Saints as high as 200/1 for relegation

St Lej

You were doing comedy "we're going to be relegated" routines this time last year when we were in the top five. Anyone who has been on this forum for a few years knows exactly what you are.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it would be nice if you engaged in a discussion of the topic once in a while.

Odds on us to be relegated are now 40/1 with Stan James.

We were 200/1 prior to home matches against Spurs, Arsenal and the away match with West Ham.

To drop to 40/1 from 200/1 after collecting 3 points from those fixtures (roughly par for the course) is very strange. Honestly, I think SJ must have made a mistake or failed to update their book. Good bet.

Odds on us to be relegated are now 40/1 with Stan James.

We were 200/1 prior to home matches against Spurs, Arsenal and the away match with West Ham.

To drop to 40/1 from 200/1 after collecting 3 points from those fixtures (roughly par for the course) is very strange. Honestly, I think SJ must have made a mistake or failed to update their book. Good bet.

Are they allowing punters to cash out? If so, what are they offering if you backed relegation at 200/1.

Are they allowing punters to cash out? If so, what are they offering if you backed relegation at 200/1.

They don't, but I could probably lay the bet on Betfair for a ~£30 profit or so.

Would rather just let it ride though. £12 is nothing and I just want the peace of mind that insurance brings.

Betting on your own team to get relegated? :scared:

I've got £100 on Newport County to go down out of the football league this season at 5/1, looked like a very safe bet when the millionaire Chairman left in March, they released all but 4 players and appointed Terry Butcher, but somehow there are currently 4 teams worse than them. Will be delighted if they stay up though, but it was good value for what looked like a certainty in pre-season.

Betting on Saints to go down would just be stupid, it's not going to happen and it's not even close to happening this season, so there's no value there.

Betting on Saints to go down would just be stupid, it's not going to happen and it's not even close to happening this season, so there's no value there.

Then lay the bet at 1000/1 and take my money.

Incidentally, I seem to recall you telling me that I was stupid to suggest that our squad wasn't as strong as last seasons or the season before that.

You also told me that I was stupid to suggest that we direct our efforts away from the League Cup as we weren't strong enough to win it (which resulted in us getting ****ted 1-6 by Liverpool before subsequently dropping vital points at home to the bottom club Villa).

You don't appear to have a terrific track record here.

Lump on boys - Villa and Sunderland look like they're putting a run together. Koeman is clueless and lost the plot

Assume this is humour?

Villa 3 points from last six games. They look buggered.

We've picked up 4. Not ideal.

United also picked up 3 out of 18. Hilarious.

Sunderland 6, Chelsea 6, Everton 6.

So our form is not that out of line with many teams.

I'm not a betting man as such, but you could lock Villa in for the drop now just about. Not even a Leicester type revival could help them.

And that's the minimum Sunderland would need I reckon as well. Unlikely.

Swansea, Bournemouth, Norwich, Newcastle all likely to struggle on as well.

Not saying we COULDN'T find ourselves in trouble yet, but something REALLY bad would have to happen I think.

Assume this is humour?

I'm not a betting man as such, but you could lock Villa in for the drop now just about. Not even a Leicester type revival could help them.

Not saying we COULDN'T find ourselves in trouble yet, but something REALLY bad would have to happen I think.

Still more than Man Utd have got in December....!

I've got £100 on Newport County to go down out of the football league this season at 5/1, looked like a very safe bet when the millionaire Chairman left in March, they released all but 4 players and appointed Terry Butcher, but somehow there are currently 4 teams worse than them. Will be delighted if they stay up though, but it was good value for what looked like a certainty in pre-season.

Its not the value I am worried about though it is just the concept of betting on your own team to get relegated!

Assume this is humour?

Definitely sarcasm, debatable as to humour. There are so many sides worse than us - cannot be complacent but Sunderland and Villa have gone. My predictions are worth f all though as Ladbrokes will testify this season. Cue Sunderland to stuff Liverpool tonight

• 1 month later...
We are staying up

We are staying up

For those of us who were present in our hanging on days 37 points was always the target and we usually got there in the last one to three games

Although I do believe there was one team who went down on 37 so could be in trouble if we contrive to lose 13 games in a row!

I think West Ham went down on 40 points.

I think it was 42(may even have been 44) in 2003. I should know, I've heard there fans whinge about it often enough.

Although I hate to say it, just wish I had put money on spurs for the title!

Still think it will be Leicester I think they have unstoppable momentum (bar mass injuries) now.

Hopefully we will beat spurs and deny them the title by 3pts ?

Still think it will be Leicester I think they have unstoppable momentum (bar mass injuries) now.

Hopefully we will beat spurs and deny them the title by 3pts ?

I still don't think they will win the league. After Arsenal (which they can win) they have some blatantly winnable games - Norwich, Watford, Newcastle, West Brom, Palace.

But they walk into those games as the top team and with an expectation to win them. It's a new pressure, the pressure to turn up and win.

So I can easily see them beating Arsenal then saving their choking for matches against teams more desperate for points at the other end of the table.

Anyone who at any point this season thought we'd go down is very poor at being able to analyse the quality of players.

Anyone who put money on Saints to be relegated was wasting money whether the odds were 200/1 or 5000/1 or 1,000,000/1, it was never going to happen so didn't matter how good the odds looked it was wasted money. We only lost 3 players from last seasons squad of note and it wasn't hard to see they were all of good quality.

The only doubt should have been quite how good they could become, not that they were going to bring down the level of the rest of the squad to relegation fodder levels. There was still a huge amount of top half quality in the squad and the depth improved this summer as we not only brought in replacements for the 3 main departures, but also additional players which increased the number of senior players and depth to the squad.

Anyone who at any point this season thought we'd go down is very poor at being able to analyse the quality of players.

Anyone who put money on Saints to be relegated was wasting money whether the odds were 200/1 or 5000/1 or 1,000,000/1, it was never going to happen so didn't matter how good the odds looked it was wasted money.

If it was a sure thing, then I presume you put your life savings on against the bet when we were around 20/1? effortlessly helping yourselves to thousands of £££?

Glad I've lost the bet. It's just a self compensating mechanism I often use to compensate myself for potentially disastrous things happening to saints. Usually then guarantees saints coming good. It's not for everyone

I've said this several times.

If you take out life insurance, you are quite literally betting on your own death. Likewise if you take out fire insurance on your house - you're literally betting your house goes up in flames. There's not even a shred of exaggeration involved there; it's precisely what you're doing when you extrapolate the exchange of money vs circumstances needed for payout.

If people can grasp the concept of insurance for everything else, they should be able to grasp the concept when it comes to football.

If you take out life insurance, you are quite literally betting on your own death. Likewise if you take out fire insurance on your house - you're literally betting your house goes up in flames. There's not even a shred of exaggeration involved there; it's precisely what you're doing when you extrapolate the exchange of money vs circumstances needed for payout.

If people can grasp the concept of insurance for everything else, they should be able to grasp the concept when it comes to football.

I often bet against us. If we win it's cost me a tenner. If we lose I've got the financial gain to help soften the blow.

Anyone who put money on Saints to be relegated was wasting money whether the odds were 200/1 or 5000/1 or 1,000,000/1, it was never going to happen so didn't matter how good the odds looked it was wasted money. We only lost 3 players from last seasons squad of note and it wasn't hard to see they were all of good quality.

The only doubt should have been quite how good they could become, not that they were going to bring down the level of the rest of the squad to relegation fodder levels. There was still a huge amount of top half quality in the squad and the depth improved this summer as we not only brought in replacements for the 3 main departures, but also additional players which increased the number of senior players and depth to the squad.

This isn't really true, especially if you use betfair.

A couple of years ago, I placed a bet on Saints to win the league. Which is never going to happen (and even more "never going to happen" than relegation!)

The odds moved in by about 90% in the first couple of months, just before we lost 2-0 away Arsenal. I cashed out just before this match, making a 1,000% return on my stake.

If you could get 1,000,000/1 on Saints being relegated a little while back, you'd have been made not to take it (even on an expected value basis, even if you can't cash out). And as we sit today, 1,000,000/1 is probably worth it (although it would probably be some weird points deduction for something that would be more likely to get us relegated that us losing 13 matches in a row).

No you are not, when you buy insurance you are purchasing the restoration of your position before an act occurs. So if your house burns down you get your house put back etc you are not betting on it. Betting you want something to happen, insurance you don't want it to happen but you get restoration of it does, winning £50 on Saints losing doesn't restore you to your previous position, it might make you feel better but I know it wouldn't make me feel better.

I still don't think they will win the league. After Arsenal (which they can win) they have some blatantly winnable games - Norwich, Watford, Newcastle, West Brom, Palace.

But they walk into those games as the top team and with an expectation to win them. It's a new pressure, the pressure to turn up and win.

So I can easily see them beating Arsenal then saving their choking for matches against teams more desperate for points at the other end of the table.

Not to mention us. As we'll hopefully still be in the mix for a top 6 spot at that stage I'm not charitable enough to wish them another three points to stave off Spurs.

But I would hate it if we beat them and it ended up being the difference in them claiming the title or those London bastards winning it instead.

Of course, if we can go to WHL as well and nick a win then all's well that ends well.

No you are not, when you buy insurance you are purchasing the restoration of your position before an act occurs. So if your house burns down you get your house put back etc you are not betting on it. Betting you want something to happen, insurance you don't want it to happen but you get restoration of it does, winning £50 on Saints losing doesn't restore you to your previous position, it might make you feel better but I know it wouldn't make me feel better.

Quite. I'll win £600 if Newport County get relegated this season, but it'll take a lot more money than that to get them back up OR to make me feel better about it.

Without knowing any of the posters well or in person, I don't think many people will be able to irrefutably comprehend whether or not certain posts are sarcasm or not.

Yes appreciate that. For the record I was mocking some people's reaction to our poor run and how relegation was on the cards and Koeman didn't have a clue.