HULL 2-Saints 1 Post match

Ohio Saint

I don't buy the tiredness argument. Benali was tired, 14 marathons and 1400 miles in 14 days, that was tired. Guardiola says possession is to be used to win matches. We use possession as an end in itself. To have 66% possession and lose to a poor side is nonsense as most of that possession was in our half. I don't care how euphoric fans are after beating a pretty sub standard Italian team masquerading as Internazionale Milan. In fact the other two teams in the group are no great shakes either.It wasn't ground breaking, we scored from a scramble after a corner and an own goal after the left back couldn't get out of the way of the ball. We were absolutely toothless as we have been all season.

Redmond isn't a striker and never will be. Davis, Clasie, JWP and Tadic have neither the guts, determination or inclination to make the early supporting runs into the box to try and make a difference. Personally the aimless passing around in front of our penalty area is nonsense as is relying on substandard right backs to provide width.

Tadic has proved time and time again that he is best on the left, by the time he beats the fullback three times on the right the defence is formed up. Fonte, VVD and Bertrand are good defenders, Romeu and Hojbjerg are good midfielders, Austin is a good striker, Long is an effective target whilst Redmond is a competent wide player. Rodriguez needs time as does Boufal.

The diamond is now a 4-3-3 that is making us ineffective because of the insistence of playing one striker and Redmond. It still doesn't look like it is a system for the players we have, rather a managers favourite framework and possession obsession that the players have to fit into whether it suits them or not.

We might be hard to beat but we sure as hell won't win too many unless we change our attacking system.

Edited by derry

I don't buy the tiredness argument. Benali was tired, 14 marathons and 1400 miles in 14 days, that was tired. Guardiola says possession is to be used to win matches. We use possession as an end in itself. To have 66% possession and lose to a poor side is nonsense as most of that possession was in our half. I don't care how euphoric fans are after beating a pretty sub standard Italian team masquerading as Internazionale Milan. In fact the other two teams in the group are no great shakes either.It wasn't ground breaking, we scored from a scramble after a corner and an own goal after the left back couldn't get out of the way of the ball. We were absolutely toothless as we have been all season.

Redmond isn't a striker and never will be. Davis, Clasie, JWP and Tadic have neither the guts, determination or inclination to make the early supporting runs into the box to try and make a difference. Personally the aimless passing around in front of our penalty area is nonsense as is relying on substandard right backs to provide width.

Tadic has proved time and time again that he is best on the left, by the time he beats the fullback three times on the right the defence is formed up. Fonte, VVD and Bertrand are good defenders, Romeu and Hojbjerg are good midfielders, Austin is a good striker, Long is an effective target whilst Redmond is a competent wide player. Rodriguez needs time as does Boufal.

The diamond is now a 4-3-3 that is making us ineffective because of the insistence of playing one striker and Redmond. It still doesn't look like it is a system for the players we have, rather a managers favourite framework and possession obsession that the players have to fit into whether it suits them or not.

We might be hard to beat but we sure as hell won't win too many unless we change our attacking system.

I know its ifs & buts, however at 59 minutes into the game we were in the QF of EFL, 6th in the premier league and 1 x win from qualifying into the knock out phase which would make your email utterly ridiculous IMO. Im not sure you would have written this post without the 2 x goals / 2 mins and its despair. Small margins and all that!

I know its ifs & buts, however at 59 minutes into the game we were in the QF of EFL, 6th in the premier league and 1 x win from qualifying into the knock out phase which would make your email utterly ridiculous IMO. Im not sure you would have written this post without the 2 x goals / 2 mins and its despair. Small margins and all that!

So true.

I know I will get slagged off for this but the sooner we are out of the Europa league the better, we aren't going to get too far in it anyway & its just a distraction we have more chances of injuries & are generally more knackered

we we need to concentrate on the league

I know I will get slagged off for this but the sooner we are out of the Europa league the better, we aren't going to get too far in it anyway & its just a distraction we have more chances of injuries & are generally more knackered

Nonsense. The cups and defo the Europa are much bigger than the league. We are not in danger in the league. Seriously, there is so much sh1t in the prem that we are NOT going to get relegated. Equally we won't make top 6. So cups and Europa are our whole reason for being aren't they?

Manager needs to adapt to the premier league, and needs to alter the formation to suit. His 'diamond' needs to morph into a proper 442, 433. Even a koemenesque 532 if necessary, but Puels flexibility is limiting the team imo.

Square pegs into round holes to suit his system.

But seriously, the league is not where a supporters excitement is to be found. With our squad we should be going for silverware, and we are still good enough for top ten imo. Managers obsession with possession I feel is limiting the team, not vice versa.

Again only my opinion...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, let's get out of the Europa League so we can concentrate on trying to qualify for.....the Europa League....wow you should be our manager!!

:rolleyes:

I thought Boufal showed more creativity and flair in his 20 minutes than any other player on the pitch. He was one of the positive things about today.

Bringing Boufal on too late cost us the game. A second goal, or at least more attacking intent to push them back would have made a huge difference. I am not buying tiredness after Milan, when Boufal is lounging on the bench for over an hour. That will probably turn out to be our worst result of the season and was completely avoidable. We create loads of chances too - just struggle with putting them away. Midfield in general is very wasteful in front of goal.

Agreed, he should of started really or at least got a full half. Perfect team to play him against for his match fitness, opportunity missed.

As the season goes on, it's clear there will be 3 sections to the league. Annoyingly the 'top 6', as the media like to call it, are all firing, and that is their own mini league unless by some miracle someone goes on a run of wins from below. Then we're in the race for 7th, about the best we can hope for, with the likes of Everton, probably Leicester and others, then the turd at the bottom, Swansea, Stoke and perhaps one or two others. Despite our proximity to the relegation zone, I'm still not worried.

Thankfully I was working through today's game so could separate myself from it, but it sounds just like an off day. Sort out the goalscoring problem and we power up the league. Unfortunately we have to make do with what we have until at least January, so let's hope Puel can get it sorted with the players we have. Hopefully the international break gives some players a chance to get fitter and recover from injury.

Arrogance and complacency combined leads to relegation.

I have said that all along.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, let's get out of the Europa League so we can concentrate on trying to qualify for.....the Europa League....wow you should be our manager!!

:rolleyes:

Ridiculous eh?

We worked our socks off to qualify so why shouldn't we try our best to win the thing? We ain't gonna win the league, we are very unlikely to get a Champs League place so this might be our only Euro football for a while (if we don't qualify again this year). Doesn't make an ounce of sense to get eliminated so we can concentrate on qualifying for the exact same competition. Mind you, you can't reason with the bellends on this site, they just repeat the same twisted mantra over and over like a bunch of conspiricy theorists, adding the evidence that suits them and ignoring everything else. Look at that colossal cvnt Dalek, he's been pedaling the same line since 2003.

I would have loved to have been a 'fly on the wall' in the Saints dressing room at half time. To hear what Puel said to the team. My contact tells me that several of the players were dismayed at the instructions given for the second 45 mins.

Just passing on what I'm told. Could well be BS but .........

I would have loved to have been a 'fly on the wall' in the Saints dressing room at half time. To hear what Puel said to the team. My contact tells me that several of the players were dismayed at the instructions given for the second 45 mins.

What where the instructions? Sit back and defend deep without looking to score another? Settle for the one goal lead?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I agree with that part.

I wonder what the players themselves think? Do we know the personal rewards/bonuses they receive for progress out of the groups? Do they want to try and win a Europa Cup medal or a premier league medal? Which is more within their grasp?

Every season since we've been back in the Prem we have struggled to beat teams below us.I'm sure our stats buffs can confirm this.We only have to look below us and that's our opposition.Those above are not our problem.One day we may just really tear one into a team below us but it can't happen if we play the crab game (Moving sideways) We have to be a lot more attack minded.

Rant over.

Any clues on what was said ? Should we guess ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

As disappointed as I am that Saints lost, I see it merely as a blip. Hull had 2 chances on target and scored both. We had 17 chances. You get games like this every season. We were the better team. We weren't clinical. We didn't finish them off. The players must be tired. We'll probably go on now and beat Liverpool. Football is a funny old game as we all know.

As disappointed as I am that Saints lost, I see it merely as a blip. Hull had 2 chances on target and scored both. We had 17 chances. You get games like this every season. We were the better team. We weren't clinical. We didn't finish them off. The players must be tired. We'll probably go on now and beat Liverpool. Football is a funny old game as we all know.

THINK THE SCOUSERS MAY WELL TEAR US A NEW ONE ON HOW THEY ARE PERFORMING AT THE MOMENT

None of the above is that impressive when you look at the actual results that have got us to those positions. We've beaten Swansea, West Ham and Burnley in the league this season. That's it.

CP is I'm guessing a very good coach and an ok manager but his style is dull. Keep the ball at all costs and don't take any risks with the ball ever. It leads to very predictable, one paced, dull football. To be honest though that's exactly the sort of style Les Reed and the club wants us to play and it's not a coincidence that we've ended up with midfield options including Clasie, Davis, JWP i.e. slow players with high pass completion stats.

All of the top sides have midfielders that are prepared to run past players, make runs beyond strikers, get into the box, attempt passes to get in behind teams. But they've all got it wrong, what they really need is Steven Davis playing it back to the defenders 90% of the time, that's how you "control" games

Every season since we've been back in the Prem we have struggled to beat teams below us

In our first couple of seasons I do remember dropping a lot of stupid points against teams below us (a trait that Pochettino has carried on at Spurs funnily enough), but in fairness, that hasn't really been the case recently. Koeman was pretty good at building decent seasons on beating the teams below us quite comfortably and consistently. Nicking the odd win against the big boys (last season we were fortunate enough to play them at very good times (Chelsea (a)/City (h)/Spurs (a)) was a bonus which managed to propel us to overachieve, but the foundation was built on basically winning the kinds of games we somehow managed to turn into a defeat on Sunday.

14/15: http://www.soccerstats.com/team.asp?league=england_2015&teamid=28

vs teams below us: 16-3-7 = 51 points from 26 games.

15/16: http://www.soccerstats.com/team.asp?league=england_2016&teamid=14

vs teams below us: 14-7-7 = 49 points from 28 games.

That's not too shabby by my reckoning. Having a little click around on other teams reveals some fairly scattered results from our competitors as well.

Truth be told, I'm quite concerned. This is the first time we've really thrown a game away to that extent (and against a ****-poor team) for quite some time.

:lol:

Do you think they just let anyone in who fancies a listen, or did he have a glass to the wall?

Do you think they just let anyone in who fancies a listen, or did he have a glass to the wall?

It would be nice to get a few more details about what was said, else it all seems a bit vague, but you shouldn't dismiss people's posts just because they have a negative slant.

(unless they are people who only post negative things of course. Not sure if Norm is one of those...)

It would be nice to get a few more details about what was said, else it all seems a bit vague, but you shouldn't dismiss people's posts just because they have a negative slant.

(unless they are people who only post negative things of course. Not sure if Norm is one of those...)

Perhaps, but why does this sort of stuff only come out after a loss, yet we rarely hear this type of thing when things are good..

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

It's no big deal. If we still can't shoot on target in open play after all these weeks we don't deserve to win. So many attempts too.

Practice practice practice fellers. Work late until you get it right.

That's doctor's prescription

Seven efforts on target, plus hitting the bar and one rebound off Rodriguez's face in the last seconds from a yard out which somehow went over the bar. That's more than enough to win most games.

..because we have all of 3 points above the relegation zone?

We are better than Sunderland, Burnley, Swansea, Boro, Hull, West Brom, Bompey, Leicester, Palace and West Ham. Probably Watford and Stoke too although they have looked decent recently. We only need to beat 3 of them to stay up and we will comfortably. Even the games we didn't win, like Hull, Watford and Sunderland we were the better team.

Nobody is too big to go down but you can be too good and we are.

Truth be told, I'm quite concerned. This is the first time we've really thrown a game away to that extent (and against a ****-poor team) for quite some time.

Truth be told, that's precisely why I'm not concerned. I also note you haven't provided a comparator for this season, probably because it doesn't support your argument.

You forgot to mention us not beating Sunderland at home in the League. And Man City and Arsenal not beating Middlesbrough at home. Bournemouth losing to Sunderland, Man U not beating Burnley at home last week or Stoke before that. Burnley beating Liverpool, and Burnley and Bournemouth beating Everton. Man City drawing with Everton. And Arsenal losing at home to Liverpool, Palace losing home to West Brom and Hull beating Leicester. There are a lot of surprises in a Premier League season, you should probably get used to it.

We are better than Sunderland, Burnley, Swansea, Boro, Hull, West Brom, Bompey, Leicester, Palace and West Ham. Probably Watford and Stoke too although they have looked decent recently. We only need to beat 3 of them to stay up and we will comfortably. Even the games we didn't win, like Hull, Watford and Sunderland we were the better team.

Nobody is too big to go down but you can be too good and we are.

It's going to take about two more months for Sunderland and Swansea to get to the number of points we've got at the rate they're going. That just leaves the one slot for Hull to fight over with some other utter guff.

Probably worth noting we're in the midst of an injury crisis as well, still top half.

It's going to take about two more months for Sunderland and Swansea to get to the number of points we've got at the rate they're going. That just leaves the one slot for Hull to fight over with some other utter guff.

Probably worth noting we're in the midst of an injury crisis as well, still top half.

Not to mention having played 5 of last years top 6 away already (if you take out Saints).

Hull was no different to Norwich away last year, Burnley the year before, Cardiff?, QPR I think before that. Basically somebody crap usually beats us, then gets relegated. Even going back to the Championship and League 1, the likes of Bristol City and Swindon beat us on their way down.

Mock (which you often do) as much as you like, the words were spoken by a player. Actually, I'm annoyed I bothered responding to you.

There are nine teams between us and the relegation zone - even if we lost the next 5 we'd probably still be ahead of some of them.

This.

Again, dummies not getting that the other teams play each other and many teams would have to pass us. Same thing a few seasons ago when Dalek and co. were holding their breaths because 5 or 6 teams had to pass us in 3 games. Breathtaking arrogance was what was banded about if I recall. Nope, it's just very very low probability.

Mock (which you often do) as much as you like, the words were spoken by a player. Actually, I'm annoyed I bothered responding to you.

Which player? my money is on Dusan or could it be vvd or..... ??

I am not remotely bothered if you respond to me or that you are annoyed, sorry ;)