Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

The level of player the fans expect, the club expects and the media expect seems to be fairly different at the moment. One minute we've got Torres on stand by in case a better deal falls through, the next were trawling the Championship to replace key players. Will be interesting to see who we actually end up attracting to the club.

The level of player the fans expect, the club expects and the media expect seems to be fairly different at the moment. One minute we've got Torres on stand by in case a better deal falls through, the next were trawling the Championship to replace key players. Will be interesting to see who we actually end up attracting to the club.

I think we're just making sure we're informed of all movements in the market. A large part of our scouting and recruitment is our network - not just paid employees but also contacts around the world who will inform us of what is going on. Long gone are the days of only having one target to fill a need, I suspect we're keeping tabs on hundreds of players and in every single position no matter whether we've got a perceived need in some positions more than others.

It's clear we're both very active scouting players and also making sure we've got an interest enough in players to be informed of what is happening with them. It makes it both easy for the media to misinterpret and fans alike around our intentions. It's just a big game these days.

I think we're just making sure we're informed of all movements in the market. A large part of our scouting and recruitment is our network - not just paid employees but also contacts around the world who will inform us of what is going on. Long gone are the days of only having one target to fill a need, I suspect we're keeping tabs on hundreds of players and in every single position no matter whether we've got a perceived need in some positions more than others.

It's clear we're both very active scouting players and also making sure we've got an interest enough in players to be informed of what is happening with them. It makes it both easy for the media to misinterpret and fans alike around our intentions. It's just a big game these days.

I agree with what youre saying completely however the figures on here, twitter, the papers etc. on how much we'll spend on individual players/in total have a fairly wide range. Whilst maybe not clear from what I said I was more referring to expectations that don't necessarily stem from concrete rumour - our perceived ambition based upon last season, our current squad, how we match up to others etc.

Saint Charlie...i vividly still remember the Javier De Pedro saga that ruined my summer...or when we desperate for a left winger and went after Da Marcus Beasley...only to end up with that footballing genius Neil McCann...i remember my mate who was a photographer for Saints telling me he couldn't even beat the Eastleigh right back, confirmed what i already knew...he was toilet...that is when you need FM to escape the brutal reality...ha ha

Indeed. Plus, he rejected a Russian or Ukrainian team last year I think so might not be overly keen on going there.

If we did sign him would it be the longest successful transfer saga in SW history? Or was Skacel longer?

Gaston. Now that WAS a saga. On off on off on off on off ON! Conflicting reports, Italians saying deal off, Nixon saying we're being used, suddenly Spurs apparently get bid accepted etc. That was painful.

Mate saw Saints speaking with a Spanish player in De Vere Grand Harbour last week and a translator and member of the FA was also there. I have no idea if this is true or not but this guy doesn't support Saints and spends a lot of time in the hotel as he uses it as his base when he goes on cruises etc.

And yes, I found it strange that there would need to be a member of the FA there too but who knows what goes on these days. He said the translator was a fit female.

Treat with suspicion and as a rumour but he thinks the guy he saw looked like Victor Ruiz after a quick google.

There you go, a messy rumour.

Is Astori actually worth the tears, pain, sweat before I start painfully sweating tears??

If we are trying to sign him then its likely to drag on for quite a bit longer. Astori is in Rio with the Italian team at the moment - they play Haiti tonight in a friendly and then play confederations cup games up to at least the 22nd of June. Can't see any deal being struck until late June at the earliest.

As for whether he is worth it, who knows? As an Italian defender supposedly coveted by AC Milan you'd think he'd be fairly handy.

But his stats don't make for great reading. By Jan of last season, he was considered the most error-prone outfield player in the top 5 European leagues, one place above our Jos. Imagine the havoc those two, played together, could wreak.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/i8p0b6r00u69gbekopyj6g/Show/Player-Focus-Error-Prone-Outfielders

Mate saw Saints speaking with a Spanish player in De Vere Grand Harbour last week and a translator and member of the FA was also there. I have no idea if this is true or not but this guy doesn't support Saints and spends a lot of time in the hotel as he uses it as his base when he goes on cruises etc.

And yes, I found it strange that there would need to be a member of the FA there too but who knows what goes on these days. He said the translator was a fit female.

Treat with suspicion and as a rumour but he thinks the guy he saw looked like Victor Ruiz after a quick google.

A Spanish player or a Spanish speaking player ? Could make a lot of difference on the WP front and as the FA give their accord on those.............

The club have far too much class to conduct business in a fading and failing 4* hotel slap bang in the City centre. Far more likely to use one of the many more discreet and affluent New Forest venues I'd have thought.

The club have far too much class to conduct business in a fading and failing 4* hotel slap bang in the City centre. Far more likely to use one of the many more discreet and affluent New Forest venues I'd have thought.

Must be a Portsmouth signing then.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I thought we normally went for Costas, Southampton Airport?

I seem to recall Poch saying his language tutor during the summer was female. Could be something in this.

have to say not keen on a centre half who can't dominate in the air...Crouch was all over our centre halves on the last day and i was hoping we could get a centre back who has pace and get dominate in the air...

Fonte is not great in the air and neither is Yoshida

have to say not keen on a centre half who can't dominate in the air...Crouch was all over our centre halves on the last day and i was hoping we could get a centre back who has pace and get dominate in the air...

Fonte is not great in the air and neither is Yoshida

You are going to be disapointed. Not many of those around and the ones that do are worth £20m upwards. The reality is a 15stone big, powerful dominating centre half is not going to be as quick as an 11 stone winger as well. Seriously, have a think and name the ones that are big and strong dominant in the area and quick as well.

i do f*cking love terry thomas! I see a movie called something i can't remember bout him being a c*nt to this other dude and they're playing tennis and every time other dude misses old terry thomas was going "Hard cheese!" in enthusiastic voice, he was cracking me up yo!

Edit: I just find out he is dead tho. Poor terry thomas. HCDAJFU

You are going to be disapointed. Not many of those around and the ones that do are worth £20m upwards. The reality is a 15stone big, powerful dominating centre half is not going to be as quick as an 11 stone winger as well. Seriously, have a think and name the ones that are big and strong dominant in the area and quick as well.

Des Walker!!! now all we need is a time machine

Thiago Silva is the only one i can think of. So he is completely out of the question, one of the best center backs in the world.

Thiago Silva is the only one i can think of. So he is completely out of the question, one of the best center backs in the world.

Felipe Santana is of a similar mold to Silva. Although seems unlikely he would leave Dortmund despite not being a regular starter due to Hummels and Subotic.

i rest my case. what we he cost, £30m?

nearer 40 with the add ons...49 million euros anyway.. Plus tax free (ie he doesn't pay it, PSG do) salary of around 780K euros a month. So about 150K £ a week net,would cost PSG somewhere around a million and a half a month with tax and social charges, really you're getting into the realms of the unreal at that sort of salary. No player is worth that much, I mean he does a decent job but PSG still lose matches.

nearer 40 with the add ons...49 million euros anyway.. Plus tax free (ie he doesn't pay it, PSG do) salary of around 780K euros a month. So about 150K £ a week net,would cost PSG somewhere around a million and a half a month with tax and social charges, really you're getting into the realms of the unreal at that sort of salary. No player is worth that much, I mean he does a decent job but PSG still lose matches.

Exactly. So the only big, powerful, dominante centre half who is also very quick we can find in the whole of Europe would cost us 49 million Euros and 780k a month wages. I think we might have to forget about the pace attribute in our search for a centre back.

Douglas Franco Texeira from Twente - 6ft 4 centre back with pace - a Brazilian with a Dutch passport - out of contrct and on a free transfer

Seen his name pop up loads on various football transfer pages with clubs like Newcastle, Fulham and us and still no one has signed him...wonder if there is a reason why.