2014/15 Kit Revealed - #TheStripesAreBack

The9

I bet he does know who made his Saint's shirt if he's got one, I bet he's seen the Nike adds plastered all over Old Traff and Arsenal, kids are very aware of branded imaging,that's why they're targetted all of the time. The fact that his Saints hero wears and an Adidas shirt will probably lead him to try to influence you when buying trainers, schools bags etc. Depends on their socio-cultural group perhaps. My lad now, he liked Germany's national side, always wanted Adidas everything when possible.

He's got 2 Saints shirts......

Admiral 1977

Patrick 1980-83

He prefer's the Patrick one, but I'll go and ask him if he knows who made these shirts (my old ones).

Liverpool got record sales figures when they changed from the recognisable mighty Adidas to the little known American lacrosse brand, suggests people are not so brand conscious when it comes to football kits. After all a football kit has the coolest brand already on it your club badge.

He's got 2 Saints shirts......

Admiral 1977

Patrick 1980-83

He prefer's the Patrick one, but I'll go and ask him if he knows who made these shirts (my old ones).

Right - just asked him. He looked at me blankly - I could see him thinking "WTF are you on about?" He didn't understand the question as he has no concept of designer badges or who makes which shirt - as I thought. If he did, then I would be deeply upset as I might interpret it (rightly or wrongly) as the first steps down the path of materialism.

Mmm, all the kind of information I learned in the late 70s/early 80s and which has subsequently become defunct or outdated as I care less and less (hasn't happened with kits yet though)... though SP teams by stadium size is just WEIRD.

Right, the results are in. He got Saints, Chelsea and Arsenal right. Thought ManUtd was Umbro, didn't know Liverpool or Spurs or Everton. Guessed Man City as a fluke. Got Newcastle wrong. I couldn't remember who finished in the top 10 (did Newcastle?) so I offered him Villa and he said Nike.

I then asked him what he thought if Saints had a kit made by Adidas, Nike, Warrior, Under Armour, Canterbury, Reebok or a Saints own brand. He liked the own brand idea as it would be different from anyone else's.

Bloody kids.

Kids are funny. Some brand awareness then, but definitely not the issue some of us might have thought amongst the younger fans - but half of them probably don't even know we (used to?) wear stripes. Anyone out there got a 10 yo and/or 13 yo to foist this on them? Sample size is not huge, admittedly. :)

Got to chuckle, the posts above are the very reason people don't say more on here. I know at least 2 other people that read this trash who have seen a sample shirt and that's the reason why they won't share.

To many know it all little drongos ago think they know better then anyone else and go out there way to disagree with posters and abuse them when they have no idea them selves.

I have been foolish in the past posting everything I hear, some doesn't come off but what people don't understand is we can't sign every player we talk to. If people knew how many players we have been 99% complete on signing and fallen through at the last minute you would be shell shocked.

Now I just don't post half the stuff I'm told incase it falls through and give the pond life a ticket to gob off.

Ask Aoc about the cheksea deal? See what he says!?

Caulker was at the training ground as I posted.

To be fair I quite enjoy reading through your posts so please don't stop them coming.

Edited by Matthew Le Tissier

Kids are funny. Some brand awareness then, but definitely not the issue some of us might have thought amongst the younger fans - but half of them probably don't even know we (used to?) wear stripes. Anyone out there got a 10 yo and/or 13 yo to foist this on them? Sample size is not huge, admittedly. :)

I'm not sure what the question is? Are kids brand aware? Of course they are, in as much as they recognise brands. Have you never played the logo game on a smartphone? My 10 year old is great at it.

But what does that mean? Just because a brand is known doesn't necessarily give it a value over other brands.

What do you think? Is Nike better than Adidas? Puma better than Umbro? Warrior better than Lotto? I don't know so sure as s**t a 5 or 8 year old won't give a monkey's.

It's purely a personal opinion. I think fat middle aged men in replica shirts look a bit sad. I doubt the give a monkeys what I think though.

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm neither fat nor middle-aged so that isn't an issue for me personally, I know where you're coming from though.

I just love footie shirts, always have, probably always will do, no idea why I just do.

interesting debate... from a cold commercial point of view , an indy shirt is a disaster for the club and a humiliation. Even though it was clear Adidas had no interest in our club ( they could not even get the correct badge colour on some of the training wear ) and gave us the worst shirt in their catalogue.... Sorting out a replacement supplier is fairly straightforward given the club has(had) 3 months notice. There would be suppliers queuing up to take the contract. However..... it would seem that Saints in their wisdom have decided to go it alone and be brand less this coming season ( otherwise why not at least announce who the new kit supplier is ). And this just smells like a club with no real edge when it comes to commercial handshaking. Veho may well be a splendid local company but again I think a trick has been missed here with the opportunity to bring in a globally recognised shirt sponsor to enhance the global reach of a club that says it is aspiring to European football... There are some great smaller suppliers out there who could have helped Saints out of their "predicament" Companies like Hummel etc etc who are small enough and flexible enough to react to a short timescale contract. Looking back over the past 30 years Saints had a pretty dreadful record with kits ( like the blue flames admiral kit with the collars that shrunk and curled ) and were just looking like they had turned the corner with the Umbro deal. It was unfortunate that Umbro was sold and so effectively had to cancel so many contracts and try to re-emerge so that was just bad luck but just how we came make such a mess of the adidas deal is really beyond me....

I'm not sure what the question is? Are kids brand aware? Of course they are, in as much as they recognise brands. Have you never played the logo game on a smartphone? My 10 year old is great at it.

But what does that mean? Just because a brand is known doesn't necessarily give it a value over other brands.

What do you think? Is Nike better than Adidas? Puma better than Umbro? Warrior better than Lotto? I don't know so sure as s**t a 5 or 8 year old won't give a monkey's.

I've played the logo game, but not as a 10 year old - so I don't know what their perspective on what's good and bad is, or whether that influences the likelihood of them wanting a shirt (or indeed getting one)! The question was about whether the age of kids affected their brand perception and made them more or less likely to want a Saints shirt, I guess.

Personally I think we'd shift FAR more "no brand" striped home shirts than adidas plain red ones because our "stripe" branding is more relevant than adidas' when it comes to Saints kit. I think it's especially true at the moment as we haven't had stripes for a while, and the previous kit is widely unpopular. Obviously if the shirt is tangibly cheap-looking or a bad design that will also affect sales.

I do think, however, that last season's training kit was very nice, and we'd struggle to match the sales of that stuff with a no-name label.

interesting debate... from a cold commercial point of view , an indy shirt is a disaster for the club and a humiliation.

Nonsense - our FA Cup Final season sold piles of shirts (home and away) and they were "indy". There's no humiliation either, it was Saints that cancelled the contract, after all, and we're already negotiating with the same supplier for 2015.

Even though it was clear Adidas had no interest in our club ( they could not even get the correct badge colour on some of the training wear)

Er, what? The same colour badges were clearly a design concept and deliberate - and there was no other "wrong badge" situation.

and gave us the worst shirt in their catalogue....

A matter of opinion, but the club had to approve it, and would have had a selection of designs to pick from. It was also pretty obvious from the West Brom home and away shirts (which looked fantastic) being the same style shirt but with stripes, and the Sunderland and Stoke ones being different styles in the same colours as Saints, that adidas had set aside the West Brom style shirt in our colours had we wanted it.

Sorting out a replacement supplier is fairly straightforward given the club has(had) 3 months notice.

I make it about 6 months' notice by now.

There would be suppliers queuing up to take the contract. However..... it would seem that Saints in their wisdom have decided to go it alone and be brand less this coming season ( otherwise why not at least announce who the new kit supplier is ).

As discussed at length above, most kit "brands" are literally just sticking their logo on already available kit, the exact same stuff as a "no logo" shirt would have. I've seen Sondico and Vandanel use the exact same shirt styles in the past 2 seasons, for instance.

And this just smells like a club with no real edge when it comes to commercial handshaking. Veho may well be a splendid local company but again I think a trick has been missed here with the opportunity to bring in a globally recognised shirt sponsor to enhance the global reach of a club that says it is aspiring to European football...

I'm sure that Cortese thought the same, we still ended up with the same sponsor last season as previously despite the original deal being cancelled AND a lengthy attempt at attracting other companies through an advertising campaign to businesses. We're getting the sponsors who are interested, and the deals we accept.

There are some great smaller suppliers out there who could have helped Saints out of their "predicament" Companies like Hummel etc etc who are small enough and flexible enough to react to a short timescale contract

Hummel at least make their own designs, but (as with Admiral actually) in the UK, their profile is that they're just a teamwear company, selling to parks teams. Plus we'd then be committed to adopting their training range, etc which might actually be of worst quality than some independently sourced gear, or maybe if they don't have any, they'd be supplying the same stuff we could get elsewhere, but with a mark-up. And they may very well not be able to supply in the volumes we need for club and replicas. At least this way the club has a little more control of price and supply.

Looking back over the past 30 years Saints had a pretty dreadful record with kits ( like the blue flames admiral kit with the collars that shrunk and curled )

An example from 23 years ago, and hardly an issue if you didn't boil the thing, I still have one pf the blue flame Admiral kits and it's fine. So now you've decided they make poor quality shirts, do you want us to have a small parks supplier like hummel or Admiral or not?

and were just looking like they had turned the corner with the Umbro deal. It was unfortunate that Umbro was sold and so effectively had to cancel so many contracts and try to re-emerge so that was just bad luck but just how we came make such a mess of the adidas deal is really beyond me....

The Umbro contract finished after the planned 5 years, it had nothing to do with them being sold whatsoever.

This is a Cortese kit. I'm all accepting of giving the board a kicking when it's deserved, but this was not their work.

My earlier post of 19/07/14 is the sale date.

Is it? So is the issue not that "Cortese cancelled the adidas kit and didn't leave us enough lead time to resolve it" but actually because "Cortese cancelled the adidas kit AND kicked off a deal with another supplier which we then couldn't get out of in time"?

Is it? So is the issue not that "Cortese cancelled the adidas kit and didn't leave us enough lead time to resolve it" but actually because "Cortese cancelled the adidas kit AND kicked off a deal with another supplier which we then couldn't get out of in time"?

Yes it is.

There were also badge issues with Adidas (they sent a ton of kit with NO badge on it which really f'd off Cortese), Also the club had to get the players shirts privately tailored.

Don't jump the gun.

Yes it is.

There were also badge issues with Adidas (they sent a ton of kit with NO badge on it which really f'd off Cortese), Also the club had to get the players shirts privately tailored.

Don't jump the gun.

Badge issues with "not having a badge on it" and the "badge is wrong colour" as suggested by JohnnyOldBoy are two very different things. That actually amuses me, given that I bought a load of non-Saints branded adidas kit last season in the same styles as the club was using.

I don't know whether the supplier would usually provide personalised fitted kit, so not sure how much of a big deal that is - i.e. whether the supplier is expected to do that or whether that's just another one of those excessive detail Cortese things which was never expected as part of the deal.

Not sure what "don't jump the gun" is about. I haven't got anything to be jumping the gun with, no timescale other than 19th July and no opinion about a kit I haven't seen and have no idea about other than having a "Veho" logo and a Saints badge on it.

If he can tell you their boots, I bet he can tell you kit "manufacturers".

What's the question then? "Who made [Arsenal]'s kit last season?" - takes out the "changing brands" problem, as it's one thing knowing when a team is actually wearing it, it's another knowing (for instance) that Arsenal's Nike deal has ended and they've signed with Puma but the kit isn't launched yet, though it's been leaked numerous times. Or that Everton launched their new Umbro shirt yesterday, but he's only seen them in Nike for a couple of years.

The9..... u know all yhing kit. How can Everton be umbro next season. Thought they no longer exist

Stores closed on 1st July getting ready for the new season , thats on the official site .

So the Kit should be released tomorrow ???

I would expect it to be shown on tuesday, just after the contractual obligations to Aap3 expire.

saints megastore is shut for almost 3 weeks for refit so surely it can not be an indy kit..... otherwise it would just be a case of take down the adidas signs.....

They've got to take down pretty much all of the player images, I'd imagine.

saints megastore is shut for almost 3 weeks for refit so surely it can not be an indy kit..... otherwise it would just be a case of take down the adidas signs.....

And hopefully refit the whole shop. Its a Point of Sale nightmare. Too much room given over to car stickers and postcards, no flow to the place.

How can we take our club seriously when the Megastore is anything less than Mega!?

That Fulham kit is nice. But are they literally playing 'in black and white' next season? Is that an austerity thing or just a nod to the Victorian charm of Craven Cottage?

The9..... u know all yhing kit. How can Everton be umbro next season. Thought they no longer exist

Sold by Nike to ICONIX in 2012.

He's right, y'know. Some teams in south america have had Umbro kit all the way through, God knows what the complexities of the legal agreements there were, but basically what happened was:

Nike bought Umbro, continued to run them as a separate brand in 2010/11 with new deals, then in 2011 all but announced they were killing the Umbro brand off, took all their good contracts (Man City and England being the most obvious), in the meantime they carried on supplying "Umbro" kit to contractually obligated teams in 2012, before cancelling all the Umbro deals in Europe and then selling the Umbro name to Iconix (a marketing company) at the end of 2012. Most umbro teams went to adidas kit, some went with Nike (Everton) but it depended on years left on their deal (Saints' deal with Umbro was already over anyway at the end of 2012/13) and it was basically a free-for-all.

There were no umbro shirts in the Prem in 2013/14, but some countries (eg Canada and Peru) and south American clubs kept the branding so maybe the Americas Umbro is completely separate company?

Iconix presumably then got someone to make kit to put an umbro logo on and in early 2014 more forthcoming shirts pitched up, including Everton's. FWIW I don't like the logo on the sleeve much, but the rest of it seems nice.

I get the feeling this new kit will be so **** it'll make losing Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana look like no problem whatsoever.

Heard from a friend who works for the Saints Foundation that the kit is grey and also very tight fitting- he wasn't impressed at all. (however take it with a pinch of salt)

I am not up to speed on kit deals, but why. Does it matter which company makes it? If we make our own surely we can provide a unique design. I suspect the possibility of a company making 10k shirts would get them falling over themselves for the opportunity