2014/15 Kit Revealed - #TheStripesAreBack

The9

I recall we had a nice navy away kit around the time Marian Pahars & Hassan Kachloul were strutting their stuff for us.

And the navy/sky in the Keegan era.

I also thought the navy/yellow umbro kit in L1 was decent.

Fairly confident we will release the kit on 1 July and be available to buy at a later date (perhaps the 19th as mentioned by Saint-Armstrong).

Veho are new sponsors from 1 July, so there is then nothing stopping SFC releasing the kit... doing it before this date, will probably see them breaking some clauses in the contract with aap3

Oh dear... Just as I feared. The new range is tacky in quality, ill fitting, own brand ********. Save your pounds and expectation.

the club should have just taken a hit on what they ordered and gone elsewhere. Sales are going to be appalling.

Players track is white and staff grey with yellow. Mono badge same colour as tops. Colour badges on kits, navy away. No news on home, but expecting red monstrosity.

disappointing, thanks Nicola you ****.

Oh dear... Just as I feared. The new range is tacky in quality, ill fitting, own brand ********. Save your pounds and expectation.

the club should have just taken a hit on what they ordered and gone elsewhere. Sales are going to be appalling.

Players track is white and staff grey with yellow. Mono badge same colour as tops. Colour badges on kits, navy away. No news on home, but expecting red monstrosity.

disappointing, thanks Nicola you ****.

Surely if its own brand it will be stripes or at least some sort of red AND white design to please majority of fans?

I still don't understand why it is so important as to who "makes" our kit. Can someone explain why a shirt made in some sweat shop out East is better than any other one either made in the same sweat shop or one next door, but has a different "makers" logo on it?

It still makes no sense that even with us unable to get a kit from adidas, we can't manage to get a decent design from anyone else in what was still a reasonable lead time, either...

We'll see re: own brand, the last lot of own brand training kit with the flybe sponsor was nice.

PS...and can anyone honestly tell me that their enjoyment of watching the team last season was in any way diminished by what shirt we were wearing? The only problem that I cam across was explaining to my father who has Alzheimer's that we were sold red and that it was Newcastle who were in (black) stripes.

I still don't understand why it is so important as to who "makes" our kit. Can someone explain why a shirt made in some sweat shop out East is better than any other one either made in the same sweat shop or one next door, but has a different "makers" logo on it?

Perception and branding. The same reason that two identical shirts made in the same factory, one with the official logo, and one without, are sold at such different prices.

Also, they don't use sweat shops - the largest companies have the most to lose from not adhering to legislation on this, and go out of their way to comply.

PS...and can anyone honestly tell me that their enjoyment of watching the team last season was in any way diminished by what shirt we were wearing? The only problem that I cam across was explaining to my father who has Alzheimer's that we were sold red and that it was Newcastle who were in (black) stripes.

Was the enjoyment of our football at all diminished by the colours? No. But instinctively, and emotionally I did feel disconnected from the team as an entity. In quieter games and lull moments it didn't feel like watching Saints, I didn't identify their colours, their identity as the club I love. Had it not been for the company I was with and the location in Southampton I wouldn't have identified them as my team.

Edited by Colinjb

Yes, every time I had to wait a second on highlights before working out if it was us or Liverpool in red it impacted on my viewing. Every time we took the field it was in the back of my mind, and every time we had a bit of success to reflect on I was thinking "I hope we can get this kind of profile in our proper kit before we become irrelevant again". On the bright side, it was so crap it was the first kit we've properly reduced in price for years.

Also, what Colinjb said.

Was the enjoyment of our football at all diminished by the colours? No. But instinctively, and emotionally I did feel disconnected from the team as an entity. In quieter games and lull moments it didn't feel like watching Saints, I didn't identify their colours, their identity as the club I love. Had it not been for the company I was with and the location in Southampton I wouldn't have identified them as my team.

Try these:

02403723.interactive.a.jpg

Supporting your team (as opposed to going to watch a football game) is all about tribalism and associating yourself with a particular identity. Keep changing the colours / badges / strip, have too few home grown players and make it obvious that whilst fans may have loyalty managers and players dont and you turn it into just another consumer product that people can take or leave.

It still makes no sense that even with us unable to get a kit from adidas, we can't manage to get a decent design from anyone else in what was still a reasonable lead time, either...

Precisely. We have had the time to obtain another supplier, but unable to secure a decent design. This barely makes sense.

Sounds a balls up, whether this is due to NC or those who followed is another matter. But you have to wonder how you fall out with adidas in such a dramatic fashion.

Precisely. We have had the time to obtain another supplier, but unable to secure a decent design. This barely makes sense.

Sounds a balls up, whether this is due to NC or those who followed is another matter. But you have to wonder how you fall out with adidas in such a dramatic fashion.

Or could there be a contractual stipulation with our new sponsor?

Is this a joke? Honestly, I can't work it out.

Someone spouting off on Twitter, I suspect there's every chance it could be b/s though.

Nick T @saint_nick1980 · 12m

No news on home, but expecting all red monstrosity. There is no brand on it,not even saints apparel which was out own brand in the Lowe days

Nick T @saint_nick1980 · 14m

Players track is white and staff grey with yellow. Mono badge same colour as tops. Colour badges on kits, navy away. #saintsfc

Nick T @saint_nick1980 · 15m

Club should have just taken a hit on what cortese ordered and gone elsewhere. Sales are going to be appalling.#saintsfc

Nick T @saint_nick1980 · 16m

new #saintsfc kit range is tacky in quality, ill fitting, no brand ********. Save your pounds and expectation.

Someone spouting off on Twitter, I suspect there's every chance it could be b/s though.

No news on home, but expecting all red monstrosity. There is no brand on it,not even saints apparel which was out own brand in the Lowe days

Players track is white and staff grey with yellow. Mono badge same colour as tops. Colour badges on kits, navy away. #saintsfc

Club should have just taken a hit on what cortese ordered and gone elsewhere. Sales are going to be appalling.#saintsfc

new #saintsfc kit range is tacky in quality, ill fitting, no brand ********. Save your pounds and expectation.

So he hasn't seen it, just hear'say.

so now we know why adam wants out. now he's a **** Model he doesn't want to be associated with the next monstrosity.

Isn't all this just what doggface posted earlier on. Bloke has read the forum and tweeted what he read.

Would make sense. Equally someone on here posted to expect something akin to the 1995 home shirt, so, we'll see.

No, absolutely not.

So you couldn't work out that you were watching Southampton because of their red and white kit? You must have a short attention span if you can start watching a game of football knowing full well that you are watching Southampton and then forget that you are watching Southampton because they aren't wearing stripes...

Did you have the same problem with the sash kit? Or in 1986 with the mainly red kit... Only in one of the last 4 years have we had stripes - have you only enjoyed one of our last 4 seasons?

So you couldn't work out that you were watching Southampton because of their red and white kit? You must have a short attention span if you can start watching a game of football knowing full well that you are watching Southampton and then forget that you are watching Southampton because they aren't wearing stripes...

Did you have the same problem with the sash kit? Or in 1986 with the mainly red kit... Only in one of the last 4 years have we had stripes - have you only enjoyed one of our last 4 seasons?

I gave an honest opinion and you are being sensationalist and derogatory. To answer the more legitimate questions though:

I enjoyed the Sash kit, it was a nice throwback to our far history. I grew bored of the Sash (a shirt I still wear casually) and wanted the stripes back that season by around mid-October. I do not remember the mid 80's kits as I was only 2 years old at the time, however I do not like them. At least they maintained the black shorts and white socks from our more traditional kit patterns though.

I have enjoyed all of our last four seasons, there was however no reason why our identity had to be in any way compromised to achieve what we have.

I gave an honest opinion and you are being sensationalist and derogatory. To answer the more legitimate questions though:

I enjoyed the Sash kit, it was a nice throwback to our far history. I grew bored of the Sash (a shirt I still wear casually) and wanted the stripes back that season by around mid-October. I do not remember the mid 80's kits as I was only 2 years old at the time, however I do not like them. At least they maintained the black shorts and white socks from our more traditional kit patterns though.

I have enjoyed all of our last four seasons, there was however no reason why our identity had to be in any way compromised to achieve what we have.

I am just failing to understand the concept that the difference in kit can have such a big impact on your perception of the team. I have never before known anyone to "not identify" to their own team as a result of not wearing stripes. The absurdity baffles me. Surely you support a team because of the kit.

We have not lost our identity. We have evolved it and created a new one -and a successful one, at that.

I am just failing to understand the concept that the difference in kit can have such a big impact on your perception of the team. I have never before known anyone to "not identify" to their own team as a result of not wearing stripes. The absurdity baffles me. Surely you support a team because of the kit.

We have not lost our identity. We have evolved it and created a new one -and a successful one, at that.

Well, as indicated above i'm not the only one.

I do not support a kit, I support my team, my club. Part of that club's identity however is it's kit. It has been changed to something different that I do not accept or like. Time hasn't changed that.... I want my team to play in the traditional colours I associate them with. The colours that I have nailed to the mast for the last two decades.

As for a new identity? No, merely corrupted. It's the same badge, same stadium, same city in the part of the country I call home and same fan base.... utterly unrepresentative shirt. Success and an all red kit are not, and never have needed to be mutually exclusive.

It is a massive shame that our most successful league season in the modern era will be associated with a kit that is no representation of our club's proud tradition and historic identity.

Edited by Colinjb

We'll see re: own brand, the last lot of own brand training kit with the flybe sponsor was nice.

This. Take Rugby League shirts. With the likes of ISC, Xamax or O'Neils, you can have any design you like and they are screen printed on white and very good quality. Teams have camouflage efforts for Help the Heros, pink for breast cancer, specials for different events, like MagicWeekend. Some Super League teams are prducing 4 or 5 a season and some of those are at shorter notice than we had to give.

That is Doggface who has already posted almost exact same comments on here. Doubt he would go to the trouble of posting so much info if it was just BS. Not massively concerned about kit myself - especially whether it will contain stripes or not - but not great for perception of the club if it is some cheap bit of tat. White tracksuits sound pretty vile too.

Yes, image and presentation really don't seem important in a globally viewed brand do they.

So for a club to be taken seriously around the world as a brand, we have to have a tick on the front of the shirt (or is it called a swoosh?)? You seem to be saying that the shirt manufacturer is either more or at least as important as the club, or have I got that wrong?

So for a club to be taken seriously around the world as a brand, we have to have a tick on the front of the shirt (or is it called a swoosh?)? You seem to be saying that the shirt manufacturer is either more or at least as important as the club, or have I got that wrong?

Bit of an oversimplification that. Personally, I don't care too much what the shirt looks like - I rarely purchase the official strip, and I've never really been a fan of the stripes that so many seem to clamour for. That said, for a supposedly ambitious top-half team in the most televised football league in the world it is pretty shoddy if we are playing in an unbranded kit that is poorly manufactured. While it is clearly not as important as the club, these things obviously matter in terms of global image and trying to tap into commercial markets abroad. Ralph has been quick to tell us about recruits from Apple on the marketing side of things - they are going to be having to be bloody good if they are flogging some tacky piece of crap.

So he hasn't seen it, just hear'say.

Correct - I have not seen the home kit, that's why I said no news - there was a chance I would have more on the home kit as I posted yesterday.

The rest is fact though.

This is Cortese's doing trying to put a big 2 fingers up to Adidas (and failing miserably), not the new board.

The new board will sort the kit deal from season 2015/16, negotiations were going on with Adidas for next season which even Adidas themselves have confirmed. I hear Nike are and interested party also.

p.s I am a skinny **** not a fat one.

Correct - I have not seen the home kit, that's why I said no news - there was a chance I would have more on the home kit as I posted yesterday.

The rest is fact though.

This is Cortese's doing trying to put a big 2 fingers up to Adidas (and failing miserably), not the new board.

The new board will sort the kit deal from season 2015/16, negotiations were going on with Adidas for next season which even Adidas themselves have confirmed. I hear Nike are and interested party also.

p.s I am a skinny **** not a fat one.

I am also a skinny ****.

Therefore, can you please elaborate on as to how you know the new kit is ill fitting.

Have you tried it on?

Or do you just mean it is not suitable? Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk