REVEALED: 2015/16 home shirt

Saint-Armstrong

As an adult.. I don't care really about the new kit so long as its A. Well made ( unlike this season ) and B. Does not look completely sh1te ( like the season before )... kits are for players and for kids.... and for adults to wear in the back garden when cooking on the barby etc etc.... but the training stuff by adidas is awesome quality and good value for money so I for one am looking forward to a nice red and white fleecy sweat shirt to wear when helping to coach my lads team next season .... ;-)

How is it awful, it's just stripes with Adidas stripes. Uninspiring maybe, but there's nothing actually bad about it.

Yeah these comments confuse the **** out of me as well, someone at the game yesterday said that our new shirt was awful, the worst he'd seen in PL time. I mean, what do people expect? Multicolored stripes? Red and white stripes vertically, diagonally? I mean come on, we're red and white stripes, we have a red and white striped kit. What's awful about that exactly I'll never know.

Yeah these comments confuse the **** out of me as well, someone at the game yesterday said that our new shirt was awful, the worst he'd seen in PL time. I mean, what do people expect? Multicolored stripes? Red and white stripes vertically, diagonally? I mean come on, we're red and white stripes, we have a red and white striped kit. What's awful about that exactly I'll never know.

Exactly!! I personally think it is one of the best looking kits we.ve had for some time. "It looks like Stoke!" Well guess what? They play in red and white stripes, we play in red and white stripes. How is it not going to be similar? Bet their fans and Sunderland's and Brentford's and Exeter's don't keep gobbing off because their shirts look like Southampton's!!

As an adult.. I don't care really about the new kit so long as its A. Well made ( unlike this season ) and B. Does not look completely sh1te ( like the season before )... kits are for players and for kids.... and for adults to wear in the back garden when cooking on the barby etc etc....

High Press.

As an adult.. I don't care really about the new kit so long as its A. Well made ( unlike this season ) and B. Does not look completely sh1te ( like the season before )... kits are for players and for kids.... and for adults to wear in the back garden when cooking on the barby etc etc.... but the training stuff by adidas is awesome quality and good value for money so I for one am looking forward to a nice red and white fleecy sweat shirt to wear when helping to coach my lads team next season .... ;-)

Weird and undoubtedly a really bad idea from a health and safety perspective, may as well wear a cotton t-shirt soaked in petrol. :D

Would have been no problem being "like Hamilton Accies"

:shakey: I'd rather see us in navy home shorts than hoops. I don't mind a sash, quarters, halves, candy stripes, reverse Ajax, regular Ajax, halved Denmark, or even Pony tick monstrosity, but not hoops, pinstripes or plain.

I like it. There are only so many variations on red and white stripes, so saying it looks like Stoke, Sunderland, Exeter, Bilbao, Red Star Belgrade, Athletico is a bit daft.

I'm just glad we've avoided some of the weird monstrosities of the past

There was the two kits badly sown together at the shoulders. Complete with awful, tacky, plastic flybe logo which doesn't line up with the stripes and just generally looks like it was glued on over the top of another sponsor as a last minute after thought.

chrisperry1_2475777.jpg?20100709161450

Then there was the gold lettering because we're being sponsored by Lotus, except we aren't, which is good because you can barely see it anyway.

dossier-southampton-formation-a-l-anglaise_4914206-L.jpg

I've not bought a Saints kit for 3 years since our pinstripe effort in the first season back up. I may buy this one as it looks decent.

The "two kits sewn together" one is one of the best shirts we've had in the past 30 years. Except the crappy sponsor panel.

I did hear a rather amusing rumour yesterday that the media group Saints outsourced to do the supporting media pictures for the launch took precisely ONE pic of the shirt, which is why JWP is the only photo of a player in the shirt we've seen other than the video reveal with Fonte.

That and "they've only got the one shirt", which seems to be supported by the team not wearing it yesterday, the shirt in the video reveal not having sizes printed on it, and the shirt in the Snapchat (and possibly Periscope) video having its own box. :D

The "two kits sewn together" one is one of the best shirts we've had in the past 30 years. Except the crappy sponsor panel.

How is it better than any other striped shirt? The shoulders don't line up properly. A similar but better effort was this one from our first Championship season.

2548407.jpg?type=articleLandscape

How is it better than any other striped shirt? The shoulders don't line up properly. A similar but better effort was this one from our first Championship season.

2548407.jpg?type=articleLandscape

It's a really good design, the shoulders look like that on all of Umbro's shirts from that season, clearly in our case it was to prevent multidirectional stripe clash, which would have looked much worse. It was an excellent fit too, and high quality material that stretched but wasn't tight and nice detailing and bespoke details like the triangular element at the bottom of the sides of the shirt. Agreed that the sponsor was bolted on afterwards, but that was because it wasn't designed with flybe in mind and they extended their deal quite late in the year.

That particular shirt above is a nice design, but the execution of it was awful - it was called the "nosebreaker" for a reason - no elasticated material in the collar - plus the cut of the sleeves was too short and they hung awkwardly off the shoulder piping. And the white ad panel/broken stripe was superfluous, the Friends Provident lettering had sat across stripes comfortably for four years before that without being difficult to see.

There's more to good design than just how the thing looks.

I can't tell the difference.

This. Cant remember the last time there was a shirt so similar to the previous. Its still stripes, same width of stripes, same sponsor, even both a solid red arm. From a distance the only difference you'll see is the Adidas 3 white stripes on the arm.

Looks smart and it'll do the job. Will probably buy it since I've got one of each home shirt since I started supporting Saints as a nipper, but am getting too old to be genuinely excited by the prospect of what the players will wear from any given season to the next.

That said, I can't say I've disliked any of our home kits since a couple of the 'in-house' efforts from our pre-League One spell in the Championship. Perhaps I'm just easily pleased.

It's a really good design, the shoulders look like that on all of Umbro's shirts from that season, clearly in our case it was to prevent multidirectional stripe clash, which would have looked much worse. It was an excellent fit too, and high quality material that stretched but wasn't tight and nice detailing and bespoke details like the triangular element at the bottom of the sides of the shirt. Agreed that the sponsor was bolted on afterwards, but that was because it wasn't designed with flybe in mind and they extended their deal quite late in the year.

That particular shirt above is a nice design, but the execution of it was awful - it was called the "nosebreaker" for a reason - no elasticated material in the collar - plus the cut of the sleeves was too short and they hung awkwardly off the shoulder piping. And the white ad panel/broken stripe was superfluous, the Friends Provident lettering had sat across stripes comfortably for four years before that without being difficult to see.

There's more to good design than just how the thing looks.

Have you considered a career in fashion?

This. Cant remember the last time there was a shirt so similar to the previous. Its still stripes, same width of stripes, same sponsor, even both a solid red arm. From a distance the only difference you'll see is the Adidas 3 white stripes on the arm.

Ridiculous. :lol: For a start the current shirt has a load of red stripes within the red stripes, and a red v-neck collar. And no branding.

Have you considered a career in fashion?

Probably should have thought of it 20 years ago. Plus kit design's not what it was, corporate template machines, no room for flair or actual design. Also I am chronically underqualified to the point of not even knowing which qualifications would be needed. :D

Ridiculous. :lol: For a start the current shirt has a load of red stripes within the red stripes, and a red v-neck collar. And no branding.

But from a distance it looks the same except for the Adidas stripes.

Wow, that shirts really requires a good stare just to believe it's actually happened. For a club getting just about everything right these days it's hard to believe they signed off on that monstrosity! Worst kit ever? :lol: Christ!

Thankfully it's just a kit and won't affect any of our lives, but just imagine if this kind of thing was actually important? The only logical explanation behind this is they gave the kit responsibilities to a work experience kid, and in which case fair play to SFC for actually having the balls to give them a real job when they could've just asked him to make the tea.

Bayern have just released their first training wear item for 15/16,,, the anthem jacket.... Ours will be very similar.... just with some white in it..... they look nice.... http://shop.fcbayern.de/en/629/290/-fc-bayern-adidas_Anthem_Jacket_Home--/?page=1

putting to one side the very questionable decision to wear football club branded leisure wear, IMO no man over the age of 18 should be seen in an adidas tracksuit top unless of course you are Joseph Simmons or Darryl McDaniels.

But from a distance it looks the same except for the Adidas stripes.

Not really, there's more white around the neck area for a start.

Anyway, I like the current kit (crappy materials aside), and we have a deal with adidas, so that's not even a problem.

Bayern have just released their first training wear item for 15/16,,, the anthem jacket.... Ours will be very similar.... just with some white in it..... they look nice.... http://shop.fcbayern.de/en/629/290/-fc-bayern-adidas_Anthem_Jacket_Home--/?page=1

There's a whole page of pics of training wear on the Pointless Kit Thread. This is about the home shirt being released.

putting to one side the very questionable decision to wear football club branded leisure wear, IMO no man over the age of 18 should be seen in an adidas tracksuit top unless of course you are Joseph Simmons or Darryl McDaniels.

Or Barry Gale.

Wow, that shirts really requires a good stare just to believe it's actually happened. For a club getting just about everything right these days it's hard to believe they signed off on that monstrosity! Worst kit ever? :lol: Christ!

Thankfully it's just a kit and won't affect any of our lives, but just imagine if this kind of thing was actually important? The only logical explanation behind this is they gave the kit responsibilities to a work experience kid, and in which case fair play to SFC for actually having the balls to give them a real job when they could've just asked him to make the tea.

I am confused as to how anyone could have any kind of negative opinion of possibly the blandest branded kit the club has ever had. It's stripes, it's made by adidas, Saints badge on it, that's about it really.

The shirt is alright but I'm not really keen on the white collarband. Whatever made us choose that, apart from some gumff about looking like a halo...that's absolute bolloaks.

I'd have preferred a black/red/white collar with some of the mesh we'll see on the away kit if they were genuinely interested in some actual "design", but I'm not particularly bothered about the (cough) halo being plain white and indeed that is marketing horsepoop of the highest order.

Of note, my suggested design change would have made the shirt look more like this season's shirt as well. Which means there are clearly things that don't look like this season's.

I am confused as to how anyone could have any kind of negative opinion of possibly the blandest branded kit the club has ever had.

Isn't the fact it's a bland off the shelf shirt with very few design features exclusive to saints exactly what most negative opinions are about?

If you paid £50 for a main course at a fancy restaurant that was as described but very bland would you not have a negative opinion?

Isn't the fact it's a bland off the shelf shirt with very few design features exclusive to saints exactly what most negative opinions are about?

If you paid £50 for a main course at a fancy restaurant that was as described but very bland would you not have a negative opinion?

It's inoffensive to the largest number people, nothing negative about that.

Excellent analogy, if someone tried to make me wear a £50 meal at St Mary's I'd be really annoyed.

I think the comparison would be spending £50 on one Pizza Hut pizza served to you in Pizza Hut restaurant and then being surprised that it tastes the same as other Pizza Hut pizzas you've had.

Mmm, I started the season defending the shirt quality, but my long sleeved shirt has a gazillion pulls on it, mostly the arms but some on the main body, plus the "pebble" on the front disappeared before our form did, somehow taking all of the stitching in that corner of the shirt with it.

Worse, the club didn't have any long-sleeved shirts left in stock to replace it with, so I was stuck with it. The new adidas shirt isn't even going to be available in long-sleeved versions, which is a bit cack, will need to dig out something with red sleeves to go underneath for the winter matches.

On the bright side, I won a signed short sleeved shirt AND an away shirt this year (one for some Sky online contest and one for using my bpay two weeks after they were introduced, when evidently no-one else was), so that was nice.

It's red and white striped and will be decent quality unlike this years abomination so I'm happy. Big surprise our red and white stripes look like others red and white stripes I really don't get how people complain about this after demanding red and white stripes lol.

I would really like to see the club make a permanent switch to the sash kit we wore for the anniversary a couple of years back, it made us look different which would give the club an immediate identity.

It's red and white striped and will be decent quality unlike this years abomination so I'm happy. Big surprise our red and white stripes look like others red and white stripes I really don't get how people complain about this after demanding red and white stripes lol.

I would really like to see the club make a permanent switch to the sash kit we wore for the anniversary a couple of years back, it made us look different which would give the club an immediate identity.

I'd prefer a permanent switch to the Keegan number :smug: that would be sweet

It's hard just seeing it from that one angle in the official JWP launch picture, you can see a bit more in the unveiling video. The sides definitely look a little odd where the white stripe tapers down...

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-20%20at%203.01.22%20PM.png

It'll be worse on the smaller shirts, that red panel is going to chop the stripes right off on some of them. Not that I'm bothered.

Have noticed that the stripes are a bit wider than this season though. and we also don't have the raglan sleeves of this year's.