Players we MUST keep

Legod Second Coming

I'm pretty sure we'll survive with Jay up top alongside a new forward or two.

I'm pretty sure we'll be ok without Lallana.

I'm not that concerned about Shaw, although I would hate to lose him so soon,

But - we must retain the spine of our team. The guys who give us the defensive strength to play around:

Dejan, Victor, Artur and Morgan.

Losing any of them, in my view, would be suicidal.

There are plenty of options around in this league and elsewhere around the flanks and up front.

Boruc

Lovren Fonte

Cork Morgan Vic Davis

J-Rod

With all of the nippers, and maybe bringing in a couple, the spine of that team would probably keep us up. Lose 2 or more of that lot and I think we'll struggle. Even then I think it'll be tough. Morale and team spirit played a massive part this season IMO, and that'll be shot to sh*t.

Lambert would have been my biggest concern, unrivaled talisman and club legend. For me, was the heart and soul of our teem, to the point that even on his slower days I always felt more confident with him in the pitch.

Having said that, our "must keeps" in my opinion are Morgan, one of the best players in his position that I can think of, total class. Wanyama, look so much stronger with him on the pitch. Rodriguez - 17 goals speaks for itself. Lovren and Fonte, for me at the minute it's not one or the other, we need both on the pitch, great partnership and solid defensively. Boruc. Lovable nutter who can win us points on his own. Davies, great work rate and underrated technically. Clyne or Chambers, both amazing right backs and age on their side.

Preferably though, we'll keep Lallana, Shaw and fingers double and triple crossed - Saint Rickie Lambert.

We 100% need to keep Lallana.

1. He's our captain

2. With Lambert leaving, team morale will be shocking. Keeping Lallana could save that.

3. He is the one that our academy boys can up look to.

4. Attracting any sort of manager or decent player will be harder when you've sold your best player.

5. We won't be able to replace him for the money we'll receive.

6. It will reinforce to our youngsters that SFC is only a stepping stone. Keep him and we may keep others.

I'm pretty sure he's off though.

If we end up selling Lallana, Shaw, Lambert, Lovren and Morgan, we're doomed.

We must - it's the one test I'm giving Reed - keep AL or he has failed. With the rest going we don't need to sell him and we mustn't

Exactly. We keep hearing "we don't NEED to sell". Well if that's true and Shaw goes, there's certainly no excuse to cash in on anyone else.

If we sell Shaw, we can get in a decent replacement and have plenty of change left over. Sell Lallana and we're left with a huge gap to fill.

This is what we were told by our chairman...Asked about transfers.. " be very clear, we are in control, all top players under long contracts, any transfers will only be under our terms, we will involve manager which is why been able to not to agree ant transfers, we are in control, anyone saying different doesn't understand situation here, we are in strong position, we do not need to sell anyone, we have exciting list of players we are tracking for new manager, transfers in either direction only if make club better, what is best for saints not the player as club bigger than anyone nor best for another club. The ambition and plan remains progressive from 8th and into Europe..."

We need to show that we can keep young players such as Chambers, JWP.

I would like him to stay but can see some sense in selling Shaw. If new manager thinks replacing him with a top young international LB with change to spend £20m elsewhere in the team I can understand.

If we don't need to sell others...don't! If we are ending up with less than £20m for saints for the sale of Lallana why do it? We would struggle to get a player close to his quality to come. But would also lose our link to league one, our captain, our England star - surely no economic or football reason to sell him. I know he want champions league but think should be told "tough signed 5 year contract less than year ago and we are going to keep you to it".

All players are replaceable, if we sign well. If you asked me 12 months ago I would have said Cork - now I'm disappointed if he is in the team (not criticism of him just we signed better).

If we keep Lovren, Fonte, Clyne, Chambers, Wanyama, Schneiderlin and JayRod we have the basis of good team.

Can't afford to lose both Shaw and Lallana now imo. This can't become a fire sale if the club has any serious ambitions towards staying in the league, let along finishing in the top half again. However i have little faith in them not to flog them both, then flog Lovren, Wanyama & Morgan too.

We survived LeTissier retiring we will survive this no player is bigger than the club.

Hate people saying things like this. Obviously we'll always exist in some form, that's not really the point.

Don't really agree with the assertion that Shaw won't be missed as much as others because he is a full-back. Probably just as important a position as anywhere else, especially with the way we play. I doubt we'll be able to find anyone half as good to replace him.

Has to be Lallana for me. Apart from being captain and star he is the one player in the team that offers something different. He puts bums on seats and generates interest from outside and is a match winner. A lot of the other players mentioned in the 'spine' of the team are good players but there are a lot of similar players available in our price range if one or more would leave. Sell Adam and you could not possibly buy another player of the same type for the amount we could spend. That is why we should not let him go unless it is for some astronomically bonkers amount of money. Stupid to fanny around with offers in the 20-30 million range. Tell anyone interested straight up that they would have to offer a ridiculous amount to even have it considered, oh and he has a new 5 year contract anyway. Highly doubt that will happen.

The exact same one's we're in the process of selling.

Looks like we'll have about £90m to spend. Let's hope we spent it more wisely than Spurs or we're nailed on for relegation!

The board are never in a million years going to let the new manager have 90 million to spend. they will take off the outstanding transfers (27 million) and what the family have put in (30 million) and the cost of the training ground.

The new manager is likely to have a pot of less than 20 million if all those players are sold.

The exact same one's we're in the process of selling.

Looks like we'll have about £90m to spend. Let's hope we spent it more wisely than Spurs or we're nailed on for relegation!

See, I don't get this. Were Spurs relegated? I think they finished higher than us right?

I don't think the impetus to sell is coming from the Board. It's the players that WANT to leave. The glue is coming loose and has been for some time now...many months. The Board have a significant problem convincing the squad that the next project is worthwhile.

I don't think the impetus to sell is coming from the Board. It's the players that WANT to leave. The glue is coming loose and has been for some time now...many months. The Board have a significant problem convincing the squad that the next project is worthwhile.

The impetus for selling might not be coming directly from the board, but there is no doubt they have helped to create this uncertainty amongst players, and a feeling that everyone wants to get the f**k out.

When Cortese left if they'd have come in and said "no worries guys, everything still bang on track. This is still Southampton. We've still got Poch, Lallana, Lambo, Morgan, Shaw, stick with us on this incredible journey and we'll all be superstars together mwa ha ha ha" or something similar without perhaps the sinister laugh (and a couple of new juicy contracts), then why wouldn't everybody have wanted to stay?

The appear, appear, to have royally ****ed up the incredible group spirit we've had here since the last 5 years, in the space of a few short months. That takes some doing.

Edited by niceandfriendly

I'm pretty sure we'll survive with Jay up top alongside a new forward or two.

I'm pretty sure we'll be ok without Lallana.

I'm not that concerned about Shaw, although I would hate to lose him so soon,

But - we must retain the spine of our team. The guys who give us the defensive strength to play around:

Dejan, Victor, Artur and Morgan.

Losing any of them, in my view, would be suicidal.

There are plenty of options around in this league and elsewhere around the flanks and up front.

Well, as Ralph Krueger rightly said " We are in control of all transfers "

Meaning of course that they will sell anybody for the right price, but they will "control" the sale

So he hasn't lied. He just hasn't given ONE "hands off " warning like all other Clubs do

But as long as he brings the Southampton Vikings back, all is not lost

And convince the Supporters. Does anybody know what the "next project " is ??

Boruc is a liability, should've got Fabianski whilst we had the chance....maybe Vorm instead?

Would rather keep Morgan than Victor too.

We still have a very good team provided some players stay:

Boruc

Clyne-Lovren-fonte-chambers

Davis-Cork-Wanyama-JWP

JRod-Gallagher

2-3 quality additions with £50m (potentially) to spend will still see us finish mid-table although I expect to see further departures at some stage over the next year of;

Lovren-chambers-Morgan-victor-Ramirez-JRod-Osvaldo.

Which would yield another £60-100m, hoping that 2/3'rds will be given to the new manager to fully rebuild and reshape our team over the next two years.

Here's hoping that we already have enough quality in the squad to cement our BPL place for the next 3 years without it affecting our relegation chances.

I also believe that Pochettino was slightly acidic to the players about the board and planted many seeds of doubt into their minds. I've never seen so many players come out and question a board or their paymasters.

And of course you have Cortese to thank for that.

I'd still rather have the imp back though.