SKD appointed to Executive Role

SO16_Saint

Great news!

http://mobile.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160713-kelvin-davis-football-development-executive-3182467.aspx

Video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/9ErW_DgfBoQ

Acting as a club ambassador externally, Kelvin will also look to develop his coaching qualifications, ultimately leading to a long-term career in a football management capacity.

Kelvin will work alongside Executive Director of Football Les Reed and the Club Secretary in communicating with the club’s professionals.

“The main role for me now is to communicate with the manager, ensure that all the players in the first team are where they need to be and make sure there’s that link between the dressing room and the management staff.

Edited by SO16_Saint

It's a nice little role for him. He's well respected by the players and hierarchy and will be working between both. Many coaches are just coaches who struggle with player management, KD will be spending 3 days on the training ground and 2 days suited and booted. It's as close to a football management apprenticeship as there could be.

I hope all negative people bow their heads in shame - this shows how well run this club is.

Well done - again Saints FC!

Absolutely but it is also a real job. Kelvin knows the club and the players so well that both players and management will see him as a reliable source of information. If players have any doubts about what the management and coaches are telling them they will receive it with far more confidence from KD and equally, he can give the coaches the dressing room opinions without being biased. It's an excellent move for continuity in a business where change happens very quickly

"Ensure that all players in the first team are where they need to be." A bit too late for Sadio then.

Not really because the fee for Mané was like picking Liverpool's pocket again. The player didn't want to be here and allowed his lack of enthusiasm to show. His form was intermittent and there were plenty of times when he wasn't an automatic selection. Redmond may not be his replacement but with JRod, Austin and Long there are some excellent first choice attacking players in the squad even before looking at the back-up from the promising younger players, and having cleared Mané out has opened a gap for Redmond to have the wide role.

Also worth remembering that the club has received £64m in transfer fees, half being from the Mané deal, of which only £24m has been spent so far. With £40m still available there is every possibility of another 2 or 3 more transfers coming in. As with Højbjerg, we may not hear about them until they happen but one of Kelvin's new roles could well be to show new players the way around and do the introduction to the club.

I think the bit where he keeps tabs on players who are on loan is significant. In recent years not too much attention was paid to on loan players to the detriment of their development.

Thats not totally true though is it?. A couple of loans were cancelled last year because they were not getting games, one of which I believe was Sam Gallagher !

Thats not totally true though is it?. A couple of loans were cancelled last year because they were not getting games, one of which I believe was Sam Gallagher !

Yea that is true but I don't believe the club kept their eye on the ball until too late, I am talking about lack of fitness and proper training. Koeman basically wanted the U21 players out of sight and mind in my opinion.

Yea that is true but I don't believe the club kept their eye on the ball until too late, I am talking about lack of fitness and proper training. Koeman basically wanted the U21 players out of sight and mind in my opinion.

well his actions and treatment of Targett at Leicester as well as ignoring Harrison Reed after what looked a very encouraging start a couple of seasons ago tend to support that opinion.

Thats also why it makes sense to develop a relationship with a couple of Clubs we trust and potentially send more than one player somewhere if we know they are being looked after.

Walsall seem to be favoured judging by their Manager's comments re McCarthy.

He'll be good in this new role for the club. His experience and personality are just what the club needs in guiding our youngsters as they progress their careers at Saints.

I'm delighted for Kelvin, and pleased that SFC has seen the potential in this appointment.

Yea that is true but I don't believe the club kept their eye on the ball until too late, I am talking about lack of fitness and proper training. Koeman basically wanted the U21 players out of sight and mind in mine opinion.

Fixed

This appointment seems a bit of a 'halfway house' to me. Does a football club need a go between as a buffer between players and management, or someone to act as 'personal tutor' for a new signing ? Not sure.

I don't think the club would appoint a former payer as a 'gesture' or just as a meet and greeter. Kelvin is an intelligent and articulate bloke though, and knowing how we like to have a successiion plan in place for players, and managers , I wonder if this is a groooming to learn 'the football business' and be trained to take over when Les Reed retires perhaps ?