Morgan's double money offer

lambjo1976

According to FM 2015, he is making 34K per week. Doubling that would cost an additional 1.8 million a year. This would make him our highest paid player. That can easily be covered by this year's trading profits and still keep the club well under the salary cap.

We can afford to pay a few players high wages--just not as high as the bigger clubs and we cannot pay everyone those kind of wages. Just to illustrate FM 2015 says that Manchester United has 17 players on their roster making more than Schneiderlin would be making if Southampton doubled his salary. This includes, by the way, Luke Shaw whom they believe is making 110K per week. Arsenal has 14 players making more--yet Arsenal's salaries as a whole are much lower than Manchester United, but I digress.

My point is that FFP does not stop us from signing Schneiderlin, Clyne, and Alderweireld to big contracts--we just can't sign everyone to big contracts. And if we can afford to pay Schneiderlin an additional 1.8 million a year, Arsenal can afford to pay him an additional 1.8 million a year beyond that and Manchester United can afford another 1.8 million on top of that.

Appreciate that clear explanation, which sort of highlights the fact that WE CAN pay the best players the sort of wages to compete the with so called big clubs. We know we have the money and it's not like we are going to pay Stevee D 120k per week, but as for the players you mentioned, we could. Sort of goes back to the boards ambition, to be honest, MS doubling his money here is hardly big, surely the other clubs are going bigger than that? Not sure 60/70k is an ambitious offer.

Appreciate that clear explanation, which sort of highlights the fact that WE CAN pay the best players the sort of wages to compete the with so called big clubs. We know we have the money and it's not like we are going to pay Stevee D 120k per week, but as for the players you mentioned, we could. Sort of goes back to the boards ambition, to be honest, MS doubling his money here is hardly big, surely the other clubs are going bigger than that? Not sure 60/70k is an ambitious offer.

We need the board to show the ambition of the previous CEO who spent £27m on two attacking player paying one of them 2 million euros a year nett and another £60k a week. When we can pay that for players who get less than 10 goals between them in 3 season, imagine what we should pay decent players who contribute. That's the sort of ambition we need. The previous CEO told everyone what we were going to do and wasn't scared of spending big.

We need the board to show the ambition of the previous CEO who spent £27m on two attacking player paying one of them 2 million euros a year nett and another £60k a week. When we can pay that for players who get less than 10 goals between them in 3 season, imagine what we should pay decent players who contribute. That's the sort of ambition we need. The previous CEO told everyone what we were going to do and wasn't scared of spending big.

Except that he wasn't spending his own money and financial fair play limits what can be done now. Merely declaring ambition and a willingness to spend money is no longer enough. Nearly all the money you want to spend must be earned through football activities. The profit from this year's transfer activities is itself an asset that can keep us ok for European FFP for the next three years if spending is carefully controlled. Spending big on a single player is probably too risky. On the other hand, current management has spent over 26 million pounds on two attacking players (Long and Mane) and 47 million plus on four attacking players so I don't see a big difference.

This response assumes that the bolded language wasn't intended ironically. If it was, good point.

It is not just a question of ambition, but how that ambition is to be expressed and what limits are imposed by the owner. If Liebherr wants us to be self-sufficient that is 8 million pounds of FFP losses per year that she is not willing to fund that she could fund (that is European FFP, BPL FFP would allow her to fund 35 million a year). This also means that she is not willing to fund the entire cost of the youth program and any further improvement in the facilities both of which are excluded expenses under FFP. If you want to characterize that as a lack of ambition, you can do so and I won't argue but understand what you are saying--Liebherr should be willing to spend 15 million or so of her own money on the club every year indefinitely. I don't feel comfortable saying that--although I would be happy if she was willing to do that.

On the other, if Liebherr announced that she wanted to start taking profits out of the club to repay all the money she and her father invested, I would feel comfortable saying that reflected a lack of ambition. But she has not said that, at least not publically, and last summer would have been a perfect opportunity to start the process.

Finally, keep in mind that even though we can compete with the bigger clubs on wages for a few players, that is only partially true. (I am using FM 2015 numbers for what follows.) We cannot afford to pay Schneiderlin what Liverpool would pay him, but we can afford to pay him what they are paying Lallana. We cannot afford to pay Schneiderlin what Arsenal would pay him, but we can afford to pay him what they are paying Arteta. We cannot afford to pay him what Manchester United would pay him, but we can afford to pay him what they are paying Valencia.

Edited by Redslo

The only thing that'd really make me cross is if he goes to Tottenham. The only 2 clubs in England who a) are clearly a level above us in terms of quality and b) need a player like him, are Arsenal (where he'd go if he's sensible) and Man Utd (where he'll go if he's greedy and fancies the bench).

I don't think it's impossible he'll stay, but we'll need to double his money and finish 5th at least to have a prayer.

If the club manage to get him to sign a new contract i think it would make a good statement of intent, even if it goes against the clubs wishes, one player earning the sort of wage a player of his caliber should be earning to me would make a huge statement to the rest of the league.

I personally cant see him signing a new deal if we dont make Champions league, but if we dont make Champions league then we must sell him abroad weather or not he wants to play at gunners or United, rather him left for barca for 1 million than him going to United for 50 million, plus the board can turn around after the sale and stick two fingers up at the top 6 and say they will not sell any more players to them.

I know it dont make financial sense to take a lower fee, but if these top clubs stop unsettling are players any way then they would not want to move full stop, also it would be nice to build on the team than to keep replacing want away players year in year out, cause in due time we will not be able to find a decent replacement and it could be the reason we go from a top 10 club back down to fighting relegation or even worse we could end up back in the Championship with 99 % of the team wanting to leave for Premiership football instead.

NO MORE PLAYER SALES TO OTHER PREMIERSHIP CLUBS ( Only ones below us in the league of course / not Challenging for Europe )

You know you keep bringing up Osvaldo and Ramires time and time again. But you fail to mention Lambert, Fonte, Wanyama amongst others (if we are talking about signings under Cortese) and what about Lovren? You also fail to mention that just about every other club in the Premier League, and the divisions below sign dogs too, look at Spurs, Lamela and Salgado, there near on 60 million, Liverpool spent God knows how much on the Italian player a few years back and he played about 2 games and Utd payed a shed load for Pogba, look at Orzil at Arsenal or Sinclair and Johnson and that Everton kid at City. Chelsea, they signed some great striker called Torres for FIFTY million quid, he was good wasn't he?

Thats football and we have never been any different, Dixon, Speedie to name a couple of others.

If the club manage to get him to sign a new contract i think it would make a good statement of intent, even if it goes against the clubs wishes, one player earning the sort of wage a player of his caliber should be earning to me would make a huge statement to the rest of the league.

I personally cant see him signing a new deal if we dont make Champions league, but if we dont make Champions league then we must sell him abroad weather or not he wants to play at gunners or United, rather him left for barca for 1 million than him going to United for 50 million, plus the board can turn around after the sale and stick two fingers up at the top 6 and say they will not sell any more players to them.

I know it dont make financial sense to take a lower fee, but if these top clubs stop unsettling are players any way then they would not want to move full stop, also it would be nice to build on the team than to keep replacing want away players year in year out, cause in due time we will not be able to find a decent replacement and it could be the reason we go from a top 10 club back down to fighting relegation or even worse we could end up back in the Championship with 99 % of the team wanting to leave for Premiership football instead.

NO MORE PLAYER SALES TO OTHER PREMIERSHIP CLUBS ( Only ones below us in the league of course / not Challenging for Europe )

Do you think you would feel the same if you had invested £30million + in the club?

So much with the bonding. Morgan's doing an interview tonight at 7pm on CANAL + . Watch the s hit hit the fan and undo all the Swiss bonding exercise.

I'll be watching with interest. Think you can expect journalist to ask him if he wants to move this summer.

We ll see what he answers but i'm sure he ll say that he will think about it over the summer.

Morgan just said he rejected a contract offer from Saints 4 months ago.

Think he's off 100%. He said he wants to play at the highest level possible.

Said there are some clubs interested in him.

Didn t want to say too much as he doesn t want stories to circulate about him.

They asked him if it was in last season with Saints. Said he doesn t know.

Been clear all season that we said he could go this coming summer after we blocked him leaving last time.

He is a lot more high profile now though so we should get at least 25m for him which will allow us to replace.

He has been a great player for Saints for many years so don't think anyone begrudges him a move to a top club. Will always be welcomed back to St Mary's hopefully.

Been clear all season that we said he could go this coming summer after we blocked him leaving last time.

He is a lot more high profile now though so we should get at least 25m for him which will allow us to replace.

He has been a great player for Saints for many years so don't think anyone begrudges him a move to a top club. Will always be welcomed back to St Mary's hopefully.

Yes he is but don't need doom posts like this. You never know if we make champions league he could stay. Not likely though.

I know he stated CL football would keep him here, but I think double your wages and uefa cup would keep him here for 1 more year at least and let him review it again then.

However he is top 3 DM in the prem and top 10 in Europe IMO, he is too good for us, a club playing in Europe and fighting for CL football every season or winning things is more suited for his talents, I value him at 30 million, so 35 mill would be nice would allow us to sign two top players and pay there wages for one season with that money.

Yes he is but don't need doom posts like this. You never know if we make champions league he could stay. Not likely though.

Not doom and gloom. As said, we will get a big fee, have been able to plan a replacement for 12 months and have been able to see him grow from a talented lightweight into a top class International player.

Only negative from me re Morgan is the stuff from last summer, which got silly. But it takes two to tango anyway.

It's not doom and gloom to suggest he's leaving. It's just the reality of it, that's football. And it will continue to happen. As fans, we just have to deal with it and accept it. The club survived an exodus last summer, and I'd like to think Les Reed and co. have planned well once again for this summer.

Unless you are Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern, there is always a bigger club waiting to take your best players. It's a fact of the game and one we've certainly taken from advantage from in the past and will do so again the future.

Get the best deal you can on players who want to move on and replace with hungry players who also want to push themselves onto better things, taking us further along as they do.

have faith in the board, they've shown they know what they are doing (though we should have got a striker in Jan.) players will go new will come in and the accademy will continue to feed us quality youngsters, the futures bright the futures (hmm hmm) Orange! :p

TalkSport just saying how good MS was and that last night he said he was off in the summer. Corrected themselves by saying he wanted to play at highest level, CL etc.... :rolleyes:

Heard that. Started off by saying "MS has stated he wants to leave in the summer" then read out the quote which said no such thing.

Although they're right, he does want to and will leave in the summer. Don't hope for a change of heart as it will just disappoint you more when he does go.

Sadly the possibility of CL football has long since disappeared* and with it any hope of retaining Morgan (if indeed that was ever a game changer for him). Fair do's though, as our longest serving player he deserves our blessing when he leaves in July. At least we can watch his progress with admiration as we have with Theo & Gareth. Au revoir et bon chance!

* Current form (points from last six games)

Liverpool 16

Arsenal 15

Man U 13

Tottenham 13

Southampton 7

Which suggests as no doubt we all expect that Arsenal & Liverpool will be the two to qualify, a pointer to where Morgan will end up? Let's just pray it's Arsenal and not the effing thieving scousers.

have faith in the board, they've shown they know what they are doing (though we should have got a striker in Jan.)

Yep...I do after the summer's comings and goings. I think the reason why we didn't sign a striker in the January window was the one we particularly wanted wasn't available at that time and we weren't keen on a risky second choice signing for big money...lord knows we still have two 12m misfits at the club. I trust them to do the right thing for the club...offer Morgan more, if he refuses sell him for as much as we can get. The fans and Morgan are going to have to be patient this summer.

Sadly the possibility of CL football has long since disappeared* and with it any hope of retaining Morgan (if indeed that was ever a game changer for him). Fair do's though, as our longest serving player he deserves our blessing when he leaves in July. At least we can watch his progress with admiration as we have with Theo & Gareth. Au revoir et bon chance!

* Current form (points from last six games)

Liverpool 16

Arsenal 15

Man U 13

Tottenham 13

Southampton 7

Which suggests as no doubt we all expect that Arsenal & Liverpool will be the two to qualify, a pointer to where Morgan will end up? Let's just pray it's Arsenal and not the effing thieving scousers.

You do realise that form changes and that over the next 6 games, we won't all get the same number of points?

I think the reason why we didn't sign a striker in the January window was the one we particularly wanted wasn't available at that time and we weren't keen on a risky second choice signing for big money...

I was listening to the radio after Liverpool were held at home by Blackburn, and a 'pool fan was talking about the need to have signed a striker in January! We aren't alone in our need, but I think your analysis is a pretty fair summary why _we_ didn't.

Club Call states that Schneiderlin said..... " I haven't been in touch with Wenger "- which means NOTHING.

firstly, (other) clubs are not allowed to speak to / with players without permission of the employer (SFC in this case), which doesn't mean that his agent hasn't been in talks with Wenger / Arsenal does it ?

So he's not lying.. but it's a roundabout way of avoiding an honest answer. He suggests that "other clubs " have shown interest, but I still think Arsenal will be his final destination.

Wenger is very good at signing players at the 11th hour, (most recently... Welbeck on the last day), even whilst AW was visiting ...The Pope (:eek:).

Most people seem fairly convinced that MS will go in the summer....and if he does ...I'm still backing Arsenal...even though Morgan " claims " no interest from Wenger.

Edited by david in sweden

Evening Standard tonight: "Spurs Schneinderlin fear". The summary: Spurs need to qualify for CL to have any chance of MS; Arsenal are monitoring MS closely, who is expected to leave for £25m, if SFC do not finish in the Top 4; MS earns £30k pw now and although Spurs can double that, Arsenal have the financial power to gazump any such offer. The key will be qualifying for CL first.

Spurs not able to just raid little old Saints? Oh, bless

MS will sadly be off. There was talk of a 60K offer but that would not touch the sides of what Arsenal can offer him. When he hangs up his boots at the end of his career will he regret leaving Saints? I think so, just like Lallana and Lambert.

As I said the other day 3 million £ a year is just not at the races for a player who may or may not be worth 25 million £.

If you've got one and he's in any way open to staying then you have to push the boat out and pay him what he can get elsewhere, it's what "big clubs" do.

MS will sadly be off. There was talk of a 60K offer but that would not touch the sides of what Arsenal can offer him. When he hangs up his boots at the end of his career will he regret leaving Saints? I think so, just like Lallana and Lambert.

I'm sure neither regret leaving....

I'm sure neither regret leaving....

Lambert might if he was younger, as it is, probably not. He's not really good enough for Liverpool but he had a good few years here and finished it off with a few big games at Anfield.

Saints are not the be all and end all for any ambitious and talented footballer, think Shearer regrets leaving or Bale ?

They had the talent to play on a bigger stage..

Edited by Window Cleaner

There is absolutely nothing to say that he would have got any more game time here than he has at Liverpool; he's certainly got more money though.

With Pelles recent form I'd say there is every chance Lambert would have gotten more game time here than he has for Liverpool recently!

Every fan of any club will always moan that they need to sign XXX player, or we are weak in xxxx position. That's because most football fans are whinging bellends.

hey, you haven't told me about the great signings under the NC era, do they not count?

Playing for his boyhood club? Challenging for honours? Do you think he would have started more games for us? He nearly went to West Ham. Surely Liverpool has been a better career move?

Well he is much better than Pelle who starts every game, so yes, he would have started more games for us.