PRE-SEASON: Southampton vs Beşiktaş - (17:30 BST)

Saint-Armstrong

Wanyamma was again a rock, winning stuff in the middle. A bit impetuous, and maybe didnt run back a couple of times when he should have, but really he brings so much to the middle. We havent had someone like him since Jimmy Case.

Whoa... Major, major statement... I've waited half my life to hear those words... I sure hope so Alpine... I surely do.. Case was my favourite Saint growing up.. A real enforcer and protector of the youth.. Combined with tremendous passing ability.. Cor.. I'm salivating at the thought.

It's something of a shock to hear Alpine's comments when he actually _watches_ a game: more please!

Just watched the highlights; Mayuka's goal in particular was a cracker, and SD needs to learn how to finish, though there wasn't too much wrong with the chip. Nice left-footed finish by Isgrove with the defender coming in on his right and a classic RL goal. From the highlights not the worse friendly I've ever seen.

Steven Davis should´ve just played the ball forward to his left a few yards for Mayuka to run it in....

But as it was i friendly that forgivable.

Mayuka can be a revelation this year if he finds a bit of confidence and gets to score a few more imo.

Mayuka can be a revelation this year if he finds a bit of confidence and gets to score a few more imo.

So begins the changing of the tide for the fickle fanbase. Not you specifically, but if he scores again we will be clamouring over him all of a sudden. Same happened with Rodriguez last year!

Some very nice goals, going from the highlights (cheers, Chudsaint).

Makes me rather excited about next season; Mayuka's goal was out of the top drawer. Two of the goals were off left feet as well. Nice to have in the locker.

So begins the changing of the tide for the fickle fanbase. Not you specifically, but if he scores again we will be clamouring over him all of a sudden. Same happened with Rodriguez last year!

I know and agree, fans are fickle.

But regarding Mayuka I´ve never counted him out. I think he has raw talents in his game but that he´s not educated enough yet for the game at this level.

I think that can go for a lot of African youngsters though cause they are more about improvisation in their game rather than it is structured...

But if we do sign a new, "big name" striker, will Mayuka even get in our first choice match day squad of 18 regardless of how well he does in pre season?

I know and agree, fans are fickle.

But regarding Mayuka I´ve never counted him out. I think he has raw talents in his game but that he´s not educated enough yet for the game at this level.

I think that can go for a lot of African youngsters though cause they are more about improvisation in their game rather than it is structured...

The most honest answer a football fan can give is 'I don't know', as the saying goes.

Okay, that's not a saying, but it should be.

But if we do sign a new, "big name" striker, will Mayuka even get in our first choice match day squad of 18 regardless of how well he does in pre season?

Probably not regularly, but we'd have our four choices like the best teams do.

The most honest answer a football fan can give is 'I don't know', as the saying goes.

Okay, that's not a saying, but it should be.

Probably not regularly, but we'd have our four choices like the best teams do.

But they have a lot more games in which to play them all.

but, as RL observed on Wednesday it's the getting match fit that's important not the score. Let's not get too far forward as it seems now Pochettino has no idea who is starting XI should be... Fox, Guly... see what I mean.

cause you always play your best XI in preseason games......oh wait...

They're doing my head in, they make exactly the same noise no matter what's happening, if they score, if we score, if someone chins the ref it's just continual woah-woah-woah-woah-woah-wooooah clap clap clap.

They do that. I went to their stadium when working in Istanbul and it was very, very noisy. Quite an experience.

Absolutely knackered after driving back to Vienna. What a great few days. Thoroughly enjoyed the game sitting next to Alpine and I think his summary mirrors my views.

Really pleased for Lloyd. What a really lovely lad.

Many positives today.

Anyway I'm off to bed. Good nite all!!!!!!

Yes. One of the pre season videos also showed him scoring a cracker in training. He also took all the Eng U19set pieces.

The boy seems to have developed a skill of dead ball scenarios. He was crossing a fair bit too for the corners.

Whoa... Major, major statement... I've waited half my life to hear those words... I sure hope so Alpine... I surely do.. Case was my favourite Saint growing up.. A real enforcer and protector of the youth.. Combined with tremendous passing ability.. Cor.. I'm salivating at the thought.

Yes he was like a rock............in that he didn't move much. The days of midfield enforcers are long over by the way. Sad but true.