Rumours of takeover/investment interest

eling-saint

Because changes in shareholdings for a Private Company only need to be notified through the Confirmation Statement (which superseded the Annual Return) which is filed once a year. The Confirmation Statement discloses shareholders and officers of the company. The next Confirmation Statement for Southampton Football Club Limited is due for filing by 5 October 2017. The Confirmation Statement for the Holding Company, St Marys Football Group Limited is due for filing in July 2017. Therefore unless the Club make a formal statement first, we will not find out if shares have been purchased until these Confirmation Statements have been filed. Alternatively the 2016 Financial Statements may make reference to any changes in shareholdings by way of a note to the accounts.

Edited by Hyde and Seek

"Lander Sports... in February, became the fifth Chinese company to back a professional soccer team in the U.K., acquiring an undisclosed stake in top-ranking Southampton F.C."

Surely the Club would have been delighted with such an investment and made a high profile announcement. No such announcement has been made so the story cannot be true.

Because changes in shareholdings for a Private Company only need to be notified through the Confirmation Statement (which superseded the Annual Return) which is filed once a year. The Confirmation Statement discloses shareholders and officers of the company. The next Confirmation Statement for Southampton Football Club Limited is due for filing by 5 October 2017. The Confirmation Statement for the Holding Company, St Marys Football Group Limited is due for filing in July 2017. Therefore unless the Club make a formal statement first, we will not find out if shares have been purchased until these Confirmation Statements have been filed. Alternatively the 2016 Financial Statements may make reference to any changes in shareholdings by way of a note to the accounts.

Aye, but we would have to notify the football authorities for their own governance rules, I would imagine, and then there's a good chance the news would leak.

I would be staggered if an actual share purchase has completed without any announcement from Saints.

I suspect this is a misapprehension of Lander's prior announcements around its exclusivity period.

If they have got a stake in the club what role do you think they will have?

IMHO It's just for the new stadium and a network towards getting more Chinese players in the premiership.

Why do we need a new stadium? The attendances aren't big enough to warrant a bigger ground, nor is there any real need to move. As for Chinese players in the Premier League, that would be some way off considering how poor the national team is and the work permit problems.

Why do we need a new stadium? The attendances aren't big enough to warrant a bigger ground, nor is there any real need to move. As for Chinese players in the Premier League, that would be some way off considering how poor the national team is and the work permit problems.

We're averaging 97% attendance this year I think?

Did we think leaving a 15,000 dell stadium would be a bad move as it meant we had to find an extra 15,000 fans?

Did Spurs think moving European games to Wembley would leave the stadium half empty?

Did we think leaving a 15,000 dell stadium would be a bad move as it meant we had to find an extra 15,000 fans?

Did Spurs think moving European games to Wembley would leave the stadium half empty?

When we were at the Dell we could easily demonstrate we had demand which was not being met - it was murder for the casual fan to get tickets once we'd gone all-seater.

Spurs have a huge season ticket waiting list demonstrating with unarguable, empirical facts that they have a huge unmet demand for tickets that justifies gigantic investment in a new stadium.

Despite arguably the most sustained period of success in our entire history, we don't have that at all.

When we were at the Dell we could easily demonstrate we had demand which was not being met - it was murder for the casual fan to get tickets once we'd gone all-seater.

Spurs have a huge season ticket waiting list demonstrating with unarguable, empirical facts that they have a huge unmet demand for tickets that justifies gigantic investment in a new stadium.

Despite arguably the most sustained period of success in our entire history, we don't have that at all.

Lol top trolling 6.5/10

it doesnt come overnight, and whilst you believe it is very successful the constant selling of star players takes its toll on fans who lose interest.

Getting to cup finals cements fans support, actually winning something adds anotehr tranche of fans. Finishing 12th may seem fantastic to some but that will never get the stadium full.

A sustained period of challenging and getting close to finals or winning is the recipe needed.

We have cemented our place in the PL (again) and so we will see if we kick on or be satisfied with mid table year on year

We have sold out quite a lot this season, though I don't think we ned a new stadium. But to expand Kingsland to hold another 4,000 or so, as has always been planned, would be am excellent idea.

it doesnt come overnight, and whilst you believe it is very successful the constant selling of star players takes its toll on fans who lose interest.

Getting to cup finals cements fans support, actually winning something adds anotehr tranche of fans. Finishing 12th may seem fantastic to some but that will never get the stadium full.

A sustained period of challenging and getting close to finals or winning is the recipe needed.

We have cemented our place in the PL (again) and so we will see if we kick on or be satisfied with mid table year on year

There's no evidence of the fans losing interest. I imagine we will finish the season by selling more tickets this season that we ever have before in our history.

We had excellent gates and plenty of full stadiums when we were battling relegation from the Prem and bimbling about in 12th-16th. Those facts suggest we would fill the stadium pretty easily from 12th place as we have a clear track record of doing so, so no evidence for that assertion either.

It's a lovely little narrative you have made up in your head but it's not actually based in facts, is it?

We have sold out quite a lot this season, though I don't think we ned a new stadium. But to expand Kingsland to hold another 4,000 or so, as has always been planned, would be am excellent idea.

Exactly- unless Saints have thousands unable to get tickets, there is no point moving. The quoted figure of £3k per seat (I think's been said) means that adding seats for non-existent numbers makes no sense whatsoever. If we run at 100% or thereabouts for a whole season or two, even for category C games, perhaps adding a few would make sense.

No, because there was an obvious demand. The fact we were attracting 21k in League One shows we had that core of match-going fans, so it made sense. Why spend money on another stadium when A) the demand is hardly outstripping supply and B) It's a UEFA 4 star stadium. If it was a crumbling shock, moving would make sense but it doesn't.

But then if success brings in new customers why build a new/bigger stadium if those same people will f off when (as invariably happens in football) the success disappears (like they did when we dropped out of the PL).

The book Soccernomics has an excellent part on stadium expansion and proves the old adage "if you build it, they will come".

If we expanded St Marys and were able to buy some of the surrounding land for development (think the area around Wembley, MK Dons stadium etc) we would absolutely draw more people in.

Personally, I think it's worth adding another tier on top of the Kingsland/Northam just to shove the away fans up there and finally have the Northam just for Saints fans...

The book Soccernomics has an excellent part on stadium expansion and proves the old adage "if you build it, they will come".

If we expanded St Marys and were able to buy some of the surrounding land for development (think the area around Wembley, MK Dons stadium etc) we would absolutely draw more people in.

Personally, I think it's worth adding another tier on top of the Kingsland/Northam just to shove the away fans up there and finally have the Northam just for Saints fans...

I'm pretty sure I read that from next season away fans have to be pitch side?

I'm pretty sure I read that from next season away fans have to be pitch side?

Oh well. Only Newcastle that affects isn't it? Although Old Trafford isn't technically pitch side, there is a small amount of home fans in front of the away section - wonder if that rule will be enforced for them.

I guess the MK Dons are the exception the disproves the rule then...

Initially there were concerns that the size of the stadium may have been too optimistic. Although attendances increased since leaving the National Hockey stadium, the stadium has yet to sell out for Dons' games.[58] The MK Dons average attendance of 10,550[59] during the 2008–09 League One season remains below half the ground capacity. The MK Dons average home attendance for the first part of the 2009–10 season was ranked 6th out of 24 teams in League One.[60] The average attendance for the 2012–13 season was just 8,612; in the 2013–14 season it was 9,047; in the 2015-16 season it was 13,158.[61]

I guess the MK Dons are the exception the disproves the rule then...

Initially there were concerns that the size of the stadium may have been too optimistic. Although attendances increased since leaving the National Hockey stadium, the stadium has yet to sell out for Dons' games.[58] The MK Dons average attendance of 10,550[59] during the 2008–09 League One season remains below half the ground capacity. The MK Dons average home attendance for the first part of the 2009–10 season was ranked 6th out of 24 teams in League One.[60] The average attendance for the 2012–13 season was just 8,612; in the 2013–14 season it was 9,047; in the 2015-16 season it was 13,158.[61]

Good thing we'd be expanding in the Prem and not in League One then.

When was the last time you were in Milton Keynes?

All the time my wife's family all live there even been to a few Dons games they are defiantly proof that "if you build it they will come" doesn't work. Around the stadium is nice though my daughter likes shopping in Primark and the ball chain likes trawling around IKEA...

Lets hope we don't build a nice big shiny stadium and get relegated then...

I don't want a new stadium, the location of St Marys is fantastic. Expansion and development of the surrounding area is what we should be aiming at. Probably in reverse order, to be fair.

Good thing we'd be expanding in the Prem and not in League One then.

I think you brought up Milton Keynes in the first place.

I seriously doubt there are many clubs who have followed the "if you build it, they will come" model. Maybe a handful of loons like Doncaster.

Most follow the "let's evaluate the demand, construct a cost/benefit analysis/apply financials to some likely scenarios/work out whether we need it, can afford it and it will pay back" model.

But then if success brings in new customers why build a new/bigger stadium if those same people will f off when (as invariably happens in football) the success disappears (like they did when we dropped out of the PL).

When Sunderland inevitably go down, next season they will likely pull in average gates of about 28 to 31k going on their most recent forays at that level.

If we go down the season after (perish the thought) we will likely pull in average gates of 22-26k, again based on comparable data.

This is despite having us a stadium that could hold much more than 22-26k of course. We will have already "built it" but they won't "come". Funny that.

I think you brought up Milton Keynes in the first place.

I seriously doubt there are many clubs who have followed the "if you build it, they will come" model. Maybe a handful of loons like Doncaster.

Most follow the "let's evaluate the demand, construct a cost/benefit analysis/apply financials to some likely scenarios/work out whether we need it, can afford it and it will pay back" model.

I think you need to read posts more carefully, I brought up MK regarding the development of the area surrounding the stadium as something we should be looking to do.

Apart from the MK Dons, most clubs who expand their stadiums or move to a much larger new ground seem to attract the fans to fill them. I can think of Southampton, Brighton, West Ham, Manchester City, Swansea and Hull just of the top my head.

Even if we look at MK more closely, it shows an improvement. Since the development alongside the stadium was completed in late 2012, their attendances have risen from an average of approx. 8600 to 10091 this season, at an increase of just under 1500.

Our attendances this season are about 3.8 times that of MKs attendances in 2013, so by multiplying their increase by that 3.8 you could argue we might see an increase in attendance of roughly 5700 from developing the surrounding area. I think you could justify expansion on those numbers - bearing in mind playing in the top flight and potential European football might also push that further.

Looking at returns, those 5700 seats sold at £30 each would raise £3.24million over the season. If the rumoured "3k per seat" thing is true, that means we would pay that off after 5-6 seasons.

Edited by Saint_clark

Even if we look at MK more closely, it shows an improvement. Since the development alongside the stadium was completed in late 2012, their attendances have risen from an average of approx. 8600 to 10091 this season, at an increase of just under 1500.

Our attendances this season are about 3.8 times that of MKs attendances in 2013, so by multiplying their increase by that 3.8 you could argue we might see an increase in attendance of roughly 5700 from developing the surrounding area. I think you could justify expansion on those numbers - bearing in mind playing in the top flight and potential European football might also push that further.

Looking at returns, those 5700 seats sold at £30 each would raise £3.24million over the season. If the rumoured "3k per seat" thing is true, that means we would pay that off after 5-6 seasons.

So developing the surrounding area, in and of itself, is going to add 5,700 to the gate? This is what you're saying?

I haven't been to MK since we knocked them out of the JPT so you'll have to advise me of what fantastic "development" there is round there that we could copy that is going to add nearly 6,000 regular fans. What have they got? Is it both a Frankie's and a Benny's? Is is a Megabowl? Is it a drive-thru Costa coffee? I remember the big Asda. I really wish we had that near St Mary's. That would be, like, so brilliant.

And interesting in your mathematics that you have discounted any cost to this development and just added the cost of putting the seats in - being that this development is the supposed driver of these thousands of new fans why is that not included in your calculations.

Lastly: football forum fan drooling about building fast food restaurants around the stadium to bring in new fans. Fu ck me, this is what it's come to?

Edited by CB Fry

Another tier on the Northam will be relatively cheap and a no brainer.

New stadium, no. We will end up owing billions to whoever the new owners might be, and you can bet that they won't pay for it.

So developing the surrounding area, in and of itself, is going to add 5,700 to the gate? This is what you're saying?

I haven't been to MK since we knocked them out of the JPT so you'll have to advise me of what fantastic "development" there is round there that we could copy that is going to add nearly 6,000 regular fans. What have they got? Is it both a Frankie's and a Benny's? Is is a Megabowl? Is it a drive-thru Costa coffee? I remember the big Asda. I really wish we had that near St Mary's. That would be, like, so brilliant.

And interesting in your mathematics that you have discounted any cost to this development and just added the cost of putting the seats in - being that this development is the supposed driver of these thousands of new fans why is that not included in your calculations.

Lastly: football forum fan drooling about building fast food restaurants around the stadium to bring in new fans. Fu ck me, this is what it's come to?

Any sort of development is fantastic compared to a cement works and a disused gas tower.

Never said I was drooling, just using a forum for discussion to discuss a topic raised by someone else, by using other examples instead of just sarcasm and condescension.

Also, I have been to MK since the JPT, when we beat them 6-1 either last season or the season before. There's a lot more there now than back in 2010 - as I said, the development was completed late 2012.

Any sort of development is fantastic compared to a cement works and a disused gas tower.

Seriously, does it really matter? I don't think those gas towers have ever detracted from my match experience or stopped any single fan from going to the match, ever. We're less than ten minutes walking distance from town FFS.

Stadium MK is out in ring road retail park nowheresville. You making out it is some kind of fan-attracting fun-palace is laughable.

I'd rather the city was developed around the docks than around the St Mary's area anyway. That's what this city is supposed to be about. The sea.

I notice you didn't answer the question - what has MK got that you want next to us that adds 5,700 fans to the gate and isn't already minutes away in the city centre?

If you genuinely think that putting a Harvester and a Cinema next to a football stadium adds 6,000 to the gate then condescension is what you deserve.

Edited by CB Fry

Have I missed something with talk of a new stadium? Would be insanity unless someone is very keen to p1ss away money.

Simply not needed and you would need a 5000 season ticket waiting list to justify the money, when team strengthening is far more important.

The recent Cup final highlighted our minimal fanbase with those having been to just two home games getting a ticket.

Simply not needed and you would need a 5000 season ticket waiting list to justify the money, when team strengthening is far more important.

The recent Cup final highlighted our minimal fanbase with those having been to just two home games getting a ticket.

That's because we have 30,000 fans who only do away games...

Bit of a circular argument that one. The reason that it was reasonably easy to get a ticket was that the number of tickets for Wembley compared quite favourably with the size of our ground.

Once they build a branch of JJB Sports, a Chiquitos and a Starbucks on the site of the old Gasworks the new fans will be flooding in.