Standard of refs

Batman

He had been doing pretty well until the Fonte handball/Davis deflected shot. After that it was downhill and brutal.

6 subs; a protracted and disputed sending off; two lengthy stoppages for injuries, including a head injury; continual time-wasting and a pitch invader -and the officials give 5mins added time :lol:

Not just from tonight, but a general moan about refereeing - no matter what happens in the fame, the added time is pretty much just 4 or 5mins. I can't ever remember watching a game that is just 2mins, or 8mins or any proper variance.

And always 1 minute before half time regardless of what happens during the first half

Not just from tonight, but a general moan about refereeing - no matter what happens in the fame, the added time is pretty much just 4 or 5mins. I can't ever remember watching a game that is just 2mins, or 8mins or any proper variance.

Time was properly added on for Targett's injury.

He had been doing pretty well until the Fonte handball/Davis deflected shot. After that it was downhill and brutal.

6 subs; a protracted and disputed sending off; two lengthy stoppages for injuries, including a head injury; continual time-wasting and a pitch invader -and the officials give 5mins added time :lol:

Exactly.

Forgot about the pitch invader actually, what the f**k was that about!?

Exactly.

Forgot about the pitch invader actually, what the f**k was that about!?

I can only assume it was a West Ham fan in the home end. No Saints fan would interrupt the game while we were pushing for a goal, and look so smug about it whilst taking abuse from the Northam, and knowing the whole while that they'd never be let in the ground again.

Sorry to keep bringing things back to the ref but I cannot believe it took him so long to notice. There's him, 2 linos and a fourth official all connected via headsets and it took him almost a full minute, including him turning his head round past looking right at him to run in the opposite direction.

I have never seen a goal keeper stand there in open play, for so long, and the ref do nothing. I counted 33 seconds for one kick and that wasn't the worst. And I mean out of his hands not goal kick. At one point I thought their keeper was going to be allowed to stand there until the end of the game without having to kick it. The referee indicated that he would add on time at the end, which for a drop kick is not correct. Either way 5 minutes! 3 mins for six subs, then there was the sending off. Then the Carroll injury, the yoshida kick in the head jack or chan style, several other times the trainer was on , for both teams and then the goal kick time wasting and the drop kick time wasting, I was expecting double figures on the injury time. Now all that on top of a clearly chat with ferguson refereeing display and I was lucky enough to see with my own eyes the corrupt was which takes place in a multi billion pound business when those that get paid the least make the biggest decisions. Last night football was corrupt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That ref was a bit special. I really hope him and his team sit down and watch a re-run of that. It is NEVER a handball when the ball hits you on the arm. That nonsense has all stopped. I thought he got that with their two handballs, but no, he penalises Fonte and books him for good measure. Clown. Anyone remember Nani's red card in the European Cup? Coles assault was far worse - straight red, no question - but this idiot nearly let him off without a booking. The stoppage time was a joke. Refs hardly ever blow up until an attack has stopped - its just what happens - but this numpty blows up bang on 5 minutes, despite West Ham being warned extra time was going to be added to stoppage time!! So, just incompetent or bent? Either way a disgraceful performance.

As an ex-referee I'm not normally one to criticise, but the guy last night was the worst I've seen in a long time. I can actually excuse the corner From Steven Davis' shot because he and the lino were both looking side on whereas we were behind the goal, and I think he was trying to avoid stopping play for the ***t running on the pitch. However, the yellow card for Fonte was a joke, even more so when he didn't even give a free kick in the second half when their defender raised his arms to block a shot (and then went down holding his arm to confirm it was handball), and only adding five minutes is just ripping off supporters who paid to see 90 minutes of football. Jenkinson was taking an age over throw ins even before Adrian was sent off. I know it takes bottle to play 8 or 9 minutes of stoppage time, but these guys are supposed to be the best in the country so they should be brave enough to do the right thing.

Coles assault was far worse - straight red, no question - but this idiot nearly let him off without a booking.

I thought that, he was totally going to keep his cards in his pocket till the crowd started howling, I'm sure of it. Mark of a shit ref, right there :thumbup:

I thought that, he was totally going to keep his cards in his pocket till the crowd started howling, I'm sure of it. Mark of a shit ref, right there :thumbup:

Even Graham Poll (everyone's favourite :wave:) had a pop at him on Talksh ite this afternoon. said it was a definite red and that Pawson is a very weak ref.

• 3 weeks later...

Totally agree, he's had a great game and finally, it's nice to see a ref with some balls making the right calls at Old Trafford. I bet Fergie is up in the stands muttering that it wouldn't have happened under his watch ;) Van Gaal just looks gormless, I can see Fergie's face now looking thunderous.

You've got to have balls to be a referee. You can't be Mr. Nice Guy.

Yeah fair point. I certainly wouldn't fancy it.

Even the noise the refs down the local Goals I used to play at would be enough to put me off (I'm far from an angel in that regard, though did endeavour to improve that).

Still, he did seem to enjoy being at the heart of things tonight. Fair play though, he got every decision right for me though, which as you say does deserve credit. We haven't seen enough of that of late.

I guess you have to appear like Oliver did last night. He got nearly everything right. Which is rare at old Trafford when it is against United

He had their players surrounding him all the time and he never bottled it. Weaker refs (and there are so many) would have let United off last night with something big

In the light of recent appalling refereeing performances by various clowns that was a very good game.

We have seen too many occasions when United have been allowed to get away with loads at Old Trafford, fair play to Oliver, brave and correct - no doubt his decisions were made easier by having Rooney as an assistant in his face all night.

Next step - give penalties against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, to be introduced asap.

When a succession of professional referees (who are just normal people trying to d a job as well as they can) continue to make the same errors over and over again, when there is such a clear pattern of them struggling to get things right, surely the only logical explanation is that it's really bloody difficult? I don't accept that they're all biased or stupid, they are highly trained professionals who are clearly being put into a very tough job and expected to get everything right.

The pattern is such that you have to conclude it's just not possible for them to judge everything correctly, especially in the face of such constant attempts to deceive them by the players.

When a succession of professional referees (who are just normal people trying to d a job as well as they can) continue to make the same errors over and over again, when there is such a clear pattern of them struggling to get things right, surely the only logical explanation is that it's really bloody difficult? I don't accept that they're all biased or stupid, they are highly trained professionals who are clearly being put into a very tough job and expected to get everything right.

The pattern is such that you have to conclude it's just not possible for them to judge everything correctly, especially in the face of such constant attempts to deceive them by the players.

Or possibly they aren't actually errors but are only considered such by those who don't understand the Laws? I've heard enough rubbish spouted by alleged pundits on TV to convince me that they don't know the Laws and have never actually tried to referee a game themselves. I don't think TV helps, there's too much over-analysis.

Craig Pawson held up the electronic board, last night, in a most proficient manner. I would suggest he sticks to doing that every week.

the mystery man called refs assessors will have marked him up for that, definite premier league game this weekend

I think we have to ask ourselves......WHY?....when other leading sports use "modern technology" at the highest level to assist referees in making decisions, Sepp Blatter & Co. make demi-gods of referees (who are only human) and defend them to the uttermost, when it's clear they can't be correct every time, and many are clearly not upto the required standard for Prem./ International football. TV replays can be seen within seconds of the incident.

Frank Lampard's " non-goal" in the WC v.Germany made Blatter and his entire arguement look very pathetic. Although the so-called "goaline technology " has ruled out that future possibility, we have to admit the greatest problem still exists in penalty-type situations, and "diving " to "win" penalties and gets players wrongly sent off.

I watch several games a week online, and can't recall the goaline cameras being called into use more than a couple of times during the whole season, whereas "dubious " decisions that eventually affect the final result seem to occur in almost every game.

Despite all other arguements, I still maintain that if we can watch a game (on TV) thousands of miles away and see "what really happens" via TV replays, why can't the fourth official do the same at the ground? Sometimes what we watch is like a Hollywood script gone wrong, and some players deserve Oscars for "diving".

Whilst referees struggle with many dubious situations, they will continue to come under (unfair) criticism and without defence, when they clearly get it wrong.

Edited by david in sweden

Constantly stopping games would lead them to become like NFL where a 1 hour game lasts somewhere around 3 hours or Rugby where an 80 minute game lasts nigh on 2 and a half hours. Whatismore I've noticed that in Rugby at least players are becoming more and more proficient in masking actions, falling down at the same time as a try scorer in a bit of a ruckuss sometimes stops the video ref seeing what happens really.

Basically to use technology to decide if the ref is wrong or the player has cheated. It will be interesting on Sunday to see whether Chelsea carry on from Wednesday with their tactics or will be more subtle because of media scrutiny.

I am very happy with the current standard of refereeing and the small number of truly controversial incidents is far out weighed by the millions of good decisions made routinely at every game by the officials when most people in the crowd have no idea what is going on. Considering the vile abuse directed at referees by home crowds in pretty much every game one can only marvel that there are enough stout hearted individuals who will take the job on in the first place e and for what, a pittance in footballing terms compared to what all the diving and moaning so-called stars get paid for being offensive. High time people laid off referees and pointed the finger at the real architects of their misery, under performing coaches and players.

I am very happy with the current standard of refereeing and the small number of truly controversial incidents is far out weighed by the millions of good decisions made routinely at every game by the officials when most people in the crowd have no idea what is going on. Considering the vile abuse directed at referees by home crowds in pretty much every game one can only marvel that there are enough stout hearted individuals who will take the job on in the first place e and for what, a pittance in footballing terms compared to what all the diving and moaning so-called stars get paid for being offensive. High time people laid off referees and pointed the finger at the real architects of their misery, under performing coaches and players.

Well said.

it is though, is it