Puncheon on twitter

Hatch

Wow. Beans spilt. Never knew about this kind of practice before, if I'm honest.

Not without basis with the specific individual, or a more general trend?

Individual. Young players being told they'll only get on the pitch from the bench if the manager gets their appearance/win bonus. On a regular basis. Also youth players being "forcibly encouraged" to sign with certain "friendly" agents.

All theoretically speaking, of course.

Individual. Young players being told they'll only get on the pitch from the bench if the manager gets their appearance/win bonus. On a regular basis. Also youth players being "forcibly encouraged" to sign with certain "friendly" agents.

Well, it's certainly not the first thing I've heard about the individual today.

I know for a fact ( thanks to Leeds fans ) that his name is an anagram of Colin W4nker.

Theoretically speaking, the same thing may well have happened at Bournemouth, West Ham and Portsmouth in the past. I wouldn't like to say what might link those clubs.

Theoretically speaking, the same thing may well have happened at Bournemouth, West Ham and Portsmouth in the past. I wouldn't like to say what might link those clubs.

During the various police sting operations, court appearances etc I recall a prosecutors claiming 'arry signed something like 130 players during stint one as skate boss.

Nothing to do with a 5% commission fee of course!

From a corrupt point of view, it makes perfect sense: manager signs player, manager in cahoots with CEO (also bizzarely taking a commission fee and win bonus) arranges favourable contract for all concerned. Manager then manipulates player for further financial benefit, abusing your position as manager for complete justification of your actions, all fully backed up by the CEO!

Now, if I could choose one player who I just cant quite work out why clubs keep signing him on long contracts, it would be the old pompey legend TBH

Isnt Zahivi his agent?

PA-11232605_1489591a.jpg

Maybe Punch could shed some light on the GDP & Cortese love in? (only joking, pretty sure we're an honest club).

I expect to see about as much legal action as was threatened by Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp when Panorama accused them of dodgy dealings. I believe the BBC is still waiting for the papers to be served... must have got lost in the post.

You must be quite confident on that as you have let the allegations remain up on here!

You must be quite confident on that as you have let the allegations remain up on here!

For now, yes. The Defamation Act has had some amendments made to it recently which makes legal action harder to take. That's not to say I'm treating it lightly, by any means, but it's an interesting story and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be discussed here.

Hmm, the Telegraph said they couldn't reprint the specifics of the allegations due to legal reasons.

The Guardian has taken a similar line. Papers that get hundreds of thousands of hits per article have to continue to take a safety-first approach as any legal action would take into account how widely spread the alleged defamation was likely to have been.

i actually find it v.difficult to believe. Warnock would have to be v.dumb to do that and not expect to get whistle-blown sooner or later. I mean, maybe i could see him doing it ages ago in the lower leagues but not when punch was there in the prem. I reckon punch is just repeating tittle-tattle cos he's bitter he never got no games.

For now, yes. The Defamation Act has had some amendments made to it recently which makes legal action harder to take. That's not to say I'm treating it lightly, by any means, but it's an interesting story and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be discussed here.

The Guardian has taken a similar line. Papers that get hundreds of thousands of hits per article have to continue to take a safety-first approach as any legal action would take into account how widely spread the alleged defamation was likely to have been.

Any update on the chin a copper situation?

Bearsy told me you're working your way up. That you'll start with a WPC or hobby bobby or suchlike.

I expect to see about as much legal action as was threatened by Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp when Panorama accused them of dodgy dealings. I believe the BBC is still waiting for the papers to be served... must have got lost in the post.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25715831

Appears that Warnock will be taking legal action.

I can't see that Puncheon will have much hope of defending himself unless he has any evidence that proves what he say is correct (which would seem unlikely at best).

Where in that article does he say he'll be taking legal action?

All he's said is that "the matter is being addressed directly with him on my behalf", which basically means somebody's phoned him and asked him to backtrack. Not a cat in hell's chance any judge will be hearing anything about this.

Where in that article does he say he'll be taking legal action?

All he's said is that "the matter is being addressed directly with him on my behalf", which basically means somebody's phoned him and asked him to backtrack. Not a cat in hell's chance any judge will be hearing anything about this.

The problem for Warnock is if that there is any grain of truth in this, and he sues, he risks everything.

This is why social media should be reserved for well educated preppy types. I have stopped using Facebook since hoi-polloi got involved.

A few more intellectual beatings from self-proclaimed scumbags like me, and you'll stop posting here too.

I can't see that Puncheon will have much hope of defending himself unless he has any evidence that proves what he say is correct (which would seem unlikely at best).

It's a fallacy that publishing something truthful is a defence to defamation. Imo Punch would be in difficulty persuading a court that there's justification for publishing those comments.

It's a fallacy that publishing something truthful is a defence to defamation.

srsly? How bout if rather than deleting the twitters punch had done another twitter saying, oops soz that was typo it should read players don't have to pay warnock to get on team or bench. would punch be ok then? Or if he just said April Fools!!!

It's a fallacy that publishing something truthful is a defence to defamation. Imo Punch would be in difficulty persuading a court that there's justification for publishing those comments.

Do you have any evidence to back up this claim? I'm not a lawyer, but a quick google suggests you are wrong, e.g:

The usual defenses in a U.K. defamation case are:

Justification (truth);

(from http://kellywarnerlaw.com/uk-defamation-laws/)

This is interesting article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/jason-puncheon-blasts-neil-warnock-after-criticism-of-woeful-penalty-miss-9055670.html

Puncheon went to Loftus Road on transfer window deadline day before Southampton had given QPR permission to speak to him. Southampton immediately raised the loan fee from £150,000 to £200,000.

:lol: got to love cortese

i actually find it v.difficult to believe. Warnock would have to be v.dumb to do that and not expect to get whistle-blown sooner or later. I mean, maybe i could see him doing it ages ago in the lower leagues but not when punch was there in the prem. I reckon punch is just repeating tittle-tattle cos he's bitter he never got no games.

A real slime ball in my opinion so nothing would surprise me....

The justification defence refers to truth in defamation law. You have complete protection from libel action if you can prove the 'sting' of the libel (ie the most damaging allegation) to be true on the balance of probabilities.

Edited by DuncanRG

I know for a fact ( thanks to Leeds fans ) that his name is an anagram of Colin W4nker.

Thats an old one Pap, why did you need a Leeds fan to tell you :)

In fact, there was a thread on here ages ago about a spoof article. I think it was titled "Nigel Adkins: Nastiest manager in England", or somesuch, cant find it now, but one of the 'allegations' was that he was walking down the tunnel at Leeds with Warnock, who was visibly ill and fell to the ground. Nigel supposedly remarked "pick yourself up Colin, you're a f*cking mess." :lol:

edit, just found the link-

http://kdcallanan.tumblr.com/post/41897854243/nigel-adkins-englands-most-disrespectful-manager

Edited by scotty

Thats an old one Pap, why did you need a Leeds fan to tell you :)

In fact, there was a thread on here ages ago about a spoof article. I think it was titled "Nigel Adkins: Nastiest manager in England", or somesuch, cant find it now, but one of the 'allegations' was that he was walking down the tunnel at Leeds with Warnock, who was visibly ill and fell to the ground. Nigel supposedly remarked "pick yourself up Colin, you're a f*cking mess." :lol:

edit, just found the link-

http://kdcallanan.tumblr.com/post/41897854243/nigel-adkins-englands-most-disrespectful-manager

The unfounded NA allegations had me chuckling for days, but I didn't make the Colin link. I'm a bit slow on the uptake with some stuff, scotty. I only realised why Like a Prayer was dirty about a decade ago.

Actually it isn't a fallacy. It is one of the main defences against defamation. At least in England & Wales. You may be getting mixed up with privacy laws. But the defendant in a criminal case would have to prove the statement was true.

Allowable defenses are justification (the truth of the statement), fair comment (whether the statement was a view that a reasonable person could have held), absolute privilege (whether the statements were made in Parliament or in court, or whether they were fair reports of allegations in the public interest) and qualified privilege (where it is thought that the freedom of expression outweighs the protection of reputation, but not to the degree of granting absolute immunity). An offer of amends is a barrier to litigation. A defamatory statement is presumed to be false unless the defendant can prove its truth

FFS Pap why do you think that Colin is also known as the man with the most unfortunate anagram in football!! You obviously superior intellect must be slipping or you've been hiding under a Mersey rock for ages?

I can't believe il Duce would sack someone for just farting either, I wonder if he farted whilst il Duce was going for a reach around and it put him right off!!

Actually it isn't a fallacy. It is one of the main defences against defamation. At least in England & Wales. You may be getting mixed up with privacy laws. But the defendant in a criminal case would have to prove the statement was true.

Allowable defenses are justification (the truth of the statement), fair comment (whether the statement was a view that a reasonable person could have held), absolute privilege (whether the statements were made in Parliament or in court, or whether they were fair reports of allegations in the public interest) and qualified privilege (where it is thought that the freedom of expression outweighs the protection of reputation, but not to the degree of granting absolute immunity). An offer of amends is a barrier to litigation. A defamatory statement is presumed to be false unless the defendant can prove its truth

Would a statement in court by puncheon to the effect that he had personally been asked by Colin to do these things be enough proof?

You could have also known that as a fact by simply rearranging the letters, as half the planet did about 15 years ago - no need to ask a Leeds fan ;)

You could have also known that as a fact by simply rearranging the letters, as half the planet did about 15 years ago - no need to ask a Leeds fan ;)

You utter bastard, kpturner!

/me scribbles kpturner's name in blood underneath CB Fry's on "The List" :)