Standard of refs

Batman

Robbie Savage & Michael Owen are significantly worse

Very true

I cant stand Owen but Savage :facepalm: he is terrible. Last night he talked about gerrards passing range and showed 3 passes, 2 of which went out of play. He then went on to analyse how Gerrard could play in the back 3 and used times when Sakho etc was under no pressure as evidence.

Very true

I cant stand Owen but Savage :facepalm: he is terrible. Last night he talked about gerrards passing range and showed 3 passes, 2 of which went out of play. He then went on to analyse how Gerrard could play in the back 3 and used times when Sakho etc was under no pressure as evidence.

Of course, Savage's larger point was that Gerrard is shot as a DM/CM and no longer has the needed energy (which many, including the England manager, until recently, felt he did). Owen is far worse in my opinion: timid, unimaginative and a total sycophant.

Standard this season is horrific. Not just the wrong penalty decisions we're seeing every week, but the small/simple decisions too.

The ones that wind me up are the fouls they give just in case it ends in a goal. They know it's not a foul but don't want to be caught out if it ends in a goal. The fear is ruling their head.

And I don't care what anyone says, if you want to beat a so called big club, you have to beat the ref too. They seem so eager to give them decisions. Big and small.

Strange observation from yesterday, Arsenal were getting the rub of the green off the ref for innocuous stuff but as soon as we went a goal up it looked like he was being a bit more generous towards us.

I wouldn't say we are a dirty team by any stretch of the imagination but looking at the stats V Chelsea then Arsenal on the screens on the concourse after the game I was amazed to see in both games we committed about twice as many fouls than our illustrious opponents.

Strange observation from yesterday, Arsenal were getting the rub of the green off the ref for innocuous stuff but as soon as we went a goal up it looked like he was being a bit more generous towards us.

I wouldn't say we are a dirty team by any stretch of the imagination but looking at the stats V Chelsea then Arsenal on the screens on the concourse after the game I was amazed to see in both games we committed about twice as many fouls than our illustrious opponents.

what I am failing to get is the sheer number fouls pelle seems to give away, whilst the player he fouls is all over the back of him...

granted he will back in at times but he gets nothing compared to the defenders all over him

what I am failing to get is the sheer number fouls pelle seems to give away, whilst the player he fouls is all over the back of him...

granted he will back in at times but he gets nothing compared to the defenders all over him

That's one of my big annoyances about refereeing, same with Lambert. And just generally how many fouls the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea win just by going to ground if nudged.

I've no great complaint about the standard of refereeing, but I just think some of the current interpretations of the rules are hard for them to follow consistently; is it a foul if a defender just taps an attackers ankles lightly when challenging for the ball? What is a dive?

The increased media coverage and analysis definitely don't help, same goes for the input from some of the more famous managers over recent years.

We didn't commit these fouls, the opposition cheated them out of the referee. Keep up John Boy, you'd never make a top Premier League manger ;)

Edited by Whitey Grandad

I haven't read this thread because I'm a lazy d1ck.

Reffing is a difficult thing to do, and paying more won't make it easier. There are two choices. Keep the status quo and accept errors, or go the tech route and slow down the game. Either way, us supporters will complain.

I haven't read this thread because I'm a lazy d1ck.

Reffing is a difficult thing to do, and paying more won't make it easier. There are two choices. Keep the status quo and accept errors, or go the tech route and slow down the game. Either way, us supporters will complain.

why do you need technology to get some of these decisions right?

but seeing that rob green handled the ball outside of the box requires no replay's...the whole ground could see it

But the ref may not have. I'm not supporting tech or refs. However, as fans, we have to accept this crap or call for the tech. We can't simply demand that humans be better at stopping human error or making decisions based on the human condition of partiality.

But the ref may not have. I'm not supporting tech or refs. However, as fans, we have to accept this crap or call for the tech. We can't simply demand that humans be better at stopping human error or making decisions based on the human condition of partiality.

im sorry, no you dont. these are not iffy decisions to make. these are real howlers that should not be happening

like the penalty tha Long should have got v Everton. how on earth can the ref/lino not give it...to give the corner was also wrong but that was more iffy

im sorry, no you dont. these are not iffy decisions to make. these are real howlers that should not be happening

like the penalty tha Long should have got v Everton. how on earth can the ref/lino not give it...to give the corner was also wrong but that was more iffy

It is frustrating, but what is the solution?

It is frustrating, but what is the solution?

Officials simply need to improve. While it is true that decisions are scrutinised at such intense levels these days, that's no excuse for what is pure incompetence.

The Rob Green handball yesterday was incredible. While the referee might not have the best view in terms of knowing Green's position, his assistant was barely 20 yards away with a perfect unobstructed view of the incident, and should have flagged for the handball - the referee would then have made the pretty easy decision to send Green off.

One thing that must be a bit frustrating if you're an assistant referee at the top level is that you're pretty much stuck with being an assistant for the rest of your career, despite having got to that position in the first place because of their performances as a referee at lower levels (I believe it's generally the case that you can run the line at a level one level higher than you referee). That to me seems like a bit of a waste, when let's face it, they couldn't possibly do a worse job than the current lot.

Having professional full-time officials was supposed to allow them more training time which would ensure that performances improved. If anything, it has bred a culture of complacency and arrogance among the elite list of officials, knowing that they're largely undroppable. The worst that happens is they get assigned to a Championship game for a week. Hardly a massive loss for them, really.

Why would anyone want to be a ref? Years of flogging yourself around park fields and the depths of non league while getting abused by meatheads is hardly a career path many want to follow on the off chance they might make the elite group where they can get paid a reasonable salary while having the media spotlight shining firmly on their every move while thousands of people call them a **** every week.

Ex-players being fast tracked into the job is one possibility. Ref's would also be helped by more retrospective action. The amount of diving would surely go down if there was a chance of a 3 match ban and should mean less cheating to deal with on the pitch.

Why would anyone want to be a ref? Years of flogging yourself around park fields and the depths of non league while getting abused by meatheads is hardly a career path many want to follow on the off chance they might make the elite group where they can get paid a reasonable salary while having the media spotlight shining firmly on their every move while thousands of people call them a **** every week.

Ex-players being fast tracked into the job is one possibility. Ref's would also be helped by more retrospective action. The amount of diving would surely go down if there was a chance of a 3 match ban and should mean less cheating to deal with on the pitch.

I used to play locally on Sunday mornings and when I became way too old I decided to become a referee and give something back to the game. It can be very rewarding and you get the best view of the game from the middle of the park. Most players were no trouble at all but you did get the odd big mouths. The worst game I had was one at Hamble which involved a few ex-professionals. Some of them thought it clever to try every sneaky little trick that they had learned through their career. It is supposed to be a 'sport', not win at all costs.

Agree with the retrospective action part, and on the flipside of that players should be able to have incorrect yellow cards rescinded as well. Fast-tracking ex-players can only work if they achieve suitable qualifications and assessment ratings - similar to coaching and management, there have been too many ex-players given jobs way above their qualifications simply because of who they are, which prevents most people from grassroots football progressing to the top levels of the game. If an ex-pro wants to become a referee, that's great, but they shouldn't be able to do the same course that I did 17 years ago and then get on the Elite List.

Also, I can't actually imagine many ex-pros being willing to do the job for the amount the top referees get paid. I think the likes of Howard Webb would have "only" earned just into six figures in years when he had lots of European and international commitments as well as domestic appointments. Can you imagine a current Premier League player - average annual salary approx £1.5m - being prepared to put up with all the **** that goes with the job for such a relative pittance when they could just sit in a studio at Sky, spout their inane platitudes and get paid much more?

I used to play locally on Sunday mornings and when I became way too old I decided to become a referee and give something back to the game. It can be very rewarding and you get the best view of the game from the middle of the park. Most players were no trouble at all but you did get the odd big mouths. The worst game I had was one at Hamble which involved a few ex-professionals. Some of them thought it clever to try every sneaky little trick that they had learned through their career. It is supposed to be a 'sport', not win at all costs.

Fair play to you.

I sometimes watch blokes playing up the Rec in Hamble when I'm at the park with my kids. I hear a lot of abuse shouted at the officials, a lot of which is in language that small children don't need to be hearing while playing their own game 100 yards away.

We need more rugby like rules around respect. Anyone other than the player involved or the captain that argues with the ref is booked. Anyone swearing at the ref is sent off automatically. People will soon stop doing it.

Agree with the retrospective action part, and on the flipside of that players should be able to have incorrect yellow cards rescinded as well. Fast-tracking ex-players can only work if they achieve suitable qualifications and assessment ratings - similar to coaching and management, there have been too many ex-players given jobs way above their qualifications simply because of who they are, which prevents most people from grassroots football progressing to the top levels of the game. If an ex-pro wants to become a referee, that's great, but they shouldn't be able to do the same course that I did 17 years ago and then get on the Elite List.

Also, I can't actually imagine many ex-pros being willing to do the job for the amount the top referees get paid. I think the likes of Howard Webb would have "only" earned just into six figures in years when he had lots of European and international commitments as well as domestic appointments. Can you imagine a current Premier League player - average annual salary approx £1.5m - being prepared to put up with all the **** that goes with the job for such a relative pittance when they could just sit in a studio at Sky, spout their inane platitudes and get paid much more?

I totally agree with the incorrect yellow cards point.

Like you I can't see many ex-Premier League players bothering to become refs, but what about lower league players? For example there's plenty of league 1 & 2 players who have to retire early through injury. Then you have people that play semi-pro in non league. The FA could go to the hundreds of clubs at that level and offer to put people through the referee course while they are playing with a view to them becoming full time refs later on.

The way the FA deal with the whole situation is bizarre. It's almost like they don't care about the standards of officials.

We need more rugby like rules around respect. Anyone other than the player involved or the captain that argues with the ref is booked. Anyone swearing at the ref is sent off automatically. People will soon stop doing it.

Also, bring back the 'experimental' rule that allowed a free kick to be moved forward 10 yards if a player did a 'Rooney' and ranted at an official.

Also, bring back the 'experimental' rule that allowed a free kick to be moved forward 10 yards if a player did a 'Rooney' and ranted at an official.

Ref's should book a player when he starts yelling at him with swear words etc

So many of them just stand their and take it

Ref's should book a player when he starts yelling at him with swear words etc

So many of them just stand their and take it

This is a very common complaint among the lower levels of football. The youngsters see the Rooneys of this world mouthing off on TV and think they can do the same.

• 2 weeks later...
another game where we win and we look at the ref in some amazement at how poor he was

just terrible

What makes it worse is they seem oblivious to the fact that their ineptitude so transparent to those looking on. There is no doubt that we are not a dirty team, we are not where we are by being roughouses like Stoke are against a classy team. Looking at the screens on the concourse post match against both Chelsea and Arsenal we had committed twice as many fouls as the "fancied" opposition, and this is despite Ronald a few months ago saying that they have been working with the players to step in to win the ball and then block by positioning their bodies in an effort to avoid giving a foul, yet referees being conned by theatrics and there own preconceived ideas whistle for a non existent foul.

In yesterday's game I am amazed we didn't end up playing over 6 minutes of added time, but then maybe the penny dropped with "not so fat" Phil that even if we played till midnight Man U still wouldn't have had a shot on goal.

Not one to agree with Jose

But he grabs the headlines when he moans about ref's

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-accuses-referee-phil-4968705

In his case he complains of a 'conspiracy' against Chelsea.

Saying that Dowd is too fat is irrelevant. All referees have to pass a very strict fitness test.

Not one to agree with Jose

But he grabs the headlines when he moans about ref's

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-accuses-referee-phil-4968705

he's taken the mantle of persecuted Premier League manager ...from Alex Ferguson.....

Let's see how many penalties are NOT awarded against Chelsea this season, and how many red cards they " manage to avoid ".

That decision was an embarrassment. Officiating standards do seem to be at an all time low this season, can't remember them ever being so bad.

vertonghen was well inside his own half and there was no obstructions with the lino's view or anything.

Then you see the lino mouth to his mic the word 'offside'

it was an embarrassing mistake or the lino did not know the rules

either way, very very poor

this weekends howler was at White Hart Lane.

not directly the ref but the lino for giving offside for vertonghen it seems

The ref could have overruled as well, he was probably closer to it than the lino. It really was a shocking mistake, fortunately for Spuds it made no difference to the result, otherwise there would have been hell to pay.

vertonghen was well inside his own half and there was no obstructions with the lino's view or anything.

Then you see the lino mouth to his mic the word 'offside'

it was an embarrassing mistake or the lino did not know the rules

either way, very very poor

This. I suspect that the assistant's thinking was so obsessed by the position of Pantilimon and the need for two defenders that he overlooked the timing of the pass. The referee should have overruled though.

• 4 weeks later...

Fecking disgusting performance by the ref tonight

How on earth did fonte get a yellow for that? It would have made the one a newcastle a 5 game ban

He seemed to just a completely lose it for the last 6-7 mins of the first half and seemed to want to slow the tempo down

Another shyte awful ref on display

This has to be one of the worst seasons in memory for the level of competency from the officials

He was utter dog sh*t. Jon Moss levels of F*cking awful.

I liked the few mins where he booked mane, missed a blatant handball by song, booked fonte for some bizarre reason and then completely miss a very obvious corner for us

Let alone the time he took over most of the decisions.

Just appalling

He wasn't even going to book Cole for a border-line red card assault on Yoshida until people started agitating. How they didn't get any yellow cards in the first half is a mystery.

The general standard does seem to be particularly bad this season.