Saints 1 Hapoel Be'er Sheva 1 - Match & Meltdown Thread

St Chalet

I was driving in and the team was announced on Solent. FFS Redmond starting, from that moment I knew we were up against it. Redmond is no forward, he flatters to deceive looks lively on the ball but one dimensional only comes inside and runs out of ideas and the attack breaks down. If he is playing as a forward in a 4-3-3 he has to make runs, get into the box rather than standing in the box. He stands and waits for somebody to give him the ball, he has no anticipation and lacks a football brain of any quality.

Sims requires a dynamic tempo to be able to make his runs effective, the funereal tempo last night allowed the opponents to crowd in front, deny space behind and make it almost impossible to exploit any space leaving us with one forward and three midfielders who need to play differently, get the ball up to the forwards quickly and support or even run beyond. Holding the midfield and waiting for the full backs to get up the lines just plays into the opponents hands because invariably we have one in the box, totally outnumbered by defenders trying to get something on crap crosses.

This manager and the way he plays represents everything that is wrong, 70% alleged possession and lose, 59% last night and knocked out is absolute crap. He either has to sort it out or the club have to fire him. We cannot sustain this nonsense and if we lose VVD and Fonte we will be struggling, conceding goals and not scoring. Harry Reed will give us more in midfield than the backward thinking Davis, JWP and Clasie.

For Gods sake his substitutions were dire last night bringing on JWP when we needed goals. He should have shoved VVD up front and put Fonte on at the back. Leaving Redmond on was daft he should have been replaced on the left by Tadic and left Sims on.

Heard Puel droning on about how good the Euro experience has been for us on radio. Felt very sad that we have such a bore in charge. Can only result in players playing with the same lack of zip he gives off. Sucking the life out of the team. Can't be a motivating force, and isn't on the evidence before us. Biggest game in our recent history, that was.

But once out on the pitch the fans become the motivating force. If this really was the "Biggest game in our recent history" then our fans probably "sucked the life out of the team". Apart from a thousand or so noisy Israelis (who managed to drown out any attempts from the Northam by simply whistling) it was a shocking atmosphere again with the usual near silence attacking the Chapel second half.

This will no doubt upset some of our more sensitive types but I'm struggling to give a f**k. To quote a popular chant "our support is f**king sh*t.

I've tried to remain positive up until now, but as each game goes on the curtains draw back to reveal what we are really dealing with and unfortunately its starting to become clear Les Reed is on the other side of the window pulling a mooney at us and slapping his cheeks to the tune of OWTS.

But once out on the pitch the fans become the motivating force. If this really was the "Biggest game in our recent history" then our fans probably "sucked the life out of the team". Apart from a thousand or so noisy Israelis (who managed to drown out any attempts from the Northam by simply whistling) it was a shocking atmosphere again with the usual near silence attacking the Chapel second half.

This will no doubt upset some of our more sensitive types but I'm struggling to give a f**k. To quote a popular chant "our support is f**king sh*t.

Palace left me feeling pretty gutted, yes we lost and it happens, but it was how we lost. However, I thought the support was brilliant, likewise at Arsenal.

This one has left me angry. No reaction, no drive, negative tactics, poor support. Sorry to say, but the team I'm watching play at the moment is the worst we've looked in the last 5 seasons.

Utter boloks. If played behind closed doors, or in front of just the Saints fans with no Israelis, and for another 30 mins we still wouldn't have won. The issue isn't the fans, it didn't seem to be an issue for last 7 years, it isn't now. We the fans pay our money to watch football, when we are being charged for a product we have been sold on we expect to at least get a show, we aren't getting much at all. Only a mug or a liar could get themselves excited enough to give full effort watching that dross.

The style of play affects the support. When we go for it, play attacking football the crowd respond, look at the Evwrton game. We started on the front foot and the support was great. Play possession, boring ****e that bores the fans to tears and the response from the fans is the same. When sims made that run, the whole bloody stadium roared and got to its feet, the posession game bores the fans.

The style of play affects the support. When we go for it, play attacking football the crowd respond, look at the Evwrton game. We started on the front foot and the support was great. Play possession, boring ****e that bores the fans to tears and the response from the fans is the same. When sims made that run, the whole bloody stadium roared and got to its feet, the posession game bores the fans.

OR if your team (it should mean more to us than some mercenary footballer) needs lifting the 'die-hard' fans roar them on and do their bit. Big game last night, the fans shouldn't needed lifting at the start of a match like that, if the atmosphere had been electric from kick-off you'd have a point but it was as subdued as ever. The only thing special about our support last night was the odd colourful 'character' in the crowd.

I thought Davis was poor last night, one run back to win the ball by our corner flag, and a run into box for the Sims cross aside. Redmond started ok, but makes the wrong decisions, and stops to think about it and Bertrand was poor as well. As a result, we had nothing going on on the left side in the 2nd half.

I know there is good sports science beind the rotation, but some players seem to need to play every game or they lose their form. Romeou seems to have got worse lately after being rested.

The next 3 games are crucial. If Long and Rodriguez can't register a goal between them while Austin is out I can't see how the club can sit idley by in January.

For Gods sake his substitutions were dire last night bringing on JWP when we needed goals. He should have shoved VVD up front and put Fonte on at the back. Leaving Redmond on was daft he should have been replaced on the left by Tadic and left Sims on.

Except that JWP put in two decent deliveries, the second of which should have been buried by Yoshida to take us through. Except that we didn't need another CB on in order to push VVD up front. In fact he should have gone up front 10 minutes earlier. Except that Sims and Redmond were equally ineffective.

We've been playing 4-3-3 for months. Why do people keep blaming the diamond :mcinnes:

Because the modern 4-3-3 is a very similar formation to 4-4-2 diamond played apart from some nuances around the role of the point of the diamond/central striker, I should think.

-----x-----

x--x---x--x

-----x-----

x---------x

-----x-----

-x-------x-

OR

-----x-----

x--x---x--x

-----x-----

--x-----x--

x----x----x

Why is this supposed to bother anyone? The issue for fans is whether we win games or not, right?

I know there is good sports science beind the rotation, but some players seem to need to play every game or they lose their form. Romeou seems to have got worse lately after being rested.

This is tangible nonsense. They play every game they play, and we're playing more games than usual so they're mostly playing as often as they would be in other seasons anyway. Do other teams' players lose form when we're playing on Thursday nights or playing extra League Cup games?

This is tangible nonsense. They play every game they play, and we're playing more games than usual so they're mostly playing as often as they would be in other seasons anyway. Do other teams' players lose form when we're playing on Thursday nights or playing extra League Cup games?

Glass houses pal.

As usual, you're simplifying things. The fact is that some players do play midweek and on the weekend; the problem is that they have different partners/teammates each time and have to adapt their game. Doubtless some players can take that in their stride, esp where the change in personnel isn't too great. Others, however, struggle. That does little for continuity and understanding.

Edited by shurlock

I've tried to remain positive up until now, but as each game goes on the curtains draw back to reveal what we are really dealing with and unfortunately its starting to become clear Les Reed is on the other side of the window pulling a mooney at us and slapping his cheeks to the tune of OWTS.
Lol

Because the modern 4-3-3 is a very similar formation to 4-4-2 diamond played apart from some nuances around the role of the point of the diamond/central striker, I should think.

-----x-----

x--x---x--x

-----x-----

x---------x

-----x-----

-x-------x-

OR

-----x-----

x--x---x--x

-----x-----

--x-----x--

x----x----x

Literally the only difference is the central player moving 10 feet forwards or backwards.

I thought Davis was poor last night, one run back to win the ball by our corner flag, and a run into box for the Sims cross aside. Redmond started ok, but makes the wrong decisions, and stops to think about it and Bertrand was poor as well. As a result, we had nothing going on on the left side in the 2nd half.

The next 3 games are crucial. If Long and Rodriguez can't register a goal between them while Austin is out I can't see how the club can sit idley by in January.

I just feel the need to correct you here Redkeith. Having watched the game twice, I can tell you Davis got back 4-5 times to tackle, dispossess and pass to team mate - he also made many incisive runs into attacking areas where sadly there wasn't much in the way of support to capitalise. There were a few poor performances from our lads last night but Davis was not one of them.

I just feel the need to correct you here Redkeith. Having watched the game twice, I can tell you Davis got back 4-5 times to tackle, dispossess and pass to team mate - he also made many incisive runs into attacking areas where sadly there wasn't much in the way of support to capitalise. There were a few poor performances from our lads last night but Davis was not one of them.

Are you a glutten for punishment?

We all see the game differently, I thought Pierre was our best palyer on the night, others thought he was terrible.

However, for the goal, Davis runs away from the scorer back towards his own goal , picking up no-one. I'm not sure if it would have made much difference if he had gone towards the goalscorer, but he waqs the only threat and Davies ran away from him.

Make no mistake: had we started our European campaign in the qualifiers, it would have been Jutland all over again. So it was good that we made it to the competition proper.

Having said that, after our defeat in Prague, you could see that we were very reluctant to progress.

A shame because it doesn't seem like we will make this year...let's hope for a day out at Wembley!