We could go 8th tonight

Nordic Saint

I must have missed the sarcastic comments when Poch finished 8th.

Funny how things change, give footballer supporters a couple of decent years and they become arrogant dicks. 8th is a good finish for this club, not happened too often in 100+ years and it was good enough under Poch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014: finished eighth. Greatest achievement in Southampton Football Club history with our finest ever side of wonder players who were on a one-way ticket to Champions League glory before Les Reed callously dismantled it. Eighth though. Brilliant. Amazing.

2017: eighth place is sh it and the start of our slippery slope of steep decline and inevitable relegationwith our turgid hopeless team of deadbeats. Dreadful. Eighth though. Fu cking useless.

2014: finished eighth. Greatest achievement in Southampton Football Club history with our finest ever side of wonder players who were on a one-way ticket to Champions League glory before Les Reed callously dismantled it. Eighth though. Brilliant. Amazing.

2017: eighth place is sh it and the start of our slippery slope of steep decline and inevitable relegationwith our turgid hopeless team of deadbeats. Dreadful. Eighth though. Fu cking useless.

2.7/10

The point you're missing of course is that getting to the EFL Cup Final gives you as good a chance of making the Europa League as coming 7th, and it takes about 30 fewer matches. Plus you get a Cup Final, and you can still have a go at making the Europa League in the Premier League too, unless you're a fair bit adrift because of already being in Europe, of course.

No, I haven't missed the point at all.

You get **** all for coming 2nd best and therefore I would rather finish in a higher league position. Of course if we had won, like we probably deserved on the day, it would have been a different story.

I just don't buy the agruement that getting to a final of the EFL cup makes a successful season. Achievement yes, success, no.

2014: our second season back in the PL. played great football, under a great manager who fans and players loved. We were on our way up.

2017: finished 6th the year before, but failed when given the chance in Europe. Play dull football, under a manager who fans and players dislike. Very much on our way down.

Starting to see the difference? It's not league position why people (including the club by the look of things), it's other factors.

2014: our second season back in the PL. played great football, under a great manager who fans and players loved. We were on our way up.

2017: finished 6th the year before, but failed when given the chance in Europe. Play dull football, under a manager who fans and players dislike. Very much on our way down.

Starting to see the difference? It's not league position why people (including the club by the look of things), it's other factors.

Or

2014: 56 points, 15 wins, positive goal difference + decent football and fans and forum together as one.

2017: 45 points, negative goal difference, horrendous football style and 70/80% of fans want manager gone. Fans, friends and forum divided. All with the 16th most expensive squad in Europe!!

The main factor is this forum is infected with snidey saps who've decided our gigantic club can sneer at our second major cup final in 40 odd years and an unprecedented fourth top 8 finish as some kind of failure.

I've enjoyed the season. Inter was brilliant, Wembley and the road there was brilliant. And because I am not a child, I can view this season as being, in the round and on planet earth, as a successful one.

My recommendation to you is get used it - you've got 30 odd years or more of this to get used to. Suck it the fu ck up.

Edited by CB Fry

The main factor is this forum is infected with snidely saps who've decided our gigantic club can sneer at our second major cup final in 40 odd years and an unprecedented fourth top 8 finish as some kind of failure.

I've enjoyed the season. Inter was brilliant, Wembley and the road there was brilliant. And because I am not a child, I can view this season as being, in the round and on planet earth, as a successful one.

My recommendation to you is get used it - you've got 30 odd years or more of this to get used to. Suck it the fu ck up.

And yet the club is seriously considering firing the manager

#snidelysaps #whateverthatmeans

And yet the club is seriously considering firing the manager

#snidelysaps #whateverthatmeans

That's because the club have clear ambition to finish higher up the table and/or win a cup, just like I've always said they have. #tooeasy

The difference is expectations poch had none in his first full season we could have finished 12th and people would have been happy and called it progress.

Puel turns up at a time when fans have come to convince themselves, on the back of several good seasons, that we are top PL club that only need to a slight push to become a CL club.

I'm pretty sure it was you who claimed saints should be fighting for top 6 every season or failing that win a cup anything less was a failure.....

People can moan and whine as much as they want about this season, they can blabber on about Puel and his apparently negative tactics all they want. Personally when it's all over I will be thinking of trips to Milan, Wembley and beating Inter at home.

But mainly, for me, this season will be remembered for one moment. The best moment I've probably ever experienced supporting Saints. This happened because of Puel, not Koeman or Pochettino, Mane, Pelle or Wanyama. It happened at Anfield on a Wednesday night and will never, ever be forgotten.

https://youtu.be/HVb3NfTf7P8

See I'm really struggling with this new way we've found of judging seasons. I've always given my West Ham supporting mate clog because despite winning the World Cup , their highest top flight finish is 3rd, whereas ours is of course 2nd. However we got 2nd with 77 points & they were 3rd with 84 points. I'm also slightly perturbed to find that under the new Saints web system our 2nd place doesn't seem to count. The following 2 seasons we would only have finished 3rd & 4th respectively. I feel such a fool because I've spent 30 years thinking that 1983/84 was such a great season, but it turns out not to be. This new system of measuring achievement is really going to put the cat amongst the pigeons. I hope my West Ham mate doesn't catch on otherwise it'll be payback time. However he's a normal bloke not a ****ing halfwit so I'd imagine he still thinks 2nd is higher than 3rd .

When it takes someone more than 10 lines to express a single-thought joke, it's more than likely that you're sitting on convoluted gibberish. Probably a good idea to move on and put it down to the time of the day. I assume you're not a night person.

New way of judging seasons? I guess a lot of things are new to you pal. But that's no excuse.

Nope. Nothing new - just the same old contextual information that has always been taken into account when judging a season. The type of information that meant the OS was full of stories in 2013/14 celebrating our then highest PL points tally. The type of info that commentary at the time and posters below have had no problem grasping. The type of info that means the club today is seriously considering a management change.

F**king halfwits. All of them.

That's because the club have clear ambition to finish higher up the table and/or win a cup, just like I've always said they have. #tooeasy

Ambition as in the deluded, Cortese, pie-in-the-sky use of the term. That's much clearer thanks.

People can moan and whine as much as they want about this season, they can blabber on about Puel and his apparently negative tactics all they want. Personally when it's all over I will be thinking of trips to Milan, Wembley and beating Inter at home.

But mainly, for me, this season will be remembered for one moment. The best moment I've probably ever experienced supporting Saints. This happened because of Puel, not Koeman or Pochettino, Mane, Pelle or Wanyama. It happened at Anfield on a Wednesday night and will never, ever be forgotten.

https://youtu.be/HVb3NfTf7P8

The only thing missing from your post is a link to the goal with the Titanic soundtrack.

Edited by shurlock

The difference is expectations poch had none in his first full season we could have finished 12th and people would have been happy and called it progress.

Puel turns up at a time when fans have come to convince themselves, on the back of several good seasons, that we are top PL club that only need to a slight push to become a CL club.

I'm pretty sure it was you who claimed saints should be fighting for top 6 every season or failing that win a cup anything less was a failure.....

I said that should be the targets set each season, which it probably is in fairness.

After having a taste of it, 2 seasons in a row, it would be stupid to set targets at lower.

Is it realistic we will finish in Europa spots every year, no. However you have to look at other factors, how we've played, team cohesion/atmosphere and fan satisfaction (of course they have a part to play as ultimately they are a revenue stream).

With the snippets provided by some on here and in the press, it appears the club agree that this season is unsatisfactory. I think even Les said it was 'dissapointing' himself at the players awards.

If we appointed poch, or someone of similar style, in the summer, I bet you that 80/90% would be satisfied with a top 8 finish.

I get the feeling that Puel will go in the summer and I honestly don't think many will be dissapointed.

Nope. Just the stuff Les has said and done. #grounded

No. We were told that in any one season we could bounce around midtable and that was OK because one day lightening might strike and we would be ready to take advantage #shortmemories

Outside choleric confines of this board, the football world will think we've gone mad if we sack Puel for finishing 8th and getting to a cup final.

The football world thought we were mad to sack Adkins when we did too...

Arsenal already have more points than last seasonand prob going to finish 5th #improving

Only 3pts off total they had when won league in 1997/98

And? Last time I checked there was no additional or inherent significance in finishing 8th, unlike say finishing 3rd and qualifying for the CL or coming 1st and winning the league. But perhaps I'm missing something.

Edited by shurlock

No. We were told that in any one season we could bounce around midtable and that was OK because one day lightening might strike and we would be ready to take advantage #shortmemories

Who told you that?

What a depressing thread !

We moved up to 8th place last night and the knives are out !

So if Puel is sacked, we get another new manager and the whole process starts again. Let's have a sweepstake on who is the first to say "I'll give him another 3 games" or "He'll be gone by Christmas" !

It's already been said many times "be careful what you wish for" !

:mcinnes:

What a depressing thread !

We moved up to 8th place last night and the knives are out !

So if Puel is sacked, we get another new manager and the whole process starts again. Let's have a sweepstake on who is the first to say "I'll give him another 3 games" or "He'll be gone by Christmas" !

It's already been said many times "be careful what you wish for" !

:mcinnes:

Batman

And? Last time I checked there was no additional or inherent significance in finishing 8th, unlike say finishing 3rd and qualifying for the CL or coming 1st and winning the league. But perhaps I'm missing something.

The point being it is relative. Do you not think Arsenal fans would be happy if had same points and won the league this year.

Or

2014: 56 points, 15 wins, positive goal difference + decent football and fans and forum together as one.

2017: 45 points, negative goal difference, horrendous football style and 70/80% of fans want manager gone. Fans, friends and forum divided. All with the 16th most expensive squad in Europe!!

On the day that your mentality

Catches up with your biology

You want the one you can't have

And it's driving you mad

It's all over, all over, all over your post

In a nutshell, the difference between this season and last (and to an extent the one before) is that in those seasons we achieved one thing - Europa qualification. This season we have nearly achieved three things - EFL Cup win (but for a dodgy decision and the width of a post), Europa League knockouts (but for one goal) and Europa qualification (by one position, but, fair enough, a lot of points).

So ultimately it's been successful but frustrating without a final achievement to feel good about.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Point stands though. This season stands out for memories.

Exactly. In a few years time no one will remember 0-0 against Hull but we'll still be getting goosebumps from the 90th minute at Anfield. In the link I posted the commentators use phrases like "historic" and "vital moment in the history of this football club."

No, I haven't missed the point at all.

You get **** all for coming 2nd best and therefore I would rather finish in a higher league position. Of course if we had won, like we probably deserved on the day, it would have been a different story.

I just don't buy the agruement that getting to a final of the EFL cup makes a successful season. Achievement yes, success, no.

I agree with this post. The final of the EFL was great but the league is what matters. The EFL Cup defeat in a competition many teams don't take very seriously is an achievement but the points and silverware are the measure of success. I think our season has been disappointing and in the summer we need to see where we need to improve and not become complacent

I agree with this post. The final of the EFL was great but the league is what matters. The EFL Cup defeat in a competition many teams don't take very seriously is an achievement but the points and silverware are the measure of success. I think our season has been disappointing and in the summer we need to see where we need to improve and not become complacent

So if we'd won the aforementioned silverware in the league cup final (which we came close to doing) that would have been a measure of success?

Edited by trousers

8th would be good. Same finish as Poch in his first full season & one lower than Koemans in his. Oh, and neither reached a cup final.

Cue "Puel out" brigade explaining why it's different !!!!!

+1.

It's different because.........that's all...............because............Instant gratification from the Smartphone generation, where as we from the MTV generation understand patience and suffering.

The point being it is relative. Do you not think Arsenal fans would be happy if had same points and won the league this year.

They couldn't give two f**ks (nor would I). But there is no additional significance to finishing 8th. Frankly I would take top ten and a higher points total than 8th and what may turn out one of the lowest point hauls for the position in years. For starters, I know I would have seen us win more games and two we'd be closer to challenging for a European place than looking down.

We were told by the club and the intelligentsia on here (gleefully at times) that finishing eighth, even ninth was delivering on the club's aims (never mind a cup final); yet Puel is seemingly on the hot seat. The reason, I suspect, is that the context of that finish does matter, contrary to what Lord P and other defenders of the faith say.

Edited by shurlock

I suppose by posting that you're saying we have the 8th most expensive squad in the league and so eighth is par for our team, thus Puel has matched expectations?

That's a good bite...factor in the 'achievement' of the EFL final and he has over-achieved!

Not aimed at you Useful Idiot but this forum has some weird, weird 'supporters'.

They couldn't give two f**ks (nor would I). But there is no additional significance to finishing 8th. Frankly I would take top ten and a higher points total than 8th and what may turn out one of the lowest point hauls for the position in years. For starters, I know I would have seen us win more games and two we'd be closer to challenging for a European place than looking down.

We were told by the club and the intelligentsia on here (gleefully at times) that finishing eighth, even ninth was delivering on the club's aims (never mind a cup final); yet Puel is seemingly on the hot seat. The reason, I suspect, is that the context of that finish does matter, contrary to what Lord P and other defenders of the faith say.

You really think if the other big clubs were underperforming and based on their current points total Arsenacould win the league on Sunday they be commissioning banner planes and not turning up in their thousands?

They couldn't give two f**ks (nor would I). But there is no additional significance to finishing 8th. Frankly I would take top ten and a higher points total than 8th [/b]and what may turn out one of the lowest point hauls for the position in years. For starters, I know I would have seen us win more games and two we'd be closer to challenging for a European place than looking down.

Out of interest would you take 2nd over 1st as long as you got a better points total than before ??

Weird logic IMO !

Agree, finish eighth on even 51 points or ninth on 48 points is evidence of the mediocrity of thirteen teams in the Premier. So far at home winning only six games, scoring a total of seventeen goals in seventeen games, but nine goals in three games and eight in the other fourteen and still being in eighth position is evidence of a regular poor performances at home. Some of the games were depressing in the extreme.

I don't expect to win every game but I do expect to be on the edge of my seat on a fair few occasions. That didn't happen much this season at home, which for most supporters that go to SMS is the measure of an enjoyable season.

Out of interest would you take 2nd over 1st as long as you got a better points total than before ??

Weird logic IMO !

Weird logic, only because you've completely fabricated the point. Where did I say that? I said for league finishes that have no inherent significance, point finishes are relevant contextual information -and in those situations, I can imagine scenarios where I might trade off a position in the league for a higher points total.

Seemingly on the hot seat? Other than a few vague press reports and Ralph saying the manager will be reviewed at the end of the season ( which happens ever year rather than being something sinster) what else is there?

Not saying your wrong but I've not seen anything concrete that his job is under any threat other than the hopeful rantings of some posters on here.

Now if one the clubs pet jurnos have written something I've missed Id be up for reading it.

Seemingly on the hot seat? Other than a few vague press reports and Ralph saying the manager will be reviewed at the end of the season ( which happens ever year rather than being something sinster) what else is there?

Not saying your wrong but I've not seen anything concrete that his job is under any threat other than the hopeful rantings of some posters on here.

Now if one the clubs pet jurnos have written something I've missed Id be up for reading it.

Jeremy Wilson, who's very balanced, believes the situation is increasingly ominous for Puel - that's obviously his reading of the situation rather than any direct quote from the club and his language is suitably hedged. But after yesterday's spate of articles, I'm (slightly) more pessimistic than before about his chances of staying.

Edited by shurlock

Jeremy Wilson, who's very balanced, believes the situation is increasingly ominous for Puel - that's obviously his reading of the situation rather than any direct quote from the club and his language is suitably hedged. But after yesterday's spate of articles, I'm (slightly) more pessimistic than before about his chances of staying.

Ah if Wilson has written something about it then he could well be in trouble.