Ralph Kruger

9-3

I briefly spoke to Ralph at the Player Awards in 2014. Of all the individuals I met, he was the least impressive and sincere. I maintain my stance that he is an cringeworthy bellend.

Perfectly acceptable to hold that view whilst praising saints in a number of other areas. Some won't have any criticism of any kind whilst we are winning though...

Perfectly acceptable to hold that view whilst praising saints in a number of other areas. Some won't have any criticism of any kind whilst we are winning though...

Yep, I think what we are doing is superb, Les Reed and an owner with patience to thank for that. Every family has the embarrassing uncle type. Behind the scenes Ralph may be great, just comes across as a phoney in public.

Yep, I think what we are doing is superb, Les Reed and an owner with patience to thank for that. Every family has the embarrassing uncle type. Behind the scenes Ralph may be great, just comes across as a phoney in public.

I totally agree with you about 'Wreck it Ralph' being a bell end, I've been saying it from day one, but why do you think there's any possibility he maybe great behind the scenes?..

From what i can see, there's zero tangible evidence to suggest he's done a damned thing since his appointment as Chairman. His brief was to significantly increase "commercial revenue" So after 18 months in the job, where's the announcements for these ground breaking deals? I never believed he was up to it for a minute, most decent businessmen can smell bull**** a mile away, but i would have thought there would have been at least 'some' expectation from some of our more gullible fan base who lapped it all up at the time? after all, "commercial revenue" was one of the sticks used to beat Cortese after he left.

Maybe someone could ask the question at the fans forum?

Take consolation from the fact that zero thought has gone into the speech. He's winging it which suggests that he's not at the coalface, making real decisions.

Now if he was giving his insights into how club can close the gap with the big boys while distinguishing itself from similarly sized clubs that, in theory, should find it easier to copy our formula. That would be a worry...

I totally agree with you about 'Wreck it Ralph' being a bell end, I've been saying it from day one, but why do you think there's any possibility he maybe great behind the scenes?..

From what i can see, there's zero tangible evidence to suggest he's done a damned thing since his appointment as Chairman. His brief was to significantly increase "commercial revenue" So after 18 months in the job, where's the announcements for these ground breaking deals? I never believed he was up to it for a minute, most decent businessmen can smell bull**** a mile away, but i would have thought there would have been at least 'some' expectation from some of our more gullible fan base who lapped it all up at the time? after all, "commercial revenue" was one of the sticks used to beat Cortese after he left.

Maybe you could go and ask? At worst it's a bus ride or maybe only a short walk away for you.

I like old Ralph. Can see why some might find him a bit annoying, can't really understand any stronger feelings than that.

Quite. If the worst we can say about our Chairman is that he's a bit annoying then I think we're doing all right.

Given that the 2013/14 financial figures were only released in March you're going to have a hard time finding any announcement about them yet. As with many thing in life, and often Saints, patience is a virtue

Really? That's a bit drama queen, isn't it? What exactly has it affected? Was it any more cringe-worthy than Mourinho's speech after our win against them for example? That must have brought them lower than a snake's belly.

The more that people talk about it, the more that the message about our way of doing things will get across.

I am 99.456% certain it was a joke.

Edit: Make that 99.459% after additional research.

Lol financial results for last year show a 21% increase in commercial revenue

All these Having a go at Ralph have not seen how big business is run. Ralph is typical a chairman of a company that is out to promote business excellence. If you ever attend an event with a lot of top execs you will find that Ralph is actually quite good compared to some top executives.

Gareth Rodgers pointed out in his comments (about commercial activity) that you can't bring in a new sponsor - whilst you have an existing contract with another.

....and that you don't sell a deal like that with one conversation.

Big organisations look for " Corporate Responsibilty " in the organisations they get involved with, and bad press or irregularities reflect back on them (as sponsors).

Just look at the pressure put on FIFA by big name sponsors (because of the Blatter / Platini scandal)... they have a big say in the matter.

There may be bigger things in the pipeline for Saaints, and eventual new deals may not be seen for a year or two more. You can't just ditch a sponsor - it's bad practice.

Just like having a player such as (Gaston) on a long contract and a big salary ...you have to stick it out to the bitter end. We probably do have sponsors who got a "cheap deal " to get their names seen at SMS, but it will be more expensive for them to stay with the pack in the future - if we have bigger fish on the hook.

All these Having a go at Ralph have not seen how big business is run. Ralph is typical a chairman of a company that is out to promote business excellence. If you ever attend an event with a lot of top execs you will find that Ralph is actually quite good compared to some top executives.

No one is having a go at him, simply saying he's a bit embarrassing and makes people cringe when he talks. It's not the worst thing in he world but I would prefer that he let others be the club's mouthpiece.

A lovely self imploding thread. First the Daily Fail's hate campaign against Saints is exposed as just that by a balanced report on the same conference (thanks Saints86) and then St George embarrasses himself by slating Ralph for failing to increase commercial revenue just before the latest financial results show a 21% increase (I did wonder whether St G was trying to be ironic - in which case, apologies... ;-)).

Why do some fans take such pleasure slating their own club??

Ralph is different thats for sure but he has proved his worth without a doubt, raising our performance abroad as well as our commercial revenue (with others I am sure)

Gareth Rodgers pointed out in his comments (about commercial activity) that you can't bring in a new sponsor - whilst you have an existing contract with another.

....and that you don't sell a deal like that with one conversation.

Big organisations look for " Corporate Responsibilty " in the organisations they get involved with, and bad press or irregularities reflect back on them (as sponsors).

Just look at the pressure put on FIFA by big name sponsors (because of the Blatter / Platini scandal)... they have a big say in the matter.

There may be bigger things in the pipeline for Saaints, and eventual new deals may not be seen for a year or two more. You can't just ditch a sponsor - it's bad practice.

Just like having a player such as (Gaston) on a long contract and a big salary ...you have to stick it out to the bitter end. We probably do have sponsors who got a "cheap deal " to get their names seen at SMS, but it will be more expensive for them to stay with the pack in the future - if we have bigger fish on the hook.

But it was OK for him to slate the previous CEO as failing in the commercial revenue area when was stuck with all the legacy sponsors from our rapid rise from League one and the championship?

The fact is, Wreck it has failed miserably in his prime responsibility of increasing commercial revenue!....i see peeps on here celebrating the fact it's increased by 21%...Are you freaking kidding me? a whole TWO million pound increase in commercial revenue since we came up from the championship and our first year in the Premier League? TWO million, despite a 8th and 7th place finish and a 'huge' increase in the exposure and popularity of the Premier League around the world.....A league that deals in 'Billions' and people think 'TWO' million is a success story?....just how gullible are people on here?

If i was the owner he would be gone by the end of the day...mind you i would have never hired him in the first place.

But it was OK for him to slate the previous CEO as failing in the commercial revenue area when was stuck with all the legacy sponsors from our rapid rise from League one and the championship?

The fact is, Wreck it has failed miserably in his prime responsibility of increasing commercial revenue!....i see peeps on here celebrating the fact it's increased by 21%...Are you freaking kidding me? a whole TWO million pound increase in commercial revenue since we came up from the championship and our first year in the Premier League? TWO million, despite a 8th and 7th place finish and a 'huge' increase in the exposure and popularity of the Premier League around the world.....A league that deals in 'Billions' and people think 'TWO' million is a success story?....just how gullible are people on here?

If i was the owner he would be gone by the end of the day...mind you i would have never hired him in the first place.

Angry from Sholing is off again I see. Go on, go and have a wander down to The Swan for a pint. Might cheer you up.

But it was OK for him to slate the previous CEO as failing in the commercial revenue area when was stuck with all the legacy sponsors from our rapid rise from League one and the championship? .

Er? ......try re-reading my first line again, Saint George. Gareth Rodgers said - we can't ditch a sponsor until our agreement with them runs out.

(In some businesses "a contract " is legally-binding and time-linked - (unlike that of footballers / managers who can sign something one day and opt out the next).

It's true we only made a " measly £8 million " sponsorship - but some deals were made when we came up from the Championship and were a struggling new Prem. outfit.

Now we are in a better position, but we can't walk away from those deals, paint out the adverts pitchside, or cut their name off a shirt and pretend we don't need them.

If new deals are "in the pipeline" - I'm sure we are a far better proposition now (attracting a lot more attention) than we were then. New deals will be worth much more.

PLUS: more USA fans have come on the scene as previously FOX SPORTS screened only 1 or 2 games each weekend, (usually only the top four Prem. sides), whereas now NBC screen every Prem. game and clubs like Saints have attracted more interest (and a new fan base) in the States that just weren't there before.

The excellent "Southampton Way" documentary was obviously made to attract a U.S. audience and (according to one US contact I hadcontact with) many people were quite impressed with Saints and many (rather like us) were already thoroughly pi**ed off with a regular weekly diet of Man.Utd and Chelsea games.

It takes time to win over new sponsors, but if we are still showing a low turnover in 2 years time, I'll agree with you....however, big name US sponsors advertised around the billboards at SMS will surely bring in "bigger bucks " ....and a wider media coverage can only enhance both the reputation and revenue of SFC.

Edited by david in sweden

Er? ......try re-reading my first line again, Saint George. Gareth Rodgers said - we can't ditch a sponsor until our agreement with them runs out.

(In some businesses "a contract " is legally-binding and time-linked - (unlike that of footballers / managers who can sign something one day and opt out the next).

It's true we only made a " measly £8 million " sponsorship - but some deals were made when we came up from the Championship and were a struggling new Prem. outfit.

Now we are in a better position, but we can't walk away from those deals, paint out the adverts pitchside, or cut their name off a shirt and pretend we don't need them.

If new deals are "in the pipeline" - I'm sure we are a far better proposition now (attracting a lot more attention) than we were then. New deals will be worth much more.

PLUS: more USA fans have come on the scene as previously FOX SPORTS screened only 1 or 2 games each weekend, (usually only the top four Prem. sides), whereas now NBC screen every Prem. game and clubs like Saints have attracted more interest (and a new fan base) in the States that just weren't there before.

The excellent "Southampton Way" documentary was obviously made to attract a U.S. audience and (according to one US contact I hadcontact with) many people were quite impressed with Saints and many (rather like us) were already thoroughly pi**ed off with a regular weekly diet of Man.Utd and Chelsea games.

It takes time to win over new sponsors, but if we are still showing a low turnover in 2 years time, I'll agree with you....however, big name US sponsors advertised around the billboards at SMS will surely bring in "bigger bucks " ....and a wider media coverage can only enhance both the reputation and revenue of SFC.

I understood the line the first time...and here's the deal...There have been very few, if 'any' legacy sponsors left at the club during this accounting period, it's just a smoke screen to hide their inaction and/or incompetence.

There's still no stadium naming sponsor, the current undervalued shirt sponsor was 100% down to this lot, as is the empty hospitality suites. There's also been a change in betting and technology partners, beer suppliers and a whole load of other partners and yet despite their rhetoric have barely been able to improve on the deals Cortase brought in while we were in League 1 and the Championship.

Don't expect the US to be the answer either...Red and White candy stripes with a kids crayon contest club badge are not going to gather much support here. Cortese knew it and made the huge and unpopular decision to drop the stripes and adjust the badge to make the Club more marketable in the US and other area's...This lot preferred to pander to a couple of thousand enraged nerds and reversed the change, now we're stuck with the consequences.

No coincidence Chivas USA, the only MLS team in red and white stripes crashed and burned and were closed down last year due to lack of support.

This weekend i watched the USA v Mexico game at the home of the NOLA chapter of the American Outlaws, 70-80 American soccer fanatics, all had a EPL team they supported and not one of them was Southampton....Plenty of big club fans there but also a mix of West Ham, Swansea, West Brom and Villa, not one single fan of a team in red and white stripes that i heard.

I understood the line the first time...and here's the deal...There have been very few, if 'any' legacy sponsors left at the club during this accounting period, it's just a smoke screen to hide their inaction and/or incompetence.

There's still no stadium naming sponsor, the current undervalued shirt sponsor was 100% down to this lot, as is the empty hospitality suites. There's also been a change in betting and technology partners, beer suppliers and a whole load of other partners and yet despite their rhetoric have barely been able to improve on the deals Cortase brought in while we were in League 1 and the Championship.

Don't expect the US to be the answer either...Red and White candy stripes with a kids crayon contest club badge are not going to gather much support here. Cortese knew it and made the huge and unpopular decision to drop the stripes and adjust the badge to make the Club more marketable in the US and other area's...This lot preferred to pander to a couple of thousand enraged nerds and reversed the change, now we're stuck with the consequences.

No coincidence Chivas USA, the only MLS team in red and white stripes crashed and burned and were closed down last year due to lack of support.

This weekend i watched the USA v Mexico game at the home of the NOLA chapter of the American Outlaws, 70-80 American soccer fanatics, all had a EPL team they supported and not one of them was Southampton....Plenty of big club fans there but also a mix of West Ham, Swansea, West Brom and Villa, not one single fan of a team in red and white stripes that i heard.

Quite an admission George ;)

Fair point to raise though. Beyond a US documentary what has been visibly achieved on that side?

When Krueger came in it was with a view to really driving that side of the club, but has it happened?

Whilst good from a sporting view we are one of the only decent PL sides to have never had a pre season tour to an area of "growth potential" and our commercial income is poor in comparison to on field success despite this being specifically mentioned many times by Krueger, Rodgers etc as a specific focus area.

Yoshida is probably one of our most marketable assets but aside from a Japanese Twitter feed we don't seem to have done a lot to make the most of one area we have an advantage over other PL sides. Having said that, it is quite common to see Maya shirts worn by Japanese people at SMS, but surely they can exploit it further. Likewise in Africa with a player like Mane.

Edited by Saint Charlie

The ramblings of a fantasist.

I'd forgotten his classic routine about red and white stripes. Saint George gold, straight outta Sholing.

"All the folks I know in America where I live and everything honest I do live there I mean here honest gee whizz howdy anyway all my good old American friends I live with all hate red and white striped items of clothing they do oh you limeys that's what we call you here where I live in America oh I love a Twinkie bar me. Yee-ha."

Fair point to raise though. Beyond a US documentary what has been visibly achieved on that side?

When Krueger came in it was with a view to really driving that side of the club, but has it happened?

Whilst good from a sporting view we are one of the only decent PL sides to have never had a pre season tour to an area of "growth potential" and our commercial income is poor in comparison to on field success despite this being specifically mentioned many times by Krueger, Rodgers etc as a specific focus area.

Yoshida is probably one of our most marketable assets but aside from a Japanese Twitter feed we don't seem to have done a lot to make the most of one area we have an advantage over other PL sides. Having said that, it is quite common to see Maya shirts worn by Japanese people at SMS, but surely they can exploit it further. Likewise in Africa with a player like Mane.

Would we have gone to USA/Canada if we didn't have the early Europa League rounds this year? I guess we could have still accommodated 5 days over there based on our time in Austria/Holland anyway.

The problem is, unless you're one of the big teams, is there even that much potential for making money over there? Generating £millions? How many tickets/shirts would we have to sell to make it worthwhile? Plus the USA's own "Soccer" is taking off more and more, not sure if that makes it more or less likely for someone over there to want to spend money on stuff associated with an English side.

I think Japan might be a bit of a better shout, doesn't seem as saturated for visiting English teams as Thailand/USA?

Has it ever been the board's stated ambition to raise the clubs profile in the US?

As far as I can tell the US sports market is pretty much saturated. They've got NFL, NBA, NHL, Indy Car, NASCAR, MLB and MLS. Even massive global brands like Formula 1 and the Premier League generate limited interest, compared with the rest of the developed world.

I can't see an irrelevant, medium sized, English 'soccer' club like Saints generating any kind of interest 5,000 miles away in Arkansas. I think our 'commercial' interests are closer to home and we need to give Ralph more than a year before we start judging it. You can't just flick a switch and generate support. Just look at the Skates, who pumped tens of millions into their 2 or 3 years of glory and people still didn't give a sh*t.

Has it ever been the board's stated ambition to raise the clubs profile in the US?

As far as I can tell the US sports market is pretty much saturated. They've got NFL, NBA, NHL, Indy Car, NASCAR, MLB and MLS. Even massive global brands like Formula 1 and the Premier League generate limited interest, compared with the rest of the developed world.

I can't see an irrelevant, medium sized, English 'soccer' club like Saints generating any kind of interest 5,000 miles away in Arkansas. I think our 'commercial' interests are closer to home and we need to give Ralph more than a year before we start judging it. You can't just flick a switch and generate support. Just look at the Skates, who pumped tens of millions into their 2 or 3 years of glory and people still didn't give a sh*t.

This.

It's naive to think we are a "commercial strategy" away from breaking America or Japan or wherever.

The only "commercial strategy" that is going to "work" is us winning trophies and being the Champions League. I have no doubt Manchester City have more fans in the USA than they did when Shaun Goater was playing for them but it isn't because of some great commercial strategy. If they'd finished 10th for the last five seasons no one in Seattle would give a stuff.

As you say, most of commercial opportunities will be with people a bit closer to home, including those who live in the UK like Saint George.

Come on. After all, some people (in the US) think we're bigger than United...

There are really only three ways for Southampton FC to make money in America. The obvious one is to play in Europe regularly and the Champions League sometimes. The related obvious one is to get invited to play in good money preseason friendlies in the United States. The third is to have a popular top American play as a regular starter. Everton has a following in the USA because of Tim Howard. Fulham had a following for a while because of Clint Dempsey. On the other hand, Joey Altidore didn't help Sunderland much. Much as I hate to admit it, right now there are no American national team players who would be available and good enough to start for us. (Yedlin might work out that way for the Spurs in the next few years.) Nevertheless, the Black Box should always be looking at plausible American candidates who have played the necessary 75% of recent US competitive international matches or who would require a high enough transfer fee to get a work permit.

There are really only three ways for Southampton FC to make money in America. The obvious one is to play in Europe regularly and the Champions League sometimes. The related obvious one is to get invited to play in good money preseason friendlies in the United States. The third is to have a popular top American play as a regular starter. Everton has a following in the USA because of Tim Howard. Fulham had a following for a while because of Clint Dempsey. On the other hand, Joey Altidore didn't help Sunderland much. Much as I hate to admit it, right now there are no American national team players who would be available and good enough to start for us. (Yedlin might work out that way for the Spurs in the next few years.) Nevertheless, the Black Box should always be looking at plausible American candidates who have played the necessary 75% of recent US competitive international matches or who would require a high enough transfer fee to get a work permit.

Even though I'm not in the US I'm a bit surprised that you missed one major factor - broadcasting exposure.

NBC paid a reported $1Bn roughly double what was paid 3 years ago and importantly is now broadcasting every game - this is a game changer in the states and so I would actually say it's naive for us to not try and tap into it as a long term growth market.

Hence, I thinkEurope (esp Europa) is not as critical as remaining consistently competitive in the PL over the coming years - I would argue beating Man U at Old Trafford on prime time has greater long term value than FC Mitjiland midweek.

Saints are well known in the Toronto area. The MLS team here is everybody's second team anyway. Go to the game and people are there in Juve, Milan, Utd, City e.t.c jerseys as well as Toronto. Because of the high amount of Europeans there is a strong knowledge of football and we are well respected for our ability to compete, play good football and produce talent. I'm sure that will be part of our strategy going forwards into the North American markets as the 'Southampton way' promotional stuff shows.

Thankfully you would never be owner in the first place, now get back to spouting b*ll*x on the What is Wrong With America thread where you belong.

Thankfully you would never be owner in the first place, now get back to spouting b*ll*x on the What is Wrong With America thread where you belong.

Do you think 2m commercial revenue increase is sufficient considering our significant increase in profile within English football ? We are the fastest increasing / improving sports brand in the world, apparently.

Personally, I find it a little on the light side too, I have to say.

Even though I'm not in the US I'm a bit surprised that you missed one major factor - broadcasting exposure.

NBC paid a reported $1Bn roughly double what was paid 3 years ago and importantly is now broadcasting every game - this is a game changer in the states and so I would actually say it's naive for us to not try and tap into it as a long term growth market.

Hence, I thinkEurope (esp Europa) is not as critical as remaining consistently competitive in the PL over the coming years - I would argue beating Man U at Old Trafford on prime time has greater long term value than FC Mitjiland midweek.

Definitely. Even here in Louisiana where nobody cares about football, I've had people talk to me in the last couple of weeks about us beating Chelsea. Because it was on TV at the right time and was widely available. And because I wear a t-shirt with 'Saints' on it often and have to explain to people that it's NOT the New Orleans Saints.

Europa is pretty hard to find over here. You never stumble across it by accident. NBC deal is quite a big deal for exposure over here..

Do you think 2m commercial revenue increase is sufficient considering our significant increase in profile within English football ? We are the fastest increasing / improving sports brand in the world, apparently.

Personally, I find it a little on the light side too, I have to say.

I would not beat up Krueger (or anyone else involved) regarding the Veho deal. While it is very light income wise, it was the right fit for the club at the time - someone available at short notice, a local firm, and a step in the right direction. But right now we need to look at a deal worth £5m+ a season at least - certainly if this table is anything to go by:

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/premier-league-shirt-sponsorship-deals/

That extra £4m a season would equal an extra 80k a week we can increase the wage bill by - and that is definitely very handy.