Transfer Rumours Only

Jimmy_D

It's impossible to know before a competitive ball has been kicked how effective he will be or his comparative pedigree to what went before, but looking only at a managers track record before they joined Saints, it can not be argued that he has the best CV - as a player and manager.

Why Saints? Well, what other top 8 premier league jobs were available this summer? Apart from United, who got Van Gaal in early doors. That could be part of the reason - we were simply the most attractive top flight proposition available, looking at it from the most basic level.

We're a good oppotunity for Koeman and I'm not disputing that but the reality is that if he was a true Champions League pedigree manager, he wouldn't be here now, 15 odd years into his coaching career.

You could have said all that about Pochettino. Based on RK's actual record he is an upgrade but only time and results can confirm that.

how is he an upgrade?

we dont know YET?

he will be an upgrade if he manages top 8 (ok, top 10 given the turn around) and further in the cups

We're a good oppotunity for Koeman and I'm not disputing that but the reality is that if he was a true Champions League pedigree manager, he wouldn't be here now, 15 odd years into his coaching career.

Ah I don't know, perhaps he's playing the field, we're his 8th or 9th club in 14 seasons, tried everyone acceptable in Holland, had a flirt with the Iberic peninsular so we're a logical step forward for him. Hope he does well but I would by far rather we still had MP.

I didn't say he was the best manager ever, just that he has a more impressive CV than any of our previous managers at the time of their appointment.

If not Koeman, then which former Saints manager in our 129 year history has a better managerial CV?

According to wki Koeman has ( ignoring tin pot trophies i.e Charity shield equivalents) 3 Dutch titles, 1 Dutch cup and 1 Spanish cup. When he joined us, Souness had 3 Scottish titles, 1 FA cup and 1 Turkish cup. He also won 3 Scottish league cups which could be considered pretty noddy. Other than that, pretty similar, maybe better.

I didn't say he was the best manager ever, just that he has a more impressive CV than any of our previous managers at the time of their appointment.

If not Koeman, then which former Saints manager in our 129 year history has a better managerial CV?

I'm saying his CV is partly an artefact of being part born into footballing aristocracy. As a legend of his generation, the proverbial captain fantastic, every door was opened for him - contrast his career path with that of a manager who's had to work his way up the greasy pole with limited resources.

His career trajectory is pretty easy to follow: having done well in leagues that are effectively closed shops, he made a mess of his first big job in a quasi-competitive league.

Who has the better CV is thus frankly irrelevant. I would have been more excited by the appointment of a Tuchel or Yakin -and that's not because they have better CVs. Ultimately what matters is who is the better manager and best equipped to lead us in the here and now. Not saying Koeman is a bad appointment but your autistic bleating about CVs does more to obscure this question than illuminate it.

Edited by shurlock

Southampton will signal their determination to hold on to Morgan Schneiderlin by telling his suitors, who are headed by Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal, that he would cost them in excess of the £27m that Manchester United paid to sign Luke Shaw.

Koeman intends to press on with his incoming business and he is close to a deal for the Celtic centre-half Virgil van Dijk. There is the acceptance at the club that Koeman needs a goalkeeper, one or most likely two centre-backs, a striker, as Dani Osvaldo is available for transfer and, probably, another wide midfielder.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/25/southampton-morgan-schneiderlin-tottenham?CMP=twt_gu

Just how difficult is it to keep a thread on topic ???

Seems we are selling plenty.

Les better pull a few irons out of the fire

Anyone able to name a club sold 5 of its best players in one close season other than when they had got relegated

Do YOU think we'll be able to keep him? The club claimed no more outgoings after Shaw, Lallana and Lambert.

Would you prefer the club to publicly admit everyone is for sale? That doesn't help our negotiating position does it?

If we get a huge bid for Schneiderlin he'll go, every player has a price. What is important is how well we recruit players ourselves. The Guardian says we are close to a deal for Virgil van Dijk. We could end up with van Dijk and Forster with the Lovren money and still have money left over from that £20m, let alone the Lallana, Pochettino, Shaw, Lambert money.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Southampton will signal their determination to hold on to Morgan Schneiderlin by telling his suitors, who are headed by Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal, that he would cost them in excess of the £27m that Manchester United paid to sign Luke Shaw.
That is not a signal that they want to keep hold of him. Saying he is not for sale is.

That is not a signal that they want to keep hold of him. Saying he is not for sale is.

Ultimately we haven't wanted to sell any of our players - it's just been up to the players themselves. So if Morgan wants to stay, he will.

If he wants out then we have another big problem on our hands.

News to me. There was this ONE comment when Sharp, having been told to look elsewhere by Pochettino, was quoted saying he'd like to play for Celtic, and a few articles after that spun from a Celtic perspective, but nothing suggesting an offer: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/331546/Southampton-striker-Billy-Sharp-attracted-to-Celtic-s-big-European-nights
Sharp did go up to Glasgow and was interviewed along with a couple of overseas strikers. He reported their interest on twitter but he went silent when he was turned down. Celtic decided on an Icelandic or Scandinavian guy. Sharp was turned down on his salary demands like he has been at most clubs who showed any interest in him.

Would you prefer the club to publicly admit everyone is for sale? That doesn't help our negotiating position does it?

If we get a huge bid for Schneiderlin he'll go, every player has a price. What is important is how well we recruit players ourselves. The Guardian says we are close to a deal for Virgil van Dijk. We could end up with van Dijk and Forster with the Lovren money and still have money left over from that £20m, let alone the Lallana, Pochettino, Shaw, Labert money.

Kruger gave an indication the shop was open when he was interviewed on the last day of the season.

Van Dijk is somebody I have not heard of until now. There again Iam insular and only watch English football. Like our 2signings I an unsure how they will cope with pL football. I just hope they are better than Steve who came from Dutch football. Forster is obviously a good keeper but still seems to be untried consistently under the glare of pL football.

MS will be disenchanted. IMO and so may well leave as well

Sad no one's listening to Talksport. They've been discussing Saints for over an hour and have to say I'm bursting with pride at 2 Saints supporters who phoned in, a Ryan and a Robbie. What positivity and faith in the club, its Academy and future. What a contrast to posters on here, who clearly must be in the minority.

What a bunch of hand wringing pussies we have for 'fans'. Old Nick - your, frankly, stupid comments about Kruger opening the door to sales is getting as tiresome as 'they got way with it' bleats......ffs: what on earth do you want them to say: no-one is for sale and noone will be leaving? And then look stupid when the players force a move (e.g. lallana and Lovren).

I'd hate to be in the trenches with some of you lot. Defeatist, feeling of entitlement and just pure whinging seems to be the order of the day!

Any player will go for a bigger enough offer: from any club. including Man U, Liverpool or others. This is not unique to Saints, but more we had a crop of very good players that other teams now covet.

I have faith that koeman will do well and we will offer more than a Plan A. certainly the plaers who have been with him for the last 3 weeks seem very impressed.

Van Dijk is somebody I have not heard of until now. There again Iam insular and only watch English football. Like our 2signings I an unsure how they will cope with pL football. I just hope they are better than Steve who came from Dutch football.

Here you are Nick...something to cheer you up.

[video=youtube;oY-RXVRpnUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY-RXVRpnUY

What a bunch of hand wringing pussies we have for 'fans'. Old Nick - your, frankly, stupid comments about Kruger opening the door to sales is getting as tiresome as 'they got way with it' bleats......ffs: what on earth do you want them to say: no-one is for sale and noone will be leaving? And then look stupid when the players force a move (e.g. lallana and Lovren).

I'd hate to be in the trenches with some of you lot. Defeatist, feeling of entitlement and just pure whinging seems to be the order of the day!

Any player will go for a bigger enough offer: from any club. including Man U, Liverpool or others. This is not unique to Saints, but more we had a crop of very good players that other teams now covet.

I have faith that koeman will do well and we will offer more than a Plan A. certainly the plaers who have been with him for the last 3 weeks seem very impressed.

You sit there and suck it all up, I may be a hand wringing pussy but I did not fall for the Kruger and Reed double act. They have made mugs of many fans and I find it distasteful, but as long as there are never say die fans like yourself who will take a good ramming and still come back for more there will be more to come. We have bought 2 players from the Dutch league , get the bunting out, if we buy a couple of others you can organise a street party.

Yes players will go to other clubs, I have seen lots of it for decades, but this many! and the club not having replacements in before they have gone or at the very least nearly signed is negligent. In life I have found that people who tell it as it is get abuse because they hit the point , people don't like the truth they like lala land.

As for being in the trenches, I have met many wartime heroes with gallantry medals and the ones who won anything were not the ones who bragged about being good in the trenches

Very good post which I totally agree with

The only point I would add is that both Reed and Kruegar said we are not a selling club I think what they meant by that was that the club does not need to sell to move forward but of course they will sell if players do not want play for the club.

We have really done well to get £75m for Lallana Lovren and Shaw

Very good post Washsaint; sums up my feelings on a range of subjects very well. As for Old Nick, check out the PTS thread - he's one of the most pro skate posters on there.

We seem to have a lot of invertebrates on this board which is a shame.

Very good post Washsaint; sums up my feelings on a range of subjects very well. As for Old Nick, check out the PTS thread - he's one of the most pro skate posters on there.

We seem to have a lot of invertebrates on this board which is a shame.

Pro skate lol, yep you have got me there, there I was covering my pro Skate feelings by telling the world they will get away with it, which they did. No backbone , but unlike some Iam not solid bone from the neck up

It's all very well having millions in the bank but we actually need some players to actually play football on the pitch as I have concluded that's what an actual Football Club is about. Sell Lovren yes, but anymore and we really will be flirting with disaster. MS must stay imo.

It's all very well having millions in the bank but we actually need some players to actually play football on the pitch as I have concluded that's what an actual Football Club is about. Sell Lovren yes, but anymore and we really will be flirting with disaster. MS must stay imo.

Looks like Chambers is gone .....so flirting with disaster it is then !!

makes me sick, was going to rant but what's the point, hopefully by the time saints play Liverpool we will have a starting eleven to be proud of again. Although with three weeks to go we will most likely get a ramming by Liverpool and the supports that shout bedwetting will say the team needs time to 'gel' uhoh.. *rollyeyedthing

Looks like Chambers is gone .....so flirting with disaster it is then !!

A sign of the madness of this transfer window that a player not making the bench for a friendly match is proof that he is gone. We might as well give up if we sell Chambers.