2014/15 Kit Revealed - #TheStripesAreBack

The9

I've known it would most likely be an own-brand kit thanks to MLT for a while.

I think it's hilarious seeing all these people who have rarely/never commented on this thread and have shown no interest in the new kit to suddenly flood this thread with their 'outrage' after Saints announced what most of us already knew in this thread months ago.

At first I was a bit dissappointed too, but having 2/3 months to reflect, I really don't give a sh!t now.

Edited by BlakeySFC

I'd rather have a club made shirt then some generic template crap any day. No excuses for it not to be stripes now though

Apart from the fact Cortese did it. Its not stripes because he didnt like them and the new lads didnt have time to change it as was already agreed.

Is that a good enough excuse?

I'm more disappointed we haven't had as many mock ups on this thread like previous years or any real clues as to what it may look like. Someone must know something (and be willing to share rather than tease).

I think we've known that it was likely to be own brand. I'm too fussed bout it. There are pros and cons but I like the idea that an own brand kit at least gives us more design freedom than a limited template choice but I do have some worries about the quality.

Apart from the fact Cortese did it. Its not stripes because he didnt like them and the new lads didnt have time to change it as was already agreed.

Is that a good enough excuse?

No that's a sh#t excuse considering they're not even on sale until the end of july. How much of a lead time do they need ffs

Only Saints could muck up an Adidas deal..... Leave it too late to sign on the dotted line so we were given what we were given ( a dire kit ) and then throw toys out of the pram and end up with a kit worse than Half the championship.... what a total and utter **** up... and whose it to blame... ???? well I wonder....

Cortese

Only Saints could muck up an Adidas deal..... Leave it too late to sign on the dotted line so we were given what we were given ( a dire kit ) and then throw toys out of the pram and end up with a kit worse than Half the championship.... what a total and utter **** up... and whose it to blame... ???? well I wonder....

Les Reed?....Ummm, no, Guly?

You've got me.

Who gives a shyt who makes the kit

It will mostly be red. With some white. It will be the same football top type material made by 7 year olds in some hell hole in Asia

Our resident nutter will complain because he can't get his huge head through the hole and some will like it, some won't......oh, it will cost circa £40

I'm more disappointed we haven't had as many mock ups on this thread like previous years or any real clues as to what it may look like. Someone must know something (and be willing to share rather than tease).

I think we've known that it was likely to be own brand. I'm too fussed bout it. There are pros and cons but I like the idea that an own brand kit at least gives us more design freedom than a limited template choice but I do have some worries about the quality.

Me too. I normally like to do one of my own, but as no one else has, here's a dodgy photo of a red kit that kinda fits all the chatter thus far.

3y4aseja.jpg

Still think we should have contacted Patrick to produce the 'Keegan' kit.

They would have sucked our directors off for an in to the Premier League.

Seeing as they're owned by Mike Ashley who already owns his own Premier League club, I somehow doubt this is the case.

Not sure what point I'm making here, but doesn't it look cheap and crappy without the branding? I mean ANY branding, Puma, Arsenal or Emirates. It literally is just an ugly polyester blend t-shirt for £50.

Yikes.

And with that, the scales fell from his eyes.

(BTW, Cortese failed to do nothing in November on the shirts. And nothing's been done since!!!!!! What did Koeman order Ice Hockey ones?)

I can't even understand what point you're trying to make here. Cortese "failed to do nothing since November"? So he did something?

We know he did, I know he did, I just told *you* that (repeated from information in the thread). He cancelled the Adidas deal, because he's stroppy, and kicked off the own brand stuff, because he's an egomaniac whose eye for detail only extends to the thing directly in his mind st that precise second, and judging by other projects, he'd rather spend money than time on quality and prefers endless iterations at cost until he gets bored, rather than "wasting" his time defining his requirements properly in the first place.

There's also the question about whether this is his parting gift, knowing he was leaving and still had the ability to leave a legacy by sodding up the lead times, because the one thing that I don't think is in doubt, is that he'd really love to do that.

Anyway, sounds like it's still red, it has now been confirmed as own brand (to the surprise of no-one on here for the last few months) and there's not much point doing mock ups if he haven't got a clue what it'll look like. "A V with stripes under it" has been mentioned but it seems only maybe one or two people have seen it, and one of them is smug enough about it that I'd really rather not hear from them at all.

By the way, some ice hockey shirts are awesome, but they don't often come in stripes nowadays.

And with that, the scales fell from his eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I used to work in sports retail, I know the kind of mark ups and the often rubbish material. I'm just pointing out how crappy it looks without the design bits that people like to complain about.

Something else just occurred to me about the design, that Heart and Home logo thing sort of had stripes on it, what if the design is those "sort of stripes"? That would be in line with the previous comments about the Pony tick style, as they weren't full stripes either. It would be pretty ugly on the front of a red shirt.

Anyway, we'll know pretty soon.

Are you sure about that?

Well, I'm sure that Patrick was owned by JJB Sports and before that Dave Whelan until SportsDirect bought them out, and SportsDirect were still doing Patrick teamwear last season. It is possible that Ashley flogged the name to someone else when I wasn't looking though, they seem to have shifted to the same styles with Sondico on everything in the past year or so, just like JJB used to cycle through brands (Champion, JJB, Patrick).

Edited by The9

Just did a little Google, in Europe Patrick is owned by the Cortina group, they supply a couple of clubs with some very generic looking stuff. I'll have a delve to see if theres anything about UK licensing or ownership, or whether it's all part of the old intersport group that Ashley assimilated.

Nope, looks like either the current Patrick brand was used under license by JJB until 2008, or Whelan shifted the brand onto Cortina having improved it's profile by having Wigan wear their shirts circa 2007.

So, not owned by Ashley as part of the subsequent JJB purchase by Sports Direct (despite them both selling Patrick teamwear) and a fair point that they would greatly benefit from some Prem exposure. They do currently make some crappo quality stuff though.

Edited by The9

Remember that one with the wooden neck that you couldn't get off lol

Every shirt would be like that if they forgot to put the elastic bit in the collar like they did with the central badge "Theo shirt".

I can't even understand what point you're trying to make here. Cortese "failed to do nothing since November"? So he did something?

We know he did, I know he did, I just told *you* that (repeated from information in the thread). He cancelled the Adidas deal, because he's stroppy, and kicked off the own brand stuff, because he's an egomaniac whose eye for detail only extends to the thing directly in his mind st that precise second, and judging by other projects, he'd rather spend money than time on quality and prefers endless iterations at cost until he gets bored, rather than "wasting" his time defining his requirements properly in the first place.

There's also the question about whether this is his parting gift, knowing he was leaving and still had the ability to leave a legacy by sodding up the lead times, because the one thing that I don't think is in doubt, is that he'd really love to do that.

Anyway, sounds like it's still red, it has now been confirmed as own brand (to the surprise of no-one on here for the last few months) and there's not much point doing mock ups if he haven't got a clue what it'll look like. "A V with stripes under it" has been mentioned but it seems only maybe one or two people have seen it, and one of them is smug enough about it that I'd really rather not hear from them at all.

By the way, some ice hockey shirts are awesome, but they don't often come in stripes nowadays.

An excellent, and accurate description of Cortese.

Amateurish. I am giving in....

I can see Southampton City centre full of top quality Liverpool shirted nippas again soon. We are going to become a joke.

If we signed up to a little known American lacrosse brand you would be going mad. You are a ****in moron.

We are making our own shirts again? omg. Laughing stock. How the hell do we retain players at the top of their profession dressed in the worst kit in the league? Turn out for saints and have the **** taken out of you by your fellow professionals!

Are the Club stupid? We tried this before. It was crap. Top players dressed in home made shirts.

We are going down, it's yet another Lowe-ism.

Let's compare - finish 8th. Fail to spend money on the team but reinforce the facilities. Lose players. Fail to spend money on the team. Lose a manager due to lack of ambition and ability to advance. Sell the home grown talent. Then buy your own ****ty shirts to make more money, get laughed at by your mates who support teams that wear top company shirts....

What's next? We becoming a plc?

Don't tell me? We fail to do well, more players leave, fail to invest again, lose the manager, put in Sammy Lee as a cheap alternative, relegate to League 1. Then, find a new owner after near bankruptcy and a new Cortese. Build up and promote just in time for the World Cup in Qatar......... And make the same mistakes again?

WTF?

We are being run by amateurs. Making your own shirts?! At least if you're going to kiss the badge before you leave, let it be one without a loose thread.

Amateurish. I am giving in....

I can see Southampton City centre full of top quality Liverpool shirted nippas again soon. We are going to become a joke.

You are Paul Whitehouse off The Fast Show and I claim my prize.

An excellent, and accurate description of Cortese.

I'm only going off the various stories that have gone around to built up this picture. I also get the idea he can be incredibly mean-spirited and petty over even minor things, and have some concerns about what we're getting lumbered with this season as a result.

this is a 14/15 kit thread so those who are saying they "don't give a sh1t about the kit" ...... WHY are you wasting finger energy typing stuff here ?? regards the finances of a home spun shirt, the margin will be much great because fans will pay the £45 for the shirt that cost £5 to make with no overheads , but the profit at the end of the season on shirts and merchandising will be lower than had we had a proper apparel company supplying us. This is because the training wear is a lot more popular that people think and from most suppliers would generate good margins for the club.... own brand training wear will be over-priced tat and will sell poorly. So its not a financial success.... its hopefully just a one year embarrassment and the die hards and kids shirt sales will go some way to helping the club.... but you could alway of course by a past-years striped shirt on ebay for a tenner and just post £35 to the club as a gift..... LOL......

There's nothing like a good kit thread and this is...

Anyway, the terrible shirt I posted is a cheap own brand (pretty sure its not the arsenal shirt, judging by the photos in the link). I choose it mainly because it looks too tight and a bit shiny. Like the morph suit previously posted (I am going on that as a hot ITK lead).

Aha. still sent from my effing nexus 4, but I have found the setting now dammit.

this is a 14/15 kit thread so those who are saying they "don't give a sh1t about the kit" ...... WHY are you wasting finger energy typing stuff here ?? regards the finances of a home spun shirt, the margin will be much great because fans will pay the £45 for the shirt that cost £5 to make with no overheads , but the profit at the end of the season on shirts and merchandising will be lower than had we had a proper apparel company supplying us. This is because the training wear is a lot more popular that people think and from most suppliers would generate good margins for the club.... own brand training wear will be over-priced tat and will sell poorly. So its not a financial success.... its hopefully just a one year embarrassment and the die hards and kids shirt sales will go some way to helping the club.... but you could alway of course by a past-years striped shirt on ebay for a tenner and just post £35 to the club as a gift..... LOL......

There aren't many "don't cares" on here, though I agree with the principle that its strange to post about not being bothered about things you are not bothered by.

Also, I very much doubt that the bigger margins on the kit will be offset by the training wear. Firstly because the club doesn't have anyone doing distribution across the country anyway, and unless they start now, that's not an additional cost. Also, last year's shirts didn't sell very well, and they're much more likely to make more money shifting more shirts than they are going to lose from training wear.

You've also assumed that the training wear will be poor quality and will sell far less due to that, when it may not be true. Compared to the home shirt, last year's training wear was nice, and the first I'd bought in years, but I also only bought maybe two Umbro training items in 5 years, and loads more of the own brand stuff before that, which for the record was of an equivalent standard and quality to anything either Umbro or adidas produced.

You can also hardly be concerned that only "die-hard" kit buyers will buy the new shirt, when a lot of the "die-hard" kit buyers didn't even buy last year's because of the crap design DESPITE the introduction of a popular brand. If it's stripes and vaguely decent it'll still shift more than last year's. You don't maximise profit by producing something only 20% of interested people actually like.

I remember playing 5 a side in the own made one on a very hot day. It was a long sleeve one and I'd rolled up the sleeves, but they shrank while I was playing, as did the neck and I couldn't get the damn thing off. Had to cut if off with scissors.

Note: I am not a fat ****.

I hope they get the sizing right this time. I remember poor old Alpine having to buy an XXXXXXXXXL size once, Poor sod...

I remember playing 5 a side in the own made one on a very hot day. It was a long sleeve one and I'd rolled up the sleeves, but they shrank while I was playing, as did the neck and I couldn't get the damn thing off. Had to cut if off with scissors.

Note: I am not a fat ****.

This one?

Theo%20Walcott%20of%20Southampton%20celebrates%20scoring%20a%20goal%20during%20the%20Coca-Cola%20Championship%20match%20between%20Southampton%20and%20Stoke%20City