• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Well clearly you won't bump into him at St Mary's. Home match tonight and the "braggart" is posting about Brexit and getting off on what is written about Brexit in tomorrow's Daily Telegraph. What a strange supporter of the team.

Season ticket holder and my son was ill, you fu ckw!t..

Paragraph 5 of Article XXIV of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade:

5. Accordingly, the provisions of this Agreement shall not prevent, as between the territories of contracting parties, the formation of a customs union or of a free-trade area or the adoption of an interim agreement necessary for the formation of a customs union or of a free-trade area; Provided that:

a) with respect to a customs union, or an interim agreement leading to a formation of a customs union, the duties and other regulations of commerce imposed at the institution of any such union or interim agreement in respect of trade with contracting parties not parties to such union or agreement shall not on the whole be higher or more restrictive than the general incidence of the duties and regulations of commerce applicable in the constituent territories prior to the formation of such union or the adoption of such interim agreement, as the case may be;

(b) with respect to a free-trade area, or an interim agreement leading to the formation of a free-trade area, the duties and other regulations of commerce maintained in each of the constituent territories and applicable at the formation of such free–trade area or the adoption of such interim agreement to the trade of contracting parties not included in such area or not parties to such agreement shall not be higher or more restrictive than the corresponding duties and other regulations of commerce existing in the same constituent territories prior to the formation of the free-trade area, or interim agreement as the case may be; and

© any interim agreement referred to in subparagraphs (a) and (b) shall include a plan and schedule for the formation of such a customs union or of such a free-trade area within a reasonable length of time.

Still sounds like a plan to me...

What good is that going to do them? Once the digital tax rules are imposed by the EU, they won't be able to steal US tax dollars any more. Read about it here. The leprechaun economics of the Irish will unravel and they'll be back to the low value economy they've always had.

Oh and Barclays hold over one trillion pounds in capital in the UK, so I make that a shift of less than 17% of other peoples money being strategically moved, not that the Irish will get any of it. They still owe us over £3 billion from the last time we bailed them out.

Do you not understand the irrelevance of what you're writing? The point is the money is moving due to Brexit, whether you believe it's prudent or not.

Do you not understand the irrelevance of what you're writing? The point is the money is moving due to Brexit, whether you believe it's prudent or not.

Someone who deals in soil, or something, knows far more about economics then Barclays...

My comments related to the Irish and its economy, not whether Barclays was prudent, or not. It's obviously a sensible move for Barclays so that they can maintain their "passporting" rights after a no deal exit. It'll do f*** all for the Irish economy, apart from 300 jobs that will be moved from the EU to Dublin. Read about it below:

Barclays is moving €190bn (£166bn) of assets to Dublin because it "cannot wait any longer" to implement its Brexit contingency plan. The High Court, which has approved the move, says the move involves 5,000 clients. However, few jobs in London are expected to be affected. The business amounts to around 15% of the bank's £1.2 trillion in total assets and was previously conducted in the UK through branches across the EU. The plans will be in place by 29 March.

The bank's Dublin operation is expected to double in size to 300 people as a result of the business being channelled though the Irish capital. "As we announced in 2017, Barclays will use our existing licensed EU-based bank subsidiary to continue to serve our clients within the EU beyond 29 March 2019, regardless of the outcome of Brexit," the bank said.

"Our preparations are well-advanced and we expect to be fully operational by 29 March 2019," it added. The bank had to ask the High Court for approval to transfer the business which took place in branches in Germany, France, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal and Sweden for corporate banking, investment banking and some wealthy private clients.

You’re such a dumb ****er yet again you aren’t able to even understand the articles you link supposedly in support of your case. The money banked in the EU used to be managed in London , now it will be managed in Dublin. That’s 150 well paid investment manager and analyst jobs lost from London. Directly and solely due to Brexit.

My comments related to the Irish and its economy, not whether Barclays was prudent, or not. It's obviously a sensible move for Barclays so that they can maintain their "passporting" rights after a no deal exit. It'll do f*** all for the Irish economy, apart from 300 jobs that will be moved from the EU to Dublin. Read about it below:

No, the jobs will go from London to Ireland. Just because the money managed is from the EU, doesn't mean it's managed in those specific countries.

GM, if the transfer of Barclays assets was solely from EU branches to Dublin, why do you think the High Court of the UK had to approve ? The reality is that the 'front office' functions are run in branches across the EU, whilst the 'back office' function was managed in the UK. It is this back office activity that is being transferred.

That’s 150 well paid investment manager and analyst jobs lost from London

Isn't that a good thing though? I thought most people hated these overpaid investment banking leeches? Maybe Brexit could be the downfall of rampant capitalism in the UK? Every cloud and all that.... ;)

You’re such a dumb ****er yet again you aren’t able to even understand the articles you link supposedly in support of your case. The money banked in the EU used to be managed in London , now it will be managed in Dublin. That’s 150 well paid investment manager and analyst jobs lost from London. Directly and solely due to Brexit.

Another project fear idiot who can't read:

...However, few jobs in London are expected to be affected...

GM, if the transfer of Barclays assets was solely from EU branches to Dublin, why do you think the High Court of the UK had to approve ?

I'm no banking expert, but, given Barclays chequered history with complying with the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, I would have imagined that the transfer of assets across borders would have to be approved by a court. I mean, I doubt if Barclays want the transfer of someone else's assets to fall foul of their legal responsibilities under any relevant legislation.

I'm no banking expert, but, given Barclays chequered history with complying with the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, I would have imagined that the transfer of assets across borders would have to be approved by a court. I mean, I doubt if Barclays want the transfer of someone else's assets to fall foul of their legal responsibilities under any relevant legislation.

Understatement there...you don't seem to be an expert in much.

Paragraph 5 of Article XXIV of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade:

Still sounds like a plan to me...

So you're still peddling an obscure, rarely used provision because you've had your pants pulled down.

You do realise that an interim agreement requires the EU to agree and sign up to it? That it also requires jointly agreed detail on what the final deal would look like as well as a clear plan and timetable for completing it?

Given the no deal circumstances in which the jihadists see the article being invoked -the UK walking away from the Withdrawal Agreement, having ditched the backstop and refused to pay the money its previously agree to pay and zero clue about what it wants for the future relationship with the EU, it doesn't take a genius to realise there's a slight problem in your not so cunning plan.

Every trade expert knows its a red herring. Even Brexiters with a shred of self-respect or intelligence know it. But as you're neither, I guess its a different matter chump :lol:

Edited by shurlock

The 73-year-old former builder and engineer said he had been lied to by the leave campaign. “They didn’t tell us the true facts. They kept us in the dark like mushrooms and fed us bull****,” he said. “We voted because of immigration and we didn’t realise how poor we would be. It will be terrible but I still want it, because of immigration.”

Sums.it.up

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/30/it-is-terrible-but-i-still-want-it-crewe-voters-size-up-no-deal-brexit

Oh look, it's the Guardian propagating project fear with a bit of anecdotal whataboutery. Pathetic. Nobody takes them any more seriously on articles like this than they do with the equivalent ones in the Daily Express.

Ah the DT. When I looked on their online pages in the new year. every single article was about Charles Moore demanding/pleading for no-deal Brexit. Imagine if he actually had to write his own views and not have the Barclay Brothers bellowing at him?

Or the Not Independent not writing on behalf of their Russian former KGB owner.

Oh look, it's the Guardian propagating project fear with a bit of anecdotal whataboutery. Pathetic. Nobody takes them any more seriously on articles like this than they do with the equivalent ones in the Daily Express.

He's one of your own mate - one of the guys that will make Britain great again - don't blame the messenger.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/your-guide-to-the-blissfully-simple-world-of-brexiters-20190131181948

Your guide to the blissfully simple world of Brexiters

HAVE you ever wondered how Brexiters manage to have such a simplistic view of everything? Here Leave voter Norman Steele explains how the world works.

Other people’s jobs

Any job you don’t understand is easy. For example, being a surgeon is just a matter of having a steady hand and knowing what goes where. I could do it. I’ve made Airfix kits.

International trade

It beats me why we need all these trade agreements and regulations. My local car boot sale just charges £7 a pitch and last Saturday I made a profit of £22 – plus I got rid of that dodgy gas heater! Perhaps we should be thinking of moving to a system more like this.

Science

Any scientist will tell you there are no facts, just wild guesses. Sure, they come up with ‘theories’ like global warming, but how’s that better than my theory that cats have their own secret language?

Post-Brexit air travel

People keep fretting about this but they’re bound to sort something out. If they don’t we’ll just employ ballsy pilots who’ll dive in and land when there’s a gap in the air traffic.

Being successful

The only way to be successful in life is good, honest graft. For some reason people get annoyed and start arguing when I say things like this, so I just imagine a little tune in my head and stop listening.

Relationships

The reason so many relationships fail is that people aren’t prepared to work at them. My marriage is an exhausting, never-ending slog, or at least that’s how my wife describes it.

Another project fear idiot who can't read:

Question - if the news articles state that the number of people working on the EU funds in Dublin is to "double" to 300, does that not imply that 150 jobs are affected by the change ? Given the numbers working in the City, 150 probably amounts to "a few". But you are never one to miss an opportunity to fire off a new verbal attack before the rational part of your brain has engaged.

Fair enough, you find my insults to be boring and I find yours to be juvenile. I'm so pleased that I bring a bit of lighthearted hilarity into your otherwise dull and humourless life.

I find your opinions boring though.

Very weak response. She's a good laugh, just as you are.

Man, you really can't move for contradicting yourself can you?

So you're still peddling an obscure, rarely used provision because you've had your pants pulled down.

You do realise that an interim agreement requires the EU to agree and sign up to it? That it also requires jointly agreed detail on what the final deal would look like as well as a clear plan and timetable for completing it?

Given the no deal circumstances in which the jihadists see the article being invoked -the UK walking away from the Withdrawal Agreement, having ditched the backstop and refused to pay the money its previously agree to pay and zero clue about what it wants for the future relationship with the EU, it doesn't take a genius to realise there's a slight problem in your not so cunning plan.

Every trade expert knows its a red herring. Even Brexiters with a shred of self-respect or intelligence know it. But as you're neither, I guess its a different matter chump :lol:

And even if there wasn't all that history, this Article is invoked by people who want low tariff trade with the rest of the world. All being equal, why would the EU grandfather the EU trade and customs arrangements with a third party with which it shares a border which simultaneously wants to actively promote it's own low-tariff imports from the rest of the world? Answer: it wouldn't. Viz. Turkey, the EEA countries etc. and the rules on collectivism when it comes to outside trade agreements. You want the arrangements, you make payments and you agree to other restrictions / freedoms.

Edited by benjii

And even if there wasn't all that history, this Article is invoked by people who want low tariff trade with the rest of the world. All being equal, why would the EU grandfather the EU trade and customs arrangements with a third party with which it shares a border which simultaneously wants to actively promote it's own low-tariff imports from the rest of the world? Answer: it wouldn't. Viz. Turkey, the EEA countries etc. and the rules on collectivism when it comes to outside trade agreements. You want the arrangements, you make payments and you agree to other restrictions / freedoms.

Exactly. Any interim agreement assumes both parties are agreed on the direction of travel. Leaving aside the fact that the future trade relationship is outside the EU’s current mandate, there is absolutely no way it would agree to an endpoint that eliminated tariffs with a third party that shared a border –let alone the Irish border- without the types of assurances or arrangements you mention. Still it won’t stop the usual cretins talking in hushed, conspiratorial tones and make-believe legalese about secret weapons with which to corner johnny foreigner.

Best BBC news video ever, showing Theresa May flying over to Brussels here.

F***ing hilarious

I expect the vast majority of Brexit voters still think it's the war anyway, so are wondering what all the fuss is about. The senile old idiots.

Edited by LGTL

Question - if the news articles state that the number of people working on the EU funds in Dublin is to "double" to 300, does that not imply that 150 jobs are affected by the change ? Given the numbers working in the City, 150 probably amounts to "a few". But you are never one to miss an opportunity to fire off a new verbal attack before the rational part of your brain has engaged.

Is it not feasible that the 150 extra jobs being created are largely clerical / ad-ministerial? After all, we've already been told (by Jeff?) that whilst the funds may have been invested in the European countries mentioned, they weren't necessarily managed in those countries.

Playing devil's advocate, is it possible that the highly paid - used to be hated, but apparently loved again - "bankers" could still manage the funds from London (hence the 'few' job losses in London), whilst the admin work is carried out in Dublin to take advantage of it's location within Europe.

Seems plausible?

////// After all, we've already been told (by Jeff?) that whilst the funds may have been invested in the European countries mentioned, they weren't necessarily managed in those countries.

They are currently managed in London, hence the need to relocate due to the 'passporting' rules that are affected by a 'no-deal' Brexit.

I see the insular, narrow-minded protectionist EU with its hatred of trade with the wider world is at it again today.

If only these Eurocrat idiots realised that there is a whole wide world out there beyond just caring about Spanish orange growers.

When we're free of this dictatorship we could, like, do trade deals with Japan and stuff.

I see the insular, narrow-minded protectionist EU with its hatred of trade with the wider world is at it again today.

If only these Eurocrat idiots realised that there is a whole wide world out there beyond just caring about Spanish orange growers.

When we're free of this dictatorship we could, like, do trade deals with Japan and stuff.

Thanks CB, this was finally moved me onto the next stage...

- Denial

- Anger

- Bargaining

- Depression

- Acceptance

Only one stage to go, and I can too be a racist and not care about it.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction