Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 1-1 Ipswich Town

Saint-Armstrong

Man of the Match v Ipswich Town  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v Ipswich Town

Worst result for both sides. Nightmare.

Ipswich fans seemed very pleased with a draw.

Strange game. Second half we had complete control but hardly created anything. Feel sorry for Pelle at times who has to feed off scraps. Thought Davis was brilliant, Wanyama too. Isgrove was impressive when he came on. Tadic was poor, especially 2nd half. Slows down the play so much.

JWP at RWB just didn't work. Seemed to me we couldn't fit him in the team but wanted him on the pitch for set pieces so stuck him there. Would have put Bertrand there with Targett on the left.

Personally think we have the perfect players for the 352/532 system and should run with it. Makes Pelle far more effective.

I thought we played pretty well, completely bossed the game, against a pretty decent Ipswich side. We weren't at 100%, but weren't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

I thought Wanyama was excellent.

Ward Prowse struggled a bit at right back.

Pelle does need a break, we really could do with another option for him.

Pretty poor from Saints: Dave Merrington, I think, had it spot on that we don't threaten enough when Pelle is the lone front man. Look how good Saints have been with Mane off Pelle: we'll miss him for sure.

We just don't create enough with just Pelle up front - and not convinced Long is the answer to anything, despite how hard he works.

Really hope we try and get another proven striker in during the window.

Amazing how it changes in the space of two weeks, after Sheff U , Mane was dog sh!t acoording to most on here, now he's hailed a saviour and irreplaceable !!

Agree about Long, and the hope for a new striker, preferably one who scores goals.

We heaped enormous pressure on Ipswich for a long spell in each half but they handled it very well and we didn't do enough to create good chances. Nobody could find the moment (or movement) of inspiration to unpick them, though Davis was threatening. Pelle had a lot of good ideas but couldn't execute them for one reason or another.

Gardos was shakey and let one of them walk past him into a shooting position in the first half. Ward-Prowse also had a few moments but otherwise we were okay defensively.

Most disappointing is how casually we played and passed the ball before Ipswich scored, you could tell we were switched to 80 per cent effort. Luckily the goal woke us up and on another day we'd have won comfortably.

Small criticism of Koeman's team selection, which I've had in the past - no options off the bench. I guess the ultimate idea is play your best team, get the game won and then start to rest players, but there just isn't enough of an option of changing things off the bench.

Having said that, for what it's worth, I thought Isgrove was good.

Small criticism of Koeman's team selection, which I've had in the past - no options off the bench. I guess the ultimate idea is play your best team, get the game won and then start to rest players, but there just isn't enough of an option of changing things off the bench.

Having said that, for what it's worth, I thought Isgrove was good.

Agree, was the same for the Villa away game where Tadic, Long, Pelle and Mane all started.

Would ideally have Long as an impact sub, he is better against tiring defenders.

But without Mane or Elia we didnt have a lot of recognised forward options. Still a striker light IMO.

Agree, was the same for the Villa away game where Tadic, Long, Pelle and Mane all started.

Would ideally have Long as an impact sub, he is better against tiring defenders.

But without Mane or Elia we didnt have a lot of recognised forward options. Still a striker light IMO.

I felt if we'd had the option of Mane or probably Elia it would have offered enough to get that extra goal today. We should have at least one of them available going forward from now, plus hopefully Rodriguez at some point and Koeman has stated on record we're looking to bring in an attacker.

We need an alternative to Pelle, its a huge workload he has already got through this season and we are so reliable on him/his role.

I felt if we'd had the option of Mane or probably Elia it would have offered enough to get that extra goal today. We should have at least one of them available going forward from now, plus hopefully Rodriguez at some point and Koeman has stated on record we're looking to bring in an attacker.

We need an alternative to Pelle, its a huge workload he has already got through this season and we are so reliable on him/his role.

Very true. I could be wrong but I barely remember him being subbed off even for a few minutes in any game, meaning the only time he's missed was Sheffeld Utd when he was suspended.

Seemed to be getting quite frustrated at times today possibly because he thought this game was a chance to notch a goal. Just looked and he's only scored 2 in the last 13. He himself said he hates not scoring so it must be playing on his mind. Maybe a rest would help get the sharpness back, problem is I don't see him getting one unless we change tactics or get in another striker.

There does seem to be a problem at RB with the cover for Clyne being one of the CBs so that with Yoshida away and Toby not fully fit, Koeman wasn't prepared to trust McCarthy but having just seen the stats for the game it does look as if luck played a big part. 66% possession for Saints and no corners at all for Ipswich tells a story that in most matches would have been reflected in the score line.

Just to clear up the Long penalty incident- it was DEFINITELY in the box-had a great view from the Chapel.

Long's slide marks dragged from about a yard in the box, and was pushed about 2 yards in the box to about 3 yards out of it.

That linesman had a shocker all day, missed the most blatant Ipswich throw in in the second half. Comical

Putting the Cup v League Prioritisation argument to one side, it is just a ridiculous run of fixtures we'll have next week now given the squad we have available,amount of travelling alone is crazy.

Reckon we will see a tired performance up at newcastle from us

Putting the Cup v League Prioritisation argument to one side, it is just a ridiculous run of fixtures we'll have next week now given the squad we have available,amount of travelling alone is crazy.

True to a point,but we'd better get used to it, if we seriously crave for European football of any sort in the next year or so.

True to a point,but we'd better get used to it, if we seriously crave for European football of any sort in the next year or so.

If we qualify for Europe then I would expect us to increase the depth of our squad. So we can't really compare playing 3 games in a week this season with next season (if it happens). Yes, we've "got to get used to it" but not with the current squad.

If we qualify for Europe then I would expect us to increase the depth of our squad. So we can't really compare playing 3 games in a week this season with next season (if it happens). Yes, we've "got to get used to it" but not with the current squad.
Exactly, we'd strengthen the squad accordingly you would expect.

Going Sun Manchester - Weds Ipswich - Sat Newcastle is ridiculous really.

Just back from the game.

Thought we were poor for the first half hour. JWP, playing at right wing back, struggled with his positioning and lacks the pace to play there imho. Cost us the goal. To be fair, in the second half he had obviously been told to push much further forward and there was a huge improvement.

I thought Fonte and Gardos both had solid games and Bertrand did well too.

For me, the first half hour was the poorest I have seen Morgan play. He looked disinterested. After about half an hour he made a good run in behind their left back and that seemed to kick start his game. It needed it.

Tadic had a quiet night and it was noticeable that when he was replaced by Isgrove there was suddenly much more impetus to our play. I thought Isgrove was one of the bright points of a pretty dismal show really. He showed pace, tenacity and a hunger to receive the ball that most of our play otherwise lacked.

MOTM : Big Vic. Again. Best player on the park by some distance this evening.

Davis also had a much better game than he has of late. Some lovely turns and touches in the second half.

Pelle had a mare. Would have been better off resting him. And I'm not one to have a go normally.

Long did ok, put in a lot of work running the channels and threatened to get behind their defence on occasion, but there was a distinct lack of clear chances. Easy to big up the absentees but I think Mane would have had a field day.

Generally, we were not good enough in the final third and too ponderous getting there. Ipswich were there for the taking at the back and we didn't create enough to take advantage of it.

A quick word about the ref:

Sh*te. Again.

If we play anywhere near our best in the replay we should beat them comfortably.

spot on, don't forget Isgrove played v/well, should have given Seager a go.

Atmosphere was rubbish today caused largely by the manner in which our most vocal home supporters are split usunder by the stupid seating policy for away fans. Give them half the Itchen or find a way to herd them in the Chapel. Add this to kids spilling coke all over the place and for me the enjoyment of the occasion was spoilt.

As far as the team were concerned I thought they all had a fair game except Tadic who was just a waste of a jersey today - Isgrove was far better and into the game.

Incidentally, as far as Morgan is concerned, I've been told he's off this window. Not sure I believe it, but the source (friend of a coach) seems believable.

You weren't in the family stand by chance?

I've just watched MOTD. how on earth was that first challenge on Long not a penalty?

He got hacked down in the box against everton as well.

But it evens out. We could easily have lost against chelsea if a pen decision hadn't gone our way.

You weren't in the family stand by chance?

I was in Block 12 (Itchen/Chapel corner) and I had pretty much the same experience. It's not hard to be outsung when you've got 5k travelling fans, but giving them the whole Northam end just removes any chance of a good atmosphere from us. Got to give Ipswich credit though, they were very good apart from the several renditions of 'oh when the town'. What the **** is that all about?!

On the game - they didn't come out to try to win it 2nd half, stuck 10 men behind the ball and defended well, we ran out of ideas. Not the last time that'll happen this season. Our balls into the box weren't good enough so we tried to play through the middle too much and got crowded out. I was calling for more width in the last 20 mins, I thought we'd have got a breakthrough eventually but we didn't do enough.

Wanyama bossed it again, Davis class again, Fonte and Toby were strong and Isgrove looked great when he came on. Tadic disappointing again, not enough urgency from him, and Pelle couldn't find the chances he needs. Frustrating.

It was a pretty dull affair tbh, apart from a 10 minute spell around our goal we were in 2nd gear for the whole match.

We kept on crossing the ball in even though the Ipswich defence won the aerial battle fairly comfortably, we needed to mix it up but the players seemed to have a real reluctance to shoot.

TBH we looked like a team that wanted to win but with the minimum effort and football doesn't work like that, you've got to go out with 100% commitment.

Ipswich were typical Mick McCarthy, solid but unspectacular. McGoldrick did absolutely nothing for them.

Still think we'll win the replay if we really want it, we are comfortably a better team than them a replay is a real pain and we should have seen them off at SMS.

I

On the game - they didn't come out to try to win it 2nd half, stuck 10 men behind the ball and defended well, we ran out of ideas. Not the last time that'll happen this season. Our balls into the box weren't good enough so we tried to play through the middle too much and got crowded out. I was calling for more width in the last 20 mins, I thought we'd have got a breakthrough eventually but we didn't do enough.

Wanyama bossed it again, Davis class again, Fonte and Toby were strong and Isgrove looked great when he came on. Tadic disappointing again, not enough urgency from him, and Pelle couldn't find the chances he needs. Frustrating.

Oops Toby Didn't play. Gardos

It was a pretty dull affair tbh, apart from a 10 minute spell around our goal we were in 2nd gear for the whole match.

We kept on crossing the ball in even though the Ipswich defence won the aerial battle fairly comfortably, we needed to mix it up but the players seemed to have a real reluctance to shoot.

TBH we looked like a team that wanted to win but with the minimum effort and football doesn't work like that, you've got to go out with 100% commitment.

Ipswich were typical Mick McCarthy, solid but unspectacular. McGoldrick did absolutely nothing for them.

Still think we'll win the replay if we really want it, we are comfortably a better team than them a replay is a real pain and we should have seen them off at SMS.

Saints were probably a bit tired after a tough xmas/new year run of games

We will more than likely see a drab performance away to newcastle

Saints were probably a bit tired after a tough xmas/new year run of games

We will more than likely see a drab performance away to newcastle

Or maybe we won't. I'm sure the highly professional physios, conditioning staff and coaches we have at our disposal will make sure the team is properly prepared for an important, winnable Premier League game.

Or maybe we won't. I'm sure the highly professional physios, conditioning staff and coaches we have at our disposal will make sure the team is properly prepared for an important, winnable Premier League game.

The players are not robots

3 away games in a single week. Crazy really

Whilst doing Manchester-Ipswich-Newcastle in 6 days seems "ridiculous" as many put it ..... how do you think we'd cope in the Europa Cup? I am assuming you don't want us to qualify for Europe then? If we did, we could end up doing Manchester-Eastern Europe-Newcastle in 7 days which is a hell of a lot more travelling.

We've used St Georges Park already this season between matches ... I'd expect us to do the same, probably between Ipswich and Newcastle.

The players are not robots

3 away games in a single week. Crazy really

Could have been three home games but thats the way the fixture list is and the balls come out the bowl. As they now have seven days rest / training before the Manure game I cannot really see a problem for proffessional sportsman to complete 270 minutes of football in seven days not allowing for Fergie time or extra time in the Ipswich game plus penalties.

Whilst doing Manchester-Ipswich-Newcastle in 6 days seems "ridiculous" as many put it ..... how do you think we'd cope in the Europa Cup? I am assuming you don't want us to qualify for Europe then? If we did, we could end up doing Manchester-Eastern Europe-Newcastle in 7 days which is a hell of a lot more travelling.

We've used St Georges Park already this season between matches ... I'd expect us to do the same, probably between Ipswich and Newcastle.

We'd cope by having to have a bigger and better squad than we do now

Look at the size of Spurs squad and we are above them whilst they Are in the uefa cup. Newcastle a few years ago and everton now show that you need a pretty big squad of decent quality to cope

If we didn't add quality to the squad in all positions we would feel the heat

He got hacked down in the box against everton as well.

But it evens out. We could easily have lost against chelsea if a pen decision hadn't gone our way.

Quite true, but what annoys me is that the papers are full of the Chelsea/Fàbregas incident but hardly a mention of last night's two.

Glad they'll get a decent rest before Man U. I'm sure tiredness played a part yesterday. I can't understand why Ipswich didn't make more effort to try to win this one; with 46 league games and second in the table, I'd have thought they would want a replay as much as we do. I wouldn't have a go at Pelle because he must be knackered, playing 90 mins in every game, usually up against 2 physical central defenders, it's just the lack of alternatives. It's a shame Liverpool wouldn't let Ricky come back to us on loan, seeing us as rivals rather than relegation fodder, but if he could have shared the workload with Pelle, this would have been ideal.

Ipswich packed 10 men behind the ball, and then you need a ball to break for you in the box, without a player with that something extra. Looking forward to seeing our new signing. He'll be fresh and fast, just what we need.

Don't you recall how many matches we had to play in the Championship? Maybe not 3 away in a row but often 3 a week. I expect the team will stay away so not too much travelling.
How exactly can you do Manchester, Ipswich and Newcastle in 7 days with "not too much travelling"? :lol:

Is Manchester-Eastern Europe-Newcastle really that much heavier a travel schedule than Manchester-Ipswich-Newcastle? It would take a good 4 hours by road between Ipswich and the other two games whereas if you flew to (say) Warsaw or Bucharest it would only be a couple of hours.

I'd expect us to adjust our squad accordinngly if we made Europe. And it'd still be very rare to have two of the longest away trips of the year, with an away trip midweek in between. And we'd still find it a right effort and struggle across the three games.

Quite true, but what annoys me is that the papers are full of the Chelsea/Fàbregas incident but hardly a mention of last night's two.

Could be partly down to Big Ron declining to comment on the incident, while that c*nt mourinho is making headlines bleating endlessly about a conspiracy against chelski. He really is fast becoming the new ferguson.

Don't you recall how many matches we had to play in the Championship? Maybe not 3 away in a row but often 3 a week. I expect the team will stay away so not too much travelling.

Something that always seems to work well, as per Sunderland last season and Sheff Utd this season.

Cheers for saving me typing this. :D

Ipswich packed 10 men behind the ball, and then you need a ball to break for you in the box, without a player with that something extra. Looking forward to seeing our new signing. He'll be fresh and fast, just what we need.

Apart from the fact Ronald said he is not fully fit due to lack of matches this season so far.

Surely they will fly to Manc and Toon. Shorter travel time than London if they do.

I doubt it, door to door. Staplewood to a posh Cheshire hotel, including a flight from Southampton to Manchester, would be somewhere around 4 hours.

Something that always seems to work well, as per Sunderland last season and Sheff Utd this season.

How much of that was down to travelling against the wrong attitude though? We do seem to raise our game against the better teams and switch off in matches we think we will walk through.