Marcos Rojo

S-Clarke

I'd be inclined to give them more of the benefit of the doubt if we had unveiled more signings and agreed fewer players leaving - fundamentally the "none selling until there's a replacement signed up" is where it's going wrong. Cover that off and the players we sign are cheaper and more likely to come to begin with.

That and the whole 'probably not for sale' thing which was just a lie.

So far......it's not shut yet. As much as I can understand all the pessimism and doom and gloom I just have a sneaky feeling that this painful process is a revolution of the squad. We can debate the why's and the wherefore's of each sale and the overall effect but it's a waste of time now. The club has a strategy and whatever that looks like now we have to give them time to work it through. In a months time (if not a lot sooner) it will be clear what the strategy and ambition is.

Ronald Koeman is not a cheap option ( I suspect, we won't actually know) and he is certainly high profile. A club (business) intent on scaling down does not hire high calibre ambitious people.

If the ambition of the club is to just survive then we all know that's a dangerous game to play. And if this is the case then RK will be off. When you watch his interviews he looks genuinely happy to be here and very calm about player matters.

Whatever the reason(s) Cortese has gone. Some loved him, others mistrusted him, others merely tolerated his leadership because of the success. What we are not aware if is exactly how much impact influence and input Les Reed actually had on Football policy as opposed to business policy. The fact remains he has been here throughout, remains here and from my standpoint strikes me as a man who knows exactly what needs to happen how to do it and then does it. He deserves a bit of trust. Time will determine the reality.

Transforming a squad by selling popular and some of the best seems folly. Sometimes a business needs to sell at the peak of the market and then re-invest in order to expand. Football of course is not a simple business for fans because of the emotion involved. As long as the club and business is stronger or at least as strong this season does it REALLY matter who plays on the park??!!

If as many think in here the club is in fire sale mode or more accurately asset stripping mode then people like Reed would be risking professional reputation by staying.

Our club has evolved over 5 years and it happened quicker than the plan and this has created the situation we have found ourselves in ( and by quirk of fate has coincided with a World Cup year). If we had been slower by a year as expected things might be different, but they are not.

This club certainly has ambition but I am sure that reality and pragmatism runs deep. The balance of creating players(product), getting results (market share) and generating revenue ( income ) is tough in any industry. Chuck in emotional fans (customers), in an age of instant communication and where rumour is easily spread (and equally believed) and leadership is a tricky skill.

When this window does shut it could be the best ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nail. Head.

The bit about us achieving our goals 'too quickly' is probably the most poignant. One year later and the World Cup wouldn't have acted as the 'head turning' catalyst it has possibly been to many of our players this summer.

Damn you Nigel Adkins for being TOO successful.... ;)

So far......it's not shut yet. As much as I can understand all the pessimism and doom and gloom I just have a sneaky feeling that this painful process is a revolution of the squad. We can debate the why's and the wherefore's of each sale and the overall effect but it's a waste of time now. The club has a strategy and whatever that looks like now we have to give them time to work it through. In a months time (if not a lot sooner) it will be clear what the strategy and ambition is.

Ronald Koeman is not a cheap option ( I suspect, we won't actually know) and he is certainly high profile. A club (business) intent on scaling down does not hire high calibre ambitious people.

If the ambition of the club is to just survive then we all know that's a dangerous game to play. And if this is the case then RK will be off. When you watch his interviews he looks genuinely happy to be here and very calm about player matters.

Whatever the reason(s) Cortese has gone. Some loved him, others mistrusted him, others merely tolerated his leadership because of the success. What we are not aware if is exactly how much impact influence and input Les Reed actually had on Football policy as opposed to business policy. The fact remains he has been here throughout, remains here and from my standpoint strikes me as a man who knows exactly what needs to happen how to do it and then does it. He deserves a bit of trust. Time will determine the reality.

Transforming a squad by selling popular and some of the best seems folly. Sometimes a business needs to sell at the peak of the market and then re-invest in order to expand. Football of course is not a simple business for fans because of the emotion involved. As long as the club and business is stronger or at least as strong this season does it REALLY matter who plays on the park??!!

If as many think in here the club is in fire sale mode or more accurately asset stripping mode then people like Reed would be risking professional reputation by staying.

Our club has evolved over 5 years and it happened quicker than the plan and this has created the situation we have found ourselves in ( and by quirk of fate has coincided with a World Cup year). If we had been slower by a year as expected things might be different, but they are not.

This club certainly has ambition but I am sure that reality and pragmatism runs deep. The balance of creating players(product), getting results (market share) and generating revenue ( income ) is tough in any industry. Chuck in emotional fans (customers), in an age of instant communication and where rumour is easily spread (and equally believed) and leadership is a tricky skill.

So much sense sent from a small phone keyboard... wow! :toppa:

I'd be inclined to give them more of the benefit of the doubt if we had unveiled more signings and agreed fewer players leaving - fundamentally the "none selling until there's a replacement signed up" is where it's going wrong. Cover that off and the players we sign are cheaper and more likely to come to begin with.

Tell us how this "none selling until there's a replacement signed up" works then, with a guarantee that we don't end up with both. Or neither.

When this window does shut it could be the best ever. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a really excellent post Marks SFC...this ought to be posted again every day, it would save the cost of nappies for the numerous bed-wetters on here :toppa:

Excellent post sir!

As others have said, nice summary.

Happy to try and believe this but we really need to see some players in the door now.

Slightly worried we are targeting players slightly above our station who, when they do sign for, say, Dortmund or Man Utd the club can say how they tried really hard but couldn't compete. And by the way, we've signed a Norwegian left back for 1.75m instead.

Now, aim high, that's fine but we really need some headcount in now.

And the "transfers take time" bit is a nice line of course but maybe we should have made our sales out feel a little less rapid, then.

Happy to try and believe this but we really need to see some players in the door now.

Slightly worried we are targeting players slightly above our station who, when they do sign for, say, Dortmund or Man Utd the club can say how they tried really hard but couldn't compete. And by the way, we've signed a Norwegian left back for 1.75m instead.

Now, aim high, that's fine but we really need some headcount in now.

And the "transfers take time" bit is a nice line of course but maybe we should have made our sales out feel a little less rapid, then.

I like to think:

1. We've agreed deals for players who are involved in CL qualification and so the actual transfers won't happen until that position is clear, and

2. We've agreed deals for players who were involved in the latter stages of the WC and so are still on their holibobs.

Perhaps all will become clear very soon.

I like to think:

1. We've agreed deals for players who are involved in CL qualification and so the actual transfers won't happen until that position is clear, and

2. We've agreed deals for players who were involved in the latter stages of the WC and so are still on their holibobs.

Perhaps all will become clear very soon.

Yeah, possibly. Hopefully. Unfortunately that reasoning also explains why the likes of Claisie and De Vrijs haven't signed for Dortmund/Man Utd either.

The Celtic players I am less worried about - Forster is about our level, ditto Van Dyk - so that could well be a CL qualification thing, which is fine.

Let's see what the next week or so brings. I have some hope but it has taken a severe knock.

Yeah, possibly. Hopefully. Unfortunately that reasoning also explains why the likes of Claisie and De Vrijs haven't signed for Dortmund/Man Utd either.

The Celtic players I am less worried about - Forster is about our level, ditto Van Dyk - so that could well be a CL qualification thing, which is fine.

Let's see what the next week or so brings. I have some hope but it has taken a severe knock.

I sense you a faltering ;)

Hard not to mate. Still, for me, they've got the whole window. I am happy to slate people as you know and I will say what I think come September.

what do you think we need. assuming chambers and lovren are gone within the next week and morgan with jrod stay.

me....

GK

LB

RB

CB

Wide Player

ST

Just cant see us getting that many. that would see us sign 8 players in one windown. Cant ever remember saints doing anything like that. Not since the heady days of mark hughes and stuart ripley. even that was 5 wasnt it?

2 or even 3 cb's for me,jos and to a lesser extent yoshida fill me with fear , if fonte goes or gets injured we are screwed

that is is. make that 9 players needed in one window

I can only see us like-for-liking with the exception of a wide player and keeper

what do you think we need. assuming chambers and lovren are gone within the next week and morgan with jrod stay.

me....

GK

LB

RB

CB

Wide Player

ST

Just cant see us getting that many. that would see us sign 8 players in one windown. Cant ever remember saints doing anything like that. Not since the heady days of mark hughes and stuart ripley. even that was 5 wasnt it?

Assuming the others stay...

LB, CB, Wide Player, ST minimum, and all of decent standard.

Goalie, and another to serve as decent quality CB/RB cover (or, someone better than Jose) are nice-to-have rather than essential.

It is far too many pkayers in one window, that's for sure. We'll see.

The problem is, Mark, that you're not basing your assumptions on evidence, but on hope. If the club really is planning for a great tomorrow, why is it a secret?

The problem is, Mark, that you're not basing your assumptions on evidence, but on hope. If the club really is planning for a great tomorrow, why is it a secret?

1. Why should they tell us their plans.

2. Why should they give their transfer targets away.

3. Why should they tell us?

They're asking us to up the offer by 5 millions. Greedy bar stewards. This is Portugal not England.!!

Bar stewards indeed! You got a link to this new bit of info Art?

We like to set massive fees for our players but may have to pay over the odds on some of our own targets I reckon.

We can forget about any hopes of signing De Vrij. Apparently he has agreed a deal with Lazio but also has Man Utd and Dortmund after him.

This isn't the Lazio deal that was agreed and then called off before our name was in the mix?

right, thought it was something you learnt in infants school, Manchester Utd targets don't sign for Saints.

If I'm honest I thought there may have been a very slight chance because of the Koeman factor and I still trusted we may have been aiming high. This weekends revelations of chambers and lovren probably to go on Monday has put paid to that though. Can't see why anyone half decent would want to come here at the moment.

If I'm honest I thought there may have been a very slight chance because of the Koeman factor and I still trusted we may have been aiming high. This weekends revelations of chambers and lovren probably to go on Monday has put paid to that though. Can't see why anyone half decent would want to come here at the moment.

Half decent ? plenty would want to come here, but not those who are pursued actively by Utd and their former national coach.