PRE-SEASON: Southampton vs Beşiktaş - (17:30 BST)

Saint-Armstrong

Why? They have only been in full training for a couple of days after extended breaks.

The rest of the squad have had 4 weeks of training and tactical work in build up to this game.

So 2 professional footballers who have played games recently and who are expected to keep up a reasonable level of fitness anyway are not deemed capable of playing 45mins.

I would of thought this would aid their programme.

So 2 professional footballers who have played games recently and who are expected to keep up a reasonable level of fitness anyway are not deemed capable of playing 45mins.

I'm sure this has more to do with the risk of getting injured then with them not being fit enough to be on the pitch. Because they've had such a short break the management has decided that they need a break now so that this doesn't lead to exhaustion later on or even worse injuries.

Of course they could feasibly play 45 minutes tonight, but in modern sport it would be highly unusual for a sportsman to go from starting full training after a break to playing in a match within days.

cant believe yoshida and Ramirez are not fit enough for 45 mins.

They probably are fit enough for 45 minutes, but not much good if as a result they miss the start of the season through injury is it. It takes time to build up fitness pre-season. Their fitness levels probably are not too bad anyway, having played competitively more recently than most of the squad.

1. MP has seen more of Yoshida than any other FB in the squad

2. Maybe MP wants to see whether Jos or Jose is better as first backup.

3. Maybe MP wants a look at Stephens & Turnbull

4. Maybe Yoshida needs a rest

Not really sure what type of team we are going forward, hard to work out what we are trying to do to score, if that makes sense. This isn't 4-2-3-1 its 4-4-1-1 and not enough support to Jay.

My concern too. Still too much 'possession without product'.

Not really sure what type of team we are going forward, hard to work out what we are trying to do to score, if that makes sense. This isn't 4-2-3-1 its 4-4-1-1 and not enough support to Jay.

Agree, no clear approach to breakdown last 3rd, maybe as a result of the type of CM we have, no one to unlock the door ?

Agree, no clear approach to breakdown last 3rd, maybe as a result of the type of CM we have, no one to unlock the door ?

I think its the tactics. Flood midfield and keep possession - which is fine if you have the pace for a quick breakaway attack - we mostly don't. JRod cant do it all by himself. Can see us getting tonked by the long ball again next season.

Me neither. And anyone tempted by Bet365 don't bother. Unless I'm doing something wrong the biggest stream I can get is about a third of the screen width.

Try right-clicking on the image and toggle through the "stretching options". Should be on the menu with something like Stretching is Uniform or Stretching is None.