Boruc

OldNick

Also we gave the ball away very fast and cheaply at the kick off!

yep, we've definitely changed the way we kick off after using the same system for a good while. Before it was usually Morgan and JRod (or Lambert) and we turned the ball straight back into our own half and began our habitual build up. On Saturday it was Rickie and Adam who pushed the ball forward for JWP who just seem to punt it aimlessly forward allowing Stoke to turn it back to their keeper...the rest we know. I seem to remember that we always used to turn it back to Boruc pretty early on but we've changed that. So to me their goal was in fact partially JWP's fault because they shouldn't have recovered the ball like that before we got set.

The 'Goal' trajectory...SaintsGK.jpg

Still can't get over our strange kick off strategy. You can't see it all here but at the moment of KO we had 6 blokes on the halfway line. RL and AL kicking off, JWP to their right and JRod,MS and LS all to their left, as we kick off everybody piles forward like a scene from your average NFL snap and JWP just carelessly loses the ball, even if it doesn't go back to Begovitch but just gets punted forward from the point of recovery we're as likely as not going to be in the crapper. It's definite a big black mark for JWP and I'd suggest to them that they don't repeat the experience. I suppose JWP was supposed to send it out to his left to any one of the 3 onrushers but he just tamely toes it forward straight to a Stoke player.

Quite clearly the wind was the main factor in the goal, but is it just me then that thinks Boruc was being far too casual and as a result was totally unable to react to the wind assisted clearance? He's been great for us, no doubt about it, but there have been a number of occasions when he has started games with a very laid back attitude that has led to him making under hit passes and poor clearances. It is his style, I can see that, but it can put us in a little trouble. Perhaps it would have made no difference on Saturday if he was on his toes, facing forward rather than walking across the area and alert to the possibility of the wind taking the ball, but it certainly couldn't do any harm.

Fonte or Lovren should have got their head on it IMO

No reason to, there wasn't a Stoke player within 10 yards, why risk stopping the ball and giving away possession in a dangerous area when 999/1000 times the ball will just bounce harmlessly through to the keeper? The fact that both CBs were already peeling off out wide to receive the roll out from Boruc tells you all you need to know about what they expected to happen.

It was Boruc's fault for not considering the conditions and reacting far too late to the trajectory. I'll let him off, he's earned it.

Quite clearly the wind was the main factor in the goal, but is it just me then that thinks Boruc was being far too casual and as a result was totally unable to react to the wind assisted clearance? He's been great for us, no doubt about it, but there have been a number of occasions when he has started games with a very laid back attitude that has led to him making under hit passes and poor clearances. It is his style, I can see that, but it can put us in a little trouble. Perhaps it would have made no difference on Saturday if he was on his toes, facing forward rather than walking across the area and alert to the possibility of the wind taking the ball, but it certainly couldn't do any harm.

Fair criticism I think. It definitely would have made a difference if he'd been concentrating, he was clearly switched off even as the ball was bouncing. Add to that that his starting position was poor and didn't anticipate that it might be a bit windy despite the obvious conditions, and even being unlucky to slip as he reacted meant he couldn't get back. He could still have got something on it on the second bounce if he'd not slipped.

You could see when they plotted the bounce on MOTD where that ball was originally going to bounce again (penalty spot-ish), but the wind just caught it and put it well over Artur's head. I'm not going to judge him on it, he's still a quality keeper, and the reaction of other goalies (Begovic, Foster etc.) pretty much confirms that he's not at fault at all and it was a freak coincidence.

One Artur Boruc!

Yes, but did Artur not even attempt to score likewise in the second half, or did the wind die down? Poor response if he didn't, lol.

Seriously, every keeper is going to encounter flukes like that. Artur is truly King between the the posts.

Still can't get over our strange kick off strategy. You can't see it all here but at the moment of KO we had 6 blokes on the halfway line. RL and AL kicking off, JWP to their right and JRod,MS and LS all to their left, as we kick off everybody piles forward like a scene from your average NFL snap and JWP just carelessly loses the ball, even if it doesn't go back to Begovitch but just gets punted forward from the point of recovery we're as likely as not going to be in the crapper. It's definite a big black mark for JWP and I'd suggest to them that they don't repeat the experience. I suppose JWP was supposed to send it out to his left to any one of the 3 onrushers but he just tamely toes it forward straight to a Stoke player.

Bit of a stretch to blame Ward-Prowse when the two kicking off were either supposed to launch it down the pitch at the 3 left wingers - or alternatively were decoys so that Ward-Prowse would be able to dribble through. That clearly didn't work, either because Stoke weren't paying attention or because they knew we wouldn't hoof it into the wind, and given that the conditions were blowing the ball off players' feet all match long it's a bit much to blame someone for losing the ball in that situation - especially when he'd actually managed to get a decent enough pass off to Lallana when he got closed down.

The bit that I always find amazing is how many pro players simply don't have the flexibility to play to the conditions - we spent nigh-on half an hour trying just to pass the ball long into the wind at Lambert or giving terrible passes behind players and getting caught in possession before going back to putting it on the deck accurately - and the goal we did score (also wind assisted in that it may have gone over the bar on a normal day, and also held up nicely for Rodriguez to head) was absolutely superb considering the difficulties in just making simple 10 yard passes.

Cannot be true, they must have kicked off, which means we got choice of ends on winning the toss.

Saints kicked off.

So they decided to kick with the wind at their backs.

Yes, and you could see from Lallana's face after the coin toss that it wasn't his decision, he held his arms out in a "what do you want me to do about it?" manner to one of his teammates as we were changing ends. Didn't quite realise the significance at that point because it wasn't that obvious that it was THAT windy, though they all looked a bit chilly with the breeze pre-kick off.

Here's the moment immediately after kick off ...

KickOff.jpg

• 8 years later...

Capable of the sublime and the ridiculous. 

Main memory for me was him coming back into the team on New Years day 12/13 v Arsenal. Looked like he’d been on the piss the night before. All over the place on crosses, but seemed to give the defence a bit of a boost and made the position his own from there.

Loved him really despite being at Stoke and Arsenal for his clangers.

Had a weird relationship with our fans who for some reason got on his back at the start which resulted in him throwing a water bottle towards one of them, which was more than fair in my opinion.

1 hour ago, St Chalet said:

Best keeper we have had since Niemi, felt Forster wasn't better than him when he was brought in.

I’d probably disagree about the Forster comparison, though I was (and still am) a fan of Boruc. Forster in his early years at Saints was IMO a very solid keeper and a little bit of an upgrade on Boruc. He lost his way a bit, then showed this season glimpses of what a good keeper he can be.

But they were both two decent glovesmen for us and not much in it.

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’d probably disagree about the Forster comparison, though I was (and still am) a fan of Boruc. Forster in his early years at Saints was IMO a very solid keeper and a little bit of an upgrade on Boruc. He lost his way a bit, then showed this season glimpses of what a good keeper he can be.

But they were both two decent glovesmen for us and not much in it.

As custodians go the bar has definitely dropped significantly in recent year so much so if we are right to wonder if a 40 year old And a bloke who got relegated from the Turkish league might be a better option than our current number one. I hope Banzunu is as reliable a glovesman as his talent suggests. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Turkish said:

As custodians go the bar has definitely dropped significantly in recent year so much so if we are right to wonder if a 40 year old And a bloke who got relegated from the Turkish league might be a better option than our current number one. I hope Banzunu is as reliable a glovesman as his talent suggests. 

A whole new language is bursting forth today, no longer do we need Goalkeepers now superseded by Glovesmen.

Soon we'll have line runners, boxmen and ball retrievers.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Was there for his arsenal clanger, and then got sick for the next 2 days. He was certainly a character, probably our second best keeper on returning to the prem after the "good" forster... But the rest have been average or poor. 

On 17/06/2022 at 15:56, bangkoksaint said:

One of my iconic moments being at the Britannia and seeing ‘that goal’ against him. Good luck - a fantastic keeper

Was there, didn't see the goal. We attacked from kick off and pressed, turned to Dad at the point Begovic booted the ball to say something like 'Well, positive start,' only for the stadium to erupt and me turning around wondering, errrr, what just happened?

• Like 1