Jump to content

Club Crest: would you change it?


Recommended Posts

Posted

I wouldn’t be adverse to the old Southampton city crest being used on a shirt, maybe even a third kit. Some teams with adidas as their supplier have had retro style thirds kits made, with the trefoil and a retro club badge, I’d love to have seen something like that for us.

  • Like 1
Posted

Keep it, looks good, nothing wrong with it as it is and pretty much all new crests/badges look shite anyway and end up being refreshed to something else that also looks shite.  Anyone that wants a new one can go do their own and get a tattoo of that on their arse if they're that bothered about it.

  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

Something wrong with clubs changing their crests every 10-20 years and NO we dont need to change ours.

Edited by SaintsLoyal
  • Like 4
Posted
31 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Something wrong with clubs changing their crests every 10-20 years and NO we dont need to change ours.

We didn't have our current one for 89 years of the clubs existence. Things change.

Posted

Keep ours as it’s fine in my eyes, instantly recognisable as the saints with the halo over the ball. I did think years ago the ball halo and scarf with Southampton Fc underneath cd be a good simpler alternative but I think keep what we have. Other teams seem to change and not make them any better. 

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Keep it it different. Almost carton like compared to a lot of the modern ones. We have done well to keep it as it is since 1974… the year I was born!

Oh I quite like the Stoke one. 

Cambridge United changed theirs last season it is terrible! 

  • 3 months later...
Posted

o7808bc4hhth1.jpeg

This surfaced on Reddit earlier today, some of the initial designs and sketches that Rolland Parris made when designing the crest.

Not my preference, but I think the designs on the left hand side are remarkably way ahead of their time for something from 1974 and wouldn't look out of place on the cover of a match day programme from the early 2000s.

I really admire how striking the red and white shield is on its own. In my opinion, the best version of the crest is the 1976 tribute version where 'Southampton FC' is shown without the black background, like this badge from last season:

4807-0.jpg?v=1783778394

 

  • Like 1
Posted
On 25/06/2026 at 23:46, bpsaint said:

I wouldn’t be adverse to the old Southampton city crest being used on a shirt, maybe even a third kit. Some teams with adidas as their supplier have had retro style thirds kits made, with the trefoil and a retro club badge, I’d love to have seen something like that for us.

Does this count as manifesting? Where if you want something and you put it out to the universe it actually happens?

If so I’d really really like it if Sydney Sweeney smothered me to death with her massive tits.

I’ll let you all know how it goes. Or someone else will hopefully.

  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

o7808bc4hhth1.jpeg

This surfaced on Reddit earlier today, some of the initial designs and sketches that Rolland Parris made when designing the crest.

Interesting. I always thought the common misconception was that the tree was thought to be a reference to the New Forest, whereas the original intent was a nod to the various city parks. From those notes, it appears it’s actually supposed to be growth and strength, but it also actually is the NF.

Edit; yep, just checked back a few pages on this thread and this post from Fan the Flames (which I admit also rang a bell with me when he originally posted it).

There was a thread on the badge on the message board before this one (what was that called again) and Rolland Parris' son/ grandson came on and said the tree represented the green parks of the city. Growing up outside of Southampton I had always assumed that the tree represented The Dell, not being aware that most believed to be the for the New Forest.

 

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1
Posted

I always believed the tree was a reference to the huge oaks on the common which of course is central to the city, and borders the Dell which was home. Southampton has an unusually large amount of public park land compared to other British cities.

The New Forest doesn't feel local enough to be the reference in 1974 when of course the average family was far less mobile than now.

Posted
2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

New Forest. 

This was also my understanding and recollection of the description given by the club at the time of its launch in 1974.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I always believed the tree was a reference to the huge oaks on the common which of course is central to the city, and borders the Dell which was home. Southampton has an unusually large amount of public park land compared to other British cities.

The New Forest doesn't feel local enough to be the reference in 1974 when of course the average family was far less mobile than now.

The New Forest is literally referenced in the notes by the designer posted above (together with growth and strength).

 

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...