Gay Premier Leauge players?

W9Saint

Incidentally, I didn't know that that rugby ref was gay before I read this thread. The only way it has impacted on me is to be more aware that people might misinterpret me being critical of his rugby refereeing (with the piousness around the respect towards rugby officials a huge part of my general rugby dislike) as being a criticism of him as a person for other reasons.

It could be but there isn't really any way of knowing if it is a widespread problem, short of a study which surveys footballers to investigate. I'm not sure why you have a problem with the word maybe, it just shows that when we are discussing the motivations for gay footballers we really don't know a lot so best not to jump to conclusions. I used the gay friend comment to underline the fact that context is key with 'hate crimes' so why you keep bringing it up I have no idea. Do you have a problem with people having gay friends?

No, but I do have a problem with your hypocrisy in not wanting others to jump to conclusion around why gay footballers and others don't come out yet continuously do just that by linking it all to your tiny, microscopic view on and insight into what is undoubtedly a much more complex issue.

I'm not sure why anyone cares. If someone wants to tell people they are gay then good for them. Please don't make a big load of fuss about it though or try to capitalise out of the "fame".

I've heard tonnes of meatheads at saints games being homophobic and racist. Incidentally usually at away games. It seems a lot less frequent now that we're in the Prem but it was very common I found in the lower leagues.

I really respect people from the past who have stood out for gay rights as without them we wouldn't be where we are now, but I do tend to think the best way to deal with it now is to just ignore it and not take things too seriously. By taking something seriously and giving a reaction it's going to show that it still offends people. If you ignore it, they'll realise what they're saying is having no affect so is ultimately a pointless comment, much like their existence.

I agree with Hyp's comment earlier in the thread - it seems as if we've gone from it being a bad thing, to an OK thing, and now it's actually perceived as a good thing. As a gay guy it's pretty boring having the fact you're gay as the foremost talked about thing in your character. I'd rather people didn't bat an eyelid at it and got on with their lives.

I've heard tonnes of meatheads at saints games being homophobic and racist. Incidentally usually at away games. It seems a lot less frequent now that we're in the Prem but it was very common I found in the lower leagues.

I really respect people from the past who have stood out for gay rights as without them we wouldn't be where we are now, but I do tend to think the best way to deal with it now is to just ignore it and not take things too seriously. By taking something seriously and giving a reaction it's going to show that it still offends people. If you ignore it, they'll realise what they're saying is having no affect so is ultimately a pointless comment, much like their existence.

I agree with Hyp's comment earlier in the thread - it seems as if we've gone from it being a bad thing, to an OK thing, and now it's actually perceived as a good thing. As a gay guy it's pretty boring having the fact you're gay as the foremost talked about thing in your character. I'd rather people didn't bat an eyelid at it and got on with their lives.

Do me a favour mate. Don't ever, under any circumstances, look at sickipedia.

No, but I do have a problem with your hypocrisy in not wanting others to jump to conclusion around why gay footballers and others don't come out yet continuously do just that by linking it all to your tiny, microscopic view on and insight into what is undoubtedly a much more complex issue.

Hold on I haven't offered any conclusions about that. I've offered some suggestions rather than jumping to conclusions and stating things as fact like you have.

Exactly. I'd like to think that people have other things to talk about rather than branding someone a gay male. Maybe that's the mindset of footballers too and why they wouldn't want to come out and deal with both the positive and the negative attention. Thanks for giving your perspective and as a gay man I suspect it is slightly more informed on the issue than most of us on here.

Hold on I haven't offered any conclusions about that. I've offered some suggestions rather than jumping to conclusions and stating things as fact like you have.

I'm quite comfortable stating that some gay people, footballers or otherwise, are not open about their sexuality due to fear of the reaction as fact because it quite simply is.

I'm quite comfortable stating that some gay people, footballers or otherwise, are not open about their sexuality due to fear of the reaction as fact because it quite simply is.

You genuinely think they're frightened, or when you say fear do you mean concern, or worry?

Don't you think that most of the meat heads are just part of the herd . That on their own at work or socially they would just get on with it and not bat an eyelid . I'm not saying it's right and it is upsetting for the targets of their abuse , but football does tend to bring out the worst in people .

lol. I work in financial sales pal. No gay jokes that I haven't heard.

Here you go then, the only one I've ever written....

"Oh, go on love," I pleaded. "Just the once, and it's my birthday tomorrow..."

She thought for a moment, then said smoothly, "Ok, as it's your ultimate fantasy, I'll put on a lesbian show with Debbie for you."

I gulped.

"...BUT," she continued with a victorious smile, "only on one condition; that you do the same thing for me with your best mate."

I scrambled for the phone. "Hi Dave," I gasped, "Listen, do you mind if Lisa watches us next time?"

Edited by scotty

I simply said that it's certainly not something I have encountered and definitely not on a weekly basis. I'd be interested to know the sort of weekly encounters you have since it would help me to see what you consider homophobic. Rather like when Kelvins right glove on here was saying that Britain is a racist and sexist society ...

To attempt to argue that hate crimes, such as homophobia, can't exist in our society anymore, or are at most a marginal problem, because you don't happen to have witnessed any such incidents yourself is of course the stuff of nonsense. I don't happen to have personally witnessed any murder, rape or serious fraud offences in the last 12 months as it happens. Were I to be so foolish as to try and claim that none of these crimes can therefore exist as these offences were all outside of my personal experience then I would lay myself open to utter ridicule on here - and quite rightly so I think.

If you are really so very interested in my various encounters with homophobia, and other hate crimes, over the years then I'm more that happy to oblige you. I work daily with a number of (perfectly ordinary in my experience) working men of all age groups. I must inform you that in conversation with my fellow workers many of them quite frequently stray into casual derision of, and expressed revulsion towards, members of the so-called 'LGBT' community. You do know I hope that is the dictionary definition of homophobia - i.e. the dislike of, or prejudice against, homosexual people. You don't have to go out and give some poor bloke a bloody good kicking to be considered homophobic.

I must also inform you that some of your fellow citizens express what are indeed sexist and overtly racist viewpoints too - indeed I once worked with a ex Nottinghamshire miner and a former Dorset Constabulary policeman who, had their private conversations with me been recorded, would probably both be serving a 5 year stretch at HMP Parkhurst now. I left school back in 1979 and I've worked in many places over all those years and encountered much the same attitudes, to one degree or another, at almost every job I've ever held on a weekly (if not daily) basis. Back in my 'drinking days' the very same attitudes could be indeed be heard in almost any pub or club throughout the land.

What genuinely surprises me here is that you (and a few others) are so surprised that many common people are really like this. Perhaps you have experienced a atypically sheltered upbringing. Perhaps you are just a little naive about the world. For all I know you may even spend your time surrounded by far more enlightened and liberal attitudes up in a office somewhere than I have so very often experienced down on the 'shopfloor' of working life. But you can rest assured that not all British people, in their private conversations, always express the enlighten modern approach towards minority groups that some would hope they would.

Now if you are really 'seeking after the truth' here and want to gain a better understanding of this issue then read the following report and consider carefully what it says - you never know you might even learn something about life.

http://www.report-it.org.uk/files/stonewall_gay_british_crime_survey_2013.pdf

I don't believe gay players will truly be accepted until we have an annual gay player awards to celebrate the achievements of gay players in the game. I'd like to see a gay lawyer set up a support group as well to act as a spokesman on behalf of gay and straight fans who can be OUTRAGED whenever anything that can be linked to homophobia comes up, however tenuous it might be. Perhaps a kick homophobia out of football campaign with t-shirts, billboards and campaigns to raise awareness in the game. And why oh why aren't there any gay managers? This is a DISGRACE. More should be done to attract gay managers, I'd like to see the Mercury rule introduced where a gay manager has to be interviewed for every available job. I need people to do those things as it gives me a chance to show what a lovely guy I am and be OUTRAGED/supportive/proud/DISGUSTED when I can be and without all these things to draw our attention to it how are we supposed to know that homophobia is an issue in football and society?

I don't believe gay players will truly be accepted until we have an annual gay player awards to celebrate the achievements of gay players in the game. I'd like to see a gay lawyer set up a support group as well to act as a spokesman on behalf of gay and straight fans who can be OUTRAGED whenever anything that can be linked to homophobia comes up, however tenuous it might be. Perhaps a kick homophobia out of football campaign with t-shirts, billboards and campaigns to raise awareness in the game. And why oh why aren't there any gay managers? This is a DISGRACE. More should be done to attract gay managers, I'd like to see the Mercury rule introduced where a gay manager has to be interviewed for every available job. I need people to do those things as it gives me a chance to show what a lovely guy I am and be OUTRAGED/supportive/proud/DISGUSTED when I can be and without all these things to draw our attention to it how are we supposed to know that homophobia is an issue in football and society?

There's just one flaw in an otherwise immaculate argument, turks. If that happened, heterosexual men would pose as gays in order to get the prize. It's a slippery slope, and that isn't a euphemism.

There's just one flaw in an otherwise immaculate argument, turks. If that happened, heterosexual men would pose as gays in order to get the prize. It's a slippery slope, and that isn't a euphemism.

I get that it it's unlikely, that said though I've been asked a couple of times if I was gay, presumably because it was of my impressive physique, impeccable style of immaculate grooming. Once was in the queue to watch the wizard of oz at the cinema and the other was when I had my eyelashes tinted after a BS&C wax, cheeky little mix, LOL!!

To attempt to argue that hate crimes, such as homophobia, can't exist in our society anymore, or are at most a marginal problem, because you don't happen to have witnessed any such incidents yourself is of course the stuff of nonsense. I don't happen to have personally witnessed any murder, rape or serious fraud offences in the last 12 months as it happens. Were I to be so foolish as to try and claim that none of these crimes can therefore exist as these offences were all outside of my personal experience then I would lay myself open to utter ridicule on here - and quite rightly so I think.

If you are really so very interested in my various encounters with homophobia, and other hate crimes, over the years then I'm more that happy to oblige you. I work daily with a number of (perfectly ordinary in my experience) working men of all age groups. I must inform you that in conversation with my fellow workers many of them quite frequently stray into casual derision of, and expressed revulsion towards, members of the so-called 'LGBT' community. You do know I hope that is the dictionary definition of homophobia - i.e. the dislike of, or prejudice against, homosexual people. You don't have to go out and give some poor bloke a bloody good kicking to be considered homophobic.

I must also inform you that some of your fellow citizens express what are indeed sexist and overtly racist viewpoints too - indeed I once worked with a ex Nottinghamshire miner and a former Dorset Constabulary policeman who, had their private conversations with me been recorded, would probably both be serving a 5 year stretch at HMP Parkhurst now. I left school back in 1979 and I've worked in many places over all those years and encountered much the same attitudes, to one degree or another, at almost every job I've ever held on a weekly (if not daily) basis. Back in my 'drinking days' the very same attitudes could be indeed be heard in almost any pub or club throughout the land.

What genuinely surprises me here is that you (and a few others) are so surprised that many common people are really like this. Perhaps you have experienced a atypically sheltered upbringing. Perhaps you are just a little naive about the world. For all I know you may even spend your time surrounded by far more enlightened and liberal attitudes up in a office somewhere than I have so very often experienced down on the 'shopfloor' of working life. But you can rest assured that not all British people, in their private conversations, always express the enlighten modern approach towards minority groups that some would hope they would.

Now if you are really 'seeking after the truth' here and want to gain a better understanding of this issue then read the following report and consider carefully what it says - you never know you might even learn something about life.

I hope when you hear these homophobic, racist and sexist comments they are reported to management by yourself. I also wouldn't call them 'ordinary'. Ordinary people do not have these opinions.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

You were a witness to a crime that you think would warrant a stretch in a high security prison but you did not report it or do anything to address the situation?

Do tell us more about this real world you live in, the rest of us are suffering from our "sheltered upbringing" and are all "naive" and stuff.

Everyone knows the older generation is more racist, homophobic and sexist than the younger lot. Thankfully my generation are much improved.

You were a witness to a crime that you think would warrant a stretch in a high security prison but you did not report it or do anything to address the situation?

Do tell us more about this real world you live in, the rest of us are suffering from our "sheltered upbringing" and are all "naive" and stuff.

I work in Soho, and through the company I work for (where over 50% of the male employees are gay) I come into contact with more gay men than anyone on this forum I would say (oi, oi). I go out in Soho all the time. I've been doing this for 5 years, and have never heard or seen ANYTHING.

(oi, oi).

This comment alone I see as a one way ticket on the Isle of Wight ferry for you, young man.

I've spent a decade or so in marketing/brands/etc so a not dissimilar demographic to you and not seen or heard anything in the workplace, across various sites/offices/ideation hubs/think tanks. For the last year so am now based on a manufacturing site and work with various "types" of people in manufacturing/supply chain/ops (ie the opposite of Soho). Same story and I also know that if anything was heard or reported the senior management would be expected to (and indeed would) react very quickly. Simply unacceptable.

But that's just sheltered old naive me.

Strange that people who hold the opinion that this subject should be treated as a 'non issue' are deeply involved in a 4 page (and rising) thread !

I guess that's part of the problem and personally I'd like to see some players 'come out' soon because after an initial media spree I would expect it to die down very quickly as it did in rugby and American football !

The worst thing IMO about making a 'non issue' an 'issue' is that it keeps it going !

Let's move on..............

Strange that people who hold the opinion that this subject should be treated as a 'non issue' are deeply involved in a 4 page (and rising) thread !

I guess that's part of the problem and personally I'd like to see some players 'come out' soon because after an initial media spree I would expect it to die down very quickly as it did in rugby and American football !

The worst thing IMO about making a 'non issue' an 'issue' is that it keeps it going !

Let's move on..............

I'm not sure posting about it on a football forum is going to make it an issue in the eyes of the public! Just because the act of coming our or gay people in general are not really a big deal, doesn't mean the issues surrounding it aren't worth talking about and discussing. Particularly if there are people under the impression that disgusting homophobia is routinely spouted by average members of the British public on a daily basis!

How sheltered and naive we must be for questioning this narrative...

I work in Soho, and through the company I work for (where over 50% of the male employees are gay) I come into contact with more gay men than anyone on this forum I would say (oi, oi). I go out in Soho all the time. I've been doing this for 5 years, and have never heard or seen ANYTHING.

Working and socialising in Soho it's very unlikely you would hear anything. It would be a very different story if you were talking about say Middlesborough or Portsmouth...................

This comment alone I see as a one way ticket on the Isle of Wight ferry for you, young man.

I've spent a decade or so in marketing/brands/etc so a not dissimilar demographic to you and not seen or heard anything in the workplace, across various sites/offices/ideation hubs/think tanks. For the last year so am now based on a manufacturing site and work with various "types" of people in manufacturing/supply chain/ops (ie the opposite of Soho). Same story and I also know that if anything was heard or reported the senior management would be expected to (and indeed would) react very quickly. Simply unacceptable.

But that's just sheltered old naive me.

Well indeed, I just hope no-one shops me to the police. I'd hate to be one of those hate crime statistics.

Working and socialising in Soho it's very unlikely you would hear anything. It would be a very different story if you were talking about say Middlesborough or Portsmouth...................

Why is it unlikely? You get straight people there as well. Surely if someone wanted to go "gay bashing" that's the place to do it?

As said earlier I an sure it does happen, I just don't think it's anywhere near as prevalent as some make out.

Why is it unlikely? You get straight people there as well. Surely if someone wanted to go "gay bashing" that's the place to do it?

As said earlier I an sure it does happen, I just don't think it's anywhere near as prevalent as some make out.

That's my point. No one is denying it happens- undoubtedly it does.

That's my point. No one is denying it happens- undoubtedly it does.

Just because you don't see people shouting homophobic comments or committing hate crime on a daily basis doesn't mean homophobic attitudes don't exist. I would say it is much more prevalent than racism.

When was the last time you saw two gay fans holding hands or kissing at a football match? I've been going to football for over 30 years and don't remember one occasion.

Just because you don't see people shouting homophobic comments or committing hate crime on a daily basis doesn't mean homophobic attitudes don't exist. I would say it is much more prevalent than racism.

When was the last time you saw two gay fans holding hands or kissing at a football match? I've been going to football for over 30 years and don't remember one occasion.

But equally just because that's what you may experience does not mean it is prevalent in wider society or that your experience is typical of homophobic Britain. We have just as many posters on here saying that what you and others describe is not their reality just as there are people who support you. I don't see many if any gay people holding hands and kissing in public so not sure why a football match would be much different.

But equally just because that's what you may experience does not mean it is prevalent in wider society or that your experience is typical of homophobic Britain. We have just as many posters on here saying that what you and others describe is not their reality just as there are people who support you. I don't see many if any gay people holding hands and kissing in public so not sure why a football match would be much different.

I have seen many gay people holding hands etc before, go to Brighton or Soho and it is a very common sight, yet at St Mary's it's not.

The reasons for that is that is 1: There are probably more gay people in those places. and 2: They probably feel more comfortable/safer showing affection in these places than at a football ground - because of the culture that surrounds football.

I have seen many gay people holding hands etc before, go to Brighton or Soho and it is a very common sight, yet at St Mary's it's not.

The reasons for that is that is 1: There are probably more gay people in those places. and 2: They probably feel more comfortable/safer showing affection in these places than at a football ground - because of the culture that surrounds football.

I rarely see hetrosexual couples holding hands or displaying affection, in fact on the rare occasions Mrs Turkish has been allowed to come to a game its really grinded my gears when she tries be affectionate. Maybe gay people feel the same as that?

I rarely see hetrosexual couples holding hands or displaying affection, in fact on the rare occasions Mrs Turkish has been allowed to come to a game its really grinded my gears when she tries be affectionate. Maybe gay people feel the same as that?

I don't mean 2nd base or anything like that but I've seen plenty of couples holding hands etc.

You have to be naive in the extreme to not think the culture that surrounds football is not off-putting to homosexual displays of affection. Saints are a fairly decent club but I know some right nasty pieces of work that go to games.

I suspect that is true. Gay people feel more comfortable surrounded by other like minded people in Brighton and soho. That's hardly a shock.

Not homophobic one little bit but my advice too any footballer would be to stay in the closet about it. There'll just make themselves a target and the media will do my head in as well. I'd have major respect for any professional sportsman who came out though. Would be a tough call!!

Not homophobic one little bit but my advice too any footballer would be to stay in the closet about it. There'll just make themselves a target and the media will do my head in as well. I'd have major respect for any professional sportsman who came out though. Would be a tough call!!

I can see your point. I'm not sure I'd want the media hassle either.

Of course there are some gay footballers. I'm sure there are some gay footballers who would like to be open about it just as there will be some who wish to be private. At the risk of repeating myself, we don't know the reasons why though do we? I don't think we should leap to the assumption that it's because we are a homophobic society. I don't think that's true and it's just as likely to be other factors IMO.

At the risk of repeating myself I never said anything about there being a homophobic society. I simply believe that there are likely to be gay footballers, some of whom would like to be openly gay but, for for a possible multitude of reasons, are scared to be.

I suspect that is true. Gay people feel more comfortable surrounded by other like minded people in Brighton and soho. That's hardly a shock.

But they should feel comfortable everywhere, that's the point. That's why it's good that these famous people come out - because culture can change.

But they should feel comfortable everywhere, that's the point. That's why it's good that these famous people come out - because culture can change.

I didn't say they felt uncomfortable simply that they felt more comfortable among a load of other gay people in much the same way as most people feel more comfortable in the company of people who are the same as them. That's hardly earth shattering news.

Edited by hypochondriac

At the risk of repeating myself I never said anything about there being a homophobic society. I simply believe that there are likely to be gay footballers, some of whom would like to be openly gay but, for for a possible multitude of reasons, are scared to be.

And no one has really disagreed with that. It's what those reasons are and the numbers who feel this way that no one really knows for sure.

No more hassle than any straight player and the associated tabloid gossip about which page 3 girl he is sleeping with. After a couple of days of 'OMG player X is gay', there is nothing really to report disproportional to any straight player. I'm sure Heat magazine would be fascinated to know who his boyfriend is but no more so than if it was some female model, singer, actress etc.

I really don't think there is anything out there worth living a life of denial and sexual isolation over. Is it really worth wasting your life with a woman you don't love and can't satisfy in bed because your scared of a couple of idiots yelling, "oi pufta!" at a football game?