Champions League - Can we do it?

Saint Garrett

Err, Europa League.

Well done on the capital E on European. Progress.

I meant if two English teams win the two European cups and neither finish in the top 4 of the league. I was wondering if there was a limit on the number of teams from any one country.

Capital Es because they're not languages ;)

I meant if two English teams win the two European cups and neither finish in the top 4 of the league. I was wondering if there was a limit on the number of teams from any one country.

Yes. Five. They would bump the fourth place team out of the Champion's League. (Capital C and L--not languages.)

Capital E for English too.

You're getting the hang of this English language. Well done.

If I made a mistake I would be the first to admit it. If it ever happened ;)

I take it you're not married?

You don't have to admit to something for it be a mistake. Some things just are.

Anyway. You've made your mistake and we all move on.

It's a heck of a lot of effort to avoid admitting you made a typo on a football forum. But good luck to you.

Didn't you once indicate that you only posted for the benefit of four or five unnamed posters that were the only people you respected on here?

Think you need to pander to a wider collection of patrons, nipper. None of your heroes lent you a vote in the TMS awards, unless whelk is one of them.

Didn't you once indicate that you only posted for the benefit of four or five unnamed posters that were the only people you respected on here?

Think you need to pander to a wider collection of patrons, nipper. None of your heroes lent you a vote in the TMS awards, unless whelk is one of them.

No idea what you're talking about. It sounds like something I might say, though. Go me.

Very cute how much you value winning a forum award. You're pretty "special" ain't cha?

No idea what you're talking about. It sounds like something I might say, though. Go me.

Very cute how much you value winning a forum award. You're pretty "special" ain't cha?

Of course you don't, but I appreciate this succinct display of your abilities.

Amnesia seems to be your only defence of your previous content these days.

In truth, your inconsistencies are at best, the unfiltered rollercoaster emotions of a man who can't make up his mind, and at worst, the demonic possession of a Southampton supporter that is the harbinger for the coming apocalypse.

I'm going to (for once) slice this cake with Occam's razor. It's obviously a bloke that chats so much sh!t that he can't remember what he said.

Of course you don't, but I appreciate this succinct display of your abilities.

Amnesia seems to be your only defence of your previous content these days.

In truth, your inconsistencies are at best, the unfiltered rollercoaster emotions of a man who can't make up his mind, and at worst, the demonic possession of a Southampton supporter that is the harbinger for the coming apocalypse.

I'm going to (for once) slice this cake with Occam's razor. It's obviously a bloke that chats so much sh!t that he can't remember what he said.

That's nice, dear.

We can do it. If anything stops us apart from a ludicrous upturn in form from other contenders it will be squad size and inability to deal with the unavailability of our key players.

We only have one striker capable of scoring, for starters.

Competitors nearly all have 3 strikers that are pretty decent.

If spurs won europa would 4th not get Champo?

I'm still not 100%, but this article suggest that 4th would still qualify.

• Performances in domestic leagues will be rewarded. If a national cup winner has booked a UEFA Champions League spot, the highest-ranked club in their domestic league not already qualified for the UEFA Europa League will qualify for the competition; national cup runners-up no longer qualify.

• The maximum number of clubs from one association that can qualify for the UEFA Champions League is increased to five.

You don't have to admit to something for it be a mistake. Some things just are.

Anyway. You've made your mistake and we all move on.

A mistake is not a mistake if it's deliberate, and here I have the advantage over you in that I know what I was thinking when I made that original post and you don't. You never will, all you can do is project your own motives on another's actions, which is never reliable. Anyway, in the words of the song:

If spurs won europa would 4th not get Champo?

My reading of the rules is that 4th place will get a CL two-legged qualifying game, unless BOTH of the following happen:

1. An English team wins the Champions League but fails to finish in the top four (Arsenal, basically) AND

2. An English team wins Europa League and fails to finish in the top four (Spurs, Everton, Liverpool?)

If both of those happen, then the 4th placed team gets Europa League, as we are only allowed a max of 5 teams from England in the CL.

A full, more detailed (and, no doubt, better informed) analysis has been written up by Redslo on his blog.

A mistake is not a mistake if it's deliberate, and here I have the advantage over you in that I know what I was thinking when I made that original post and you don't. You never will, all you can do is project your own motives on another's actions, which is never reliable. Anyway, in the words of the song:

You don't get to decide that spelling English with a small e isn't a mistake. It is. Let it go.

They're only short term Alps we're fortunate like that. We're also playing a fairly easy run at the moment.

Wouldn't say Newcastle away, Swansea home and QPR away are exactly "fairly easy". To stay on track we would need to win two of the games which is easier said than done which the few options we have now.

The centr mid two are vital to our game, especially away from home.

Wouldn't say Newcastle away, Swansea home and QPR away are exactly "fairly easy". To stay on track we would need to win two of the games which is easier said than done which the few options we have now.

The centre mid two are vital to our game, especially away from home.

It is better than Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd no?

The centre mid two are vital to our game, especially away from home.

Obviously yes. But "fairly easy" no.

Newcastle at SJP have beaten some top sides, Swansea are an excellent team and could have some new signings in with the Bony money.

QPR's home record is also good and the only thing stopping them from being cut adrift.

As I said earlier on the thread, the main thing that will stop us is squad size. And that will be tested over the next three to four weeks until Yoshida, Mane, Toby and Morgan are available again.

Any significant absence for Pelle and we have no chance unless we sign another striker.

The belief and momentum is going there. Koeman is a motivator and he has proven to be an astute tactician. The talent is there. I think we are far stronger mentally, than Arsenal, Tottenham and Utd this season.

The issue we have, imo, is hamstrings.

If we can keep Wanpanzer, and Alderwerock and also Schenidergun'shamstrings intact, we are undoubtedly in with a shout.

The belief and momentum is going there. Koeman is a motivator and he has proven to be an astute tactician. The talent is there. I think we are far stronger mentally, than Arsenal, Tottenham and Utd this season.

The issue we have, imo, is hamstrings.

If we can keep Wanpanzer, and Alderwerock and also Schenidergun'shamstrings intact, we are undoubtedly in with a shout.

I have heard that the use of excessively cute, but warlike, nicknames can weaken the hamstrings. Careful.

Seeing as ManU are going to bid for Clyne in this window "to boost their Champions League hopes", I suggest we:

- set a £50m price on him

- submit a cheeky bid for De Gea as backup GK and Falcao (covering 10% wages) and Shaw (£5m)..... All to boost our CL aspirations.

I don't think we can afford that.

I think United going for Clyne is just paper talk, I can't understand why he'd go there either, got just as much chance of getting into the CL with us as with United.

If we actually do get into the Champions League I think there might be a few confused and disappointed people on here.

If we actually do get into the Champions League I think there might be a few confused and disappointed people on here.

There's always a few confused and disappointed people on here. Bet had we had beaten Sheff Utd they would now be moaning about fixture congestion of playing Spurs midweek.

The fact that if we come 6th will feel slightly disappointing - I know it shouldn't but can't help hoping for CL now..

Injuries haven't helped but at same time some players are getting enforced break while others getting game time and experience they may not have had otherwise. So some positives.

Always look to bookies and we are 6/4, to finish in top 4

Find it hard to be rational and objective when predicting our finish.

There is still something that stops me picturing us finishing 3rd or 4th....just seems too much like we are dreaming (Turkish, who tends to be one of more level headed posters with where we are etc, was saying last season we are light years away from Everton, i would think they would be doing well if they were 3rd at this stage, so how do people see us?).

We are now over half a season gone, so would be foolish to discount the possibility of finishing where we are...if we were in bottom

three I am sure people would say that a lot of season gone so good chance will stay there.

Bookies generally seem to have us finishing 5th, in a big market like this they are probably fairly objective. Still would be amazing climb, league 1, championship, 14th (?), 8th, 5th and European football.

Still seems bit to good to be true.

The time we were going to be found out was over festive period, mid winter, playing every couple of days, squad stretched, injuries, suspensions and hard fixtures..... However we were top of the paddy power festive table with arsenal, Everton, palace wins and Chelsea draw.

We have rarely seemed lucky gaining points when spurs and man u seemed to have performed badly and gained points with sending offs, penalties, late deflected goals etc...all count but we seem pretty consistent.

Who has played better? Maybe just two teams.

Team with best defensive record nearly always finishes in top 4.

Teams chasing us..west ham, Liverpool, spurs still to come to St Marys.

Rather than fading we are 2nd to Man C in current form.

We are, with goal difference, 4 points ahead of 5th...who play man city.

We are 8 ahead of 8th and playing better.

Can we finish 3rd....yes fair chance.

Will we ridiculously feel slightly disappointed with 5th/6th? Probably!

Can I picture us keeping on winning and staying top 4? No, just as it doesn't seem right.

I can't see us being as 8th, or high as 2nd...so will be great season, trying to enjoy battle for 3rd without feeling disappointed if we drop to 6th!

Finally, back to bookies, good chance of 3rd/4th but most likely 5th/6th.

Find it hard to be rational and objective when predicting our finish.

There is still something that stops me picturing us finishing 3rd or 4th....just seems too much like we are dreaming (Turkish, who tends to be one of more level headed posters with where we are etc, was saying last season we are light years away from Everton, i would think they would be doing well if they were 3rd at this stage, so how do people see us?).

We are now over half a season gone, so would be foolish to discount the possibility of finishing where we are...if we were in bottom

three I am sure people would say that a lot of season gone so good chance will stay there.

Bookies generally seem to have us finishing 5th, in a big market like this they are probably fairly objective. Still would be amazing climb, league 1, championship, 14th (?), 8th, 5th and European football.

Still seems bit to good to be true.

The time we were going to be found out was over festive period, mid winter, playing every couple of days, squad stretched, injuries, suspensions and hard fixtures..... However we were top of the paddy power festive table with arsenal, Everton, palace wins and Chelsea draw.

We have rarely seemed lucky gaining points when spurs and man u seemed to have performed badly and gained points with sending offs, penalties, late deflected goals etc...all count but we seem pretty consistent.

Who has played better? Maybe just two teams.

Team with best defensive record nearly always finishes in top 4.

Teams chasing us..west ham, Liverpool, spurs still to come to St Marys.

Rather than fading we are 2nd to Man C in current form.

We are, with goal difference, 4 points ahead of 5th...who play man city.

We are 8 ahead of 8th and playing better.

Can we finish 3rd....yes fair chance.

Will we ridiculously feel slightly disappointed with 5th/6th? Probably!

Can I picture us keeping on winning and staying top 4? No, just as it doesn't seem right.

I can't see us being as 8th, or high as 2nd...so will be great season, trying to enjoy battle for 3rd without feeling disappointed if we drop to 6th!

Finally, back to bookies, good chance of 3rd/4th but most likely 5th/6th.

I did say that,but I said we were a long way behind Everton tWo years ago, not last season, I said it when we were in a relegation battle and they were challenging for the top 6, this was true then and was also the time when you said the team which was only safe from relegation on the penultimate game of the season was good enough for 6th. Since then they've gone into decline and we've improved beyond recognition. So yet again you've lied. I'm not surprised you can't imagine us in the top 4, how's your top 6 form 5 points from 11 games or whatever it was working out?

We can do it. If anything stops us apart from a ludicrous upturn in form from other contenders it will be squad size and inability to deal with the unavailability of our key players.

We only have one striker capable of scoring, for starters.

Competitors nearly all have 3 strikers that are pretty decent.

I know he is not prolific but Long does score goals, as does Mane. Would like to see another decent striker signed though.

I know he is not prolific but Long does score goals, as does Mane. Would like to see another decent striker signed though.

regards to league games, we are lucky that it is FA cup next weekend. Morgan, Toby and less so vic will be back soon after that

I am sure that Koeman, inwardly is thinking totally different to most of on here. His focus is probably can we catch Chelsea and Man City with the way we are playing. So far they are the only two better sides than us in the Premier League. We demonstrated against Chelsea that we are a match for them. We demonstrated against Arsenal and Man U that we are BETTER than them. Our defence has been amazingly consistent but lets not forget that we are also the fourth highest scorers too with goals from all the team.

4th will be a disappointment. We should AIM to be top

Fanciful?

I am sure that Koeman, inwardly is thinking totally different to most of on here. His focus is probably can we catch Chelsea and Man City with the way we are playing. So far they are the only two better sides than us in the Premier League. We demonstrated against Chelsea that we are a match for them. We demonstrated against Arsenal and Man U that we are BETTER than them. Our defence has been amazingly consistent but lets not forget that we are also the fourth highest scorers too with goals from all the team.

4th will be a disappointment. We should AIM to be top

Fanciful?

Considering he's always talking about how even he didn't expect us to do this well and that we take it one game at a time, I really doubt he's thinking about catching City and Chelsea. I think it was Steven Davis who said recently that they won't even start thinking about it unless we're still there halfway through february?

I did say that,but I said we were a long way behind Everton tWo years ago, not last season, I said it when we were in a relegation battle and they were challenging for the top 6, this was true then and was also the time when you said the team which was only safe from relegation on the penultimate game of the season was good enough for 6th. Since then they've gone into decline and we've improved beyond recognition. So yet again you've lied. I'm not surprised you can't imagine us in the top 4, how's your top 6 form 5 points from 11 games or whatever it was working out?

Not answering all of your post, but just to say if read tone of how I spoke about your comments they are clearly not critical or antagonistic... If anything complimentary.

Reason not answering all your post is so I'm not tempted into any boring tit for tat squabbles that ruin too many threads, often same few people .

There are two or three people who seek to troll others with false claims. If you take offense at reference above I'm sorry...I can't edit but was passing comment to make point. I was pretty sure you made comments about Everton last season when we were doing well and people talked about breaking into top 7, doesn't make much difference but if you say you didn't so be it.

Not going to ruin thread correcting what we all know is wind up.

At least makes change, for years of being happy clapper I'm now told I am negative! Lol

Enjoy your weekend of football