Standard of refs

Batman

mistakes can (and do) occur at every level of football.

BUT at the highest level......every possible technical aid should be used to ensure that games are "as fair as possible " and referees are only human.... (although some players might not agree).

Any one of the millions who watched the game on Sky could have seen that straight away..but not the ref. It makes a mockery of the whole idea of fair and just decision-making on the ref's part.

Sending off the wrong player is more than just bad luck, but the worst of all..... is that the " offence " (in this case handball to a shot that went wide anyway)....isn't a red card offence.

Made my blood boil Allardyce moaning about yesterday's ref on MOTD. I reckon he got the decisions right, and it's not easy to ref the diving cheating hammers.

Rooney's challenge on the defender before his first goal could easily have been given as a foul IMO, it was a challenge from the rear into the back. Not that I'm bothered, Fat Sam is a whining tw*t anyway. And the keeper should have saved it in any case, he looked like he'd been playing that game on the beach where you lift a mop into the air, spin round it 20 times then run back.

Rooney's challenge on the defender before his first goal could easily have been given as a foul IMO, it was a challenge from the rear into the back. Not that I'm bothered, Fat Sam is a whining tw*t anyway. And the keeper should have saved it in any case, he looked like he'd been playing that game on the beach where you lift a mop into the air, spin round it 20 times then run back.

All the comparison's with Beckham's goal vs. Wimbledon are ridiculous - keeper should've saved Rooney's, it bounced right next to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep the Lino and ref are bad . That goal against the scousers should have been disallowed .

Also the referee was miles away with the squarez penalty . How did he See that from where he was . His view would have been restricted or was he just reacting to Suarez action of slapping his wrist as that is when he blows the whistle .

Yep the Lino and ref are bad . That goal against the scousers should have been disallowed .

Also the referee was miles away with the squarez penalty . How did he See that from where he was . His view would have been restricted or was he just reacting to Suarez action of slapping his wrist as that is when he blows the whistle .

That was a clear penalty though. Would be quite easy to see Tomkins hand movement, even if he was a bit far away.

Now for anyone use always uses the excuse that using replays slow down the game, well I don't see how you can say that now.

Instantly the incident was shown on the screen in the ground. its ridiculous how he wouldn't turn around to just look. He definitely did't look at the screen on purpose.

I mean all the time wasted by the refs conferring and the players saying their piece, another official could have had a monitor and check within seconds.

Now for anyone use always uses the excuse that using replays slow down the game, well I don't see how you can say that now.

Instantly the incident was shown on the screen in the ground. its ridiculous how he wouldn't turn around to just look. He definitely did't look at the screen on purpose.

I mean all the time wasted by the refs conferring and the players saying their piece, another official could have had a monitor and check within seconds.

Absolutely right.

Yep, on this occasion it would have been quicker to review the video footage than have a chat with the linesman.

It's as if the refs are trying to force the introduction of video technology by getting every decision wrong.
They're not getting every decision wrong though, the vast majority they get right. Tv coverage repeating every incident a hundred times, analysing from every angle, forums and social media reiterating the same over and over blows up the 'problem'.

They're not getting every decision wrong though, the vast majority they get right. Tv coverage repeating every incident a hundred times, analysing from every angle, forums and social media reiterating the same over and over blows up the 'problem'.

Yes of course you are right but given all this scrutiny surely we now need to use video technology to help the refs if nothing else?

Mostly true, but what about when the bad decision is clearly obvious to all the fans, players and officials when displayed on a sodding great screen in the stadium directly after the incident?

I think people can understand referees better if they came out and explained how they looked at situations that leads to debating.

Not like they have to be put in front of cameras straight after the game but at least give fans an explanation of what they saw. If its to the papers or if they can have their own website for this doesn´t matter really...

Yes it will probably give some refs the opportunity to find some poor excuse at times but better than the total silence that is now....

I think people can understand referees better if they came out and explained how they looked at situations that leads to debating.

Not like they have to be put in front of cameras straight after the game but at least give fans an explanation of what they saw. If its to the papers or if they can have their own website for this doesn´t matter really...

Yes it will probably give some refs the opportunity to find some poor excuse at times but better than the total silence that is now....

Yes, I agree.

Well, take the offside on Saturday. They all know by now that they got it horribly wrong. What good is it putting them in front of cameras? All it will do is humiliate them, undermine their authority and shatter their confidence. I'm sure it's hard enough knowing you've got something wrong without having to justify your actions to a baying media.

Well, take the offside on Saturday. They all know by now that they got it horribly wrong. What good is it putting them in front of cameras? All it will do is humiliate them, undermine their authority and shatter their confidence. I'm sure it's hard enough knowing you've got something wrong without having to justify your actions to a baying media.

As I said. It doesn´t have to be in front of cameras.

Have a website and put up an explanation there to why it happened and what they will do to avoid it happening again.

Mostly true, but what about when the bad decision is clearly obvious to all the fans, players and officials when displayed on a sodding great screen in the stadium directly after the incident?
That was obviously a poor decision and shouldn't have been shown on the big screen, occasions like that won't do officials any favours.

That was obviously a poor decision and shouldn't have been shown on the big screen, occasions like that won't do officials any favours.

Don't show any of the goals in case they contain reffing errors? Or do you mean they should censor all reffing errors that lead to a goal? I see massive problems with either idea. Maybe you mean they should simply not have the video screens at all.

Don't show any of the goals in case they contain reffing errors? Or do you mean they should censor all reffing errors that lead to a goal? I see massive problems with either idea. Maybe you mean they should simply not have the video screens at all.

There's a directive from the Premier league that all clubs should not show any replays that are in any way contentious. It's a directive that has been in place for years.

They shouldn't show footage of an incident while the referee and linesman were trying to resolve it.

But yes, taking it one step further, I reckon they probably shouldn't show anything on them.

They shouldn't show footage of an incident while the referee and linesman were trying to resolve it.

Plenty of decisions take several replays and deliberations from those in the studio and/or commentating before being able to make a decision, that would also be the case if used by officials. There will be plenty that aren't instantaneous.

There is a solution out there, the authorities just don't want to address it properly.