Norwich going for it,

Barry Sanchez

They have made a couple of decent signings and they will be stronger than last season 110% but is this squad better than ours?

GOALKEEPERS

D Rudd, J Ruddy, M Bunn.

DEFENDERS

D S Ayala, J Garrido, R Martin, S Whittaker, S Bassong, M Turner, L Barnett, R Bennett.

MIDFIELDERS

B Johnson, R Snodgrass, J Howson, A Surman, A Pilkington, W Hoolahan, D Fox, E Bennett, J Butterfield, A Tettey, N Redmond.

STRIKERS

R Van Wolfswinkel, J Vaughan, K Kamara, L Becchio, J Murphy, G Hooper.

NO.

Was that you pretending to be Dalek2003, or your own view? I hope its the former. ;)

It's what he will say. I would say only Van Wolfswinkel would definitely make our starting lineup and the players we have signed will improve our first XI. Quality over quantity.

Fair enough to Norwich but IMO we are buying from the market just above them.

It's what he will say. I would say only Van Wolfswinkel would definitely make our starting lineup and the players we have signed will improve our first XI. Quality over quantity.

I agree entirely. The market just above is harder to deal with, more complicated and therefore takes longer. You're typically buying players who people really don't want to sell, from leagues that can compete with the Prem in quality, from Chairmen who want every last million.

Just look at Bale to Real Madrid, Fàbregas to Man Utd etc. No doubt the SaintsWeb experts think these clubs are also badly managing their transfers as the deals haven't been done yet.

The interest in Norwich is understandable. A similar sized club to Saints with a similar recent history.Both clubs provincial with a loyal but similar size fan base. Both clubs are well matched. What is intriguing is the different approach of the two clubs to the transfer market. I think Norwich will be solid mid table next season, Saints to struggle around the relegation zone.

Just go and support Chelski if you seriously think that. We will not be around the relegation zone, you have a lower opinion of Saints than every other poster on this site or you are just a complete WUM.

I saw some other genius use the quality over quantity line on this thread earlier. Shame most of the foot stamping, toys out of the prammers on here can't grasp this.

Interesting to see how many pundits are still tipping Norwich to struggle this season, and Sunderland for that matter. I don't really think such a scattergun approach to signings is all that wise.

I mostly agree with your post though, I can't see Norwich going down personally, but I don't think they'll place that highly either. Just middle along.

I'm unsure on RVW, I'm always a bit sceptical of players linked with mega money (£20m+ if that counts as mega money) moves to top clubs, only for them to not materialise and a while later end up at a significantly smaller club. No offence to Norwich, but I don't think it's unfair to call them significantly smaller than Man Utd, who were linked with him a while back.

Edited by KelvinsRightGlove

The interest in Norwich is understandable. A similar sized club to Saints with a similar recent history.Both clubs provincial with a loyal but similar size fan base. Both clubs are well matched. What is intriguing is the different approach of the two clubs to the transfer market. I think Norwich will be solid mid table next season, Saints to struggle around the relegation zone.

I'll ignore the bit in bold for now.

I agree with the rest and would also add that from what little I know, they are also attempting to get the Academy right up there with the best. I have a friend who's kid has been at Charlton for years. He's got a number of clubs after him including Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Norwich. He said that along with ourselves and Spurs, Norwich are really trying to get the kids playing the right way. They're also trying to tempt youngsters from other areas by offering them boarding and a place at a private school from year seven or eight.

Just go and support Chelski if you seriously think that. We will not be around the relegation zone, you have a lower opinion of Saints than every other poster on this site or you are just a complete WUM.

OK. Just to fall in line , here we go. I think we have a great squad. We should have a solid season and will most probably finish in the top 10. We are fast becoming a force to be reckoned with. I am sure we will make a few more key signings in the £20 million mark.

I'm unsure on RVW, I'm always a bit sceptical of players linked with mega money (£20m+ if that counts as mega money) moves to top clubs, only for them to not materialise and a while later end up at a significantly smaller club. No offence to Norwich, but I don't think it's unfair to call them significantly smaller than Man Utd, who were linked with him a while back.

Hoping Victor proves this theory wrong for me this year.

The same posters that say our transfer policy is wrong compared to Norwich's will be the same ones that complain that when we only spend 8.5 million on a player that we are not being ambitious enough in our transfer policy to get us in the top 4 or 6 in the league.

OK. Just to fall in line , here we go. I think we have a great squad. We should have a solid season and will most probably finish in the top 10. We are fast becoming a force to be reckoned with. I am sure we will make a few more key signings in the £20 million mark.

Not sure about further signings but agree with rest

The same posters that say our transfer policy is wrong compared to Norwich's will be the same ones that complain that when we only spend 8.5 million on a player that we are not being ambitious enough in our transfer policy to get us in the top 4 or 6 in the league.

Again, as part of the policy of falling in line, I am sure you are right.

The point I am trying to make is Norwich have seen a weakness on their squad and have bought good players in to fill it, we have a gap in the forward line and who shall we bring in, how many goals did we score the 2nd half of last season? For European football we need two good players in each position, do we have anywhere near that? Norwich is an example of assertive buying, Wolfswinkel is a coup no doubt, they have done well, I would have Hooper and the said striker in a heartbeat.

I think the OP has made a valid point, which wont get a sensible debate as the OP is not recognised as a "serious poster"

Norwich have not been vocal about their ambitions, they have not talked about targets or finishing positions. They have simply identified the weak spots in the team and filled them with decent, young and international players.

Kudos to them...........................

Norwich were one of my picks to go down last season as their squad looked poor last season but Hughton done a good job, although at one point they were dropping like a stone. This season it still does look poor even with the two additions up front. They will struggle with their current squad I feel and I wonder if the gaffer can keep them up again.

I think the OP has made a valid point, which wont get a sensible debate as the OP is not recognised as a "serious poster"

Norwich have not been vocal about their ambitions, they have not talked about targets or finishing positions. They have simply identified the weak spots in the team and filled them with decent, young and international players.

Kudos to them...........................

Bazza: where are our signings? Cortese better be prepared to spend on a striker or we shall suffer.

Van Wolfswinkel, Hooper and now Quagliarella, good good signings, are they going for a top 4 spot instead of us?

Where in the OP is the valid point you speak of? Apart from anything else, they haven't even signed Quagliarella yet. He asks where our signings are with plenty of the window remaining. He infers that Cortese might not prepared to spend on a striker, which is plainly nonsense in view of those we are connected with, and he somehow feels that the signing of those two players signals their intent to finish the season higher than us.

The OP gives a very good indication as to why he isn't considered to be a serious poster.

Where in the OP is the valid point you speak of? Apart from anything else, they haven't even signed Quagliarella yet. He asks where our signings are with plenty of the window remaining. He infers that Cortese might not prepared to spend on a striker, which is plainly nonsense in view of those we are connected with, and he somehow feels that the signing of those two players signals their intent to finish the season higher than us.

The OP gives a very good indication as to why he isn't considered to be a serious poster.

So you dont consider Hooper and Wolfswinkel good signings as a team looking to progress?

Why do you love Hooper so much? I think he's a decent player but he's not great from what I have seen, and has only proven himself in the SPL which is a joke league. He might hit the ground running and I think he'll do alright but not sure where the in-fascination comes from tbh.

Norwich were one of my picks to go down last season as their squad looked poor last season but Hughton done a good job, although at one point they were dropping like a stone. This season it still does look poor even with the two additions up front. They will struggle with their current squad I feel and I wonder if the gaffer can keep them up again.

They're been linked to a defender (a Dutchman iirc) so they may not have stopped their shopping yet. I think they'll do better than last year, however, how much depends on whether Van Winkle or Hooper hit form through the season.

Of all the teams in the PL last season you have to worry about Newcastle and West Brom (only Anelka has signed?) to keep up to last year's position.

Personally think JRod offers more than Hooper.

I agree.

On topic, on paper it looks like Norwich have bought well in areas that needed strengthening. But, on paper Mayuka and Forren looked like inspired signings.

The bottom line is that a discussion about players who in all honesty none of us know feck all about is a waste of time.

We need a young goal scorer, sure it may not work out but we have taken lots of punts before on Celtic players, Wanyama would know him as well. Wolfswinkel for the price is a snip, thats my point, they appear to have bought well and wisely, Mayuka was a complete gamble and so its has been proved, Forren as well, my money is the Norwich signings being a tad more successful.

Kris Boyd - 101 goals in 143 games

Kenny Miller - 49 goals in 81 games

Gary Hooper - 63 goals in 95 games

Just a reminder for everyone creaming themselves about Hooper. There's a reason why we wanted him in the Championship but are no longer interested. How did Boyd and Miller fare in England? The SPL is a joke.

Kris Boyd - 101 goals in 143 games

Kenny Miller - 49 goals in 81 games

Gary Hooper - 63 goals in 95 games

Just a reminder for everyone creaming themselves about Hooper. There's a reason why we wanted him in the Championship but are no longer interested. How did Boyd and Miller fare in England? The SPL is a joke.

So why did we sign Wanyama, Jelavic has done ok for Everton, lazy mate.

You're talking about goal-getters, that's how you keep describing Hooper - the man who will be our very own poacher in the box. I'm not saying there are not good players in the SPL - of course there are. Gatusso, Arteta etc were destined for greater things. Wanyama clearly has other qualities too. But those two players I mentioned above are like for like comparisons. All they do is score, and Hooper is the same. Putting away chances in the SPL is a far cry from doing it down here, though. Also, after a decent start, I don't think anyone thinks too much of Jelavic. Rangers used to have an Italian striker a few years back called Negri (I think?) and he had scored 40 odd league goals by January or something crazy. Whatever happened to him? The SPL really is that bad. Hopeless.

Van Wolfswinkel is an amazing signing, could be the buy of the season, Hooper not too shabby and Quagliarella an unknown, certainly better than our premium signings. Wanyama is good mind but not a superstar signing, for us to get into Europe we need another quality striker bare minimum, Norwich have got one at least assured.

If you haven't got an idea how good this chap is, how can you say he is better than our signing. You are not making sense.

Rangers used to have an Italian striker a few years back called Negri (I think?) and he had scored 40 odd league goals by January or something crazy. Whatever happened to him? The SPL really is that bad. Hopeless.

Wiki says Squash related eye injury and then flesh eating virus...

The point I am trying to make is Norwich have seen a weakness on their squad and have bought good players in to fill it, we have a gap in the forward line and who shall we bring in, how many goals did we score the 2nd half of last season? For European football we need two good players in each position, do we have anywhere near that? Norwich is an example of assertive buying, Wolfswinkel is a coup no doubt, they have done well, I would have Hooper and the said striker in a heartbeat.

As I said, they've yet to sign Quagliarella, which puts them in a similar boat to us. They have decided they need another striker and have identified one they'd like to sign. From the reports it would appear we've done the same. Many of Norwich's purchases look good on paper, as do ours. The only way to know who's signings have been best will be to wait until the window's over and they've all had a decent run in the side.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a debate, but some posters seem more interested in getting a reaction by going over the top and forming definite conclusions before it's too early to do so.

My mate is an ST holder at Everton and reckons Jelavic is one of the worst strikers they've had in recent years. Yes, he's scored a few but massively went off the boil last season and by the end was missing complete sitters.

He reckons he was grossly overpriced at 7 million.

He's not great and it serves as a reminder that supposed goal machines in the SPL command hugely over inflated fees but when it all comes down to it they are actually pretty darn average.

Not so lazy.

So you dont consider Hooper and Wolfswinkel good signings as a team looking to progress?

Of course, they will only be good signings if they produce the goods. But when you stated that they were good, good signings and you asked whether they were going for a top 4 spot instead of us, you had included Quagliarella, who isn't their player yet. Presumably without him, their chances of a high placing in the table are diminished without him.

Is Wanyama a striker? I thought he was a midfielder. And somehow I had got the impression that Jelavic was a disappointment for Everton. 7 Goals in 37 starts last season was hardly setting the world on fire, was it? Or would you be lauding Hooper's and Wolf's Winky's success too if they achieved that level of performance for Norwich?

My mate is an ST holder at Everton and reckons Jelavic is one of the worst strikers they've had in recent years. Yes, he's scored a few but massively went off the boil last season and by the end was missing complete sitters.

He reckons he was grossly overpriced at 7 million.

He's not great and it serves as a reminder that supposed goal machines in the SPL command hugely over inflated fees but when it all comes down to it they are actually pretty darn average.

Not so lazy.

I go to Goodison sometimes and to a point I would agree but for the price he has been a success no doubt.

Jelavic had a wretched season. There were quite a few strikers who came in during that January window and scored for fun before fizzling out - Cisse, Jelavic, Pogrebnyak - but none ended up as bad as him.

Edited by DuncanRG

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a debate, but some posters seem more interested in getting a reaction by going over the top and forming definite conclusions before it's too early to do so.

... which is a founding principle of any messageboard... :D