Luke Shaw - Done Deal

Gemmel

If it's £30 million or over, that's great business and best of luck to him.

Also astonished as the stupidity/arrogance of all the Utd hacks criticising us for the fee. If £34mil is what we're willing to sell for, and what Utd are willing to pay, then that's the f******* market price. Do they really expect smaller teams to accept a loss so that English players remain "affordable"?

Have you got a link? I'd like to read / laugh at their bitterness.

It's not immature at all. Just part of football banter. Personally I hope that the grass is greener for him, but sadly that isn't always the case. My biggest concern for him is staying fit, and I hope his body can maintain things. Also hope that the money doesn't ruin him. Apart from that, I hope that we sign a decent replacement, one who can use both feet.

Really, the dude has been perfect for us and england, didn't pimp himself out at all and has been dignified through out.

Apart from reportedly saying he wanted to leave at the final whistle on 11th May. A little bit too hasty - but then again it might not be true.

The number of clubs in the whole world that would turn down a £30m offer for an 18 year old left-back must be about 5. Good business, let's spend the money where we really need it.

Actually, apart from Real, Barca and Bayern, I am not sure there would be any others. Even ManC. ManU, PSG, Chelsea etc would cash in. But it is a bit rhetorical as 18yo players don't get the chance at those clubs.

Actually, apart from Real, Barca and Bayern, I am not sure there would be any others. Even ManC. ManU, PSG, Chelsea etc would cash in. But it is a bit rhetorical as 18yo players don't get the chance at those clubs.

Manchester united would cash in on an 18 year old left back at the price, but because he's not theirs they'll spend the same amount on one?

grass is always greener?

Why did we not sort out a replacement for him before selling him? We will be quoted stupid prices for everyone we go in for now until August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you know we haven't? I would imagine a deal has been done elsewhere and is waiting to be confirmed once the Shaw deal has gone through.

While disappointed, I wish him the best of luck. Just a reminder for those that might want to slag the lad off, he could have refused to sign a pro contract and gone to Chelsea, Man U, etc for pennies a year or so ago but he did not.

Will be nigh on impossible to replace: but also gives a chance to the likes of Taggert to see if they can make the step up.

Man U have themselves a helluva player who will only improve...still has no right foot though.

While disappointed, I wish him the best of luck. Just a reminder for those that might want to slag the lad off, he could have refused to sign a pro contract and gone to Chelsea, Man U, etc for pennies a year or so ago but he did not.

Will be nigh on impossible to replace: but also gives a chance to the likes of Taggert to see if they can make the step up.

Man U have themselves a helluva player who will only improve...still has no right foot though.

This is a good post.

To the people doubting the deal, there's having the ambition to keep hold of your players, but then there's just being offered absolutely crazy money for a teenager. Shaw is a fantastic player and I'm certain the money will work out to be worth it in the future for United, but as a lump sum that we'll be getting right now, it's a deal that'll push us on financially and hopefully will lead to us filling out our squad with better players. Great deal for all three of the subjects involved; us, them and the player.

Really good point - we would have been lucky to have got £2 million at the time.

One of the senior players at the awards dinner said he wouldn't be surprised to see Shaw sold if someone offered £30m+. Our campaign last year was let down by the depth of our squad and not the quality of our first XI.

If letting Luke go means we can resist big money offers for Lallana, Lovren and Morgan and we can plough back in the proceeds get a new LB,CB and couple of strikers I think it will be 1 step back 2 steps forward.

Really good point - we would have been lucky to have got £2 million at the time.

I actually think that the disappointment is not that. They were happy to sign their contracts, have one good season, and then all want to **** off at the first opportunity. While the money side of things is welcome (and too much, but given his age maybe OK), and while I don't blame him for wanting to leave, it does reinforce the empty platitudes that football players deliver.

Edited by angelman

Shame to see him go but we can't turn down a great deal like that. Would have been nice if Hernandez had been part of the deal. Him and Pelle up front would have been a great combo IMHO.

I think Shaw has conducted himself properly throughout the process too with no sign of toys being thrown around. I wish him well and good luck to him.

Edited by TwoPints

Also, whilst we're right to accept ~£30mil it's worth noting that from Utd's perspective this is good business too. He's easily got 10 years at the top level ahead of him (or resale value), and £3mil a year for a world-class left back is a snip. One way to think about it was whether it would have been worth paying £30mil for Ashley Cole at 18 (I'm convinced Luke is of this standard). To me that's a no-brainer.

An incredibly immature and bitter comment. Why is it always the players at fault here?? He's going to earn a fortune as an 18 year old kid, he's given us a decent innings and will pocket us a decent fee. I hold nothing against him and wish him all the best, comments like yours are just moronic.

Really? I personally would like to see us build a team of academy players it gets pretty depressing to keep churning out players like Walcott, Oxo and Bale and then watch them fly out the door after a season or so (which is not what I call a decent innings) to one of the big boys. Still that's modern football I guess and I can live with it if the money is put to good use.

Also, whilst we're right to accept ~£30mil it's worth noting that from Utd's perspective this is good business too. He's easily got 10 years at the top level ahead of him (or resale value), and £3mil a year for a world-class left back is a snip. One way to think about it was whether it would have been worth paying £30mil for Ashley Cole at 18 (I'm convinced Luke is of this standard). To me that's a no-brainer.

It's similar to when they bought Rio from Leeds all those years back, at that time it was a truly WTF fee (but is nothing these days, obviously!) - but he was seen as a long-term investment, which he proved to be.

I do think once he goes it will be interesting to see the stance on Lallana, Lovren and Schneiderlin.

It could be viewed as start of the firesale having lost the Manager and two of our best players, or hopefully the Board can somehow persuade those others to stay.

Some prompt and impressive signings may be the first thing to persuade them some ambition remains.

LB - who are the leading contenders ?

Rodriguez (Wolfsburg) - unlikely

Robertson ( Dundee Utd ) ?

Timothee Kolo ?

A.N Other ?

I'm sure Koeman will be looking at DVD's of potential players (having smuggled the dvd player into his nunnery) as we type.

Edited by Badger

Some prompt and impressive signings may be the first thing to persuade them some ambition remains.

LB - who are the leading contenders ?

Rodriguez (Wolfsburg) - unlikely

Robertson ( Dundee Utd ) ?

Timothee Kolo ?

A.N Other ?

I'm sure Koeman will be looking at DVD's of potential players (having smuggled the player into his nunnery) as we type.

Rose / Alonso?

Or let's go out there and get Danny Blind!