We could go 8th tonight

Nordic Saint

Outside choleric confines of this board, the football world will think we've gone mad if we sack Puel for finishing 8th and getting to a cup final.

That thought crossed my mind too. The top 7 are mega-rich and dripping with world class players, so we have finished TOP of our league. Maybe this result (8th) is the best result we could have hoped for. HOWEVER, if he is judged on style of play, quality of entertainment, customer feedback ... then that's where this season has been disappointing. So quantity? Or quality?

But Faz is right. Finish 8th, Cup Final, played in Europe ... can we sack him? Especially if we bring in Marco Silva, a manager who was relegated with his team. Are we mad to sack him?

People keep banging on about the home form but as far as I'm aware away games count for the same number of points. Doesn't really matter where we pick them up does it? A lot of this looks like people crying because we haven't played well when they've been watching.

I just don't get how a team that creates the 7th highest amount of chances in the Premier League can be seen as "boring".

That's the most baffling point regarding all this nonsense.

Lies lies and damn statistics etc What do they consider a "chance"? Some of our football this year has been horribly negative, we have had very few shots on target in the last three and indeed our first ever half of football since we came up without a shot against Liverpool IIRC.

People keep banging on about the home form but as far as I'm aware away games count for the same number of points. Doesn't really matter where we pick them up does it? A lot of this looks like people crying because we haven't played well when they've been watching.

Precisely and for my £600 I'm not satisfied with the product.

Lies lies and damn statistics etc What do they consider a "chance"? Some of our football this year has been horribly negative, we have had very few shots on target in the last three and indeed our first ever half of football since we came up without a shot against Liverpool IIRC.

The PL offical website has down as 8th in the league for shots on target.

Spare a thought for man u fans who have seen I even less goals at home than us....

United have scored 24 at home. We have scored 17

92 professional clubs and only Middlesborough have same (17)

Youll need to go to North Ferry United (national league) to match us again (17)

Or sunderland (16) doh

Edited by Heisenberg

I just don't get how a team that creates the 7th hisghest amount of chances in the Premier League can be seen as "boring".

Who cares about the statistics? Its way more simple, you watch the game and you feel either entertained or not. Statistics can show you that a lot of people think its been boring this season.

I just don't get how a team that creates the 7th highest amount of chances in the Premier League can be seen as "boring".

If you're genuinely baffled let me help - https://www.mathsisfun.com/mean.html

Lets take 5 games from this season -

Burnley - total shots 35

Chelsea - No shots

Liverpool (H) - No shots

Man C - 2 shots

Liverpool (A) - no shots

Total from 5 games = 37.

37 / 5 = 7.4 shots average

United have scored 24 at home. We have scored 17

92 professional clubs and only Middlesborough have same (17)

Youll need to go to North Ferry United (national league) to match us again (17)

Or sunderland (16) doh

I didn't say who scored the least though I said seen less goals....keep up old boy

From the BBC

Premier League games at St Mary's have produced 37 goals this term - only Old Trafford (36 goals) has witnessed fewer goals.

I've enjoyed this season, I've been to Wembley, I've seen European football, I've seen us compete with the best teams in the UK and beyond....I have enjoyed most of the football we've played..which, football-wise, is pretty much how it has been for the last 55+ years that I've followed Saints.

Negatives...well you can look for loads but I'm a realist - I have been a Saints fan far too long to have a ludicrous sense of entitlement but I have to say that the pulled-pork roll from the concourse under Block 39 was disgusting but I'll try not to let it spoil my season or start a thread about it.

Renewed my season ticket? Of course!

I didn't say who scored the least though I said seen less goals....keep up old boy

From the BBC

Premier League games at St Mary's have produced 37 goals this term - only Old Trafford (36 goals) has witnessed fewer goals.

Er, just a thought but does that perhaps include away team goals? ;)

Oh wait, you appear to be acknowledging this... Follow up, why do I want to see other teams score at St Mary's? :/

Edited by farawaysaint

From the BBC

I didn't realise we had a negative goal difference at home , has that happened in other seasons recently? I suppose it must have been tight that first season back.

Precisely and for my £600 I'm not satisfied with the product.

Then write a strongly worded letter of complaint to the company and don't renew next year. You'll feel great - especially if they do sack Puel.

Personally I cannot wait for the next manager to come in, and the next, and the next, and th........

Why? you won't like the next bloke either in all the years I've been on this forum I struggle to remember you having much positive to say about any of our mangers..

I didn't like Pardew, liked Adkins, Pochettino and Koeman and thought Adkins was unfairly treated and after two promotions was getting to grips with the Premier with a weak squad.

I didn't realise we had a negative goal difference at home , has that happened in other seasons recently? I suppose it must have been tight that first season back.

Don't know to be honest haven't looked into it. Not surprised about it this season though. My general experience of home games this season is watching us spurn a load of chances and then watch the opposition bury theirs....

You obviously have not had to sit through a season of home games. Then you would know what nonsense was. Football is not a game of statistics.

You obviously have not had to sit through a season of home games. Then you would know what nonsense was. Football is not a game of statistics.

I've sat through the season and I've seen us spurn bucket loads of chance this season we've been horribly wasteful in front of goal this season.

One more time.....

It's not all about points!!!

As a business you need to please your home customers. Some sense of ambition would be nice, something to drag your attention away from the seagulls and the clouds. Why do you think season ticket sales are dopwn?

Don't know to be honest haven't looked into it. Not surprised about it this season though. My general experience of home games this season is watching us spurn a load of chances and then watch the opposition bury theirs....

Were you watching Hull, WBA, Arsenal and Norwich in the FA Cup? And these weren't isolated examples.

Then write a strongly worded letter of complaint to the company and don't renew next year. You'll feel great - especially if they do sack Puel.

Personally I cannot wait for the next manager to come in, and the next, and the next, and th........

That would work, I've renewed already because I think he's on his way. In any event about two years is the tenure of a manager here so the odds are very much on my side. In any event I can't see him staying without a forensic critique of his way of playing with the lack of goals resulting in him changing his way or a mutual agreement to leave.

+2 the first season back.

Thanks .

If we are minus 3 now- I guess we have a chance to equal that if not better it.

However if we ended up on a minus goal difference at home for the season , for the first time in 8 years presumably ,it would be a stat that backs up how I feel about our home performances.

Thanks .

If we are minus 3 now- I guess we have a chance to equal that if not better it.

However if we ended up on a minus goal difference at home for the season , for the first time in 8 years presumably ,it would be a stat that backs up how I feel about our home performances.

More to the point, 9 goals in 3 games, 8 in the other 14.

That would work, I've renewed already because I think he's on his way. In any event about two years is the tenure of a manager here so the odds are very much on my side. In any event I can't see him staying without a forensic critique of his way of playing with the lack of goals resulting in him changing his way or a mutual agreement to leave.

Exactly - so why not do him the good grace to see what he can do in a second year. With a full preseason under his belt, with the players he wants in the squad, without the upheaval of losing your best front players and defensive players to injury and / or transfer. Given the hand that he was dealt, I think he has done a pretty good job. Yes its not the best to watch - I accept that (and no I don't go to games) - but under the circumstances I think he warrants another year, I don't think he will get it, but I think he warrants it.

Unfortunately I think many have been a little spoiled by our exploits over the passed 3 years and now expect improvement year on year. Highly unlikely that it was ever going to happen without massive investment. So we will get rid of Puel, get somebody else in and I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish lower than this season. what then, sack the new man because the football was scintillating but the results didn't match. Funny old game, football.

Exactly - so why not do him the good grace to see what he can do in a second year. With a full preseason under his belt, with the players he wants in the squad, without the upheaval of losing your best front players and defensive players to injury and / or transfer. Given the hand that he was dealt, I think he has done a pretty good job. Yes its not the best to watch - I accept that (and no I don't go to games) - but under the circumstances I think he warrants another year, I don't think he will get it, but I think he warrants it.

Unfortunately I think many have been a little spoiled by our exploits over the passed 3 years and now expect improvement year on year. Highly unlikely that it was ever going to happen without massive investment. So we will get rid of Puel, get somebody else in and I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish lower than this season. what then, sack the new man because the football was scintillating but the results didn't match. Funny old game, football.

football cannot be scintillating unless you have that style of player. Romeau JWP and Davis do not know how to play that way

This is not an unreasonable point of view and I sway between go now and giving him another season. However I think he only knows how to play one way and I don't see the entertainment value going up. I do think the next two matches could be crucial for him-6 points I think the board will keep him, two losses I think he'll go. The only caveat to that would be if the tales of dressing room unrest are true and significant he might not be able to save his job no matter what happens tonight and Sunday.

I wouldn't be sad to see him go, if he stays it just a bit meh combined with wait and see.

No, based on watching both managers and comparing styles. Gabbi wouldn't be dropping back to the edge of his own box to get the ball under Koeman. He wouldn't be isolated up front with no one around him. He be on the end of counter attacks.

It's also based on current attacking players such as Long and Tadic who have massively gone backwards under Puel.

It's based on the amount of goals we scored last year compared to this year.

Other than that, you're right mate. Koemans rubbish, he keeps getting lucky with the players he has, he certainly doesn't play to the squads strengths. Same with Poch.

Never said that so try to avoid making things up to rant at me about old chap :rolleyes: ... you have a distinct dislike for everything sfc why bother? as i feel you will never be remotely pleased unless

the club do exactly what you want at all times... go glory hunt elsewhere is my advice to you

Think yourself lucky you boycotted the League and FA cup games when you couldn't get your Kingsland seat - they were dire.

Watching turgid games is all part of being a fan. Yeah some has been crp this season but think everyone is exaggerating by being egged on by others and previous games. Arsenal was not anywhere near as bad as many made out and if put in that performance under Poch no one would moan but now everyone want to whinge at poor old Claude.

Weird logic, only because you've completely fabricated the point. Where did I say that? I said for league finishes that have no inherent significance, point finishes are relevant contextual information -and in those situations, I can imagine scenarios where I might trade off a position in the league for a higher points total.

Post #139

Normally it's us older people who are miserable gits, but on here the younger ones are taking over. The advantage of a bit of experience is that we can put things into a slightly wider perspective.

So home performances have been disappointing and we haven't made, and more particularly, taken enough chances, but it's all getting a bit overwrought and exaggerated here.

A change after one year isn't going to resolve issues, will cost and be disruptive. Just like some of the players we need to allow a bit of time. A season without Europe and the rotation that involved, important players back from injury, some stability and a judicious signing could all make a big difference. That will be a truer test to see if we can get to a final, finish higher than eighth AND play sparkling, scoring football.

Think yourself lucky you boycotted the League and FA cup games when you couldn't get your Kingsland seat - they were dire.

Watching turgid games is all part of being a fan. Yeah some has been crp this season but think everyone is exaggerating by being egged on by others and previous games. Arsenal was not anywhere near as bad as many made out and if put in that performance under Poch no one would moan but now everyone want to whinge at poor old Claude.

I didn't boycott them and I was there - with my grandson. There were worse than dire and I don't accept that watching turgid games should be part of our remit. We were in the Itchen freezing our butts off for Norwich and bored to tears and in the Chapel for Sunderland straining to see if anybody was actually moving about. The Arsenal game was sold under false pretences in my opinion. There was no need to put out our reserves and I can't forget the looks on all the faces of the poor youngsters who had been taken by their mums and dads and forced to sit through that. They hadn't gone to see us get stuffed by Arsenal.

I have just paid £1474 for our two seats and I don't want to have to sit through another season like this. I love football and I'd like to see some next year.

Normally it's us older people who are miserable gits, but on here the younger ones are taking over. The advantage of a bit of experience is that we can put things into a slightly wider perspective.

So home performances have been disappointing and we haven't made, and more particularly, taken enough chances, but it's all getting a bit overwrought and exaggerated here.

A change after one year isn't going to resolve issues, will cost and be disruptive. Just like some of the players we need to allow a bit of time. A season without Europe and the rotation that involved, important players back from injury, some stability and a judicious signing could all make a big difference. That will be a truer test to see if we can get to a final, finish higher than eighth AND play sparkling, scoring football.

You're absolutely right. Too many are too young to remember what it's like to have something to feel really miserable about.

Like relegation. Like fighting relegation. Like adminstration. Like bottom of League 1 on -10 points. Like actually having to worry about P*mpey as rivals rather than a laughing stock.

I could go on. In fact, I usually do. It's my age.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

From all that I've read Puel doesn't like to play that way. There has been no evidence of it (at home) since the EFL final.

You're absolutely right. Too many are too young to remember what it's like to have something to feel really miserable about.

Like relegation. Like fighting relegation. Like adminstration. Like bottom of League 1 on -10 points. Like actually having to worry about P*mpey as rivals rather than a laughing stock.

I could go on. In fact, I usually do. It's my age.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's almost as if some people are happy to sit back and let us go back to that !

8th is 8th but we have stumbled there more than got there.

We are 20 points behind a Man Utd that has stumbled along for most of the season (despite investment) and they are only 6th. A Man Utd side that we clearly showed in the cup final that we could compete with (and should have beaten).

We are only 7 points from the 17th team, so it's more a case IMO of a lot of teams being crapper than us, rather than any achievement on our part.

Plus the distinct lack of goals as well.

8th IMO papers over the cracks, not to mention we could easily drop to 11th by the end of the season. And the 16 points behind an Everton team that really on paper is no better than ours IMO.