Luke Shaw - Done Deal

Gemmel

For me its a cracking deal for us. He will be easily replaced , and Matt target will break into the squad this pre mid this season and will be eased in the same as shaw was. And will be our left back next season and be equally as good as shaw if not better. The club knows this.

People who compare him to bale are on a other planet. Don't get me wrong he's a great player but not in the same league as far as I'm concerned.

If you were to pay 30m ? For a full back you would expect an all round class player. Correct me if I'm wrong but the lad hasn't even stuck it in the net yet has he

I'm not saying he's crap, but I honestly think we would pick up a better left back as its clear they have one ligned up. Probably for 10m max. And you will not notice a difference in the teams performance.

Then target will come onto the scene and everyone will be saying what a wise move selling shaw was. Let's face it they couldn't possibly keep them both and they believe target to be a far better option.

I find the whole situation exciting rather than depressing.

Good luck luke but we move onwards and upwards .

Proof that you can buy better players at not stupid prices. You just need the resources in scouting players that we have and utd do not.

: Zaba = £6m

Kompany = £6.5m

Nastasic = £12m

Kolarov = £17m

£41.5m

Jones = £17m

Smalling = £10m

Evans = £0

Shaw = £34m

£61m

take your pick..

Or to save a bit of face on our guff and bravado..not to mention a bit of an excursion to Brazil, mind you with England's showing they might as well have gone on a day trip to Bognor, come back with a stick of rock instead of empty handed.

...and of course we are in a difficult financial situation ;)

MLT: If our leadership think Targett is a better option than Shaw then they are barking mad. As are you if you believe that.

If Bale is on another planet to Shaw then Shaw is in another universe compared to Targett.

The one thing Targett doesnt need is people comparing him to Shaw, a 50 PL app phenomenon aged 18, who is about to become the world's most expensive teenager.

Targett is nowhere near that level, which is of course nothing to be ashamed about.

It's a measure of how far we've come where 10 million is just the first phase of spending, and not necessarily the biggest single amount we will spend on a transfer.

....And that is really all i can say without getting cut off. Else wise, i'm not likely to have enough info for a smiley!

It's a measure of how far we've come where 10 million is just the first phase of spending, and not necessarily the biggest single amount we will spend on a transfer.

....And that is really all i can say without getting cut off. Else wise, i'm not likely to have enough info for a smiley!

Excellent - good news and thanks Guan.

Interesting and intriguing snippet.

Ohh. Position?

You dirty tease!

Hmm....

I do find it interesting how fans suddenly see players as terrible as soon as they leave. Luke suddenly has no right foot, isn't good enough to start for the team that finished 7th last season, and hasn't even scored a goal yet (probably because he's a defender?); Adam Lallana hasn't even gone yet and he's gone from being world class and able to stroll into nearly any team on the planet to easily replaced, nothing special, a one speed player who can't shoot.

Personally I wish Luke Shaw the best of luck, let's hope he doesn't become an expensive bench warmer and can go on to fill his potential - he has an important role for England squads of the future. Now he's leaving, this gives me more hope of holding on to Lovren, Schneiderlin and maybe Lallana too.

Targett will be our left back next season and be equally as good as shaw if not better. The club knows this.

They believe target to be a far better option.

I find that all very hard to believe!

Targett is 61 days younger than Shaw, they are effectively the same age.

Yet...

- Shaw has 60 appearances for a Premier League side, 3 senior England caps, a World Cup under his belt and a £30m+ price tag on his head.

- Targett has yet to play a professional game.

I'm not writing Targett off as he does indeed have potential, but Shaw is clearly a long way ahead and the age gap is so tiny it is irrelevant.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Yet...

- Shaw has 60 appearances for a Premier League side, 2 senior England caps, a World Cup under his belt and a £30m+ price tag on his head.

I'm not writing Targett off as he does indeed have potential, but Shaw is clearly a long way ahead and the age gap is so tiny it is irrelevant.

Agree 100%. Targett in danger of being hyped to levels he has little chance of reaching.

If he were that good surely given our young player culture he might have got a cup start last season.

Yet...

- Shaw has 60 appearances for a Premier League side, 3 senior England caps, a World Cup under his belt and a £30m+ price tag on his head.

Having seen abit of Targett the main difference is Shaw's physical development. He is a kid in a mans body much like Rooney when he broke through.

We supposedly have this amazing academy that produces amazing players. Who is to say that someone else isn't in the pipeline who might be even better? The one thing that always amazed me about Shaw, was his physique. For an 18yo he was very well developed - hope he hasn't grown too quickly at too young an age.

MLT: If our leadership think Targett is a better option than Shaw then they are barking mad. As are you if you believe that.

If Bale is on another planet to Shaw then Shaw is in another universe compared to Targett.

The one thing Targett doesnt need is people comparing him to Shaw, a 50 PL app phenomenon aged 18, who is about to become the world's most expensive teenager.

Targett is nowhere near that level, which is of course nothing to be ashamed about.

Hey Jose . I was the first person to tell everyone a week before shaw got his debut that he would be playing and he would be class

I was absolutely slaughtered for this saying he wasn't good enough. To young, he would start , I was mad ,

A few said if your good enough your old enough. The rest slated me for suggesting such things.

Sure enough he was picked at everyone's surprise, had his debut and was class

2 years on sold 30 million

Don't tell me I know nothing boy

Dig out the post and read if for your self if your that worried.

And you can dig this one out in 2 years time when someone wants him for 30 million

I wish shaw the best . But I still think it's the wrong move at this stage . He should stay for a couple more season . A&c and tw went to soon . They both have shown glimpses of being good players but have still to show that they are consistent world class players injuries aside .

Time will tell if he gets to be good as bale

Clyne can play left back and that will allow Calum to develop .

I hope we didn't have to pay shaw any bonuses and he asked and forced a transfer .

How much does football agent woy get out of the transfer ?

Yet...

Yea just like when I told everyone that shaw was going to play the weekend and fox would be dropped

The response was fox is by far a better option than the boy shaw

Idiots

Very disappointing if true. Not even a particularly good fee IMO. Bet he'll end up going for an absolute fortune in a couple of years if his attacking play improves. Really wanted us to keep hold of academy players for a couple of years rather than selling them the instant they have a good season.

Ok i know someone at work who is really good friends with Matt Targett and has grown up playing football with him and even he says that Matt isnt ready for the step up. The only good news that Matt is a saints fans through and through so if he does become good he'll probably be more loyal.

Ok i know someone at work who is really good friends with Matt Targett and has grown up playing football with him and even he says that Matt isnt ready for the step up. The only good news that Matt is a saints fans through and through so if he does become good he'll probably be more loyal.

MLT knows more than Targett does pal. He is a better option than Shaw apparently. The same Shaw who has been wanted by the top sides since 14, played 60 pl games and two full Intl caps still aged 18.

If he is better then Targett on course to be the best LB ever.

Very disappointing if true. Not even a particularly good fee IMO. Bet he'll end up going for an absolute fortune in a couple of years if his attacking play improves. Really wanted us to keep hold of academy players for a couple of years rather than selling them the instant they have a good season.

You are an Aldi own brand version of alpine.

Possibly the most expensive fullback ever (level with Cole?) is not a good fee?

It is worth remembering that it is likely to be the highest fee ever paid for a teenager. If that isn't a good fee then I am not sure whet is.

MLT knows more than Targett does pal. He is a better option than Shaw apparently. The same Shaw who has been wanted by the top sides since 14, played 60 pl games and two full Intl caps still aged 18.

If he is better then Targett on course to be the best LB ever.

Haha did I say that? I thought I said we would buy a quality replacement and target would break into the squad mid season (squad) and be competing for the position the following season?

Funny how people twist things isn't it! Just read it, its only above.

Of course right now shaw is a better option than target you fool.

Target would not have been brought in whole shaw was in the squad.

When the new lb is brought in he will be brought into the frane then to push him along.

Sad news, although that cash will get good replacements abroad if early enough to bed in as a team for next season rather than a collection of individuals. Shame. He was the best of the crop.

Haha did I say that? I thought I said we would buy a quality replacement and target would break into the squad mid season (squad) and be competing for the position the following season?

Funny how people twist things isn't it! Just read it, its only above.

Of course right now shaw is a better option than target you fool.

Target would not have been brought in whole shaw was in the squad.

When the new lb is brought in he will be brought into the frane then to push him along.

I don't believe that the club believe targett to be a far better option.

Do you think playing for England at that age is no achievement ? And signs of a player who hasn't got it?

Do you think utd , Chelsea, arsenal are all mad for tracking his progress

Do you consider it also strange that cropper will break into the firsts this season from the u21 without making a fist team appearance already? Even though he is one of the usa best up and coming prospects?

Shaws gane went through the roof when playing with better players as will targets

Do you think playing for England at that age is no achievement ? And signs of a player who hasn't got it?

Do you think utd , Chelsea, arsenal are all mad for tracking his progress

Do you consider it also strange that cropper will break into the firsts this season from the u21 without making a fist team appearance already? Even though he is one of the usa best up and coming prospects?

Shaws gane went through the roof when playing with better players as will targets

It's a bit of a stretch to say that every player who starts playing with better players will see their own game go through the roof. That doesn't follow with every player at all. It did with Shaw, but no guarantee it will happen with targett or others.

Agree 100%. Targett in danger of being hyped to levels he has little chance of reaching.

If he were that good surely given our young player culture he might have got a cup start last season.

I'm assuming you've never seen Targett play or know nothing of his development or where the club see him? Yet you're making the same sweeping generalisations people made about Shaw when he started getting in the first XI squads. Trawl back to SWF posts back then and you'll read similar comments to yours now

From what I've read previously he is technically very good, good defensively but isn't big enough yet. Poch thought enough of him last year to have him in with the first team regularly

He will still be better than Danny Fox :-)

It is worth remembering that it is likely to be the highest fee ever paid for a teenager. If that isn't a good fee then I am not sure whet is.

If spends the next 15 years as England's first choice left back as I expect then the fee will be a bargain. He's fantastic defensively and has so much potential as an attacking force. Given the vast swathes of money now in prem anything other than record fee would be sign of incompetence.

Great deal if we get 25mill or more upfront, allows us to buy 2 top players 10 mill each and cover there wages for the 1st season, add that with the rumour of another 30 mill promised to RK, we should be able to buy 4 good players after losing 2 and able to turn down bids for other players.

Yeah we want over the odds money, reason being we do NOT need to sell.

Target supports Liverpool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If spends the next 15 years as England's first choice left back as I expect then the fee will be a bargain. He's fantastic defensively and has so much potential as an attacking force. Given the vast swathes of money now in prem anything other than record fee would be sign of incompetence.

If this, if that. You can't plan 15 years ahead. He might have an injury next week and never play again.