Standard of refs

Batman

Thought Dowd did a good job yesterday.

We keep being told that we must not let TV interfere with the game but I have noticed that when referees make a howler in giving a corner that should not have been that they receive a comment from the fourth official on there system and they then always give a free kick to the defending team so they are doing it without admitting to it.

• 1 month later...

The standard of refs gets worse and worse every season. It's a complete joke and an embarrassment to the game.

Such a shame as there is a lot of good in the game, but even the best teams are let down by a very very poor set of officials. It needs to be sorted.

The worst thing about the clear penalty not given was that he was in a good position, up with play, but you could almost see him consciously decide not to give it. No wonder AL got booked protesting. Very poor and he does this regularly in other games I've watched not involving Saints. Not a Prem ref and never has been.

Scared to "deny" Everton three points after the derby controversy?

Precisely this. Following the debacle of the last game he officiated at Goodison and the booing he hot before KO, he knew he would get lynched on the way out of the ground if he had given it. I posted at the very start of the match thread that I thought this would happen.

Cant work out if the guy is just incompetent, or really has a grudge against Saints. Whichever, the FA are too spineless to do anything about it.

FWIW, as I think it's not particularly relevant, he's a declared Newcastle fan who therefore is not permitted to referee Newcastle or SunderLand matches. Refs are given the option to declare allegiances when they become FL or PL refs.

Just watching the Chelsea Liverpool game, Webb is the man in the middle, Eto rakes Liverpool players shins with his studs up in the first minute nothing (I know we all hate him) then Glen Johnson dispossessed Hazard and accelerates away from him Hazard stumbles into Johnsons arm very lightly as Johnson naturally pumps his arm to run away, hazard goes down like the sniper has taken him out, Webb books Johnson for absolutely chuff all.

its the persistent inconsistency that winds people up.

Liverpool get conned by Webb - he is also one of the worst.

Supposedly the top ref in the country but has been a laughing stock ever since that farce of a WC final in 2010. If he is the best we have then we are in a completely embarrassing state.

As I said earlier - Webb & Clattenburg are very poor. That was a very poor performance from his first decision to let Eto off in the first minute?

Starting to think Jose is taking ferguson place as the boss refs fear the most!!

I'm not even sure its the refs fearing anyone - they are just completely ill equipped to do their job properly - yet they bumble along making completely shocking decisions every single week without fear of any repercussions as the FA wouldn't dare drop Webb from Premier League games. As I've said before, if a player or manager performed as consistently badly as some of these referees they would be sacked.

They should be made to face the cameras and explain their decisions. I think a few of them are just plain dishonest.

Exactly, if they did that then I think that fans would be a lot more understanding, not necessarily less frustrated if they disagreed with the referee's call but they would still at least have some explanation.

Even the Chelsea v Liverpool game has shown me...once again that refs are poor.....consistently poor.

Bias in some cases...?.....Sometimes.:rolleyes:

Scared of their own shadow?:uhoh:

Fit enough for purpose?........:?

Not at all...some of the slugs I have seen at St Marys.:mcinnes:

Decision making/concentration?:scared:

Not impressed at all......Very poor:(

Today the ref totally bottled it several times.

The booking for the tackle on Chambers halfway up his shin...full studs...was a sending off......nowhere near the ball...totally reckless/dangerous.

I'd like them to have to explain their decisions more. I'd like hear how Clattenberg and Webb can justify both of those decisions. Both were as clear pens as you'll see, the ref had good views and both made the wrong call. It's not an easy job but you expect them to get the big decision right, especially when they effect the result. If the decisions they make influence the result then they should have to explain why they made them.

It would make sense to force them to explain these sort of decisions. At the moment it is too easy for them to pander to the home fans, especially at the bigger clubs. If they knew they had to go on TV and explain why they made their decision they would be more inclined to give it how they see it.

I read somewhere that today was the first time in 6 years Everton had Clattenburg as referee, due to the well known merseyside debacle long ago.

Is it possible for a club to demand banning of a particular ref, and on what grounds are bannings like that possible?

Jordan Sibley@jordansibley1h

Frustrating result today. Clattenburg said in the tunnel post match he had seen the handball, but didn't believe it was deliberate #grrr

Utterly ridiculous. If a normal person did their job that badly they would be sacked. For some reason premier league officials seem to be above any kind of disciplinary action for their performances.

It would make sense to force them to explain these sort of decisions. At the moment it is too easy for them to pander to the home fans, especially at the bigger clubs. If they knew they had to go on TV and explain why they made their decision they would be more inclined to give it how they see it.

This.

The speed of the game and the fitness of the players has increased massively.

A ref in their late thirties/forties is unlikely to be able to keep up.

Not enough attention is paid to the fact that a tired ref is more likely to make mistakes.

The professionalism of the game has increased enormously, but although refs are full-time nowadays, little real improvement has been made.

Refereeing should become a career choice for keen footballers who cannot make the grade, and who have the authority and judgement to do it.

However realistically the career at the top level would only last a decade, and salaries and pensions would have to reflect this.

Cheating has come on enormously and players are much more skilled at cheating-possibly some even practice it.

Some of the criticism is based on the availability of TV replays-the ref only has one view in real time.

It is ridiculous that technology isn't used at all. It is time for the fourth official to be able to inform refs about unseen incidents, and when there is a break in the play to be able to review a decision, and say inform the ref that a foul has or has not been committed.

DRS doesn't detract from the enjoyment of cricket, neither do the video reviews in rugby union.

Considering the enormity of the financial rewards that can depend on incorrect decisions it is surprising that no action has been taken.

However any review must nit detract from the authority of the referee and they must remain the ultimate arbiters. Just a pity that they don't take this responsibility more seriously and book any player who aggressively questions a decision or a player who attempts to influence their decision.

Jordan Sibley@jordansibley1h

Frustrating result today. Clattenburg said in the tunnel post match he had seen the handball, but didn't believe it was deliberate #grrr

if the defender was "protecting his face " then why didn't he raise his left arm?....., the ball was coming from that side........

Clattenburg is a disgrace, and we're not the only fans to say that...

Why? They Fck up and then have to come out and try and justify it in public which would be impossible as footage shows they got it wrong. What would this achieve? Or do people expect them to stick to original decisions in light of contrary evidence?

As unpalatable as it is it to see such poor standard of refereeing it would achieve little. Is the lino who got the Sterling offside decision wrong meant to be interrogated and shown footage and asked 'why did you get it so wrong?' 'Errrr dunno I clearly thought he was the last man' enlightening stuff thanks. Or are we expecting ' I've always supported City and didn't want them to concede'?

Technology is the solution.

Why? They Fck up and then have to come out and try and justify it in public which would be impossible as footage shows they got it wrong. What would this achieve? Or do people expect them to stick to original decisions in light of contrary evidence?

As unpalatable as it is it to see such poor standard of refereeing it would achieve little. Is the lino who got the Sterling offside decision wrong meant to be interrogated and shown footage and asked 'why did you get it so wrong?' 'Errrr dunno I clearly thought he was the last man' enlightening stuff thanks. Or are we expecting ' I've always supported City and didn't want them to concede'?

Technology is the solution.

The referee is assessed from the stand and a report goes somewhere who knows where if anywhere when you consider how incompetent Peter Walton was for years, but before that report is submitted the assessor has access to the TV match recording and he can view that and re write his match assessment on the referee based on what he sees. But where that ends up is anyone's guess.

The main problem is that pundits and fans now have access to replays, whereas refs don't.

I play five a side at a low level and it's a pretty regular occurrence that nobody knows whether a ball was over the line despite all being 5 feet away, yet if that was a pro game a replay would be slowed down and a referee criticised for not knowing.

The main problem is that pundits and fans now have access to replays, whereas refs don't.

So give them access to TV replays through an extra official. Rugby does it very well and efficiently, cricket does it pretty well, so why not football?

Of course the parameters need to be defined, but this is now overdue.

So give them access to TV replays through an extra official. Rugby does it very well and efficiently, cricket does it pretty well, so why not football?

Of course the parameters need to be defined, but this is now overdue.

whilst it is a good idea in principle, surely the flow of the game is affected. If a team call for a penalty but as the game goes on the ball goes to the other end of the pitch and the oppo score what then??? That would cause a riot. i watch the tv pundits and they take forever to agree on a penalty decision and you cant get a consistent result with them either.

I would have loved it to be in place yesterday as we would have got a penalty but i cant see it working

Technology is never the answer. The off side rule is impossible to judge exactly in marginal cases and there would need to be a complete overhaul of this aspect of the laws. Fouls and hand balls are subjective anyway so in the limit it comes down to one man's opinion. As for TV pundits, they all need to go and learn the Laws of the Game, it seems that after playing hundreds of games of professional football most of them still haven't learnt anything. Michael Owen is perhaps the most honest of them, even if he is a poor commentator and obviously biased. He is always talking about 'playing for the foul' or 'taking one for the team'. There's too much money involved and TV takes the blame for Manley of the problems. Let's leave the game as it is, a sport with all that that implies. If were not careful we'll end up with American soccerball with timeouts, grid lines painted across the pitch, rolling substitutions, video reviews with the result determined by phone-ins and franchised clubs with silly names being sold to whichever city bids the highest.