Lukaku

washsaint

Good logic. Ignore his last 2 seasons in the league in which we are playing, and make the full decision on his suitability based on 2 matches at international level.

He would be an epic signing, but he's out of our reach.

Good logic. Ignore his last 2 seasons in the league in which we are playing, and make the full decision on his suitability based on 2 matches at international level.

Really? Played well in the WBA game (as did the other front two) but on the whole haven't been that impressed by him -certainly not enough to justify the £35m price tag. Many Everton fans have been pretty underwhelmed.

But he's the proverbial 'hipster' player...

Really? Played well in the WBA game (as did the other front two) but on the whole haven't been that impressed by him -certainly not enough to justify the £35m price tag. Many Everton fans have been pretty underwhelmed.

But he's the proverbial 'hipster' player...

This... heavy touch and a bit lazy is the word, somehow still has a very good scoring record in spite of his flaws to be fair.

As I said on another thread, I think he is a decent but he is £20m decent not £35m decent.

Would he come here? Would our valuation match Chelsea's? No idea.

that is what many say about lallana

£15m decent not £25m decent

Should we be lolling at Mourinho?.....because he clearly doesn't.

And you can see why... would not have scored many at Chelsea; he's better off playing wide and attacking with the ball; not intelligent enough as a lone striker as tonight clearly showed.

Go and have a gander on the Everton forums.... They don't want him.

He gets loads of stick and pretty much to a man don't want to sign him.

where

there is a 106 page thread on the grand old team

most saying they would like him and would cost them £25m or so???

Go and have a gander on the Everton forums.... They don't want him.

He gets loads of stick and pretty much to a man don't want to sign him.

all due respect Gemmel but forums!!! Some on her think Cork and Clyne should be playing for England ffs. Lukaku would be a massive signing for us IMO.

all due respect Gemmel but forums!!! Some on her think Cork and Clyne should be playing for England ffs. Lukaku would be a massive signing for us IMO.

Well he would be far better than Johnson, you can't possibly deny that?

And no, Lukaku has a lot to learn, he can be an exceptional player, but last season the system didn't suit him and he was more often than not, anonymous for Everton. There is a reason Chelsea keep loaning him out and have slapped a ridiculous price tag on his head, obviously they get this too.

He will be good, but we can't afford a) his price tag and b) to carry him in games he goes missing.

Would you rather have Smalling and Cleverly in their respective positions? I'm not saying C&C are world beaters, but I would say England are bad enough for them to get a look in.

And no, Lukaku has a lot to learn, he can be an exceptional player, but last season the system didn't suit him and he was more often than not, anonymous for Everton. There is a reason Chelsea keep loaning him out and have slapped a ridiculous price tag on his head, obviously they get this too.

He will be good, but we can't afford a) his price tag and b) to carry him in games he goes missing.

I do dent that, he obviously did not do himself any favours in the England under 21 competition last summer. As has been stated many times he has been kept out of the Saints by Chambers and so in theory not NO1 in his club team. I do like Clyne by the wait but not bias enough to think he is better than Johnson.

Lambert frequently went missing last season, he was still a useful player to have. If Lukaku consistently put in his best performances, he really would be worth £35m. I'd rather have an inconsistent Lukaku in the hope he will improve, rather than someone consistently average.

just like this place. there are some that say shaw is no way worth £30m on here. you always get a mixture of opinions

would lukaku improve us? damn right, will he go for £35m? not a chance

People quibble about Shaw's price but nobody is denying his talent whereas many people are openly critical of Lukaku. A very different tone, Brett.

People quibble about Shaw's price but nobody is denying his talent whereas many people are openly critical of Lukaku. A very different tone, Brett.

well, he scores goals and is 21. not sure there are many like him with his potential in europe (strikers)

Would you rather have Smalling and Cleverly in their respective positions? I'm not saying C&C are world beaters, but I would say England are bad enough for them to get a look in.
it is depressing to think that they are the 2nd options. It does not make Clynes inclusion as the correct choice though. I hope Clyne improves that little but more next season. I suggest that Clynes World Cup hopes disappeared at WHL last season where he turned our likely victory into a defeat by one terrible error when Roy was watching

The premiership seems the right place for him. When he tore us apart playing for WBA he still looked dreadful in terms of control and passing ability. I'm not sure he has what is required for Spain and Italy in terms of tight control. Raw power and pace is what he offers. The prem has room for that. Not my cup of tea, but he would certainly improve us. He won't be coming here, so it matters not.

:lol:

He has had a poor workd cup but obviously he is a tremendous player who I believe is off to Athletico

Personally I think Benteke is better, but not by much, he just hasnt had a chance at a bigger club

Look if we could get Lukaku, we'd be set up for 6+ seasons because his goals would propel us up the table and on the fringes of Europe, no question about that. Get in Europe, and he'd stay, fail to get in Europe however and he'd be poached instantly.

In fairness if Johnson and Gerrard play for England that's hardly a particularly high barrier to entry really...

What is it about the World Cup that turns football fans so fickle? I saw a load of Facebook status' and posts on a facebook group I'm on claiming that Messi isn't even in the top 10 in the world and is crap etc while the Argies were 0-0. I've also had a friend tell me that Gerrard is the most overrated player in England history and shouldn't have been anywhere near the England squad. Not to mention all the abuse Rooney's getting.

Seriously, why do some football fans ignore everything else players have done in their careers (and even in this season) and pay attention to their WCs? Honestly don't get it

He is not first choice for us, there is no way at present he is an International player yet

Can see where your coming from as personally I dont think he is international standard however there isnt many more options out there. He has had a good season for us and is overlooked for Lampard which for me is rediculous.

Theres no real ball winner or DM in the England set up, Gerrard has had a great season for Liverpool but A. Their set up gives him protection and B. He looks knackered

Behind Gerrard who is there ? Barkley and Henderson normally operate further forward, unfortunately Wilshere flatters to decieve and then there is Milner or Lampard. Surely Hodgson should've gambled on Cork or even Huddlestone or Livermore FFS.

As per Johnson, he isnt rediculously terrible, he plays ok in tournaments and was steady against Uraguay, but again Woys backups are pish, an injured Jones and Smalling (who is as terrible at RB as he is CB) its a shame that Clyne wasnt even our first choice but if thats the case surely take Flanagan or Stones etc ?

Not out of the realms of possibility that Cork and Clyne could have offered more

What is it about the World Cup that turns football fans so fickle? I saw a load of Facebook status' and posts on a facebook group I'm on claiming that Messi isn't even in the top 10 in the world and is crap etc while the Argies were 0-0. I've also had a friend tell me that Gerrard is the most overrated player in England history and shouldn't have been anywhere near the England squad. Not to mention all the abuse Rooney's getting.

Seriously, why do some football fans ignore everything else players have done in their careers (and even in this season) and pay attention to their WCs? Honestly don't get it

Ill let you into a secret

Most fans are idiots who base opinion on media coverage and common conjecture.

Danny Murphy (member of the FA commission and one of the best pundits at the WC) on Radio 5L last night was questioned about the FA aim to win the world cup in 2022 (stop s******ing at the back) and he made a diplomatic, not-impossible-but-a-long-way-to-go type answer. He spoke about potential and improvement: 'players like Barclay, Shaw, and Nathial Clyne will be at their peak by then' (he mentioned one other but can't remember who it was, possibly Stones?)... he's clearly on the radar and, rightly, he is appreciated by those ITK.

Danny Murphy (member of the FA commission and one of the best pundits at the WC) on Radio 5L last night was questioned about the FA aim to win the world cup in 2022 (stop sniggering at the back) and he made a diplomatic, not-impossible-but-a-long-way-to-go type answer. He spoke about potential and improvement: 'players like Barclay, Shaw, and Nathial Clyne will be at their peak by then' (he mentioned one other but can't remember who it was, possibly Stones?)... he's clearly on the radar and, rightly, he is appreciated by those ITK.

Danny Murphy is arguably the best pundit on either channel, talks a lot of sense.

(oh, and I've fixed your "scunthorpe" glitch ;)

Ill let you into a secret

Most fans are idiots who base opinion on media coverage and common conjecture.

+1.

If I remember; this time last year Liverpool were hoping to build on a 7th placed finish in the Prem and according to the press were competing against us for transfer signatures, also Suarez was a buck toothed cheat and a liability and some Liverpool supporters wanted rid of him. David Moyes was the next great saviour of football and managers. Mourinho was going to walk the title with record points despite having no strikers and just by farting. Meanwhile on mongweb we were standing still and not making any decent signings whilst Norwich were going to smash Saints to **** because of their amazing signing of a Wolfswinkie.