2014/15 Kit Revealed - #TheStripesAreBack

The9

Well, as indicated above i'm not the only one.

I do not support a kit, I support my team, my club. Part of that club's identity however is it's kit. It has been changed to something different that I do not accept or like. Time hasn't changed that.... I want my team to play in the traditional colours I associate them with. The colours that I have nailed to the mast for the last two decades.

As for a new identity? No, merely corrupted. It's the same badge, same stadium, same city in the part of the country I call home and same fan base.... utterly unrepresentative shirt. Success and an all red kit are not, and never have needed to be mutually exclusive.

It is a massive shame that our most successful league season in the modern era will be associated with a kit that is no representation of our club's proud tradition and historic identity.

I am with you on this. Even by the end of the season I kept thinking of Liverpool instead of Saints. I am not from Southampton and started supporting Saints because the first match I saw was against Palace and I liked the red and white stripes better than Palace's kit (1966). I want my team to do well but I want to see them doing well in their traditional kit. Call me old fashioned but there you go.

Dissappointing, but MLT did warn us earlier in the year it would be own-brand.

I was hoping it might just be produced by a lesser-known manufacturer, but it appears hope for that has gone now too.

Bloody Hell, Ralf Krueger isn't putting it together at the back of the Kingsland Stand with his Singer. If it is an 'own brand' it will still be manufactured in one of the Bangladeshi sweatshops that Nike/Adidas/Puma et al use.

Bloody Hell, Ralf Krueger isn't putting it together at the back of the Kingsland Stand with his Singer. If it is an 'own brand' it will still be manufactured in one of the Bangladeshi sweatshops that Nike/Adidas/Puma et al use.

There's still differences in quality, even if they're made in the same factory.

I don't care what the team look like on the pitch, I just care about my own personal comfort levels wearing the shirt throughout a long PL season.

If it's of the old Saints own brand quality I shan't be buying anyway.

Having seen it I think you will be presently surprised , obviously the usual drongos will cry. Lots of you are far off the mark though

Seen it in the same way you saw Yoshida at Staplewood then he was pictured training with Japan in Tokyo on the same day? Or actually really seen it?

I don't care what the team look like on the pitch, I just care about my own personal comfort levels wearing the shirt throughout a long PL season.

If it's of the old Saints own brand quality I shan't be buying anyway.

Aren't all football shirts horribly uncomfortable? Like wearing paper - not that I'm an expert. Wearing football shirts is for the under 20's.

To be fair, when it comes to the kit MLT is 100% ITK

Choose to the listen to him or not.

credit where due he was 1st on the scene saying own/no brand. That said if he has seen it, let's have a few details of the home kit ffs!

I hate teasing posts. The majority of us on this thread obviously want to know what the kit looks like. If you know, why not share with us?!

Because it's infinitely more fun to watch people seemingly spontaneously combust as they exhibit their lack of patience?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I sincerely hope that it's not a w*nk homespun job, as given the amount of decent lesser branded options seemingly available it would be a spectacular cock up. Blaming Cortese won't wash either given the timescale, Derby have just contracted with Umbro for a single season and it's negotiation and buying, not rocket science...

Not according to my "contact" (i.e. mate) who used to work in the fashion industry, bought in loads of clothing over a long time frame for a high street retailer and had a number of tours of the so-called sweatshops.

I sincerely hope that it's not a w*nk homespun job, as given the amount of decent lesser branded options seemingly available it would be a spectacular cock up. Blaming Cortese won't wash either given the timescale, Derby have just contracted with Umbro for a single season and it's negotiation and buying, not rocket science...

Most of those "lesser brands" are using the exact same materials and manufacturing process though, it is literally just them slapping a "brand" badge on a load of equipment that is already in existence and can be sourced from the same place by loads of different brands. I've mentioned before that Fulham had the same training tops as Saints when they were wearing Airness and we had "Saints Apparel".

As for those saying "own brand would be rubbish in the Prem", well we already did that from 1998-2005 and it was fine, and Palace did it just last season to no great debate (though Avec slapped a logo on some of it).

I genuinely think the adoption of this (or one of the other 'classics') would add a few season ticket sales and push on the feel good factor - such an easy gain as well, particularly for a single season...

We don't want much, this would be fine.

Though I doubt Admiral are producing "player weight" lined winter shirts (and I know adidas do because I've worn one), it wasn't a problem for 7 years last time around in the Prem. The main problem is the perception that we're "dropping down" from adidas. I doubt the players are massively bothered but it's all about perception and I bet they won't be getting freebie adidas training kit, trainers, etc this season...

Most of those "lesser brands" are using the exact same materials and manufacturing process though, it is literally just them slapping a "brand" badge on a load of equipment that is already in existence and can be sourced from the same place by loads of different brands. I've mentioned before that Fulham had the same training tops as Saints when they were wearing Airness and we had "Saints Apparel".

As for those saying "own brand would be rubbish in the Prem", well we already did that from 1998-2005 and it was fine, and Palace did it just last season to no great debate (though Avec slapped a logo on some of it).

This.

I know it's personal, but I am not a label whore and my clothes usually have the label on the inside. You don't get Hilditch & Key having their logo emblazoned everywhere, but then I guess it's a different thing. As i say it's personal. I also am more than happy to wear something out of the same factory, made of the same material to the same standards, if it is cheaper without a logo. I do realise people like to show logos off. If it is a different quality, then there is a justification to expect a different price.

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone knew the finances of shirt sponsorship? Clubs get paid (tens of) millions by the shirt manufacturers. Take Man Utd. They have recently signed a 10 year deal with Nike for £600m. They sell something like 1.5m shirts a year, so lets say 15m over 10 years. On their site the 2013/14 home shirt, pre discount, was £55-65 or £42 for a kids one. Does anyone know the cost of production, presumably Nike take something, Man U take something and the fan ends up paying the £600m back to Nike on top of their & Man U's profit.

Let's face it, £55-65 for a natty shirt that cost something like £2 to make (if that) isn't very good value.

No brand at all would look very amateurish in the Premier League. Hope it's just people on a wind up but then, are we really expecting a proper company to have made it and not confirmed yet?

Dissappointing, but MLT did warn us earlier in the year it would be own-brand.

I was hoping it might just be produced by a lesser-known manufacturer, but it appears hope for that has gone now too.

****ing brilliant the depths that that bedwetting takes on here. I bet no one could name the shirt makes of more than a handfull of teams, hardly anyone takes any notice because hardly any one cares.

****ing brilliant the depths that that bedwetting takes on here. I bet no one could name the shirt makes of more than a handfull of teams, hardly anyone takes any notice because hardly any one cares.

But most 5 year olds could tell you the shirt makers of top teams, that's the point. It doesn't matter who makes Watford's shirt or Barnsley's but having a "branded" shirt is essential for popular recognition if you want to be a global entity, which apparently we do. Anyway we'll just have to wait and see and hope it's not no-name tat.

But most 5 year olds could tell you the shirt makers of top teams, that's the point. It doesn't matter who makes Watford's shirt or Barnsley's but having a "branded" shirt is essential for popular recognition if you want to be a global entity, which apparently we do. Anyway we'll just have to wait and see and hope it's not no-name tat.

I'll give you 8 year olds, not 5 year olds though. And that doesn't mean they're making any judgement on the quality of the product. I would say having an "identifiable" shirt is as important - and actually kids will wear whatever you give them if you manage it well.

My boy is just coming up 8. He talks footie THE whole time, to the point of being boring, but at least it's mostly about Saints. He wouldn't know who the shirt manufacturer is of any team inc Saints, nor would he care.

Are you seriously suggesting that a 5yo or 8yo really cares who makes a replica shirt? If so, what very strange times we live in!!

My boy is just coming up 8. He talks footie THE whole time, to the point of being boring, but at least it's mostly about Saints. He wouldn't know who the shirt manufacturer is of any team inc Saints, nor would he care.

Are you seriously suggesting that a 5yo or 8yo really cares who makes a replica shirt? If so, what very strange times we live in!!

I'm suggesting that they mostly don't care, though some of them will know. A lot of them seem happy wearing a previous season's, from experience some of them seem to have been happier with one that used to be a brother or uncle's too.

You're suggesting he doesn't know adidas from "not adidas"? Give it a few weeks and some conversations with his mates... there might be some playground snobbery about to kick in.

I bet he does know who made his Saint's shirt if he's got one, I bet he's seen the Nike adds plastered all over Old Traff and Arsenal, kids are very aware of branded imaging,that's why they're targetted all of the time. The fact that his Saints hero wears and an Adidas shirt will probably lead him to try to influence you when buying trainers, schools bags etc. Depends on their socio-cultural group perhaps. My lad now, he liked Germany's national side, always wanted Adidas everything when possible.

Of course, some of us are just more wired to notice details like manufacturer/brand and details like that than others as well as whether they choose to regard it as important. Plus to my recollection kids are pretty bad at recalling and challenging the lies parents tell them - hence some of them proudly sporting 5 year old kits that they never worry about reconciling with the team actually wearing something else.

This. My 7yo is football mad, could probably tell you the starting line up for most teams at the WC, knows the ins and outs of Prem players (age, height, previous clubs ) and can tell you what boots they wear. As for it makers, I doubt it. I'll test him tonight at dinner.

This. My 7yo is football mad, could probably tell you the starting line up for most teams at the WC, knows the ins and outs of Prem players (age, height, previous clubs ) and can tell you what boots they wear. As for it makers, I doubt it. I'll test him tonight at dinner.

If he can tell you their boots, I bet he can tell you kit "manufacturers".

What's the question then? "Who made [Arsenal]'s kit last season?" - takes out the "changing brands" problem, as it's one thing knowing when a team is actually wearing it, it's another knowing (for instance) that Arsenal's Nike deal has ended and they've signed with Puma but the kit isn't launched yet, though it's been leaked numerous times. Or that Everton launched their new Umbro shirt yesterday, but he's only seen them in Nike for a couple of years.

If he can tell you their boots, I bet he can tell you kit "manufacturers".

What's the question then? "Who made [Arsenal]'s kit last season?" - takes out the "changing brands" problem, as it's one thing knowing when a team is actually wearing it, it's another knowing (for instance) that Arsenal's Nike deal has ended and they've signed with Puma but the kit isn't launched yet, though it's been leaked numerous times. Or that Everton launched their new Umbro shirt yesterday, but he's only seen them in Nike for a couple of years.

I'll ask him who made the kit of the top 10 Prem teams last season and see how he gets on. My guess he he will know Chelsea (he plays in one of their youth development things) Saints and maybe 2 more.

Seems like a sound questionnaire - first answers only though. You may also want to try him on sponsors if he's enjoying himself. :)

Ha, I'll try that. I get endless lists of crap nightly (all premier league nicknames, premier league "rude" nicknames, each clubs record signing, SPL teams by stadium size, League One teams by how many players they have that are ex-Saints.) bloody statto.

Mmm, all the kind of information I learned in the late 70s/early 80s and which has subsequently become defunct or outdated as I care less and less (hasn't happened with kits yet though)... though SP teams by stadium size is just WEIRD.

Aren't all football shirts horribly uncomfortable? Like wearing paper - not that I'm an expert. Wearing football shirts is for the under 20's.

Personally, I found the Adidas home shirt (although not fantastically designed) rather comfortable last season and probably the best we've had to wear since the 2011/12 Umbro home shirt which was great as well.

I also don't think that shirts are for under-20s either, you see a variety of ages wearing their Saints shirts with pride on a matchday and I don't think there's anything wrong with that personally, although I stopped having a players name on the back of my shirt a long time ago.

Personally, I found the Adidas home shirt (although not fantastically designed) rather comfortable last season and probably the best we've had to wear since the 2011/12 Umbro home shirt which was great as well.

I also don't think that shirts are for under-20s either, you see a variety of ages wearing their Saints shirts with pride on a matchday and I don't think there's anything wrong with that personally, although I stopped having a players name on the back of my shirt a long time ago.

It's purely a personal opinion. I think fat middle aged men in replica shirts look a bit sad. I doubt the give a monkeys what I think though.