2014/15 Kit Revealed - #TheStripesAreBack

The9

I am not up to speed on kit deals, but why. Does it matter which company makes it? If we make our own surely we can provide a unique design. I suspect the possibility of a company making 10k shirts would get them falling over themselves for the opportunity

Highly likely. However I seem to remember that the last home made kit that we had wasn't of great quality at the outset. Perhaps it got better in time. Didn't the colours run or the stitching come loose or something.

Spin this however you like, but the failure to get a contract in place for teamwear with a quality manufacturer in time for the season is understandable given the reported initial problem and subsequent upheaval and changes in much more important areas of the club.

Spun!

Highly likely. However I seem to remember that the last home made kit that we had wasn't of great quality at the outset. Perhaps it got better in time. Didn't the colours run or the stitching come loose or something.

For this one...

southampton_2005-2006.gif

There was no elasticity in the collar and it was extremely difficult to get on over your head.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I would have thought there is an fantastic extra revenue stream if they get this right

13812233660.jpg

Heard from a friend who works for the Saints Foundation that the kit is grey and also very tight fitting- he wasn't impressed at all. (however take it with a pinch of salt)

I think you mate is confusing his common household materials.

A pinch of talc might be better, if this is the new kit.

Best bit about the Adidas deal was the nice training kit.

Really? You mean exactly the same training kit that half the premier league wore? It wasn't bad I guess but would be great to have something unique. Personally I always liked the own brand kit

Really? You mean exactly the same training kit that half the premier league wore? It wasn't bad I guess but would be great to have something unique. Personally I always liked the own brand kit

Yeah this really rankled with me. I think its so lazy by the supplier and also rude because it looks like half the PL were part of team adidas as though it were prestigious to be with them or something as opposed to adidas supplying bespoke kits to the PL teams who it should be prestigious to be able to supply to. Without the clubs adidas wouldn't shift the kits.

I don't see how own brand is amateurish. It sets us apart if nothing else. Palace did fine with it last season. At least we have a sponsor! (unlike Palace).

When it comes down to it, how likely is it that the club will see a significant drop in shirt sales next season? Not much at all, because kids and die-hards (to whom replicas are primarily aimed at) don't care one bit about brand or the fact that manufacturing has been outsourced.

In my opinion, the club will be able to flex it's creative muscle and I wouldn't be surprised to see a progressive and inventive design. It might even prove to be popular, despite the posting of typical, knee-jerk reactions.

Only Saints could muck up an Adidas deal..... Leave it too late to sign on the dotted line so we were given what we were given ( a dire kit ) and then throw toys out of the pram and end up with a kit worse than Half the championship.... what a total and utter **** up... and whose it to blame... ???? well I wonder....

Yep, loved it, didn't care who else had a similar style. It was as good as the home shirt was cack.

When it comes down to it, how likely is it that the club will see a significant drop in shirt sales next season? Not much at all, because kids and die-hards (to whom replicas are primarily aimed at) don't care one bit about brand or the fact that manufacturing has been outsourced.

In my opinion, the club will be able to flex it's creative muscle and I wouldn't be surprised to see a progressive and inventive design. It might even prove to be popular, despite the posting of typical, knee-jerk reactions.

The chances of us selling fewer shirts than last year will be down to design and quality because there will be no sales to brand fans. Had last year's Adidas shirts been striped they would have broken a load of sales records, but because they were plain red and Saints fans mostly hated the design (source, this site and Echo polls) we've still got loads left.

Oh dear.

The quality will be sh*te...

We are making our own shirts again? omg. Laughing stock. How the hell do we retain players at the top of their profession dressed in the worst kit in the league? Turn out for saints and have the **** taken out of you by your fellow professionals!

Are the Club stupid? We tried this before. It was crap. Top players dressed in home made shirts.

We are going down, it's yet another Lowe-ism.

Let's compare - finish 8th. Fail to spend money on the team but reinforce the facilities. Lose players. Fail to spend money on the team. Lose a manager due to lack of ambition and ability to advance. Sell the home grown talent. Then buy your own ****ty shirts to make more money, get laughed at by your mates who support teams that wear top company shirts....

What's next? We becoming a plc?

Don't tell me? We fail to do well, more players leave, fail to invest again, lose the manager, put in Sammy Lee as a cheap alternative, relegate to League 1. Then, find a new owner after near bankruptcy and a new Cortese. Build up and promote just in time for the World Cup in Qatar......... And make the same mistakes again?

WTF?

We are being run by amateurs. Making your own shirts?! At least if you're going to kiss the badge before you leave, let it be one without a loose thread.

Amateurish. I am giving in....

I can see Southampton City centre full of top quality Liverpool shirted nippas again soon. We are going to become a joke.

Edited by SaintRobbie

Spin this however you like, but the failure to get a contract in place for teamwear with a quality manufacturer in time for the season is amateurish.

Not really, if the outgoing chairman kicked off a deal with a new supplier, which apparently he did. That takes the lead time down from "Adidas deal cancelled months ago" to "would have then had to cancel another deal and get a new supplier in place in a shorter time scale", not to mention the cost and risk to reputation.

We are making our own shirts again? omg. Laughing stock. How the hell do we retain players at the top of their profession dressed in the worst kit in the league? Turn out for saints and have the **** taken out of you by your fellow professionals!

Are the Club stupid? We tried this before. It was crap. Top players dressed in home made shirts.

Let's compare - finish 8th. Fail to spend money on the team but reinforce the facilities. Lose players. Fail to spend money on the team. Lose a manager due to lack of ambition and ability to advance. Sell the home grown talent. Then buy your own ****ty shirts to make more money, get laughed at by your mates who support teams that wear top company shirts....

Don't tell me? We fail to do well, more players leave, fail to invest again, lose the manager, put in Sammy Lee as a cheap alternative, relegate to League 1. Then, find a new owner after near bankruptcy and a new Cortese. Build up and promote just in time for the World Cup in Qatar......... And make the same mistakes again?

WTF?

We are being run by amateurs. Making your own shirts?! At least if you're going to kiss the badge before you leave, let it be one without a loose thread.

Yeah, except it was your mate "please come back Mr" Cortese who brokered the amateurish deal.

Ps has anyone else mentioned that you sound like an hysterical ar5e?

WTF?

I can see Southampton City centre full of top quality Liverpool shirted nippas again soon. We are going to become a joke.

This is a pi ss take, right?

Yeah, except it was your mate "please come back Mr" Cortese who brokered the amateurish deal.

Ps has anyone else mentioned that you sound like an hysterical ar5e?

I can only base what I see on what before. I am sounding negative. You're right. I need some optimism. I'm sure Reed and Koeman won't disappoint. I look forward to toting up the cost of the players we buy before the end of next month too.... You know, just to see if we spend all our Premier League money AND transfer cash.

But, (sigh) you're right. Time to cheer up....

(BTW, Cortese failed to do nothing in November on the shirts. And nothing's been done since!!!!!! What did Koeman order Ice Hockey ones?)

own brand = cheapo. if we want to be treated like a big club we have to look like one.

Correct. It's psychological. I remember when we got a 'proper' strip after the last home made one... It was a buzz. Felt like we were a top club again. Going from top brand to home made just has the opposite effect.

No it was a proper rant! :)

Need some good news.....

Well, watch out. You are veering into Alpine territory with a some of your posts.

Some of my all time favourite Saints wore own brand kit. It will be fine.

Because all big clubs must use brands like Nike and Addidas? Wouldn't you rather the club developed it's own identity and success apart from the established status quo?

To be honest, no, because you can bet that the quality will not be great. We have an identity, and given that Adidas' core brand is stripes, it surely wouldn't have beyond the wit of man to work the two things together without morphing into a Sunderland-type clone. Big brand, quality assurance, lots of outlets (how I have yearned to buy a Saints shirt in a chain - sorry), and a cleverly forged identity. But no.

Edited by DT

To be honest, no, because you can bet that the quality will not be great. We have an identity, and given that Adidas' core brand is stripes, it surely wouldn't have beyond the wit of man to work the two things together without morphing into a Sunderland-type clone. Bib grand, quality assurance, lots of outlets (how I have yearned to buy a Saints shirt in a chain - sorry), and a cleverly forged identity. But no.

That's fair enough - I'd also feel a small bit of pride over seeing a Saints shirt in a 'sports shop'! My own personal opinion, however, is that so long as it makes the club financially successful, anything goes.

If city or Chelsea started using there own brand kit everyone would be WOW They are minted they can even have there own kit made bespoke for them!! And everyone would be suggesting we done it!!

Who gives a toss what the kit is, or what it looks like, if it got us 10 points more a season IDE be with ya, but infact what the hell does it matter!!

Cabt believe the interest and debate of what bloody kit we will be using !!

To be honest, no, because you can bet that the quality will not be great. We have an identity, and given that Adidas' core brand is stripes, it surely wouldn't have beyond the wit of man to work the two things together without morphing into a Sunderland-type clone. Big brand, quality assurance, lots of outlets (how I have yearned to buy a Saints shirt in a chain - sorry), and a cleverly forged identity. But no.

Those adidas kits were fu cking sh it.

"Quality assurance" from off the peg Adidas football kits? Effing la la land.

Robbie's post might sound f*cking ridiculous but i have heard from two sources within the club that Lallana and Shaw both wanted to leave because they didn't want to wear an own brand shirt. One of my sources said that Lallana had said something along the lines of "Im not going from playing in the World Cup to wearing a Tesco top, get f*cked"

I wonder about the calibre the 9 young kids we just signed. I mean, why would they come to us knowing that we haven't even got a proper shirt? I suspect that this lot might be the worst lot of scholars that we've ever had.

If city or Chelsea started using there own brand kit everyone would be WOW They are minted they can even have there own kit made bespoke for them!! And everyone would be suggesting we done it!!

Who gives a toss what the kit is, or what it looks like, if it got us 10 points more a season IDE be with ya, but infact what the hell does it matter!!

Cabt believe the interest and debate of what bloody kit we will be using !!

*applauds* spot on

Robbie's post might sound f*cking ridiculous but i have heard from two sources within the club that Lallana and Shaw both wanted to leave because they didn't want to wear an own brand shirt. One of my sources said that Lallana had said something along the lines of "Im not going from playing in the World Cup to wearing a Tesco top, get f*cked"

I wonder about the calibre the 9 young kids we just signed. I mean, why would they come to us knowing that we haven't even got a proper shirt? I suspect that this lot might be the worst lot of scholars that we've ever had.

You're right. Footballers don't care about image at all.

WTF?

Pampers nappies needed

WTF?

Moan moan ****ing moan, it's just a bloody football top. Some of you are really pathetic!