Countdown...

gary3009

With around 5 weeks left of the window and us being probably 5 players short (More perhaps with transfers out), are we leaving it too late for a decent start to the campaign? I only ask as our fixture list could be seen as being kind to us in the opening month or two, but i fear we may not have the settled squad to take advantage of it.Centre backs need to get used to each other and their goalkeeper etc. I'm not expecting anything above a mid-table finish but if we are to bring in that amount of players it will surely take too much time to achieve even this goal. Unless of course the youngsters will be given an opportunity first....

Also in a weeks time we only have two friendlies left because the away one got canned. Unlikely we will sign more than 2 this week, so quite possible some new signings will have one friendly, possibly none before the Liverpool game.

Not ideal seeing as we have known our needs for a long time.

With around 5 weeks left of the window and us being probably 5 players short (More perhaps with transfers out), are we leaving it too late for a decent start to the campaign? I only ask as our fixture list could be seen as being kind to us in the opening month or two, but i fear we may not have the settled squad to take advantage of it.Centre backs need to get used to each other and their goalkeeper etc. I'm not expecting anything above a mid-table finish but if we are to bring in that amount of players it will surely take too much time to achieve even this goal. Unless of course the youngsters will be given an opportunity first....

Well done, you managed not to use the word "Gel".

Considering we have so many gaps in the squad to fill, potentially even more, I think it has gone worryingly quiet...

Depends what you mean by gaps?

And whether Lovren and Schneiderlin are leaving. As it stands, I would like new signings but could easily be argued are squad is top ten so 'needing' players maybe strong without a target for perspective.

The biggest unknown is how the new management team will do, they certainly seem an upgrade on MP when he came in - if they do well we will be fine, if - as change of manager often risky - they don't work out we will struggle. Sounds obvious but gar more impact on our season than signings.

I suspect the club feel Pelle /Tadic are more than a match for Lallana / Lambert - with Targett not millions of miles behind Shaw. With Reid, JWP, Gallagher coming on there is more depth.

I would like a CB, keeper and CF but with injuries in those areas last season we came 8th.

We are only a LB short of the squad that finished last season and I have no doubt that is being addressed. We need a very more options on top of that but we aren't far off the team who finished 8th last year. Tadic and Pelle may yet prove to be better than what we sold.

8 of the players who started against Man Utd are still here, I fail to see any problems so far.

I agree things do seem to have gone quiet re: more incoming players, even when rumours start it mostly takes some weeks for things to complete. The club keeps stressing how strong our Scouting set up is and identifying targets months in advance but things still happen slowly once the transfer window opens. I would have thought that they would be ready to spring into action, which they must be doing behind the scenes but without much outward sign so far. It would be interesting if Pelle and Tadic were on the scouting list or just Koemans influence.

I'd like to think that the clubs know what they are doing, but even before the 3 transfers out this summer (2 replaced) I thought that we needed 3 players to strenghten the squad, add to that Osvaldo seemingly not coming back then thats 5 transfers needed in the next 6 weeks, let alone the outcome of Lovren and Morgan.

Why did he take the job they offered him?

Perhaps for the money, people keep telling me players only leave for money, the old manager only left for money so why should Koeman be any different really. He needed a job, we had one to offer, perhaps he gets more than he did at Feyenoord, who knows. Got his brother a job and his mate..quids in ain't he.For the time being we'll just have to wait and see.

Do I sense a bit pf panic setting in here Gary?,

.......not that that's it's unusual at this time of the year. Some famous names on this board go into convulsions every July 2nd ....if we haven't signed at least 4 new players and predict doom.

If we backtrack to the original Les Reed interview on the subject, he said we have an ongoing review of all our " potential target signings" long in advance and if some of those coincide with some of RKs favourites .that makes it easier. Of course the players concerned need to be happy to come to SFC, and have a perfect right to go elsewhere, or stay at their present club.

We don't hold a pistol to their head (though it might not be a bad idea with one or two) ...and they're all (supposedly) adult enough to make their own decisions if they choose not to come.

I'm sure that a week or so of training and a couple of friendly games has helped the situation on a bit, and RK &Co. will have decided who he wants to keep and who he doesn't mind letting go / ignoring.

I go along with the CB comment and particularly ...the goalie ( a position I have been concerned about since our return to the Prem.:scared:) however, I expect to see a couple more new names before the end of the month......and even one or two before the season really starts. NOTE: All new players don't necessarily start game 1, especially if they haven't had a Saints'-style pre-season ......

Having watched /listened to a number of fairly reputable agents (there are some ) state that a transfer - even when the player is willing to come - can often take weeks rather than days to complete.

Saints' policy of not disclosing information until the ink is dry on the contract does mean we wait a bit longer before announcing new transfers, rather that the "other method " favoured by some Prem. managers ....of conducting the agreement via the media, and they tend to look a bit silly when it all goes wrong at the last minute.

Of course, RK may have " discovered " more Academy talent that he intends to use ...and if they are anywhere near the standard of ; JWP, Chambers or Shaw ...then we'll have saved quite a bit of money in the long run.

Edited by david in sweden

We are only a LB short of the squad that finished last season and I have no doubt that is being addressed. We need a very more options on top of that but we aren't far off the team who finished 8th last year. Tadic and Pelle may yet prove to be better than what we sold.

8 of the players who started against Man Utd are still here, I fail to see any problems so far.

Smart observation Lighthouse, as some of our regular moaners seem to think the only people left at SMS are the groundsman and the tea-lady :lol:

Are some of you like this in real life?

"Oh no honey, we're out of butter!!!!"

"what are we going to do?? Oh no, my toast is ruined!"

"that's it I am going to miss breakfast and then i'll become anorexic"

"Ohhh I don't feel well now, i'll be dead before next week, I AM TELLING YOU!"

We are only a LB short of the squad that finished last season and I have no doubt that is being addressed.

I agree, but we were definitiely light in the striker department following J-Rods injury, and dependent on Boruc not throwing a fit.

And with Morgan and Lovren still looking likely to go, our Transfer Committee (Mk. 2) shouldnt be resting on its laurels.

Those 8, plus the 2 we've already replaced - 100%

Those 2 we signed didn't contribute to our goals or assists last year...

I'd imagine Lallana and Lambert contributed to around 50% of our goals and assists last season.

So are you implying Pelle and Tadic will score 20 goals and 20 assists between them?

I'd imagine Lallana and Lambert contributed to around 50% of our goals and assists last season.

So are you implying Pelle and Tadic will score 20 goals and 20 assists between them?

I wonder who will score the most this season. Pelle or Lambert

also, people are talking as if Tadic is at least as good as lallana

so, team of the season for him then, no problem

10 goals and 10 assists for a player is decent but nothing astonishing. It's not like we're replacing a 30 goal a season machine like Liverpool are with Suarez.

I see no reason why the new lads can't match L&Ls achievements last year. If we get another attacking player in they just need to average 7 goals and assists each and we're marginally ahead on last season.

10 goals and 10 assists for a player is decent but nothing astonishing. It's not like we're replacing a 30 goal a season machine like Liverpool are with Suarez.

I see no reason why the new lads can't match L&Ls achievements last year. If we get another attacking player in they just need to average 7 goals and assists each and we're marginally ahead on last season.

yeah, and osvaldo was going to score us to top 6

yeah, and osvaldo was going to score us to top 6

No idea what you're point is.

What we lacked last season was depth. Take out Lallana and Lambert and you're left with Guly and Gallagher in the team.

If we get a couple more in we will have a stronger squad overall. Maybe one of them will be a dud and only hit 5 goals but then another might be a superstar and hit 20 on his own.

No idea what you're point is.

What we lacked last season was depth. Take out Lallana and Lambert and you're left with Guly and Gallagher in the team.

If we get a couple more in we will have a stronger squad overall. Maybe one of them will be a dud and only hit 5 goals but then another might be a superstar and hit 20 on his own.

my point was that we let go tried and tested premier league (and england) players and have rolled the dice.

we have to roll the dice, I get that. But to even think about letting 2 more star players go after letting 3 already is madness

He knew Lambert, Shaw and Lallana were going/gone

He was obviously told that Lovren and Schneiderlin wouldn't be, otherwise he would have not stated that at his first Press conference

If that turns out to be a load of spheres, then that changes everything.

Me personally ? I'd walk, because the "job description" has changed so much

People can't or won't see it. Under Katharina, at best, we will be a lower half of the Prem team. Anyone who thinks otherwise now is only deluding themselves

I was "conned" into renewing my ST before it became clear that there WAS going to be a mass Exodus ( 3 so far, but more to come)

Two Tongued Reed, and Pale Shadow Leibherr have a lot to answer for IMHO

The hardest job for a new manager is adapting a formation to use the " existing star players ". Look at Torres move to Chelsea, and that ridiculous Andy Carroll transfer to Liverpool...and there were more.

With £50 million in the bank ..and who knows ..possibly another £40 million in the offing, I should think that RK would be grinning from ear-to-ear at the prospect of having " his own brand new squad ".

I think the " no more will leave " statements from LR, RK and RK were simply a smoke screen to reasurre the " bed-wetters " and an ideal chance to get shot of the " money hungry stars" who would only create a bad atmosphere in the dressing room by moaning about their ... " lost ambitions ". Players should be loyal to their team and we don't need bad apples who create disharmony.

Those who want away, for whatever reasons, should go and we get players who want to play for our club, and not those who only " dream " of those greener fields in the north of England.

Edited by david in sweden

Most likely Hooiveld

good joke, but my laugh was ironic. I think that inside Jos is a better player trying to get out, AND to be fair to him, some of those notorious own goals he was credited with weren't totally his fault.

He won't become player of the season, but with RK's encouragement, we may see him making some sort of a positive contribution this season.

There are grounds to be optimistic that we will start the season with a team as strong or better than last year's:

* two of the three departures have been replaced by players who are of similar quality

* one or two of the young players being tried out could well prove to be of premier league standard

* Les Reed, in his vidcast, made it clear that players had already been identified who would strengthen the team but the new manager would make the final decisions

* The manager was away all of last week with the squad, so it was unlikely that any signings would take place while he was in Belgium and while he was assessing the quality already available. Movement is likely in the coming week, or fortnight.

All of this still leaves some cause for concern:

* That Koeman has been able to bring in good replacements for two of the three he was told would be leaving is good work but it still means that none of Les Reed's " targets we have identified to improve our squad" (statement 2 June) have yet joined us;

* The LB position has not been replaced. If Matt Target is introduced to the team, that is likely to be gradual, as it was with Shaw, and would still require another LB to provide competition for the spot; If we are to be weaker at LB than we were the question is, by how much will this weaken a squad that was supposed to be strengthened?

* Some players on Les Reed's list back in May could well have signed for other clubs by now so the list might now be somewhat diminished;

* That Lovren was not included in any of the four line-ups that played in Belgium/Netherlands could indicate that he doesn't feature in Koeman's plans because he is expected to go.

With the gaps all caused by departing international standard players it will be hard to argue that the squad is stronger until those coming in of similar standard, exceed the 'outs'. Much as it will be good to see one or two young players making the grade, they could hardly be regarded as strengthening the squad until they have proved themselves. So it's an important week this week, either for signings or rumours of signings, to increase the optimism by next weekend.

I was "conned" into renewing my ST before it became clear that there WAS going to be a mass Exodus ( 3 so far, but more to come)

Don't know about you but I go to St Marys (and before that, The Dell) to support the team and have done so through many ups and downs for 50+ years.

If you only come to see certain players and want to quit when things aren't to your liking, then you're no great loss.

We are still 7 players short with the impending exits of Lovren and Morgan. Would be amazed if we signed more than 3-4. It's going to be a long, tough season

7! WTF are we going to do with seven new signings. I'm imagining that you're talking about a GK, LB, 2xCB, CF. Where are the others (that would be unlikely to get a game) going?

He was obviously told that Lovren and Schneiderlin wouldn't be, otherwise he would have not stated that at his first Press conference

People can't or won't see it. Under Katharina, at best, we will be a lower half of the Prem team. Anyone who thinks otherwise now is only deluding themselves

Are you really suggesting that Koeman came into the role without knowing exactly what was going on with Schneiderlin and Lovren? Do you not think that either he or his advisers have access to the Internet or newspapers then? Those two were in the news long before he got here.

I think you're very much underestimating Koeman if you think he turned up here with his eyes closed. He would have known more about the goings on at the club before he arrived than anyone on this forum does now. You seem to think he turned up, was told a pack of lies by the board and bought it all without making his own enquiries. Just a ridiculous suggestion.

You are truly a melt. Boo hoo I bought a season ticket and now I don't want it. Boo hoo we are not going to win every game. Boo hoo Katharina doesn't love me. Boo hoo I'd leave if I was RK.

Grow a spine for goodness sake.

Or go and 'support' someone else.

7! WTF are we going to do with seven new signings. I'm imagining that you're talking about a GK, LB, 2xCB, CF. Where are the others (that would be unlikely to get a game) going?

1. Shaw replacement

2. Osvaldo replacement

3. Guly replacement

4. Another striker as J Rod is out and Gallagher not ready

5. Goalkeeper to challenge Boruc for No 1 shirt

6. Lovren replacement

7. Schneiderlin replacement

I really do believe this is a minimum requirement if we want to finish anywhere near 8th. You've only got to look at the pre-season squad to realise how small and inexperienced it is. Not sure what you mean by those who won't get a game, we could have lost 5 first team players by the end of the window. And we can't rely on the like of Gallagher, Reed, Targett etc. Despite some people believing every young player we have will be good enough like Shaw, it just isn't going to happen

I'm worried about the countdown too. It's a real conundrum. We need a mixture of top players and solid bottom end Premier League players. I'd take 1 from the top and 5 from the bottom. We should have a look at **** Shonerikorna, for starters.

I'm worried about the countdown too. It's a real conundrum. We need a mixture of top players and solid bottom end Premier League players. I'd take 1 from the top and 5 from the bottom. We should have a look at **** Shonerikorna, for starters.

Lols

Trying to work in a gag about brining in players from the consonant, or something.

Important to hold on to Rodriguez. 9 letters.

1. Shaw replacement

2. Osvaldo replacement

3. Guly replacement

4. Another striker as J Rod is out and Gallagher not ready

5. Goalkeeper to challenge Boruc for No 1 shirt

6. Lovren replacement

7. Schneiderlin replacement

I really do believe this is a minimum requirement if we want to finish anywhere near 8th. You've only got to look at the pre-season squad to realise how small and inexperienced it is. Not sure what you mean by those who won't get a game, we could have lost 5 first team players by the end of the window. And we can't rely on the like of Gallagher, Reed, Targett etc. Despite some people believing every young player we have will be good enough like Shaw, it just isn't going to happen

We don't need 7.

If we sign another AM and striker to replace Osvaldlo and Guly, that will cover J Rod's injury for a few months.

You're being pessimistic if you think Lovren and Morgan are both definitely off. It's possible but let's not talk about 'needing' replacements whilst they're still here.

Agree on LB and GK. by my count that's 4 we need plus replacements for anyone else important leaving.

So what have they said to indicate they are staying, compared to what they have said regarding leaving?

Nothing. But I haven't made an announcement at my work to say I will be in tomorrow. (However, I did say to my boss on Friday that I wouldn't be in if I won the lottery this weekend -I just hope he isn't sat at home panicking!)

It's about attitude as a fanatic supporter; pessimism is all well and good when you are three nil up against Norwich and they score two in a minute, but a waste of time this early in the off-season.

All the attributed statements were from a while back. A week is a long time in football, or something!

You are truly a melt. Boo hoo I bought a season ticket and now I don't want it. Boo hoo we are not going to win every game. Boo hoo Katharina doesn't love me. Boo hoo I'd leave if I was RK.

Grow a spine for goodness sake.

Or go and 'support' someone else.

are you CBFry if not you do a good impersonation