Gazzaniga

Glasgow_Saint

He shows flashes of ability at times but at his age you would hope to see some signs of consistent composure, decision making and command of his area.

Sadly I don't believe he is good enough to even be our back-up.

Feel sorry for the lad, but he shouldn't be at this level. He lacks the basic instincts and attributes to be a top level goal keeper and that isn't going to change.

Why? He's making huge ££ per week despite being utter ****e at his job.

He is by far the worst goalkeeper to play in the Premier League this season.

Youre obsessed mate

I'm really not. And I'm certainly no knee-jerker either, but I honestly do believe that most people will agree that if we're serious about out continuous improvement, into the Top 10 of the Premier League, then Gazza is not, sadly, good enough to remain with us.

I'm really not. And I'm certainly no knee-jerker either, but I honestly do believe that most people will agree that if we're serious about out continuous improvement, into the Top 10 of the Premier League, then Gazza is not, sadly, good enough to remain with us.

Please don't give him the honour of a serious and sensible reply.

Time will tell.

Is he good enough right now - no

Will he be - yes (imho)

Look at the way Adam, Luke, Jay, Morgan have all improved under mopo. Is it impossible for Gazza to improve the same way?

Time will tell.

Is he good enough right now - no

Will he be - yes (imho)

Look at the way Adam, Luke, Jay, Morgan have all improved under mopo. Is it impossible for Gazza to improve the same way?

He's only improving if he gets loaned out and learns how to be a goalkeeper which is not going to happen sitting on our bench. He needs to play so he learns how to make decisions and position himself correctly. If they arent going to loan him out then he has to go and a new back up brought in. Boruc has spent most of this year playing not fully fit because how bad the back up goalie is

Gazza is not a bad shot stopper - its his decision making and indecisiveness that makes him a decidely average keeper

People say this about many keepers, including Davis, but most keepers are good shot stoppers, else they wouldn't be keepers. It's the other stuff that makes them good, or even great keepers.

Edit: So, in conclusion, I agree.

Edited by Webby

What's wrong with Boruc? surely we won't have Gazza again next week?

Slight back injury according to saints. Take an injection and get on with it!! Seriously though really hope he's back next week, there is just no confidence in Gazzaniga whatsoever.

If he has to play I would play Wanyama to give more protection to the back four.

Not sure a thread is relevant or constructive regarding Gazzaniga. It will just turn into who can conjure up the best combination of metaphors and witty remarks to slate him.

We ALL agree he isn't very good (generously) but remember he is one of OURS.....for now.

Not sure a thread is relevant or constructive regarding Gazzaniga.

Look who started it and you soon work out how 'relevant or constructive' it is. That said, if he hadn't before the game, someone would've after...

Not sure a thread is relevant or constructive regarding Gazzaniga. It will just turn into who can conjure up the best combination of metaphors and witty remarks to slate him.

We ALL agree he isn't very good (generously) but remember he is one of OURS.....for now.

True, we shouldn't even be having this discussion........

because the bloke shouldn't even be here.

Look who started it and you soon work out how 'relevant or constructive' it is. That said, if he hadn't before the game, someone would've after...

I really do appreciate your desire to defend one of our own having read a number of your posts regarding Paulo but I am starting to think if you are in fact the lad himself?

(After all it'll explain where he was for ninety minutes between 12:45 -14:15)

I really do appreciate your desire to defend one of our own having read a number of your posts regarding Paulo but I am starting to think if you are in fact the lad himself?

(After all it'll explain where he was for ninety minutes between 12:45 -14:15)

If you see all my posts today, you'll see that although I am not as sure as you that he was as clearly at fault for the third as you think, I am in no doubt that he's not good enough for us or the PL, make no mistake.

My point about this thread was that Glasgow started it, and IMO he was clearly setting bait for what might have been about to occur. If he played well, he could say 'I told you so', and if he didn't (and he didn't) it just stirs things up.

If you see all my posts today, you'll see that although I am not as sure as you that he was as clearly at fault for the third as you think, I am in no doubt that he's not good enough for us or the PL, make no mistake.

My point about this thread was that Glasgow started it, and IMO he was clearly setting bait for what might have been about to occur. If he played well, he could say 'I told you so', and if he didn't (and he didn't) it just stirs things up.

So basically your suggesting that Glasgow is a ballbag?

Can we loan him off for 3yrs to the champs (a la Courtois) and and wait until he bulks up and has dealt with the physical side of the game, think his reflexes and ground work is ok and kicking ok as well he just needs hard ugly forwards, defenders in his face week in and out.

Whilst he shows some flashes of ability he really hasnt improved since we bought him. Not good enough and never likely to be, get rid in the summer.

Would agree with that. He showed some ability whilst at Gillingham and as a young keeper, he was worth taking a gamble on. Whether it's a lack of ability or the way we've trained him, he hasn't trained on as we would have hoped and certainly doesn't look likely to reach the potential he showed. He, like Bart before him, probably needs a change of scene to refresh his career and give him a chance to get back on track.

I'm not sure if this is part of a bigger problem. We've had a number of very promising young keepers who have struggled to step up to the Premier League - going right back to Neil Moss, then Alan Blayney, Paul Smith, Bart and now Gazza. I would say Gazza has had more chance than most before him, especially at the start of last season. Do we need to do something different with our young keepers e.g. give them a couple of seasons loan in L1 & then the Championship, or is it just that hard trying to find a young goalkeeper as they tend to develop later than most other positions?

We should sign Stekelenburg from Fulham. Should be available on the cheap and has proven in the past he is a good goalkeeper. Besides that he is quite good with his feet from his time at Ajax.

We need someone to replace Boruc as a first choice keeper, not to provide back up to him. And that's all that Stekelenburg would do. He can't even get into the Fulham side.

We need someone to replace Boruc as a first choice keeper, not to provide back up to him. And that's all that Stekelenburg would do. He can't even get into the Fulham side.

In his time at Ajax Stekelenburg was a very good keeper, however he seems to have stalled in his progress. I Agree with Martini that we should go for him, with a bit of confidence and a solid back 4 he could return to his previous best.

In his time at Ajax Stekelenburg was a very good keeper, however he seems to have stalled in his progress. I Agree with Martini that we should go for him, with a bit of confidence and a solid back 4 he could return to his previous best.

watched juve v lyon the other night and thought the Lyon keeper looked good ( f nose what his name was but he looked young and commanding)

Feel sorry for the lad, but he shouldn't be at this level. He lacks the basic instincts and attributes to be a top level goal keeper and that isn't going to change.

He'd be a decent keeper at L1 or L2 level I imagine, but he's got to go. It's not good enough for a club in our position league wise to have someone of his quality as backup.

This ^ completely.

If you think this, then why say a post of mine about how poor a keeper is is silly?

Seriously, I played a decent standard of football, and am not some fat keyboard warrior who has probably never played the game (although to be fair, I'm not exactly slim). If I played like he has this season, I would have been turfed out of even the Southern League. I've seen outfield players have to go between the sticks and do a better job than him. We had a 2 goal handicap today, against one of the best teams in the league. I feel sorry for the lad, but he is crap.

Defending a (young) SAINTS player, makes me a "skate"? :facepalm:

Only on SWF :lol: :lol:

Yeah, keep the laughing icons going like your other mate. And the face palm, haha, I will give it to you, you can certainly corrupt a forum, that's for sure.

If you think this, then why say a post of mine about how poor a keeper is is silly?

Seriously, I played a decent standard of football, and am not some fat keyboard warrior who has probably never played the game (although to be fair, I'm not exactly slim). If I played like he has this season, I would have been turfed out of even the Southern League. I've seen outfield players have to go between the sticks and do a better job than him. We had a 2 goal handicap today, against one of the best teams in the league. I feel sorry for the lad, but he is crap.

I don't think you can be fairer than that, its not about getting at him, its about him not being good enough.