Luke Shaw - Done Deal

Gemmel

Good luck to the lad, I hope we stuck to our guns & got a great deal. I just can't see him getting to play in the really big games, especially when it gets to the business end of the season & they're fighting for the title. You just know that Evra will start in those games.

Good luck to the lad, I hope we stuck to our guns & got a great deal. I just can't see him getting to play in the really big games, especially when it gets to the business end of the season & they're fighting for the title. You just know that Evra will start in those games.

30m for a back up does seem a bit extravagant. Presumably Evra has said one more season and that's it...

Bingo........! I told you all Les Reed was full of it. One whole day that took. Adam next and then we purchase 3 or 4 Dutch league maybes with a considerable net profit on dealings. Band of brothers no more. .......... As we become Newcastle with clogs on. Might work, probably won't.

Will we ever get to keep hold of any of the good players who come through our academy? It seems clear that the answer will always be No! We've essentially paid £30 million on the training ground to help produce talent for the lazy "big clubs" who can't produce their own. So essentially, Luke's transfer, when it is confirmed, will have paid for the training ground. So Yeah it will bring money into the club but the team itself will never truly progress on the pitch as it was intended. The investment in training ground was made with the intention of one day developing a first team of talented players that had played together for years. That dream as it currently stands is unachievable. We are currently funded by a billionaire and have just had our best season in the league for years, yet we still can't convince players to stick around. Heads will always be turned by the big team willing to offer vast amounts on wages and who can promise the glory of trophies. No one seems to play purely for the love of the game anymore which is probably why the England team are so $hite!

Great defender.... in his day. I think we'd rather go for his nipper Daley, he's looked quite good for the Dutch in this WC.

Wonder if mancs signing Shaw will curb Van Gaal's interest in Blind ?

Probably not, as they'll just stockpile players.

Do you read many papers? Could you recommend anything?

So far I've found these names from the papers:

Graziano Pelle and Twente winger Dusan Tadic, and Timothee Kolodziejczak

I think we could get them all for £30m with change for a bag of chips in the way home.

So far I've found these names from the papers:

Graziano Pelle and Twente winger Dusan Tadic, and Timothee Kolodziejczak

I think we could get them all for £30m with change for a bag of chips in the way home.

Tadic would be an epic addition.

Here's one link to the story and the website has 'oranje' in the title so it's got to be authentic.

http:// http://www.football-oranje.com/southampton-looking-to-raid-feyenoord-and-twente/

Good article, backed up by the final sentence -

One player who will definitely not join Koeman at Southampton is Lex Immers, with the midfielder signing a new deal at Feyenoord yesterday.

phew.

Very disappointing regardless of the fee in my opinion. Yes he will earn a huge amount of money and play alongside some top players - but nothing can soften the blow of the harsh confirmation (once again) that Saints are a nothing more than a provincial little selling club, acting as a feeder to the so called 'big clubs'. I hate the fact that we're not able to keep hold of our young stars and have to revert to buying in lesser players. And no amount of money in the Saints coffers will detract from that feeling of disappointment - even if all of it is re-invested in new blood.

The whole affair typifies to me why English football is in the sorry state it's in and will continue to be, all the while clubs like Saints who are on the brink of breaking the mould, have their squads broken apart by the foreign money-men controlling the Prem. I've contributed to Shaw's development - enjoyed his performances - nothing more to say really.

One player who will definitely not join Koeman at Southampton is Lex Immers, with the midfielder signing a new deal at Feyenoord yesterday.

phew.

Yep, and after a quick search on google: http://www.fr12.nl/nieuws/26605-immers-tekent-nieuw-contract-beloning-voor-mijn-prestaties.html

"After Lex is ready for a new season at Feyenoord. That said, the attacking midfielder (28) Tuesday at De Kuip, where he and his teammates some physical tests and then underwent one of the Business Units of the stadium his new contract signed until mid-2017. "I had a very nice holiday and after a tough season sufficiently caught my rest. From everything I can start again, "said After all, who eagerly looking forward to the first training at De Kuip."

Very disappointing regardless of the fee in my opinion. Yes he will earn a huge amount of money and play alongside some top players - but nothing can soften the blow of the harsh confirmation (once again) that Saints are a nothing more than a provincial little selling club, acting as a feeder to the so called 'big clubs'. I hate the fact that we're not able to keep hold of our young stars and have to revert to buying in lesser players. And no amount of money in the Saints coffers will detract from that feeling of disappointment - even if all of it is re-invested in new blood.

The whole affair typifies to me why English football is in the sorry state it's in and will continue to be, all the while clubs like Saints who are on the brink of breaking the mould, have their squads broken apart by the foreign money-men controlling the Prem. I've contributed to Shaw's development - enjoyed his performances - nothing more to say really.

I read an article the other day (have been trying to dig it out, but can't find it now - could have just been a random blog) - but they were saying that Saints, by pricing Shaw and Lallana out of moves, are the club which is ruining English football. A true WTF moment.

The logic behind it was that we're stopping these future England players get the exposure of CL and top flight title challenges which will benefit them in world cups, but how that equates to us 'being the problem with English football'' doesn't quite make sense to me. I think the FA should thank their lucky stars we are bloody well here.

£30m is a good price.

Its a mutually beneficial deal and I'm happy.

2 years ago Luke Shaw didn't even frickin' EXIST. Now we're £30m richer and have every reason to believe there are plenty more starts growing in our academy. Long may it continue.

I see your point but disagree. If we can offload Shaw and build a bigger better squad that gets us 7th next year, the same the following years etc we MAY eventually, by small steps, get ourselves into Europe at which point we may be able to keep hold of some of our players and continue to build from there... or maybe I'm living in my own little fantasy world. Either way I'll enjoy the ride.

Since the appointment of Koeman, I've been much more positive about the future. Hopefully there'll be exciting times ahead.

£30m is a good price.

Its a mutually beneficial deal and I'm happy.

2 years ago Luke Shaw didn't even frickin' EXIST. Now we're £30m richer and have every reason to believe there are plenty more starts growing in our academy. Long may it continue.

I remember arriving to the Birmingham home game in the NPC a couple of seasons back, utter ****ing down, and saw Shaw wandering up Marine Parade with a few other academy lads. Completely ignored and blended in with the rest of the fans wandering in, quite a rise in 2 years you have to say.

phew.

again?

****ing hell, he only signed a new contract in may

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11916/9322649/eredivise-feyenoord-midfielder-lex-immers-signs-a-new-contract

Will we ever get to keep hold of any of the good players who come through our academy? It seems clear that the answer will always be No! We've essentially paid £30 million on the training ground to help produce talent for the lazy "big clubs" who can't produce their own. So essentially, Luke's transfer, when it is confirmed, will have paid for the training ground. So Yeah it will bring money into the club but the team itself will never truly progress on the pitch as it was intended. The investment in training ground was made with the intention of one day developing a first team of talented players that had played together for years. That dream as it currently stands is unachievable. We are currently funded by a billionaire and have just had our best season in the league for years, yet we still can't convince players to stick around. Heads will always be turned by the big team willing to offer vast amounts on wages and who can promise the glory of trophies. No one seems to play purely for the love of the game anymore which is probably why the England team are so $hite!

This for me. We should have told Man U to get ****ed.

This is really up there with Marc Jackson's claim to discovering Lallana.

:mcinnes:

Don't be a complete numpty - if you can't interpret my comment in that we've ALL contributed to Shaw's development, then you really are a sad individual. To be a moderator and try to score petty points pretty much sums up the level of intellect shown on this forum now. Incredible.

While disappointed, I wish him the best of luck. Just a reminder for those that might want to slag the lad off, he could have refused to sign a pro contract and gone to Chelsea, Man U, etc for pennies a year or so ago but he did not.

Will be nigh on impossible to replace: but also gives a chance to the likes of Taggert to see if they can make the step up.

Man U have themselves a helluva player who will only improve...still has no right foot though.

This needs to be bumped every now and then to add a bit of perspective to the discussion. IMO.

I see your point but disagree. If we can offload Shaw and build a bigger better squad that gets us 7th next year, the same the following years etc we MAY eventually, by small steps, get ourselves into Europe at which point we may be able to keep hold of some of our players and continue to build from there... or maybe I'm living in my own little fantasy world. Either way I'll enjoy the ride.

Since the appointment of Koeman, I've been much more positive about the future. Hopefully there'll be exciting times ahead.

I'm just one of those people who enjoy watching our best Academy players flourish - it was part of the 'dream'...the promise that we didn't have to sell our best players. Having £34m to spend on lesser players will not be as satisfying to be honest, although admittedly if Koeman does the business and delivers us to 7th or higher I guess I'll be feeling a bit better about it all!

Don't be a complete numpty - if you can't interpret my comment in that we've ALL contributed to Shaw's development, then you really are a sad individual. To be a moderator and try to score petty points pretty much sums up the level of intellect shown on this forum now. Incredible.

How have you (or indeed me in your collective revision) contributed to Shaw's development? I am genuinely intrigued how I should have interpreted it.

PS it really isn't about scoring points, more about picking you up on an outlandish statement.

NB you are the one calling me a numoty and a sad individual.

This deal was agreed before he went to the WC. He spoke to Chelsea first, then Utd and opted for Utd. I did mention this in a previous thread but was told that I was full of ****. Seeing as people seem to be obsessed with naming sources I'll reveal mine. A friend of mine worked with Huw Jennings at Fulham and Malcolm Elias at Fulham and Liverpool. Both had spoken to LS and told my friend that Shaw had agreed to join Utd upon his return from WC duty. The board saying that no players would leave before the appointment of a new manager was only true because of timing. They'd accepted the offer for Shaw prior to Koeman being appointed but obviously couldn't admit it as the fans would've gone mental about players being sold whilst the club was managerless. Koeman knew LS wasn't going to be an option when he took the job.

Agreed. He ain't going anywhere as a player. This move will only slow his development as he'll spend most of next season on the bench.

He clearly won't. Man Utd aren't going to spend £30m on a squad player. He will rotate with Evra and will probably play 30 odd matches next year.

My thoughts exactly. Wish him well, conducted himself with restrain but ultimately it's reconfirmation that money has ruined any pretence of competition at the top.

This deal was agreed before he went to the WC. He spoke to Chelsea first, then Utd and opted for Utd. I did mention this in a previous thread but was told that I was full of ****. Seeing as people seem to be obsessed with naming sources I'll reveal mine. A friend of mine worked with Huw Jennings at Fulham and Malcolm Elias at Fulham and Liverpool. Both had spoken to LS and told my friend that Shaw had agreed to join Utd upon his return from WC duty. The board saying that no players would leave before the appointment of a new manager was only true because of timing. They'd accepted the offer for Shaw prior to Koeman being appointed but obviously couldn't admit it as the fans would've gone mental about players being sold whilst the club was managerless. Koeman knew LS wasn't going to be an option when he took the job.

Sounds feasible.

How have you (or indeed me in your collective revision) contributed to Shaw's development? I am genuinely intrigued how I should have interpreted it.

PS it really isn't about scoring points, more about picking you up on an outlandish statement.

NB you are the one calling me a numoty and a sad individual.

Re-read what you wrote - do you honestly think that's befitting of a moderator? If you're genuinely intrigued by my comment, do you not think a more polite approach might be suitable. After all, what I said was hardly inflammatory to anyone. So - is it really difficult to understand that Shaw's development has in part been funded by the supporters who purchase match tickets? That's not outlandish...it's plain simple fact.

Re-read what you wrote - do you honestly think that's befitting of a moderator? If you're genuinely intrigued by my comment, do you not think a more polite approach might be suitable. After all, what I said was hardly inflammatory to anyone. So - is it really difficult to understand that Shaw's development has in part been funded by the supporters who purchase match tickets? That's not outlandish...it's plain simple fact.

Not difficult at all, but the fans' contribution is so minute that it hardly warrants mention. Using it in your original post to illustrate a point is patently absurd.

He clearly won't. Man Utd aren't going to spend £30m on a squad player. He will rotate with Evra and will probably play 30 odd matches next year.

They are paying 30m for the fact that he will BECOME their first choice LB for many years to come.

If he were to 'rotate' with Evra next season he wouldn't get anywhere near 30 games. They are not in any European competition. So it's just league and domestic cup matches.

If he were being signed to be the immediate first choice LB why sign Evra up for another year?

Personally, I will be amazed if Evra doesn't start Utd's first match next season - unless he is injured.