Standard of refs

Batman

got the red spot on

Yeah he did. Wenger wasn't happy but a flying two-footed tackle right in front of the ref is always going to earn a red card and he can have no real complaints.

Aside from that, I thought the ref was shocking tonight. Missed so much and gave so many 50-50s to Arsenal. The handball in the box looked deliberate to me (in as much as he had so much time to move his arm out of the way but didn't) and there was a blatant foul on Guly towards the end that he just waved away.

Really poor again.

Time to bring this one back... Lee Mason was poor this evening. 99 minutes played in total, yet there was hardly a break in play in the first half.

Well there clearly was because Chesney got taken out by Gallagher and was down for at least 2 minutes. Lallana was down for treatment too.

Time to bring this one back... Lee Mason was poor this evening. 99 minutes played in total, yet there was hardly a break in play in the first half.

The ref had a very good game.. let the game flow and was neutral throughout.. take your red/white tinted glasses off

• 2 weeks later...
A word for Craig Pawson yesterday. Didn't do that much wrong and didn't flash cards around like a lot of refs do to try and stamp their authority on the game. More of the same please!

Didnt have too many big decisions to make. Still can't believe how nobody got booked for the cynical bodycheck on lallana/Jrod in the 2nd half for which he gave the advantage. That was dubious but either way should have gone back and booked their player.

I saw it. Definite penalty. It happened right in front of him. No idea why he didn't give it.

Exactly - clear penalty which happened 6 yards from him. Our 'best referee' doesn't give it yet we've got to put it down to 'human error', more like human incompetence. Standard of reffing this year has been as bad as I can remember.

Just speaking generally, I am getting very ****ed off with the refs who give free kicks to the players who 'go to ground' or feign injury after a 50/50. It just encourages the cheating bastards and the refs need to be stronger. Some are, but they shouldn't be the exception. Sunday was a case in point - Barini played the ref like a fiddle.

Just speaking generally, I am getting very ****ed off with the refs who give free kicks to the players who 'go to ground' or feign injury after a 50/50. It just encourages the cheating bastards and the refs need to be stronger. Some are, but they shouldn't be the exception. Sunday was a case in point - Borini played the ref like a fiddle.

Just speaking generally, I am getting very ****ed off with the refs who give free kicks to the players who 'go to ground' or feign injury after a 50/50. It just encourages the cheating bastards and the refs need to be stronger. Some are, but they shouldn't be the exception. Sunday was a case in point - Barini played the ref like a fiddle.

agree entirely, but recently have seen several incidents where the ref. allows the advantage and play to continue, and only pulls back the game if it doesn't work..

There have been some atrocious decisions by various referees this season.

But have they really become worse?

They are not helped by players rolling around as though they have been winged by a sniper.

Wider tv coverage and slower motion replays expose any error. But haven't refs always been fallible?

I have seen some shocking 'performances' over the years, across all levels of football, so the "balls ups" this season come as no surprise.

I'm of the opinion that refs have a tough job involving huge pressure. There is little to no chance of them being right all the time and they will be castigated for every mistake.

If they are 'invisible' they are thought to have had a good game. How many people would be drawn to a job that offers that as a measure of success? "Didn't even notice ya mate. Well done." It's bound to attract the right sort, yes?

They'll never be perfect. Just as quality strikers can miss from two yards and international goalkeepers can see a shot dribble through their legs. As fans, players or whatever, all you can do is sick it up and hope it evens out over the season.

That said, Clattenburg is a right c**t.

• 1 month later...
Andre Mariner just handed in his resignation from the band of Elite Referees, if you look ay D'Urso not being able to count in our game v Blackburn all those years ago.

He presumably relied upon advice from his assistants. Not a red card anyway, the ball was going well wide of goal, just a yellow. Michael Owen knows nothing about the laws.

What a joke, what is the point of the fourth official, appalling mistake with undertones of racism. sad day for the Premier league, so embarrassing.

I don't think so. If two players are 5ft 5, white with black hair you could just as easily mix them up from a distance.

Mistaking two people who have a similar skin colour, hair cut and height isn't racist. Singling them out from others because of their skin colour would be.

It's not racism. They look very, very similar. A lot of players came together in the penalty following the play, and Mariner was still trying to figure out whether it was handling in the first place. Easy to lose track of the player. Embarrassing as hell though, and compounded by the fact that it shouldn't have been red in the first place, as it didn't deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity - the ball was going wide.

It's not racism. They look very, very similar. A lot of players came together in the penalty following the play, and Mariner was still trying to figure out whether it was handling in the first place. Easy to lose track of the player. Embarrassing as hell though, and compounded by the fact that it shouldn't have been red in the first place, as it didn't deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity - the ball was going wide.

And the sun was in the ref's eyes. No excuse for the assistant though.

FHS just look at the cynicism on twitter if you don't think thats racism, sorry. And he had a very clear view, plus Alex confessed. terrible.

You can't just change decisions because players "confess" , otherwise every time we get a red card all the players will be surrounding the ref shouting " it was Jos".

FHS just look at the cynicism on twitter if you don't think thats racism, sorry. And he had a very clear view, plus Alex confessed. terrible.

Is it racism when two white fellas get mistaken and the wrong one gets sent off? Because, you know, that's happened quite a few times before.

Or is this case different, and Andre Marriner is a massive racist?

Is it racism when two white fellas get mistaken and the wrong one gets sent off? Because, you know, that's happened quite a few times before.

Or is this case different, and Andre Marriner is a massive racist?

Why does anybody have to bring up race whenever a black person is involved?