extensively. Yet no real big team has moved for him.

Agree. Have to remember too that he has been doing well for over 2 years and will have been watched extensively. Yet no real big team has moved for him.

Not sure what his wages are, and last season Celtic wanted in excess of 10-12 mil, which is a lot even for someone of his scoring record who is technically untried in a top division.

At 4-6 mil it is probably worth the risk, dependant of wages.

I could see him joining a bottom half of the table side for that and doing v well.

Id actually be happy with his signing if Im honest

Is that true? What his record? If it's just a handful of games I don't think it proves much.

dunno. but we say lambert is brilliant for scoring against the best.

so has Hooper in the Champions league.

like Lambert, I believe hooper wills score goals at every level. Whether he would suit our style, I have no idea

dunno. but we say lambert is brilliant for scoring against the best.

so has Hooper in the Champions league.

like Lambert, I believe hooper wills score goals at every level. Whether he would suit our style, I have no idea

Hooper has scored 2 against Spartak Moscow, 1 against Helsingborg and 1 against Braga as far as I can make out.

Hooper has scored 2 against Spartak Moscow, 1 against Helsingborg and 1 against Braga as far as I can make out.

ah well, from what I have seen he is a real goal scorer and would score goals for most premier league side if the system is right.

2 goals every 3 games for celtic

Looking more and more likely to be Verdu IMO. Not going to start a season ticket frenzy but decent enough player

I think he is a good player but I am not so sure the club would like him announcing he is joining us rather than them doing it all in the usual way. Unless he just confirms he is leaving Espanyol tomorrow without saying where he is going.

Then there is the small matter of Pochettino apparently saying he wouldn't sign any player from Espanyol. Appreciate he'd be leaving on a Free Transfer but still, the sentiment is the same.

I think he is a good player but I am not so sure the club would like him announcing he is joining us rather than them doing it all in the usual way. Unless he just confirms he is leaving Espanyol tomorrow without saying where he is going.

Then there is the small matter of Pochettino apparently saying he wouldn't sign any player from Espanyol. Appreciate he'd be leaving on a Free Transfer but still, the sentiment is the same.

Didn't realise MP said about not signing players from espanyol. Maybe it will be someone totally out if the blue.

Wonder if there is anything in this Verdu story or if its yet more lazy journalism.

How will we know? Even if he signs we can never know for sure what's been said is 100% correct - equally, if he doesn't, the journalism could still be perfectly sound but we'll never know what happened. Things change in football but very few people will go on the record about deals and negotiations, so they are hard to verify for readers.

Edited by DuncanRG