Ched Evans

Batman

He was convicted in a court of law who pronounced him guilty of rape. He is a rapist and as a footballer, he is a role model; what does this say to young supporters? it's totally fine to rape someone? whilst most on here would poo-poo this view, no matter if he's "served his time" or not and was the most remorseful man on the planet (which he is not). I wouldn't let him anywhere near a football pitch.

So no, I think everyone who has pulled out of Sheffield United are completely right to do so.

I don't think it matters if he was a footballer or a plasterer.

Sheff Utd should do the right thing and bin him. Let's face it he is a convicted rapist, so he cannot work in the community. There are certain jobs sex offenders are not allowed to have, nursing, teacher, social worker etc, football should come under this category in my opinion. Can you imagine if people are going around with Evans T shirts. I don't think any sponsor will hang around and they will lose celebrities involved with the club, we can already see this happening. I think as a club they will stand to lose more. Let's face it if he was an average defender he would have already gone, they are hanging on because he is a goal scorer IMO. However as the storm clouds gather, with the media hyping it up on a daily basis they will not keep him, unless the board all have elephant skin!

Not Saints' related.

It could be come 16 December!

He's served his time so should be allowed to live a normal life (although it would not kill him to show a little remorse!!!). Whether a club risks their own reputation by giving him a contract is another matter altogether and I think the Blades would be nuts to do it. Some of the songs currently being sung by the Piggy fans is disgusting as says as much about them as Ched.

There is another angle on this which may come out if there is ever an appeal which could explain why his wife is standing by him so publicly. Then again it might be just her way of coping with the worst nightmare of her life.

Why wasn't there the same clamour when Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick re-signed for clubs? Everytime I saw Hughes do that god-awful goal celebration I thought what a massive kick in the teeth for the family of the bloke he killed.

However, this precedent has been set. Why should Evans be treated differently?

Why wasn't there the same clamour when Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick re-signed for clubs? Everytime I saw Hughes do that god-awful goal celebration I thought what a massive kick in the teeth for the family of the bloke he killed.

However, this precedent has been set. Why should Evans be treated differently?

I seem to remember there was...........football is a results game, as they say, and some clubs will be desperate enough to give these people a go if it gets results and if they do well a lot of fans will let the past slide to.

I believe you are right. The very odd thing is that the other guy (also a footballer, or ex player?) who had sex with her - which I think was also not in debate - was not guilty. Either they both should be guilty of rape, or both not guilty

I'm a bit uneasy about the conviction when in all possibility she could have said she wanted but couldn't remember.

He was convicted in a court of law who pronounced him guilty of rape. He is a rapist and as a footballer, he is a role model; what does this say to young supporters? it's totally fine to rape someone? whilst most on here would poo-poo this view, no matter if he's "served his time" or not and was the most remorseful man on the planet (which he is not). I wouldn't let him anywhere near a football pitch.

So no, I think everyone who has pulled out of Sheffield United are completely right to do so.

If he had got off after being found guilty then you would have an argument for saying it sends out the message that it is fine to rape. The message it sends out is that if you are convicted of rape then you will be punished but that there is also a chance for rehabilitation afterwards which imo is the correct message unless you want to bring in the death penalty.

Edited by hypochondriac

If they've served their sentence, they should be allowed to get on with their lives and careers. Some of the reaction to Sheff Utd is wrong.

What should really be questioned is how low the original prison sentence was, but that's slightly another matter.

Please can we just not keep saying he has completed his sentence. He has two and a half years to go. His release is conditional. What I can't understand is how he has been released when he has shown no remorse and no appreciation of what he has done. The whole point of early release is supposed to be about reintegration. How can somebody be reintegrated into society when they don't think what they did was wrong? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Sheff Utd should do the right thing and bin him. Let's face it he is a convicted rapist, so he cannot work in the community. There are certain jobs sex offenders are not allowed to have, nursing, teacher, social worker etc, football should come under this category in my opinion. Can you imagine if people are going around with Evans T shirts. I don't think any sponsor will hang around and they will lose celebrities involved with the club, we can already see this happening. I think as a club they will stand to lose more. Let's face it if he was an average defender he would have already gone, they are hanging on because he is a goal scorer IMO. However as the storm clouds gather, with the media hyping it up on a daily basis they will not keep him, unless the board all have elephant skin!

The reason for barring convicted Sex offenders from working with children and the vulnerable is very different from football. It isn't really the same thing at all is it.

He has or more accurately is serving the punishment handed down by the court to ban him from football is part of this weird modern trend for the public to be outraged by everything. Yes he has been found guilty of a serious crime but why should he be banned from a well paid high profile job should bankers convicted of serious (non financial) crimes be banned from earning large sums?

He hasn't apologised because that would end his appeal as it would be an admission of guilt

and he clearly believes he is innocent of the charge. The case has always been an odd one as his co defendant was cleared of the same charge and it's interesting that the review has been fast tracked, if the conviction is overturned should he be allowed to play again or is the allegation enough to end his career?

I've got some excellent news for you. "Bankers" (not sure exactly what you mean by that term but I'm assuming Fund Managers, Brokers, Traders etc) are all CRB checked before being able to trade. There is no way a convicted nonce like Evans would ever be able to work for a financial institution.

Evans is a particularly disgusting, dirty rapist. I know about some of the sort of ****ed up things he thinks are normal from a mate that has spent a lot of time with him on trips. He's a huge wrongun. That aside, he's an unrepentant rapist that still hasn't completed his sentence. Sheffield United are harboring a rapist.

BTW some of the comments on here about a 19 year old girl being too drunk to give consent so is that or is that not rape are at best ignorant, at worst down right disturbing. The abuse the poor girl has received from Evans family and friends since the trial is horrendous.

Please can we just not keep saying he has completed his sentence. He has two and a half years to go. His release is conditional. What I can't understand is how he has been released when he has shown no remorse and no appreciation of what he has done. The whole point of early release is supposed to be about reintegration. How can somebody be reintegrated into society when they don't think what they did was wrong? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

If he genuinely thinks he is innocent why would he show remorse? If it were you would you show remorse if you believed you were innocent? Certainly before all legal avenues have been exhausted.

If they've served their sentence, they should be allowed to get on with their lives and careers. Some of the reaction to Sheff Utd is wrong.

What should really be questioned is how low the original prison sentence was, but that's slightly another matter.

It's not as if it's uncommon employers to run CRB checks on potential employees. Many can be refused work for crimes considered much less offensive (of course that is subjective - but probably unsurprising given my posting history I find rape extremely abhorrent).

I've known people to lose jobs over records for theft or carrying a small amount of drugs. Rape is, in my opinion, a much greater offence, and Evans will be going into a job many dream of doing and is in a position to be looked up to.

Personally, I wouldn't want him anywhere near football again.

By biggest problem with him is that he shows no remorse and is actually intent on hurting the victim further. His friends and family run a really nasty website, troll the victim, have named her publicly, and published videos of her that he and his mates took at the time. He doesn't deny having sex with her, his line of defence is pretty much": "She was so wasted (which me and my mates contributed to) that she couldn't say no, she was having sex with my mate whilst we were in the room (and videoing her) so I thought I'd join in without asking. How is that rape?".

The man is utter scum. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Of course the PFA are going to stand by him, they are a union for players - players pay their bills. It's unfortunate they stand behind these people, as I can't imagine they are desperate for fees from a L1 player, but there you go.

I've got some excellent news for you. "Bankers" (not sure exactly what you mean by that term but I'm assuming Fund Managers, Brokers, Traders etc) are all CRB checked before being able to trade. There is no way a convicted nonce like Evans would ever be able to work for a financial institution.

Evans is a particularly disgusting, dirty rapist. I know about some of the sort of ****ed up things he thinks are normal from a mate that has spent a lot of time with him on trips. He's a huge wrongun. That aside, he's an unrepentant rapist that still hasn't completed his sentence. Sheffield United are harboring a rapist.

BTW some of the comments on here about a 19 year old girl being too drunk to give consent so is that or is that not rape are at best ignorant, at worst down right disturbing. The abuse the poor girl has received from Evans family and friends since the trial is horrendous.

Who said that that isn't rape? I said that she herself didn't cry rape but that the jury interpreted as rape not that it wasn't. I'm not party to all the details of the case it will be interesting to see if an appeal succeeds.

If he say, wins an appeal in 10 years time and his conviction to thrown out. Would he be in a position to sue those who prevented him from playing for loss of earnings????

By those who prevented him I assume you mean the state, it's not Sheffield United (or anyone else in footballs) fault if the courts make a wrong decision, they can only work with what they know.

Something that puzzles about this case revolves around one of the “Key and Undisputed Facts” from the Ched Evans website:

On entering the room Ched said that he did not know what to expect but he quickly realised that his friend, Clayton, was engaged in sexual intercourse with a girl. In his evidence he stated that the door clunked behind him and this caused both Clayton and the complainant to turn around and to look at him. He said that he made direct eye contact with the complainant. At this point according to the evidence of both Clayton and Ched the question of whether Ched could “join in” was asked of the complainant, they both said that she replied with a positive “yeah”. Both of the accused thought that the other had asked the question but both agreed that the question was asked.

http://www.chedevans.com/key-and-undisputed-facts

Now, I’m assume the reason they can list this as an “undisputed” fact is because the girl in question cannot dispute it because she has, by her own account, no memory of that night as a result of being drunk, leaving us with only Ched Evans and his friend’s testimony to go on. The jury decided that the girl had not given consent, or was in no fit state to give consent, so found Evans guilty of rape. However, his friend was found not guilty of rape, so does this mean that the jury decided he had consensual sex with the girl? If so, then I’m puzzled how the jury can come to these, seemingly, differing conclusions.

It's not as if it's uncommon employers to run CRB checks on potential employees. Many can be refused work for crimes considered much less offensive (of course that is subjective - but probably unsurprising given my posting history I find rape extremely abhorrent).

I've known people to lose jobs over records for theft or carrying a small amount of drugs. Rape is, in my opinion, a much greater offence, and Evans will be going into a job many dream of doing and is in a position to be looked up to.

Personally, I wouldn't want him anywhere near football again.

By biggest problem with him is that he shows no remorse and is actually intent on hurting the victim further. His friends and family run a really nasty website, troll the victim, have named her publicly, and published videos of her that he and his mates took at the time. He doesn't deny having sex with her, his line of defence is pretty much": "She was so wasted (which me and my mates contributed to) that she couldn't say no, she was having sex with my mate whilst we were in the room (and videoing her) so I thought I'd join in without asking. How is that rape?".

The man is utter scum. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Of course the PFA are going to stand by him, they are a union for players - players pay their bills. It's unfortunate they stand behind these people, as I can't imagine they are desperate for fees from a L1 player, but there you go.

This x100! I see some people's arguments on this subject nothing short of a "Rohipnol Rapist Charter" where if the victim can't remember or was incapable of saying "NO" it can't be rape or at "best", the verdict would be unsafe.

Isn't rape a lack of consent...

Yes, but this is always something that really irks me. If a woman says yes when drunk, she's given her consent. Don't give me the whole "unable to" ********. Everything else you do when drunk - hitting someone, breaking something, driving - you are held responsible for. Why not giving consent as well?

People can often be drunk (see: over the limit) and appear perfectly normal, so how are you supposed to know if she's given her consent or doesn't know she's given consent?

Also, was Ched Evans stone cold sober? Or was he drunk as well, in which case surely he was unable to give consent and they were both raped...?

It's a ridiculous loophole that needs closing. People see drunk and straight away assume they'd unconcious (and in that situation it obviously IS rape!)

If a woman gives consent however, then that should be that. If she regrets it the next day well then tough sh*t, we've all done stuff we wish we hadn't when drunk but guess what - we chose to get drunk, we have to take responsibility for our decisions.

Apologies for going off on a tangent here!

Yes, but this is always something that really irks me. If a woman says yes when drunk, she's given her consent. Don't give me the whole "unable to" ********. Everything else you do when drunk - hitting someone, breaking something, driving - you are held responsible for. Why not giving consent as well?

People can often be drunk (see: over the limit) and appear perfectly normal, so how are you supposed to know if she's given her consent or doesn't know she's given consent?

Also, was Ched Evans stone cold sober? Or was he drunk as well, in which case surely he was unable to give consent and they were both raped...?

It's a ridiculous loophole that needs closing. People see drunk and straight away assume they'd unconcious (and in that situation it obviously IS rape!)

If a woman gives consent however, then that should be that. If she regrets it the next day well then tough sh*t, we've all done stuff we wish we hadn't when drunk but guess what - we chose to get drunk, we have to take responsibility for our decisions.

Apologies for going off on a tangent here!

Lol pray for men.

Spoken like a true sociopath.

So if you genuinely thought you were innocent of a crime you would be remorseful? Imagine if you were convicted of something you feel you didn't do then surely you wouldn't admit guilt. That doesn't denigrate the terrible crime of rape in any way and it's a shame you have wilfully misinterpreted my comments so that you get thick types screaming rape apologist. If ched Evans did it and he knows he did and is now lying then he deserves everything he gets, but in reality only he knows the truth, not the jury or even the girl involved.

Something that puzzles about this case revolves around one of the “Key and Undisputed Facts” from the Ched Evans website:

http://www.chedevans.com/key-and-undisputed-facts

Now, I’m assume the reason they can list this as an “undisputed” fact is because the girl in question cannot dispute it because she has, by her own account, no memory of that night as a result of being drunk, leaving us with only Ched Evans and his friend’s testimony to go on. The jury decided that the girl had not given consent, or was in no fit state to give consent, so found Evans guilty of rape. However, his friend was found not guilty of rape, so does this mean that the jury decided he had consensual sex with the girl? If so, then I’m puzzled how the jury can come to these, seemingly, differing conclusions.

Well it would appear she had given consent to the first guy as they were already having sex when Ched walk in. The point is did she consent to Ched joining in perhaps this was a step to far for her. They claim to have asked the victim if it was OK but neither of them can remember who asked the question. Just because the Victim was ok having sex with his mate doesn't mean it was OK for Ched to.

Well it would appear she had given consent to the first guy as they were already having sex when Ched walk in. The point is did she consent to Ched joining in perhaps this was a step to far for her. They claim to have asked the victim if it was OK but neither of them can remember who asked the question. Just because the Victim was ok having sex with his mate doesn't mean it was OK for Ched to.

If you read more on the link then she clearly gives consent further on (according to them) even telling Ched Evans what to do.

Sure, but why did the jury decide that she had given her consent to having sex with his friend when they only had his word to go on? The girl says that she has no recollection of the night.

Well yeah it's Ched's website a court of law disagreed with them

Impossible to prove either way really. It's clearly a difficult case since it's only ched and his mate who know what really happened and the girl clearly has no memory. If following an appeal his conviction is overturned, he is still an utter idiot for putting himself in that situation and I'm amazed his girlfriend is still with him.

Difficult one but rape is a very serious offence. Would we be okay with a convicted murderer picking up his football career if he got out of prison early? I do think he should be allowed to work again but I also think that any professional football club should say we do not want anyone convicted of a serious crime playing for us. I know he is saying he is innocent but he has been found guilty and until such time as the conviction is squashed on appeal, he is still guilty.

Difficult one but rape is a very serious offence. Would we be okay with a convicted murderer picking up his football career if he got out of prison early? I do think he should be allowed to work again but I also think that any professional football club should say we do not want anyone convicted of a serious crime playing for us. I know he is saying he is innocent but he has been found guilty and until such time as the conviction is squashed on appeal, he is still guilty.

Lee Hughes

Regardless, it is literally the only testimony/evidence. You're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but I am unable to see how he was proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt in this case.

That's a pretty dangerous attitude to take when it comes to rape.

How can any case of rape ever be proven 100%, beyond all shred of doubt? It's this reason why rape convictions are so low, and why women are often so reluctant to come forward. Can you imagine having to constantly re-tell the story of being sexually abused to a bunch of strangers, and then having your story torn to shreds and trying to discredit you in front of a court full of people. In this case the the victim is having t do so under even more intense scrutiny, and is having a website set up to attack her, being named publicly and trolled by friends family of her attacker.

It's a very hard balance to get. Obviously the accused should be able to defend themselves, and yes they should be innocent until proven guilty - but he was found guilty by the courts.

The evidence must have been strong enough for the jury.

Yeah but that isn't foolproof is it. Just finished reading law and disorder by John Douglas and the miscarriages of justice he talks about are very interesting. Not saying that is the case here, I guess we will find out at the conclusion of any appeal but even then you can rarely be certain about a crime like rape. The justice system is always very difficult, I'm glad I'm not responsible for it!

Edited by hypochondriac

Yeah but that isn't foolproof is it. Just finished reading law and disorder by John Douglas and the miscarriages of justice he talks about are very interesting. Not saying that is the case here, I guess we will find out at the conclusion of any appeal but even then you can rarely be certain about a crime like rape. The justice system is always very difficult, I'm glad I'm not responsible for it!

It is very difficult. I have worked with the Rape and Serious Sexual Offences unit for the CPS and it is not easy to get a conviction. Yes the system is far from foolproof but he has been convicted and as it stands is a convicted rapist.

I would never want a rapist or any player who had committed a sexual assult playing for saints. It is a tough one , becuse I though I do believe in serving time and second chances the sentence he served was an insult and he is in the public eye. Usually rapists , once released, will go get a job somewhere and the victim need never know of them again or to hear from them again... in this case, he is constantly in the media. Hopefully the only good to come out of this whole thing is that a lot of young lads see how it can mess up a footballing career and treat women with a lot more respect.

It's a tough topic to be making a call on when you don't know full facts of the case. But KevinsRightGlove summary of the difficulty of getting rape convictions says a lot. I think there is likely to be much more debate in the media around the predatory nature of some individuals around women who have had too much alcohol and aren't in control of their decisions...I've seen it so many times, and it's grotesque.

But much as the bulk of this conversation is good debate, it's still a bit weird to be reading some of these opinions on what is a Saints football forum. If I wanted to read opinions about rape, I'd read the comments section in the Daily Mail, which I don't because it just makes me feel depressed...

It's a tough topic to be making a call on when you don't know full facts of the case. But KevinsRightGlove summary of the difficulty of getting rape convictions says a lot. I think there is likely to be much more debate in the media around the predatory nature of some individuals around women who have had too much alcohol and aren't in control of their decisions...I've seen it so many times, and it's grotesque.

But much as the bulk of this conversation is good debate, it's still a bit weird to be reading some of these opinions on what is a Saints football forum. If I wanted to read opinions about rape, I'd read the comments section in the Daily Mail, which I don't because it just makes me feel depressed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvq6pH5Rheg

Having once playing up front with a person charged with rape and cleared on a technicality (the jury basically said something along the lines of we think he did it but can't prove it with the evidence given), who then proceeded to leave the area, I wonder what the other Sheffield United strikers think about potentially having to have him on their side. Footballing ability aside, it doesn't seem conducive to the kind of "in it together, us against the world" spirit you need to dedicate yourself to the kind of selfless tasks that make up a lot of successful football performances.

On the assumption that footballers in the main don't care about this kind of thing as long as they're getting paid and at worst are going to feel a bit awkward about it but just choose not to associate with them outside "work", and so it doesn't affect their motivation, I'm still thinking it's a load of controversy Sheffield United don't need for the benefit they'd get from Evans playing.

That was before the sponsors started pulling the plug, which could easily cost them more than he'd make them with a promotion (and he's already cost them one promotion from L1 by getting put away in the first place).

Perhaps people can put up a list of jobs that it is acceptable for him to do as it seems the one he has trained for all his life is now out of bounds. Or perhaps people can decide which Crimes mean you're free to carry on in the public eye and which ones aren't.

Regardless of what people think about the bloke and the serious nature of his crime he's entitled to carry on with his life now having been punished for his crime. It's easy to be hysterical and demonise people, demanding he spends the rest of his life on the dole but it doesn't matter one jot if the blokes the biggest c*** on earth or not, he's been punished according to the law and is now free to carry on his life. If individual clubs don't want to employ him for moral reasons then that is their decision.

If that is morally right or not is another issue but according to the law of the land and the society we live in, which by the way many of you are so to quick to laud as fantastic that it's so equal and free when it suits you, is how it is. You can't have it both ways. Or perhaps we should allow mob rule to apply in this instance?

Edited by Turkish

Shouldn't be allowed back, pro footballers are role models.

He's fully entitled to a career and rehabilitation after his sentence, just not one where he is a role model to kids.

So basically "don't be good at anything" then?

I really don't know who decided footballers are role models, but could they stop assuming that means they're going to be behaviourally appropriate in every situation?

A disturbing level of dedication to a specific cause is not always a positive characteristic, whether it's superfit athlete or driven business person.

Taking the positives from one situation (footballing ability) and applying them to a completely different set of circumstances (social behaviour) is frankly a little bit stupid. And, no, I'm not suggesting that people can't be good at both, I'm saying that the idea of "role model" needs to come with a large set of qualifiers and caveats - and maybe a bit of common sense.