Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Jos is a better player probably. Anyway if you're looking at defenders from Lyon Umtiti is the kiddy you want, good at CB and very very comfortable at LB as well. Only 19

Reeeeeeeeeeeeally don't rate Lovren but meh, if he signs, will wish him all the best. Seen him loads of times this season though and he really isn't worth £2m, let alone £10m. :-(

Marquinos from Roma would be a decent signing I reckon.

Wanted by Real Madrid and Barcelona, both of whom have had €25m and €20m bids rejected by Roma. He'd be more than a decent signing, he's one of the best, if not the best young defender in Europe, but he will not be signing for Southampton, absolutely no chance (same as Lamela and Pjanic!)

Wanted by Real Madrid and Barcelona, both of whom have had €25m and €20m bids rejected by Roma. He'd be more than a decent signing, he's one of the best, if not the best young defender in Europe, but he will not be signing for Southampton, absolutely no chance (same as Lamela and Pjanic!)

Haha! Right fair enough. Forget about that one then!

Reeeeeeeeeeeeally don't rate Lovren but meh, if he signs, will wish him all the best. Seen him loads of times this season though and he really isn't worth £2m, let alone £10m. :-(
Never heard of the lad, but surely he must be decent if he's a regular for Lyon and Croatia? Edited by Sour Mash

According to the French press, we have made a 10m euros offer for him. Lyon are keen to sell because it will allow them to purchase other players. Lovren has slipped down the pecking order this season becoming 4th choice center back, so from Lyon's perspective the offer is more than they had hoped. They bought him for 9,5m euros in 2010 so to recoup that is an excellent piece of business. The player though is not sure because he wants to play for a big club (Liverpool, AC Milan)

http://www.mercato365.com/ligue-1/southampton-offre-pour-lovren-1031399.shtml

Judging from the fan's comments at the bottom of the page, they seem happy to be selling him.

According to the French press, we have made a 10m euros offer for him. Lyon are keen to sell because it will allow them to purchase other players. Lovren has slipped down the pecking order this season becoming 4th choice center back, so from Lyon's perspective the offer is more than they had hoped. They bought him for 9,5m euros in 2010 so to recoup that is an excellent piece of business. The player though is not sure because he wants to play for a big club (Liverpool, AC Milan)

http://www.mercato365.com/ligue-1/southampton-offre-pour-lovren-1031399.shtml

Judging from the fan's comments at the bottom of the page, they seem happy to be selling him.

Sounds like we could get better with £9m.

Raul Baena, 24, defensive midfielder, free transfer from Espanyol according to The Sun.

"SOUTHAMPTON want to sign Spanish defensive midfielder Raul Baena on a free.

Baena, 24, can leave Espanyol where he played under Mauricio Pochettino.

The Saints boss wants competition for Morgan Schneiderlin and Jack Cork."

Article from 2010 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1322319/Arsenal-keeping-tabs-Espanyol-midfielder-Jose-Raul-Baena.html

Edited by itchen_dan

So far we have been linked with Victor Ruiz, Joan Verdu, Raul Baena, Phillipe Coutinho and Jose Callejon who all played under Pochettino at Espanyol - and Hector Moreno who plays there now.

I have a feeling we will end up with at least one of them (ignoring Coutinho who made the wrong decision and went to Scousepool) - but how much of it is just easy paper talk.

If we had to pick one I'd go for Jose Callejon to fill the gap on the right wing - he's a pacey wide right forward which is exactly what we need.

However I think it will be Victor Ruiz as Valencia need the money - and I think Pochettino sees him as cover for centre back and holding midfielder.

So far we have been linked with Victor Ruiz, Joan Verdu, Raul Baena, Phillipe Coutinho and Jose Callejon who all played under Pochettino at Espanyol - and Hector Moreno who plays there now.

I have a feeling we will end up with at least one of them (ignoring Coutinho who made the wrong decision and went to Scousepool) - but how much of it is just easy paper talk.

If we had to pick one I'd go for Jose Callejon to fill the gap on the right wing - he's a pacey wide right forward which is exactly what we need.

However I think it will be Victor Ruiz as Valencia need the money - and I think Pochettino sees him as cover for centre back and holding midfielder.

I'd pick Moreno out of all of them. Sadly that rumour only came from a fake twitter journo. Top class CB, over 40 international caps for Mexico, won the Dutch title with AZ before moving to Spain where he picked up Espanyol's player of the year award in his first season. He was actually signed under Pochettino's tenure too (June 2011). Good age at 25, so just about to enter his prime. Ruiz would be decent too but Moreno is better IMO. Chelsea have been linked with him recently, on Mourinho's very long wish list apparently.

Callejon would be a great signing.

Napoli & Liverpool (surprise) seem to be interested for around £8m.

(Same price tag as the rumoured 'el zorro' who we supposedly are after).

Isn't someone supposed to be signing a contact with us today? Or was that just a made up story.

Somebody somewhere said Astori is flying over to sign this weekend, but not sure how reliable the information is (he's between international matches this Saturday).

Part of the problem is that the CBs are not good 1v1 so we have added Davis into the mix who doesnt give as much going forward as Gaston but allows a better team shape to protect the CBs. Davis is a solid, tidy player but not someone that opposition defences would be worried about - perhaps an indication of why we struggled to score towards the end of the season. Often when GR was playing it was out wide which is not his best role, and not where he is used for Uruguay.

If we had a better player on the right who could really take the game to the opposition and then a more mobile striker, Ramirez would be perfect as the advanced CM of the three.

very good analysis. That right midfield position seemed to be filled by Puncheon for a period last season and he linked very well with Clyne, but he needs competition and not from Gaston. Thomas Ince perhaps?

Kone £6.5m buy out clause is enticing. Fortune on a free from WBA would out some strength up the middle.

Perhaps I'm shopping with the wromng budget, but paying big is niot always neccessary.

very good analysis. That right midfield position seemed to be filled by Puncheon for a period last season and he linked very well with Clyne, but he needs competition and not from Gaston. Thomas Ince perhaps?

Kone £6.5m buy out clause is enticing. Fortune on a free from WBA would out some strength up the middle.

Perhaps I'm shopping with the wromng budget, but paying big is niot always neccessary.

Saw something on Twitter earlier about Palace bidding for Ince. If so we should get in there.

Stoke have made a significant bid for Wanyama apparently.

but aren't all top clubs on the entire planet falling over themselves to give Celtic billions of £s for him?

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, SPL is too weak to make any sort of judgement on it's players.

Very much speculation from a variety of non ITK (as far as I know) sources, wouldn't even go as far as to say Id buy into this but figured I may as well share it. Apparently a real clincher in the Ramirez was a large signing on fee of £1m plus a very large agent fee. Ramirez then put real pressure on Bologna to let him go so he could complete the move. Heard that we are actually very interested in Erik Lamela and that Cortese is confident he can pull off a similar pitch to Lamela + agent to bring him to the club. In addition to this, the promise of a very big signing (Lamela) to push the club up into European contention is being used to keep hold of Shaw, Scheniderlin and Gaston. I realise that this is a bit of a rehash of some common knowledge and speculation however there are a few things that it does tie in with. a) Ramirez joining a newly promoted side over Liverpool/Spurs b) Cortese's statements about the ambition of the club c) Nixons big Italian signing d) Ramirez's recent comments about his desire to stay rather than join big Italian clubs e) Lamela's 2012/13 salary was around 1.2 million euros (around £20K a week) and given the financial state of most Italian club maybe there's a substantial financial incentive for him to move. Feel free to shoot it down but as I said before just relaying a bit of gossip!!!

Saw something on Twitter earlier about Palace bidding for Ince. If so we should get in there.

Was in the sun this morning, bid £4m - seems low even though he's only got a year left on his contract given Liverpool were supposed to have bid £8m and upwards last year

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4960129/Ian-Holloway-in-4m-Crystal-Palace-bid-for-Blackpools-Tom-Ince.html

Update on Naiggolan: Tancredi Palmeri doesn't think there is much in the rumours about him coming here:

David Field ‏@Berbarotica 1h

@tancredipalmeri Any truth in the rumours of Fulham interested in Nainggolan?

Tancredi Palmeri Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 1h

@Berbarotica yes there is truth, Fulham is interested. It's very complicated though, expensive with many competitors

David Field David Field ‏@Berbarotica 1h

@tancredipalmeri Fulham won't have the money to compete with other clubs, especially if Cagliari want 15m euros

Alex Tait ‏@alextaitsfc 1h

@tancredipalmeri @Berbarotica Southampton still interested Tancredi?

Tancredi Palmeri Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 1h

@alextaitsfc @Berbarotica no evidence in this window

but aren't all top clubs on the entire planet falling over themselves to give Celtic billions of £s for him?

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole, SPL is too weak to make any sort of judgement on it's players.

Indeed.

I wonder if our scouts at the Under-21 Championships have been impressed by Twente's Leroy Fer?

He's a much better player in my opinion and would cost less.

What about the Champions League?

Why a left footed Cb? Why not any good Cb?

MP seemed to prefer playing with a left footed CB on the left side of the pair and a right footed CB on the right side. Do you want Jos Hooiveld playing a whole season?

What about the Champions League?

just a handful of matches, players can always raise their game for short periods, that's why Arsenal get beaten by Blyth Spartans or something like that in the Cup and Bradford make the league cup final.But at the end of the day player quality dictates whether the player will be able to perform consistently over a 40 odd game season and when you have matches against sides who are probably below League 1 standard every other week you just can't tell.

Because left footers are better than right footers, simple. :)

left handers orientate themselves better in space because they use both halves of the brain, everyone knows that. Think Morgan is left handed but uses his right foot more often...but that's basic french coaching for you.

MP seemed to prefer playing with a left footed CB on the left side of the pair and a right footed CB on the right side. Do you want Jos Hooiveld playing a whole season?

. Adkins was obsessed by this and used to go on about. Vidic and Ferdinand are both right footed and it doesn't seem to have caused Man U too many problems over the years. Give me a big strong centre half who can head, mark and tackle properly first, worry about what footed he is later.

Sorry, where did I say I believed it?!

Anyway it was just speculation on Glasgow's part when faced with the reality that a bloke who's playing in Prague on Friday evening and off to Brazil on Sunday could only in theory sign for Saints on Saturday. He was just being petulant as per usual.