Something big happening

manji

Which posters? Which posts? (hint: there aren't any. At all.)

That's lucky, because no one does.

if thinking that Puel would have become one of our best managers ever, then I will put my hand up. McMenemy who without doubt was out best ever manager got us relegated in his first season. Imagine social media with that!!!!!!! To have expected Puel to shape the squad in the little time he had and without the goalscorers is pretty pathetic. It could be said the same with MP of course, but there did seem a plan and system that worked under Puel

Bingo. I totally agree with you. It would appear that some posters now view Puel as some kind of shining beacon of brilliance. Not so. Last season our home form was absolutely rubbish. It is again this season. Both Puel and Pellegrino's teams play the same dull, possession based risk free stiflingly boring brand of 'football'.

Both were and are terrible. Anyone who thinks Puel, retrospectively was some kind of Management genius is clearly suffering from a memory illness.

Both deliver/delivered dull football but I'd say pelligrino is a lot worse, I was far from a puel fan but at least he got us to a final, 8th in the table & managed to grind out the odd draw against the top sides...... Pelligrino has done none of that!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Loads of managers would do better with what we have despite the limited ability of many in the squad. Big Sam was one example.
Most of the stuff he posts is ridiculous, one of our less subtle trainee trolls I fear.

Edit. Should have read on, he obviously fooled absolutely nobody, a Heisenberg / Glasgow wannabe methinks.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

if thinking that Puel would have become one of our best managers ever, then I will put my hand up. McMenemy who without doubt was out best ever manager got us relegated in his first season. Imagine social media with that!!!!!!! To have expected Puel to shape the squad in the little time he had and without the goalscorers is pretty pathetic. It could be said the same with MP of course, but there did seem a plan and system that worked under Puel
He had 50 odd games . How is that too little time ? Mopo changed our style very quickly

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

FFS man why don't you **** off and support Leicester..all you ever post is Puel this Puel that...he is gone get over it or fick off with your dreamboat.

Puel would have become one of our best managers ever?! I’ve read it all on here now.

Puel would have become one of our best managers ever?! I’ve read it all on here now.

He is obsessed with him..absolutely obsessed, it can never be proved whether he would have been good or bad this season and yet every post he makes, is about him being such a brilliant manager.

Bingo. I totally agree with you. It would appear that some posters now view Puel as some kind of shining beacon of brilliance. Not so. Last season our home form was absolutely rubbish. It is again this season. Both Puel and Pellegrino's teams play the same dull, possession based risk free stiflingly boring brand of 'football'.

Both were and are terrible. Anyone who thinks Puel, retrospectively was some kind of Management genius is clearly suffering from a memory illness.

Certainly a few crazy dudes out there.

He's a world class manager, it's a shame our idiot fans are unable to see this.

More and more people are able to see the real reason for our situation. Hopefully those who refuse to blame the players for anything at all will remove their heads from the sands soon.

Relegation (as seems likely if board does not act now), as with most disasters (bankruptcy, divorce etc.) results from a combination of events (the perfect storm if you like), and in our case it is also a combination of events. Some unfortunate and unavoidable - ML sadly passing away, NC, 1st MP leaving - granted these were some years ago but that is when our malaise really began.

Others were certainly avoidable - did Kate really do best by the club? If so why not state the intention of the new owner? What has Ralph really added to the club - where is the added commercial income? Under Armour - we still get a lot less than than Spurs from them - Virgin was that him, and what is that worth anyway? Les Reed - may have done well in the past but surely well past his sell by date. The assumption that "The Southampton Way" were the new tablets of stone that Les brought down from the mountain is an absolute fallacy, and where we (as in our board) deluded themselves. Yes, we cracked the code for a while, but constantly selling our best players and reinvesting less have told. Get rid of our best talent spotter and developer, and "Black Box" inventor and what do we expect?

The other factor in the perfect storm is the increased TV money - most other clubs in PL used that to improve their squad, but we had "The Southampton Way" and not only not use that for team improvement but made net profits from transfers.

Ultimately (on average) it is no coincidence, if you do things on the cheap you get cheap results. Sad times but rather have entertaining football than being in the PL and being this miserable about a team I have supported for nearly 40 years! Some of the best games I watched were in the old L2!

Decent post

For any club outside the top 6 the chance of 'failure' is ever present and next season we could be down in the Championship trying to do well against a number of well supported sides with better support than us.

We have been on an upward curve since the Liebherr takeover but the constant loss of good players and managers (I don't necessarily blame the board for this btw) was always likely to come home to roost.

As has been said elsewhere the general malaise has permeated down through the ranks to the much vaunted youth section.

Like quite a few on here I was concerned that the less than inspiring performances at the tail end of last season was an indicator of challenges this season.

That said I doubt that many of us (even a card carrying pessimist like me) would have forseen the disarray the club is in currently.

The first team squad should be good for a mid table finish but I have to say the Manager and Coaching staff seem to have royally cocked up with team selection and playing systems.

Team spirit is sorely lacking and injuries (which we have generally avoided up until recently) are beginning to kick in.

I will renew my season ticket next year but can envisage lots of familiar faces around me departing and we will all have to put up with the re-emergence of lots of Premier shirt clad part time supporters in evidence around the city.

As a long standing supporter I have been through it all before.

I feel sorry for the younger breed who have been used to the club doing well and not having to go through the current struggle and pathetic performances.

I also feel sorry for those having to endure the long trip to Old Trafford for yet another insipid performance

FFS man why don't you **** off and support Leicester..all you ever post is Puel this Puel that...he is gone get over it or fick off with your dreamboat.
I have to drum it in as a lot of our fans are too thick to absorb the truth quickly.

All the whining and moaning has got us where? from 8th to a great chance of relegation, well done

I have to drum it in as a lot of our fans are too thick to absorb the truth quickly.

All the whining and moaning has got us where? from 8th to a great chance of relegation, well done

I know Nick it is hard work getting it into thick skulls. As I trooped out today having shipped five goals, and contemplated the long journey coming up Saturday, I looked back longingly to the 4 goals at both Sunderland and Watford, the 3 goals at Wet Spam and Bournemouth, the wins at Boro and West Brom and, most enjoyable of all, the wins at Anfield and Emirates en route to Wembley. This season we have won on the road just once, 1-0 at Palace who at that time had yet to score a goal all season back then.

Still, if the three dull May home games never to be repeated was too much for some of our headbangers to cope with, I guess it’s is all too much....

Given the poor form, disharmony in the squad and supposed request to change his style, what evidence do you have to suggest Puel would have done any better with the players we have?

I suspect had he stayed, we’d be in a similar position.

1) The board made Puel's position untenable, not the fans.

2) The board chose Puel's replacement, not the fans.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Given the poor form, disharmony in the squad and supposed request to change his style, what evidence do you have to suggest Puel would have done any better with the players we have?

I suspect had he stayed, we’d be in a similar position.

If he had stayed, he may have brought some players in that suited. There is no proof either way, but you suspect we'd be in the same position. In my opinion we would not have been

Do you actually believe that fans sack managers? If you do you are seriously naive. A then Southampton Football Club employee was asked by his bosses to alter the way in which he went about his duties, he refused and so he was removed from his post. If he had changed then there’s every chance he’d still be here but he didn’t. To insinuate that the blame for Puel’s sacking lies with fans who expressed displeasure at having spent their hard earned on a season of very few goals at St Mary’s (culminating in zero in the last six) it’s just total nonsense.

Did you ever look at the actual table?

I find it bewildering that fans can just shout 8th as if points, goals, momentum and player performance mean nothing. I expect it from those outside the club, paying very little attention to Southampton. Even then, if you were a fan of any of the bottom 12/13, you'd know full well how **** everyone was.

46 points. We weren't that far off relegation last season. It was a big decline and countless players went backwards. That has carried on this season.

This black and white 8th = good stuff, it's what I expect from the thickest of 606 callers. We ended the season badly and came 8th despite not scoring any goals, because other teams proved just as bad. There were so few points between teams, a few goals elsewhere and we're bottom half.

So you're judging a whole season good or bad, a manager's job good or bad, based on a handful of results of OTHER TEAMS. Then you call other fans too thick to comprehend your resistance to insight???

remember that in May if we finish with 46 100 or 20 points but finish 18th we get relegated. Last season we finished 8th because we finished with more points than the others below. That's how leagues work you know.

You and others who moaned and whined because we failed to score, were part of the reason the board sacked the manager. We finished 8th, by getting more points than other teams. I doubt you went to the Cup Final as I assume we were not exciting enough, it was an exciting match btw where we played some exciting football

No that's exactly it...you don't need to drum it in you sanctimonious *****.

We get your view point, you make it all the ****ing time...you're wrong but you make it all the same.

You will never ever ever make me believe Puel was the right man for us, so move on, stop living in the past..he ain't coming back so get over it.

Why can't you move on or **** off and support Leicester?

We get your view point, you make it all the ****ing time...you're wrong but you make it all the same.

You will never ever ever make me believe Puel was the right man for us, so move on, stop living in the past..he ain't coming back so get over it.

What a joker. Somebody should just shut up or support another side because you don't agree with their opinion. We had hundreds of posts whining and crying about Puel last season and I don't recall people being told to **** off and support someone else. I posted last season that 8th and a cup final was the best we were going to get and received dogs load of abuse, we even had the ridiculous redefinition of what constitutes being 8th in the league. Well you got your wish, and Puel went and now we're seeing the outcome. I'm sure you'll default to the line that a poor replacement doesn't make the sacking of Puel wrong, but anybody with half a brain could see that our squad is shiete and the players are over pampered and soft mentally. Until this genius figure comes along and turns this lot into the 8th best team whilst also playing exciting fast throwing (not forgetting the hipsters favourite tactic "pressing" football), you'll never convince me that Puel did anything other than a ****ing good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW I also thought that Puel was the right man for us, I wanted him to be given at least another season. Just saying...

Sadly you are correct he is not coming back. When we are muddling around the Championship the penny might drop. If Leicester fail under Puel I will come on and admit that he is a poor manager and you were right, if he is a success I doubt you will come on and say you were wrong. A lot of fans ( not saying this is you) seem to think it is some kind of shame to admit they are wrong.

You have to ask yourselves what is the reason(s) that we are unable to hold onto decent managers and decent players, and the reasons are a) lack of true ambition and b) unwillingness to pay what other clubs are prepared to pay, its simple, but its a balance, we are a well run club that doesn’t want to get into debt so this is where the limit of our ambition ends.

We just have to accept that we are a club who is never going to live above its means and will always be a mediocre outfit, occasionally punching above its means but also occasionally flirting with relegation, managers will come and go, if they are any good then they will move on to a bigger club and if they are crap then they will probably get moved on, we have to get used to this, the best we can hope for is a manager staying around for a couple of seasons if we are lucky.

The only way this will ever change is if a big investor feels like wasting a shed load of notes but I wouldn’t hold your breath!

I think what everyone saints fans craves is entertaining, seat of your pants football regardless if we win, lose or draw, football is in the business of entertainment and people want to come away from the stadium feeling as if the players have entertained and given it their best shot and I think the players and the manager can be forgiven if you feel you have been entertained but we still ended up losing.

Pellegrino and his team are not entertaining and nor did Puel and his teams, so that is why Puel was sacked and it will also be why Pellegrino will probably manage his last Southampton game in a few days.

You have to ask yourselves what is the reason(s) that we are unable to hold onto decent managers and decent players, and the reasons are a) lack of true ambition and b) unwillingness to pay what other clubs are prepared to pay, its simple, but its a balance, we are a well run club that doesn’t want to get into debt so this is where the limit of our ambition ends.

We just have to accept that we are a club who is never going to live above its means and will always be a mediocre outfit, occasionally punching above its means but also occasionally flirting with relegation, managers will come and go, if they are any good then they will move on to a bigger club and if they are crap then they will probably get moved on, we have to get used to this, the best we can hope for is a manager staying around for a couple of seasons if we are lucky.

The only way this will ever change is if a big investor feels like wasting a shed load of notes but I wouldn’t hold your breath!

Anyone sympathetic to this opinion should check on the Fair Play Rules. Limitation on spending is not a matter of choice.

What a joker. Somebody should just shut up or support another side because you don't agree with their opinion. We had hundreds of posts whining and crying about Puel last season and I don't recall people being told to **** off and support someone else. I posted last season that 8th and a cup final was the best we were going to get and received dogs load of abuse, we even had the ridiculous redefinition of what constitutes being 8th in the league. Well you got your wish, and Puel went and now we're seeing the outcome. I'm sure you'll default to the line that a poor replacement doesn't make the sacking of Puel wrong, but anybody with half a brain could see that our squad is shiete and the players are over pampered and soft mentally. Until this genius figure comes along and turns this lot into the 8th best team whilst also playing exciting fast throwing (not forgetting the hipsters favourite tactic "pressing" football), you'll never convince me that Puel did anything other than a ****ing good job.

Yes all the simpletons who think success is so easy to achieve. Amusing that occasionally they have evidence to prove it ain’t so simple and still just move on to a well yeah we should have got better.

No he is entitled to his opinion but to post that over and over and over again when you or him cant prove what the outcome would have been if he stayed is just boring. It's not even Saints related any more...if you have to do it post it on the defectors thread!

I respect that you both think he was good, I honestly do. But the argument has been done to death man..and it can't be proven either way now can it?

Even after he left he continues to divide the fan base Lol..

In many ways I can't get my head round Puel's spell in charge. Your right we played some great attacking football during the cup final, we also had those wins at Sunderland and Watford in the same period were we scored 4 and were much more attack minded. However, in complete contrast, the last 8 games were utter garbage with the home game against Hull being one of the worst I've seen at St Mary's. The european campaign was also an embarrassment, for a club that makes european competition so infrequently I'll never understand Puel's attitude toward it...that final game versus Ber Sheeva where he set us up to play for a goaless draw was abysmal. Overall I was on the fence when he got sacked but ultimately it was the boards decision not the fans.

FWIW I also thought that Puel was the right man for us, I wanted him to be given at least another season. Just saying...

I totally respect your opinion..we are all allowed them and they can be as different to mine as you like! However don't get upset if I don't share it. You also don't have to "drum" your opinion into me...thanks.

Errrr no that's not what I said..he can have his opinion.

However he said he believes he has to "drum" his opinion into my head, we will never know whether Puel would have done well...so why do you all keep going on about it? He ain't coming back! Get over it.

I think what everyone saints fans craves is entertaining, seat of your pants football regardless if we win, lose or draw, football is in the business of entertainment and people want to come away from the stadium feeling as if the players have entertained and given it their best shot and I think the players and the manager can be forgiven if you feel you have been entertained but we still ended up losing.

Pellegrino and his team are not entertaining and nor did Puel and his teams, so that is why Puel was sacked and it will also be why Pellegrino will probably manage his last Southampton game in a few days.

2 good posts lordswoodsaints, pretty well sums up my view.

Sadly you are correct he is not coming back. When we are muddling around the Championship the penny might drop. If Leicester fail under Puel I will come on and admit that he is a poor manager and you were right, if he is a success I doubt you will come on and say you were wrong. A lot of fans ( not saying this is you) seem to think it is some kind of shame to admit they are wrong.

I bet creepy SKD is going through all your past posts as we speak

What a treat, a fella talking absolute sense in a sea of entitled Puel boo boys frantically trying to explain how he was just as s**t as the clown that is MP.

Please someone, reply to this saying you:

1) Boo’d CP out of the club because you don’t think 8th and a cup final are very good..

2) Still think MP is just as bad as CP..

3) Throw in a suggestion as to who in world football might have done a better job than CP last year given our squad?

Seriously, please enlighten me? I must be an idiot because this looks significantly worse than last season to me right now. Or maybe there is just no one on this forum who boo’d our man out last year.

And please don’t suggest the boo’s and jeers don’t make a difference-of course they f**king do [emoji849]

What a treat, a fella talking absolute sense in a sea of entitled Puel boo boys frantically trying to explain how he was just as s**t as the clown that is MP.

Please someone, reply to this saying you:

1) Boo’d CP out of the club because you don’t think 8th and a cup final are very good..

2) Still think MP is just as bad as CP..

3) Throw in a suggestion as to who in world football might have done a better job than CP last year given our squad?

Seriously, please enlighten me? I must be an idiot because this looks significantly worse than last season to me right now. Or maybe there is just no one on this forum who boo’d our man out last year.

And please don’t suggest the boo’s and jeers don’t make a difference-of course they f**king do [emoji849]

Someone else that thinks a multi-million pound company sacked one of their most important employees because a few fans booed during a lap of honour at the end of the season...

I bet creepy SKD is going through all your past posts as we speak
Oldnick's past posts would be a journey into the mind of a lunatic.

When Koeman was here and finishing 7th and 6th Nick spent his time on here saying how that finishing 7th wasn't really an achievement and fans that thought it was a success were not ambitious and supported failure and he himself would never accept that as a success because we should be trying to win the league etc etc. Over and over again.

We spin on the the present and now he's saying that Puel was on the verge of being our greatest ever manager on the back of scraping into eighth place by our fingernails, and berati g people that don't agree.

He's a fruitloop.

Someone else that thinks a multi-million pound company sacked one of their most important employees because a few fans booed during a lap of honour at the end of the season...

Nah, fans reactions to managers has never forced the hand of the board in English football. That’s certainly never happened..

Still happy to hear whether your preferred choice last season was Mourinho or Guardiola though? I mean we’re entitled not only to top 8 finishes and cup finals but also rock and bloody roll football too aren’t we?

Nah, fans reactions to managers has never forced the hand of the board in English football. That’s certainly never happened..

Still happy to hear whether your preferred choice last season was Mourinho or Guardiola though? I mean we’re entitled not only to top 8 finishes and cup finals but also rock and bloody roll football too aren’t we?

Yes, boards have bent to the wishes of fans after periods of sustained pressure from the terraces but I was at SMS when Puel was booed after the Stoke game and if that’s enough to sway the board into making an important company decision costing millions of pounds in compensation then it’s fully their responsibility for being too weak.

It’s the new thing on here to say that the fans drove Puel out of the club but it’s total b*llocks. In reality there was no sustained anger from the stands at SMS, just frustration at our inability to score goals and then a load of posts on here (and unless you’re suggesting Les Reed has a login and takes advice from us that’s totally irrelevant). Puel was sacked because he was asked to change his style and he refused to do so, he was not sacked by the fans. Seriously, some Pro-Puelers need to get a grip.

We are where we are and I suspect most would freely admit they’d rather have kept Puel than appointed the hopeless Pellegrino but at the time it was hoped we’d do better (don’t forget we had finished sixth with record points the year before). As it stands and as we currently are Puel did a spectacular job but at the time people were commenting on Puel they didn’t have the benefit of hindsight from the car crash of this season.

Agree with what you say. It is very easy and 'simplistic' to blame everything on the manager. The squad quality has been allowed to decline over the last three years. In some respects we have benefitted last season from other teams sitting back off us out of respect for a team that they had played in previous season. Now they all know our weakness and are going for the jugular.

Forster's stock has fallen the most. All the other teams know he cannot get down low to the corner of his goal and are filling their boots.

We are in deep trouble and if lucky we might escape, but where is the team willpower?

Yes, boards have bent to the wishes of fans after periods of sustained pressure from the terraces but I was at SMS when Puel was booed after the Stoke game and if that’s enough to sway the board into making an important company decision costing millions of pounds in compensation then it’s fully their responsibility for being too weak.

It’s the new thing on here to say that the fans drove Puel out of the club but it’s total b*llocks. In reality there was no sustained anger from the stands at SMS, just frustration at our inability to score goals and then a load of posts on here (and unless you’re suggesting Les Reed has a login and takes advice from us that’s totally irrelevant). Puel was sacked because he was asked to change his style and he refused to do so, he was not sacked by the fans. Seriously, some Pro-Puelers need to get a grip.

We are where we are and I suspect most would freely admit they’d rather have kept Puel than appointed the hopeless Pellegrino but at the time it was hoped we’d do better (don’t forget we had finished sixth with record points the year before). As it stands and as we currently are Puel did a spectacular job but at the time people were commenting on Puel they didn’t have the benefit of hindsight from the car crash of this season.

Yes I agree, a combination of fans reaction and the board being weak to that persuasion did the trick for CP. I do think both the senior management at SFC and the rest of English football generally was asking what more Saints fans wanted though-in my opinion justifiably-even at the time. We had this conversation in our group as the Northam was getting ready to boo him round in the game you mention.

Whilst a 6th place finish the season before was a spectacularly good season, the reality is that building on that position was impossible. Barring ‘doing a Leicester’ It would have required about half a billion quid in the squad-basically replacing every individual player.

And yes, we are where we are and as I’ve just been called a boring c**t, FWIW, I will nail my colours to the mast and say MP has lost both the fans and the dressing room and IMO his time is up. While I don’t actually think we’ll get relegated if he sees out this season it’s currently looking like a battle to the last few games (with City last game) and that would be an unacceptable performance.

There were plenty of people on here claiming that the club were ringing them asking why they hadn’t renewed their season ticket, who took great delight in telling us it was because of Puel. One, if I remember correctly boasted that he couldn’t renew, but told them it was because of Puel anyway. So trying to pretend pressure from social media & supporters didn’t make a difference to the decision is just deluded. It wasn’t just boos at the Stoke game, there were boos at the end of the last 3 or 4 home games, ffs there were even boos after a 0-0 against Utd. I know the lynch mob don’t want to admit their role in the decision, as it’s turned out to be a disastrous one, but along with the over paid, pampered players, their attitude was taken into consideration. Unless people are trying to say that the club called non renewers, but then took no notice of their answers ( but sacked him anyway). Personally I’d have called them and when they cried “ I’m not renewing because I’m not seeing lots of goals and excitement “ told them **** off, you won’t be missed, but that’s a different debate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally respect your opinion..we are all allowed them and they can be as different to mine as you like! However don't get upset if I don't share it. You also don't have to "drum" your opinion into me...thanks.
'Get upset' by anything that is on this board - you are having a laugh aren't you. As for drumming it into you, I simply stated my opinion once. I think everybody else can see the stream coming out of your ears though.

This is getting really really boring now. Some people believe puel was poor and that we should have replaced him, rumours were that some players wanted the club to get rid too and so the club acted. Others believe we were wrong to sack him. Puel's subsequent performance at Leicester with entirely different players and a different system and setup have no bearing at all on whether this was the correct decision or not. Far worse from the club was replacing puel with an inferior manager and that is the decision that they should be castigated for.

We will never be able to know for sure that puel would have done really well or worse this season and so it is completely and utterly pointless for the usual suspects to keep bringing it up in every single thread. We get it, you didn't want puel to be sacked. Let's all move on an concentrate on getting someone in who can repair the malaise and damage done over the past two years.

There were plenty of people on here claiming that the club were ringing them asking why they hadn’t renewed their season ticket, who took great delight in telling us it was because of Puel. One, if I remember correctly boasted that he couldn’t renew, but told them it was because of Puel anyway. So trying to pretend pressure from social media & supporters didn’t make a difference to the decision is just deluded. It wasn’t just boos at the Stoke game, there were boos at the end of the last 3 or 4 home games, ffs there were even boos after a 0-0 against Utd. I know the lynch mob don’t want to admit their role in the decision, as it’s turned out to be a disastrous one, but along with the over paid, pampered players, their attitude was taken into consideration. Unless people are trying to say that the club called non renewers, but then took no notice of their answers ( but sacked him anyway). Personally I’d have called them and when they cried “ I’m not renewing because I’m not seeing lots of goals and excitement “ told them **** off, you won’t be missed, but that’s a different debate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F*cking boring.

F*cking boring.

Hes trolling!! Ignore him

Read back his posts frim last year....very little Puel support was all about his Koeman obsession, when Koeman was in charge it was a mopo obsession, when mopo was here it was Adkins.....

Guy must still fantasise about his ex girlfriend