New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Most of the names in those betting lists are awful. Certainly nowhere near Pochettino or Koeman levels in the main.

Hopefully we have bothered to have meetings about potential replacements and have something left field in mind.

Pretty sure Les or Kruger said in the past they 'scout' managers as well as players so they are prepared for these type of situations.

Pretty sure Les or Kruger said in the past they 'scout' managers as well as players so they are prepared for these type of situations.

Yeah they definitely did. Hopefully they have seen this situation with Koeman coming and can reacr quickly.

With Pochettino we knew about 6 months prior that it was highly likely he would leave, from Guan's comments it sounds similar perhaps here. Hopefully so and they get their no1 choice regardless of whether that is a free agent.

Also try and give them a 4 year contract!

The "I have one year left on my contract" has always felt like an advert rather than an assurance, and I suspect the board have wondered if they could realistically extend his stay. So I would think they were very prepared for this eventuality and have a shortlist ready.

As much as I would like someone like Emery, De Boer (i.e someone with their managerial career ahead of them). I would take Pellegrini for 3 years so I can have some relatively peaceful summer breaks.

At 62, his next job after the one he picks up this summer will be as manager of Chile.

Its not like he has not managed at the very highest level and biggest clubs either, whilst also achieving "success" with Villarreal and Malaga.

I have to say that Gary Rowett has done a fantastic job at Brum. Whether he has a big enough name or reputation I am not sure, but he seems to have real managerial ability.

Les is definitely a fan. Imagine the meltdown on here if that happened.

Apart from the fact he is head coach (aka manager) in the MLS?

But he's not exactly achived anything to suggest he's going to be anything decent at a higher level. I'd prefer to leave those sorts of gambles/giggs/neville etc to the Villa's and Newcastle and other NPC clubs. We're in a position to attract a top European manager.

But he's not exactly achived anything to suggest he's going to be anything decent at a higher level. I'd prefer to leave those sorts of gambles/giggs/neville etc to the Villa's and Newcastle and other NPC clubs. We're in a position to attract a top European manager.

Agree, but that wasn't what you asked.

Pellegrini or Emery for me.

Probably prefer Pellegrini because of his EPL experience.

Would bring some calmness, dignity and gravitas to the situation. Knows how to handle a joint EPL/European campaign, and has done well bringing through youth.

He's said if he doesn't get a good offer this summer then he's retiring. So we could be his last club. He could be the guy to take us forward in the short term. (is there ever a 'long term' in footbal these days?)

Of course the downside is our usual aim of going for younger, ambitious managers: so does he fit? Or does that really matter?

Here's an idea.....

Pellegrini with Howe as his number two. Giving Eddie the chance to develop and learn his trade, so he can take over seamlessly in 2/3 years.

Dream team?!

Err, more chance of Mourinho being appointed next week for us than that scenario happening

£200m must be with sales of Stones,Barkley and Lukaku.

The only good thing about this situation is the world and his dog now know Everton think they are big time so when they do go to buy the asking price goes up :lol:

I think we need a big name manager someone to give the fans the buzz that we had with Koeman and show the players we are serious about progression. There are some big name managers out there who if we made a play for them could be tempted to come to saints. Somebody like Eddie Howe could in time prove to be good but in my opinion wouldn't be the right choice at the moment as he is too much of a gamble. I would like to see us go for Simeone but obviously that won't happen so Pellegrini or Emre, I wonder if Benitez wishes he hadn't committed to the geordies quite so soon.

My hope is that the club new this was happening a few weeks ago so already have a shortlist and approached some other managers, if they have been caught out by it in last 48 hours then I worry. Will take a while to get someone new in. Emery would be the dream. Not sure why people would like Pellegrini - he got 6 points more than us with an incredible squad. Howe I cant see it happening. Lets just pray Hodgson doesn't have a **** euros and the board thinks he will be a good replacement!

How does this work with FFP? Revenues of the premier league clubs outside of the top two/three are 150m-200m ish.

How can Everton spend £200m ?

Didn't they change the FFP rules last year to 'encourage investment'? Think owners (particularly new ones) are allowed to pump money in for first 3-5 years now as long as they can show plans to eventually become self-sustaining through revenue growth.

“Whether they are fired or attracted to another club, as with Mauricio [Pochettino], you have to be as far ahead with potential coaches as potential players. So I’m always tracking managers and coaches. What’s their style of play, how successful are they, what’s their personality like – so you can be ahead of the game. So I’m always looking at five or six potential managers who have already impressed me".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

We are the calm in this summer's tempest.

“Whether they are fired or attracted to another club, as with Mauricio [Pochettino], you have to be as far ahead with potential coaches as potential players. So I’m always tracking managers and coaches. What’s their style of play, how successful are they, what’s their personality like – so you can be ahead of the game. So I’m always looking at five or six potential managers who have already impressed me".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

We are the calm in this summer's tempest.

Great minds again, mate.

Was just going to post this:

Reed talks about how we found Poch & talks about the hunt for a coach after he left (Pre-Ronald)

The "I have one year left on my contract" has always felt like an advert rather than an assurance, and I suspect the board have wondered if they could realistically extend his stay. So I would think they were very prepared for this eventuality and have a shortlist ready.

Not to mention it wasn't to long ago RK said it would be a difficult choice for him to stay on if the club didn't qualify for European football. That may have been a bit of a hint. Turns out we did qualify, but perhaps he wants more.

Whatever. If he's made a choice so be it. We will just carry on.

Would love Pellegrini, think he wants to stay in England if the opportunity is right, his job at City was good but not great, but his job at Malaga was fantastic and performances in Europe with a limited side were equally so, which is what we need. The same with Emery, but I do feel like both may not be interested. Laurent Blanc maybe an outside bet? Left PSG but as far as I'm aware not linked with anything at the moment unless I've missed that he's taken a job elsewhere! Feel like De Boer is the easy link for journalists because we've gone Dutch before. Knowing us it'll be someone not on the list of favourites with the bookies, which is the way I like it. As bad as it sounds I hope we don't go British, just nothing inspiring out there for me. We need someone who has handled a European campaign, in a state of transition as we may be this season, and the extra demands of 6 Europa games, we need someone who knows how to deal with it and then we'll be fine. Starting to get excited now.

Emery, De Boer, Sampaoli, Ancelloti, would consider Hoddle too, for his publicised personal ills, remains a master tactician and I remember us playing excellently under hin

He is completely out of touch with modern football, you only need to hear him commentate on ITV to realise that. The last time he managed was 10 years ago!

We *could* make the case that our managers role, if it becomes vacant in the next couple of weeks, is one of the most (if not the most) attractive positions available in world football this summer.

Incredibly exciting league, with some huge name managers set to collide next season, new money, a club with ambition, a stable infrastructure and European football.

What other 'big' jobs are out there right now? What other 'bigger' jobs than Saints?

If/when it comes to it we will get some very interesting applicants.

Exciting times.

We *could* make the case that our managers role, if it becomes vacant in the next couple of weeks, is one of the most (if not the most) attractive positions available in world football this summer.

Incredibly exciting league, with some huge name managers set to collide next season, new money, a club with ambition, a stable infrastructure and European football.

What other 'big' jobs are out there right now? What other 'bigger' jobs than Saints?

If/when it comes to it we will get some very interesting applicants.

Exciting times.

Everton, it seems