New Manager and want away players

doddisalegend

So how do people think the appointment of RK will effect the want away players? I noticed a lot of posters in the new manager thread seem to be pinning their hopes on players wanting to stay now RK is here. My main concern is that it seems (from media reports and ITKs admittedly) that some players had made their minds up about leaving before the season had even ended and poch had even left. Even though we have installed a real "name" manager I'm still not sure that's enough to compete with these players desires to play for the big clubs (with all the benefits that brings). On the other hand I think we will have a better chance of attracting decent replacement players with RK in charge.

I just hope if the likes of Adam and Luke still want to move on that RK doesn't bear the brunt of the bad feeling that will no doubt come from those players moving on.

Thoughts?

If anyone was in any doubt as to the ambition and substance of the new board then those fears have been firmly dispatched with the aplomb of sachin tendaulker dispatching a wayward off spin over square leg to the boundary and into the joyous crowd in the stands. This appointment shows strong and ambitious leadership. An appointment based on substance and openness rather than vague promises and pipe dreams.

Its starting to become apparent who was the driving force behind the the Phoenix like rise of this fantastic football club. whilst they worked tirelessly in the background and others took the plaudits, it seems that now the self promoting ones have left their good work is continuing, even accelerating to a new level without the hinderance that was holding them back.

I fully expect the want away players to review their position, however perhaps our ambitious and driven board might decide that too much water has gone under the bridge, too many bridges have been burnt and they no longer deserve to be part of the Southampton way. They may be seen as self serving and ego driven like certain other former employes who were ruthlessly disposed of. They too will be moved on on our terms, with the best interests of the club at heart and to bring in players that will not disrupt and deserving of being part of the future of this fantastic football club as we set sail on our new mission. The millstones of the past tossed into the sea and our onward journey to continue unabated.

Edited by Turkish

If anyone was in any doubt as to the ambition and substance of the new board then those fears have been firmly dispatched with the aplomb of sachin tendaulker dispatching a wayward off spin over square leg to the boundary and into the joyous crowd in the stands. This appointment shows strong and ambitious leadership. An appointment based on substance and openness rather than vague promises and pipe dreams.

Its starting to become apparent who was the driving force behind the the Phoenix like rise of this fantastic football club. whilst they worked tirelessly in the background and others took the plaudits, it seems that now the self promoting ones have left their good work is continuing, even accelerating to a new level without the hinderance that was holding them back.

I fully expect the want away players to review their position, however perhaps our ambitious and driven board might decide that too much water has gone under the bridge, too many bridges have been burnt and they no longer deserve to be part of the Southampton way. They may be seen as self serving and ego driven like certain other former employes who were ruthlessly disposed of. They too will be moved on on our terms, with the best interests of the club at heart and to bring in players that will not disrupt and deserving of being part of the future of this fantastic football club as we set sail on our new mission. The millstones of the past tossed into the sea and our onward journey to continue unabated.

This.

that saved me some typing...... Cheers Turkish

I felt resigned to losing our best players but with Koeman's appointment there is now a sense of defiance. Let them go! I feel sure that we can and will replace them.

This is a new era in the club's history and we should embrace the changes (if they happen) and look forward to the future with real optimism.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

**LIKE**

Good work. Personally, I never had any doubts about the quality of our board ;).

wow poetic man:toppa:

I cried at the end of that, so moving. It was just like watching my favourite film, 'It's a Wonderful Life'. I could even hear the bell! Follow the Yellow brick road! Onwards and upwards rode the.............

This.

that saved me some typing...... Cheers Turkish

This again, it's now time for all the bedwetters and conspiracy theorists to stop moaning and whinging and all pull together to support the club. The club has shown the plans are fully alive with this appointment and I hope that we will see St Mary's full to the brim with strong season ticket sales. Well done to the board on what I believe to be an excellent appointment and indeed an upgrade on before. From watching the Koeman interview he looked genuinely excited, over the moon and spoke glowingly about the club in ENGLISH and talked about liking the family atmosphere, I can't see him jumping ship like the other should we have success.

We have a real chance now to kick on and continue the progress, I'm excited.

What are these quotes ?

From Adam Blackmore...

#Saintsfc Exec Director Les Reed says a reconciliation with Adam Lallana is a possibility, despite player wanting to go...quotes follow....

Reed: "We've brought him to this level, and we could feel that perhaps he should give it a little bit longer with us" #saintsfc

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol, of course the players who went quiet about a week ago are now going to rebel in. There's no way in the world that the club have given them the go ahead. If the 3 stay then I will be happy to be wrong although Iwill be a bid disappointed if we don't sell AL for the decent fee.

Reasonable effort at parody on a message board.

I sende what you're saying is that this is NOT your view. It's not mine either. But some Saints fans will see it totally like you've written it, and thats because they will buy and want to buy the club official line on everything. But you don't and you hope by the little story to help fans gently understand that everything is not always as it seems.

I get the feeling, rightly or wrongly that most fans view the club as bigger than the players. So whilst it might be a nice statement of intent to keep all our players, the loss of Lovren and Lallana will probably result in upgrades. Possibly Shaw too. So either way the new season looks exciting.

The one I really don't want to lose strangely enough (of those rumoured to be clear targets) is Morgan.

Potential replacements as I see them:

Lovren - anyone from Van Dyke, De Vrij, Indi (with Turnbull challenging)

Lallana - James Rodriguez (Monaco and Columbia), Klaassen, Jordie Clasie (with JWP and Reed challenging)

Shaw - Blind (with Targett challenging)

All 3 will still want to go and I'd imagine all 3 will go . The only thing this may have done is stop the Morgan, victor , chambers ect following them.

Get top whack for them and move on.

Like clearing out the old toys to make room for new ones at christmas.

I think our club is in good hands.

I get the feeling, rightly or wrongly that most fans view the club as bigger than the players. So whilst it might be a nice statement of intent to keep all our players, the loss of Lovren and Lallana will probably result in upgrades. Possibly Shaw too. So either way the new season looks exciting.

The one I really don't want to lose strangely enough (of those rumoured to be clear targets) is Morgan.

Potential replacements as I see them:

Lovren - anyone from Van Dyke, De Vrij, Indi (with Turnbull challenging)

Lallana - James Rodriguez (Monaco and Columbia), Klaassen, Jordie Clasie (with JWP and Reed challenging)

Shaw - Blind (with Targett challenging)

James Rodriguez?! Unfortunately he's never going to move to Saints in our current position.

I don't think anybody - apart from the most cock-eyed cranks - will place any blame at Koeman's feet if The Wantaways do wriggle out of the door. But it will be down to him either way, and so it should be.

The board have always said that nobody will go in or out without the manager's say-so, and the very least Koeman will be offered is a chance to sit down with them, because he will be the best judge of whether to play hardball with them in an attempt to keep them.

I've no doubt Koeman will sit down with them and say; "Right, I'm here now, do you want to play for me?"

I also think his stature in the game is such that he can ask them; "Put playing for the club to one side, do you want to play for ME?"

If he gets the slightest vibe they don't want to play for him, he'll get rid. And I think I would trust him to bring in the right replacements

But I wouldn't be surprised if he can win one or two around.

For me, before Koeman was announced, I was dreading the 'big' names leaving. Mainly because it signaled an end to the journey. It now seems to be a mere change of drivers.

If Koeman can help convince those with itchy feet to stay on the bus then that's great, but only if they truly want to stay. If they go, then so be it. He can't be held to ransom for it. It's more indicative of the state of football and the disgusting amount of money involved than any problems at Saints. However I'm much less concerned about them leaving than I was two weeks ago.

For me, before Koeman was announced, I was dreading the 'big' names leaving. Mainly because it signaled an end to the journey. It now seems to be a mere change of drivers.

If Koeman can help convince those with itchy feet to stay on the bus then that's great, but only if they truly want to stay. If they go, then so be it. He can't be held to ransom for it. It's more indicative of the state of football and the disgusting amount of money involved than any problems at Saints. However I'm much less concerned about them leaving than I was two weeks ago.

What will convince the itchy footed to stay on is vision of progress, already it needed more than just Mauricio staying to do that, it's about the plans for thr team next season, we shall see where we're aiming to go with the new signings which we should be closing in on by now. Still think there might be 2 or 3 more departures myself but perhaps not both Lallana and Shaw simply because they're overpriced.

It's been an interesting few weeks, culminating in Koeman's appointment yesterday. If you watch the video interview he is genuinely excited by the prospect of taking the club forward, and unlike Pochettino he doesn't need to move on for the pension pot or to raise his profile. The man exudes confidence and if any of the senior players can't buy into that then it's probably best that they leave and take their chances elsewhere. In Lallana's case I think the ego had landed after the England call, but should England come back from the WC with their tales between their legs (and the usual press wake), he may experience a reality check. Shaw and Lovren are different cases, but as with AL it's a matter of valuation, and here it appears the scousers can't really afford to blow £50M on AL and DL, and I'm not sure the vastly experienced Van Gaal is overly keen on Shaw at the huge asking price. The crux, seems to be that the club have a valuation that they are sticking to and credit to them for that. There will always be bigger clubs where greedy players can go to earn more money, but a couple of sustained successful seasons and trophy hunts may see a team built for players who choose stability and career over a quick cash in. All good stuff!

What will convince the itchy footed to stay on is vision of progress, already it needed more than just Mauricio staying to do that, it's about the plans for thr team next season, we shall see where we're aiming to go with the new signings which we should be closing in on by now. Still think there might be 2 or 3 more departures myself but perhaps not both Lallana and Shaw simply because they're overpriced.

So we aren't asset stripping then?

I expressed my concerns at what was happening, the manager had gone and it seemed our team was going to be picked apart. Even in my worst case doomsday scenario, I didn't see our talisman Rickie leaving.

Lots of us feared that maybe the good times we have seen over the past few years were going to be replaced with mediocrity and obscurity.

I don't know if Koeman will work out or not. Like any signing, or managerial appointment, it's a risk. He could of course fall flat on his face, he may well be a huge success, and leave for a bigger club, or who knows maybe even the Dutch national squad.

What the appointment suggests to me, and I suspect others, is that there is still ambition within the club. KL doesn't simply want to pick it apart (as you were suggesting, and a couple of weeks ago gladly telling us you had suspected for months) take her money and run. It also suggests that they aren't happy to be just also rans. They could have gone for a Hughton, or a Bruce or countless other people of that ilk.

Instead of that, they have plumped for a big name in football. Granted, that name was made more as a player, than it was as a manager. But it is still a big name. Despite this, he has had some success, heck he has won cups in three countries - I'd be happy for him to have a proper crack at the cups. As big a fan of MP I was, this is a criticism of him.

RK may not keep all the players, we may still lose Shaw or Lallana or both. But, such an appointment does suggest that he will be allowed to strengthen, I can hardly see him coming here to oversee a sinking ship.

There may well be change, we may not finish 8th again next season. But from this, I, and I think others on here, will certainly see signs for encouragement.

I think some of you are massively underestimating how difficult it will be to replace our best and most influencial players .

I'm not I think it will be v.difficult to replace players wanted by top clubs with players not wanted by top clubs. Whoever replaces Lallana + Shaw will be worse than Lallana + Shaw. Stands to reason!

I'm not I think it will be v.difficult to replace players wanted by top clubs with players not wanted by top clubs. Whoever replaces Lallana + Shaw will be worse than Lallana + Shaw. Stands to reason!

Same with Lambert as well. Also Lovren and Morgan if they leave on top. Our squad will be worse regardless of how much cash we get in.

How much are they paying you? Maybe the players will purely still want to leave to get immediate Champions League football or even just a pay rise. Things don't have to be so black or white. You're like a bleedin' politician. Can't stand them either!

I'll admit to being bloody worried when Cortese left and while this appointment goes a long way to easing my fears, the main thing is says to me about the new board is that they're intelligent enough to let Les Reed make the big footballing decisions, and for that I congratulate them and are grateful. I'm sure that if they continue to make such good decisions moving forward, we'll take far more steps forward than we'll take back. That doesn't mean they (or Les) won't make mistakes in the future, after all Cortese made a few, but it definitely gives me more trust in what they're trying to do.

Same with Lambert as well. Also Lovren and Morgan if they leave on top. Our squad will be worse regardless of how much cash we get in.

this isn't necessarily the case at all, what needs to happen is we replace this generation with another set of up and coming players I don't remember last summer people thinking we'd signed a future Barca player when Lovren arrived and there was a time in League one when a lot of fans thought Lallana was over rated!

I don't think we will be as strong next season but I don't think we will be like a small kid in the corner being bullied because we've got no decent players at all.

Edited by a1ex2001

Lovren - van Djik or Caulker

Lallana - Firmino or Cerci (ambitious)

Shaw - Kolodziejczak

I feel we need to go big if Lallana goes for his replacement and the two of those players have been outstanding in the previous season and would be available for around £15m.

thats the sad thing of all this, the pride that we were mainly an English team/squad is potentially going to be swept away in a matter of weeks.