Standard of refs

Batman

I wouldn't say it was a clear handball at all. Even watching it from different camera angles it was inconclusive. Certainly not as 'clear' as the ones at Stoke or Everton.

Or Norwich away. Or the clear foul on Lallana at home against Liverpool.

I think we've been pretty hard done by this season on the balance of decisions.

• 3 weeks later...

In this country they seem to now allow any handballs unless they actively swing their arm to knock it away, where as the rest of europe are still actually sensible and calling a handball a handball. When an English ref covers a european game, it's no surprise the teams will get f*cked off about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Dean....useless today. Another stonewall handball not given. Plus numerous crap decisions. How many is that this season? 8 -9? They say that these bad decisions even themselves out over the course of a season but I think we are seriously in debit. Is this because we are a team that doesn't hound the ref in packs when we don't get a decision go our way, a la ManUre today?

• 7 months later...

Is it me or do refs seem to be getting worse? What the pundits seem to miss is the constant fouls given in games which are unnecessary and break up the game. The little stupid decisions; offsides and throw ins/corners given the wrong way. They don't seem to pick any of this up the media. The inconsistencies in booking one player for jack all then booking another for a horror challenge.

Spurs are lucky not to have had two sent off for challenges right in front of the ref. It baffles me how they just can't see it. Even in real time it's damn obvious.

Is it me or do refs seem to be getting worse? What the pundits seem to miss is the constant fouls given in games which are unnecessary and break up the game. The little stupid decisions; offsides and throw ins/corners given the wrong way. They don't seem to pick any of this up the media. The inconsistencies in booking one player for jack all then booking another for a horror challenge.

Spurs are lucky not to have had two sent off for challenges right in front of the ref. It baffles me how they just can't see it. Even in real time it's damn obvious.

Agreed. The situation seems to be getting very lax.

Perhaps the expectation that one man can adequately ref top class football at the speed and skill levels it's played at today is outdated.

Ref's will always make mistakes, we have to accept that. Viewers of TV get close-up slow-mo pictures from several camera angles.

The ref has to make a decision in seconds when running to keep up with the game.

IMO the time is now well overdue for experimentation on video assistance, a TV referee as in rugby union , but without the delays.

Perhaps we should start to remember that the honest decision of the referee is final whether right or wrong as in cricket.

I always think the cricket umpire's retort to a disgruntled batsman who said "That wasn't out, Umpire." The retort was "Read tomorrow's paper son, and you'll see it was."

Unfortunately with the moribund and allegedly possibly corrupt leadership of the international game it is very difficult for the FA to act alone, even if that ineffectual body wanted to.

In the end money will talk as it always does, and we may see improvements.

The Man U offside goal against Liverpool yesterday was ridiculous, lino clearly just didn't see Van Persie's flick-on. Having said that, the (other?) lino was stop on for the third goal, which all of us watching initially thought looked MILES offside, and wasn't, thanks to Lolvren staying in.

But those are decisions which actually DO get scrutinised, the problem are the 10 or so little incidents which affect every match - Saints players staying on their feet when Man U/Arsenal/Man City players chuck themselves on the floor at every touch, yellow cards for nothing much, all leading to possession turnovers and incremental yellow card totting up problems for clubs with smaller squads.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but the matches against Arsenal/Man City/Man U ALL had tangible bias by the refs against Saints in cumulative minor decisions, though also we had that awful Aguero booking - non-pen, a booking for Rooney for dissent, etc to give the pretence of fairness.

I think the worst ones this season have been the pulling back of advantages to attacking teams though, we had a couple of infuriating ones against Man City where the ref clearly had no idea what he was doing.

Edited by The9

Clattenburg was his usual crap self yesterday. Can't complain about the yellow he gave to Hesketh, but the tackle on him by Keane which forced him to go off injured was just as worthy of a booking, but he didn't even give a foul.

The yellow for Hesketh was probably about right. I thought if it had been a lump like Wanyama not a waif like Hesketh, he'd have got a red for it, as the impact would have been much worse. However, on watching it back a few times, he was face down and unable to stop himself sliding into the keeper practically on all fours, having been knocked off balance after lunging for the ball long before the keeper was there.

Edited by The9
"for" Hesketh, not "on", for clarity

The yellow on Hesketh was probably about right. I thought if it had been a lump like Wanyama not a waif like Hesketh, he'd have got a red for it, as the impact would have been much worse. However, on watching it back a few times, he was face down and unable to stop himself sliding into the keeper practically on all fours, having been knocked off balance after lunging for the ball long before the keeper was there.

I still can't believe that there was no booking or even a foul for the Hesketh injury! Shocking. The treatment of Chelsea on Saturday also makes me feel there's definately a unapologetic big team bias (see us at Arsenal as well recently for further proof).

I will just add to this. Tonight's game Everton v QPR, the referee got it all wrong and was not strong enough on the lead up to QPR 1st goal. He played the advantage for Everton and when they gave the ball away, he put his arm in the direction of an Everton free kick only for the flag to go up and QPR took the free kick quickly, so the referee chanced his hand signal to a indirect free kick with his arm in the air.

This should not have happened as the free kick was Everton before the offside! QPR broke from this indirect Fred kick and score! The referee was giving the free kick but only went with the flow as QPR got on with it, so he took the easy option as no one noticed.

• 2 weeks later...
Some of the decisions today were straight up horrific, the non-penalty for Leicester against Judasettino being particularly galling...

The ref gestured that he got the ball, which he did, but more by luck than judgment, and then caught the Leicester player with his follow-through. I think it looked a lot worse than it was. Years ago it would have been seen as a good challenge.

The one Spurs got away with was dreadful. Poch is so lucky as Spurs manager.

this.

though Phil Neville, 'I think they have won 6 games 2-1 this season, that shows great resilience'. In what fuc*ing way Phil? The worst pundit/commentator ever.

That Mike Jones is a horrendous ref, how bad is he at making penalty calls!

Thing is with Jones is that today isn't isolated, it seems to be week-in week-out. Not saying that refereeing is easy, as it isn't, but you have to feel that a player who made those level of mistakes so consistently wouldn't still be in a job right now...