Fitness tracker bands

EBS1980

With the summer in theory not far away I want to use it as the kickstart to getting healthier and more active.

Just wondered if anything uses the wristbands that appear popular at the moment and if so what they think to them?

There appears to be the jawbone, Fitbit or Microsoft band as the main ones. Anyone recommend one over the others?

Thanks

Go with whatever suits you. I have a Fitbit, for £35 it's good value (tesco club card vouchers deal). It logs steps, miles, weight, sleep and calories if you add the food into the app. You can also do challenges with friends.

There are some which do more but are more expensive so depends on your needs. Some are more like training aids for those wanting to get in good shape too.

Myself, my family and some friends have all got a Fitbit Flex and definitely feel it makes you more aware of how little you actually do! Since having it I do my best to take breaks from my desk and go for a quick walk during the day and do what I can to get my step count up. I think they're worth it if your prepared for the effort. Definitely helped me anyway.

I spent the day with Sony, yesterday. They've something that's due to launch in July. I have to say, I was very impressed. Effectively it's a pair of sports headphones with 16Gb of storage and it syncs to your phone. It measures heart rate etc. just like all these products do but has plenty of programmes to choose from and a few nice touches like the ability to automatically select and pace the music to the speed of your workout.

http://smartsports.sony.net/b-trainer/event.html#

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

There is currently a fit bit explosion in my work place. Everyone seems to have one, all linked to apps like my fitness pal and seem to be having some sort of competition where they have a leader board using their hilarious nicknames such as 'blobby'

Whilst I'm all for a fit and healthy lifestyle it does mean the office now full of boring t*ats going on and on and on and on about how many steps they've done, how many times they've been to the gym this week how far they've walked etc.

I also happened to be in the gym the other day as the same time as one of the fit bit freaks. Our gym does a monthly challenge, this months is to run 830m as quickly as you can with the results recorded on a board. he threw down the gauntlet to me so I jumped on the treadmill with him. Half say through he jumped to the side claiming he was 'f*cked and couldn't keep that pace up' meanwhile I recorded midtable respectability time.

Conclusion - fit bits are worn by deluded boring c*nts

There is currently a fit bit explosion in my work place. Everyone seems to have one, all linked to apps like my fitness pal and seem to be having some sort of competition where they have a leader board using their hilarious nicknames such as 'blobby'

Whilst I'm all for a fit and healthy lifestyle it does mean the office now full of boring t*ats going on and on and on and on about how many steps they've done, how many times they've been to the gym this week how far they've walked etc.

I also happened to be in the gym the other day as the same time as one of the fit bit freaks. Our gym does a monthly challenge, this months is to run 830m as quickly as you can with the results recorded on a board. he threw down the gauntlet to me so I jumped on the treadmill with him. Half say through he jumped to the side claiming he was 'f*cked and couldn't keep that pace up' meanwhile I recorded midtable respectability time.

Dell-size mentality, right there. ;)

• 7 months later...

Bumping this as I purchased a fitness tracker in June. Wasn't sure which brand to go for but since my company was putting in Salesforce and some American fella at Dreamforce Light in London set Fitbit ran on SF I thought I'd try it.

Fitness trackers alone are not the answer, they do however provide motivated individuals with the ability to make educated decisions around diet and exercise. The gamification aspect also drives people on, so a bit of fun as well.

from biting a Fitbit HR to give me advanced notice of a heart attack, I am now 3 stone lighter, able to run 10k in 50 minutes and generally feel much better for it.

Bumping this as I purchased a fitness tracker in June. Wasn't sure which brand to go for but since my company was putting in Salesforce and some American fella at Dreamforce Light in London set Fitbit ran on SF I thought I'd try it.

Fitness trackers alone are not the answer, they do however provide motivated individuals with the ability to make educated decisions around diet and exercise. The gamification aspect also drives people on, so a bit of fun as well.

from biting a Fitbit HR to give me advanced notice of a heart attack, I am now 3 stone lighter, able to run 10k in 50 minutes and generally feel much better for it.

Impressive. Have you got a before and after pic preferably teh 'after' wearing you old trousers pulling out your waistband, it's all I know

Fair play to this by the way, Ive always been keen to keep myself relatively fit, a lot of which is because I still try to haul my battered body around a football pitch, therefore Ive never really needed a fitness band.

Anything that gets people fitter and healthier cant be a bad thing though, so whatever works for you I suppose.

Still one of the best lifestyle choices is to get all of the convenience food out of the freezer (quick meals and boxed goods) and just fill it with meat and vegetables.

I was given a Garmin Vivofit last year for my birthday - I was also on a 'fitness drive' at the time after several years of not doing a great deal and turning into a fat bastad - and have found it to be a little bit limited. Great for tracking steps and sleep and calculating calories burned to some extent, but I've always found it a little bit lacking and have had to use separate apps for tracking bike rides and another app combined with a chest strap for heart rate monitoring.

I've just - literally, just! - ordered a Garmin Forerunner 225 as that has pretty much everything I need in one neat little package, and not to mention it is less than £170 falling from it's launch price last summer of close to £250. It has built in GPS and built in HR monitor so now I don't need the separate apps on the phone, plus it has all the functionality of the activity tracker as it will count steps, calculate calories used etc etc.

So far, the activity tracker has helped to keep me motivated and lose 2 stone last year with another 2 stone planned for this year....

Impressive. Have you got a before and after pic preferably teh 'after' wearing you old trousers pulling out your waistband, it's all I know

Ive given all my old gear to charity. 36" waist to 31". Played golf the other day with my old kit and they nicknamed me clown on account of my trousers.

At my heaviest I've been 14.5 stone, and now 10.5.

I was joking about a heart attack. My resting heart rate is mid 60's now although does spike when I drink at weekends. At night can go as low as 48 bpm.

Max heart rate is generally accepted to be 220 bpm less your age. So if I am up at 181 send an ambulance.

During my 'modest' heart attack my BP was 210/96 but my pulse rate was normal for me at 44. I had always thought that if you had an attack your pulse would be racing but apparently not. Later that afternoon it dropped to 30 bpm and all the alarms were going off. It's weird lying there waiting a couple of seconds for your next heartbeat.

Well good on you pal as its clearly worked for you. Have you lost all that weight and able to run that just from starting in June? That's a great effort.

I think I just got bored with hearing all these idiots boasting about how many steps they've done and the endless conversations about how many steps "blobby" had done and so on. How people who had never done a days exercise in their life suddenly thought they were experts on the subject. I suppose if it gets people off their arses its not a band thing.

Fair play to this by the way, Ive always been keen to keep myself relatively fit, a lot of which is because I still try to haul my battered body around a football pitch, therefore Ive never really needed a fitness band.

Anything that gets people fitter and healthier cant be a bad thing though, so whatever works for you I suppose.

Still one of the best lifestyle choices is to get all of the convenience food out of the freezer (quick meals and boxed goods) and just fill it with meat and vegetables.

....and don't marry an Italian bird. She cooks like a dream, but I put on 2 stone within a year of meeting her. To be fair, when I met her I was badly underweight and her mother decided to fatten me up. Every time I walked into their house there was a pot of something delicious on the stove, good times :)

Xiaomi Mi Band 1S is a no-brainer. The last generation was widely regarded as more accurate than a Fitbit, the new generation just released has added a heart rate monitor. £13 brand new. My brother sold his Fitbit after having his Mi Band for a week.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

i got a fitbit surge recently, it has been brilliant for me

Still pleased?

I've not used a watch for a while and tempted to go for one of these as I cycle a fair bit.

I'm between the Charge HR, Surge or Blaze - but not seen them in the flesh yet.

Still pleased?

I've not used a watch for a while and tempted to go for one of these as I cycle a fair bit.

I'm between the Charge HR, Surge or Blaze - but not seen them in the flesh yet.

yep its been great. i like it becasue its got HR monitor, GPS, and stop watch all in one, and the pace setting is brillant as its stoppj gme going off to fast. i really like the HR as it doesnt need a chest strap

Waste of money. My daughter gave me a Fitbit whatever, cost a lot. I drive round in my Golf buggy, play about eighty shots at the most, walk a bit on the greens and because of the vibration over the golf course it credits me with over ten thousand yards plus about twenty sets of stairs.

• 1 month later...

I've just - literally, just! - ordered a Garmin Forerunner 225

Frankly, it's crap!

I had it for five weeks and then sent it back for a refund.

The biggest issue is with the HR monitor. I was turning the HR on before starting an exercise to allow time for the watch to stabilise, then you go to another menu to start recording the exercise and the watch would lose the HR! It would then take anywhere from 8 to 20 minutes to re-establish the correct heart rate again which, when doing a quick 30 minute turbo session is pretty useless when 20 minutes of it is recorded at 70bpm!

The idea behind the watch is sound, unfortunately I don't think the tech is good enough at the moment. I have replaced it with a vivosmart HR which works much better, is a fair whack cheaper and a lot smaller on the wrist. It doesn't have GPS but I always take my phone when out on the bike anyway so use that one.

Mrs. h has the Fitbit Surge HR. Fantastic when it works but really bad at syncing with her iPhone. Rarely goes more than 2 days without having to be deleted and reinstalled, so pretty useless really for measuring trends.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Garmin with Android is excellent - the bands are anyway. I have the vivosmart HR, the wife has a vivosmart and daughter has vivoactive. All three of us have Android phones and never have an issue with syncing the bands and having bluetooth always on doesn't seem to affect the battery life of the phone much and allows the sync to happen in the background.

The forerunner was a bit of a pain to sync as you had to access a menu in order to turn bluetooth on and then turn on the app on the phone to get the sync to start, a bit fiddly but never had to delete the app or device from the app...

Mrs. h has the Fitbit Surge HR. Fantastic when it works but really bad at syncing with her iPhone. Rarely goes more than 2 days without having to be deleted and reinstalled, so pretty useless really for measuring trends.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Yes they are a nightmare. I cannot change the time on the Mrs's Fitbit Surge. It does however sync quite easily but on my laptop. Unfortunately you cannot measure the enrgy you use trying to sort it!