“Super computer” predicts final Premier League standings

Singapore Saint

after just 8 games...

http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/10/07/super-com:)puter-predicts-final-premier-league-standings/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Sorry but that is clearly bullcrap.... they must no less about football than they do modelling to have Newcastle above 18th.

You should always sense check your calculations, otherwise it is just plane embarrasing when mistakes like that get published. :mcinnes: :lol:

Interesting link though, thanks for sharing

Sorry but that is clearly bullcrap.... they must no less about football than they do modelling to have Newcastle above 18th.

You should always sense check your calculations, otherwise it is just plane embarrasing when mistakes like that get published. :mcinnes: :lol:

Yep. Should always double check the calculations.

And the spelling: that's often worth a second look too. :smug:

You should always sense check your calculations, otherwise it is just plane embarrasing when mistakes like that get published. :mcinnes: [emoji38]

Except it is perfectly possible Newcastle could finish 15th. It's October.

I am pretty sure the super computer uses lots more data that the results of the first eight games to make its prediction. It is just different from a preseason pick because it also uses the results of the first eight games. No doubt it views Chelsea as good enough to win the title based upon last year, but moves them down because their current record makes its difficult mathematically to reach first and because it suggests that they are not as good as they were.

Looking at that table my "super computer brain" could have picked those teams at the beginning of the season based on last years results Chelsea Man City Arsenal and Man Utd as the top four and then factored in the results so far this season and moved a few teams around come up with the same thing.

It will have no resemblance to the table at the end of the season you heard it here first.

Do I get a refund for my season tickets and would they please tell me now which games were going to lose in case I can find something better to do please?

I don't even know why the players will bother playing anymore with this level of predictability

*Awaits 'Super-Computer Watch' thread*

You're not wrong old boy. THis will be like heroin for some of the nerdy mugs on here. It'll be this season "we are 54% likely to make the champions league" threads. Everytime the super computer predicts that we'll finish above 8th people will be exicted tapping away about how amazing it is. When we lose a they'll be in dismay at how the data used cant be accurate and is baised towards the big clubs.

You're not wrong old boy. THis will be like heroin for some of the nerdy mugs on here. It'll be this season "we are 54% likely to make the champions league" threads. Everytime the super computer predicts that we'll finish above 8th people will be exicted tapping away about how amazing it is. When we lose a they'll be in dismay at how the data used cant be accurate and is baised towards the big clubs.

swap super computer for 'lawro'

I don't know why you haven't done it already? :D

i performed the same calculations on my Commodore 64.

Came out with Man City champions

Saints to finish 6th, Chelsea, Sunderland and Bournemouth to get relegated

Surely your C64 calculations would have Liverpool and Everton battling it out and Chelsea in the 2nd Division? Assuming you started running the programme in 1986, which would be a realistic runtime.